[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If the newest and greatest technology is so important why does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4
File: nc-citroen.jpg (49 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
nc-citroen.jpg
49 KB, 450x300
If the newest and greatest technology is so important why does everybody in Paris drive manual, even in the city?
>>
>>51781418
Because manual is mechanically simple, hard to break unless you mess with the clutch too much, and the automatragic market isn't as strong overseas as it is in America.
>>
>>51781418
Because they don't want americans driving on their streets
>>
>>51781748
>mercedes crumbles like cornbread
<fatscooter remains intact

being so fat you require a mobility scooter is the true redpill
>>
Paying money so you can be lazy is not as strong an aspect of European culture as it is American culture. They would rather spend the 800 extra Euro the automatic costs on something else.
>>
>>51781854
quite a few cars sold in america aren't even available with a manual transmission
>>
>>51781418
Because in Europe we learn to drive with a manual and not an automatic. We're not autistic and do not need help to drive
>>
>>51781882
Latin America also uses manual, some murricans didn't even learn manual
>>
>>51781880
I know, and that's fine for big trucks and luxury cars and crossovers. What kills me is when people buy automatic sports cars, or the fact that automatic sports cars even exist. It's completely missing the point.

For something visceral like driving, sometimes more technology is bad.
>>
Ameriburger reporting in, you can pry my manual transmission from my cold, fat hands.
>>
>>51781917
i love driving a stick and it's getting increasingly harder to find them on new cars here.

it's depressing
>>
>>51781917
The never learn it. Having a manual car is the safest lock you could ever have in your vehicule
>>
>>51781927
> wants people to be more distracted while driving faster

Plz stop
>>
>>51781882
>>51781917
>>51781931
>>51781940
>I enjoy laboring
>>
>>51781972
eh, doesn't keep them from breaking the window first
>>
>>51782015
by your definition, typing that post was laborious.
>>
>>51781995
>manual
>more distracting
it's not distracting at all once you get the hang of it
>>
>>51781418

>>>/o/
>>
>>51782039
your opinion is shit
>>
>>51781995
>he needs to think to shift

>>51781972
This is true. After all, how is Tyrone going to steal your car if he doesn‘t know what the third pedal does?
>>
>>51782070
My girlfriend's mom drives stick exclusively, and while it certainly may become second nature, it's absolutely less safe than an automatic. One hand off the wheel means a longer reaction time. Your "muh visceral driving experience" concept is retarded.
>>
>>51782022
No but a broken window is cheaper to replace than an entire car
>>
>>51782095
so is that of >>51782015
>>
>>51782135
deductible is the same.
>>
>>51782015
Because driving stick is sooooo laboring, like you have to change the position of your hand and foot. You're so gonna die from exhaustion
>>
>>51782129
FUCKING LOL.

Probably the most idiotic thing I have ever read.
>>
>>51782129
Because move one hand less than 3 seconds once on a while is so different than using your phone or the GPS while driving
>>
>>51782194
And I wonder what type of driver is on their phone more often.. the autotragic or a manual?

Not really sure why would you need both hand on the wheel to react, surely by now the vast majority of cars have power steering.
>>
>>51782129
>One hand off the wheel means a longer reaction time.
If you knew how to drive manual you would know you're not supposed to rest your other hand on the shifter. 90% of your time driving you should have two hands on the wheel, including when you are in the most danger (travelling at high speed in the final gear).

I would argue it's more safe than automatic because you are more engaged in driving and less likely to get distracted by passengers or your phone, or just plain falling asleep.
>>
>>51782194

> using your phone while driving

I honestly hope you die.

Inb4 "I'm SPECIAL, I'm just a better driver than everyone else on the road, it's <group name> you have to watch out for!"
>>
>>51782171
>I like to do tedious things
>>
>>51782236
>>51782226
The point I was trying to make was not that it was ok to be on your phone while driving.

Being on your phone( unfortunately a lot of people does it), playing with the options of the radio or GPS is something you often do in your car. You are far more inattentive and endangering yourself by doing that than just move your right hand for 3 seconds of the wheel. Your attention is still on the road and you're not distracted
>>
>falling for the Tiptronic SportShift E-iShift Sensodrive H-Matic ActiveSelect*§ meme

* you agree to pay for something that can be done for free
§ you agree to double your transmission's maintenance cost for being a complete retard
- t. car manufacturer

Unless it's a full-blown race-car, automatic is tantamount to buying a prebuilt PC. If you can't into manual, consider driving off a cliff immediately.
>>
>>51782327
so do you, being that you post on 4chan.
>>
>>51782327
If you think that shifting gear is tedious then driving must be too. Just walk anon, oh wait, it's so exhausting you might die
>>
>>51782371
>If you can't into manual, consider driving off a cliff immediately.
if you live in the US it isn't always that much of a choice.
>>
File: 1440490450376.jpg (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1440490450376.jpg
32 KB, 500x500
>>51782129
LMAO dude
You cant be really THIS dumb
Fucking americans you dont even remotely know what the fuck you're talking about so please just shut the fuck up
Also I'm sure you don't keep both your hands on the wheel either
>>
>>51782386
Just another reason to buy from Mazda
>manual option on everything except crossovers
>reliable
>good interior and exterior quality and styling
>no stupid angry looking economy cars
>skyactive wizardry will bring back the rotary and make it pass emissions
>rumored they will convert many of their existing FWD platforms (mazda3, mazda6) to RWD for superior handling and more tuning headroom.
Based Mazda
>>
>>51782554
>rumored they will convert many of their existing FWD platforms (mazda3, mazda6) to RWD for superior handling and more tuning headroom
>live in any place where it snows

dropped.
>>
>>51782560
What are winter tires?
>>
>>51782610
a waste of money in any state, save alaska.
>>
File: 1449353123652.png (169 KB, 575x446) Image search: [Google]
1449353123652.png
169 KB, 575x446
>muh manual

I don't really get why doing a few extra things while driving makes you the second coming of Jesus.

Just drive your cars to Wal-Mart and shut the fuck up.
>>
>>51782712
>I don't really get why doing a few extra things while driving makes you the second coming of Jesus.
It doesn't.
I just enjoy it, and it frequently makes the car cost less.
>>
>>51782712
B-but the SKILL and muh tuning!

> manual drivers have a subconscious sexual attraction towards cars
>>
>>51782712
It's actually really similar to the CLI vs GUI debates that happen on here a lot.
>control vs ease of use
>learning curve vs intuitive
>power-user vs casual user
>esoteric vs inviting
>skill rewarding vs skill doesn't matter
etc.
>>
>>51782781
not really though

you can learn to use a stick in a manner of hours.
>>
>>51782781
>smug psychological masturbation vs. focusing on getting from point A to B without mechanically involving your body with the car's inner workings, something a car should have taken care of in the first place because it's a modern device that makes you work less and travel farther

I see.
>>
>>51781788
>death on a fat scooter
>>
>>51782852
according to that pic impossible unless you have a heart attack or diabetes finally gets to you
>>
>>51782830
You can learn the basics in a few hours, but learning to rev-match and heel-toe while pushing a car to the limit takes a lot of practice.
>>
>>51781927
Sports cars should be very highly computer controlled to cut down on loss of control by morons. Computers do everything better.

If you want a "driving experience", you don't need a sports car.
>>
>>51783014
>some people don't know how to do thing
>thus, nobody should get to do it

Would you happen to be an Apple user by any chance? How's not having root access or a file manager on your iPhone treating you?
>>
Seriously guys, the plebs on reddit can't get enough of sucking each other's dicks about driving manual, who even gives a fuck about obsolete tech - worse acceleration, clutch wear, annoying in stop and go traffic
>>
>>51781418

Because people get stuck in their ways. Just because a majority of people are doing or prefer something doesn't necessarily mean it's better.
>>
Automatic is just weird to drive with.
The handoff is not as smooth and I often accelerate while the automatic is changing.
Maybe that would change if I owned an automatic, but in Europe it is more expensive to get automatic.
That said, it is really nice to have it with cruise control so you can just push a button to get up to speed.
When the cars become fully self driving, I don't want to switch gears myself.
But if you think manual transmission is a distraction, hard labour or hard to learn then you are a fool.
>>
>>51781418
Because a manual transmission is superior unless you're a lazy faggot who probably shouldn't be driving. I don't see why someone would want less control, higher maintenance costs, and more shit to go wrong.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.