[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good tech channels out there that aren't just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 8
File: jew.png (281 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
jew.png
281 KB, 900x900
Are there any good tech channels out there that aren't just shilling to the max? Watching Linus is like watching an ad commercial at this point.
>>
No, there aren't. The whole point of YT channels is to make money, and brands give you money.
>>
>>51778780
I don't really watch tech youtube anymore, but I always like MBKHD
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNtWwCgceVs

>Using TITAN X 12GB cards for video editing workstations
>>
>hey guys i have millions of subs
>give me $50000 to move to a warehouse
>ignore im already renting a place and have heaps of staff!
>oops! need 10gig servers now cus im so popular
>>
>>51778780
>ad commercial
>>
>>51778889
how do I be a good goy and corporate shill for free swag?
>>
File: 1433698243654.png (29 KB, 613x556) Image search: [Google]
1433698243654.png
29 KB, 613x556
>>51778889
How did he become so rich off youtube videos
>>
Man, cut him some slack.

All that shit his subs want to see cost money, so do his employees, so does the hardware he needs to provide the content.
It´s not like he´s shilling for the sake of shilling but because he knows that he has to advertise some shit to keep the show going.

He made this his full time job and that needs money which has to come from somewhere.

I´m not trying to defend anyone here, but I´m starting to get seriously pissed about the lack of critical thinking a lot of people on 4chan are showing.
>>
File: 1448034294714.gif (534 KB, 250x144) Image search: [Google]
1448034294714.gif
534 KB, 250x144
>>51778780
the signal path, eevblog, electronupdate

oh wait, you just mean consumershit. my bad
>>
He seems pretty unbiased to me (save nvidia/Intel shilling). He really tears into some products that companies send him with no remorse lol.
>>
File: 1393300772861.gif (12 KB, 501x504) Image search: [Google]
1393300772861.gif
12 KB, 501x504
>>51779261

yess..... yesssssss cut the man some slack, good goy
>>
>>51778780
you know Linus is literally like 5'3, he actually stands on a box for most of his main videos. He is a manlet of the nth degree
>>
>>51779625
Lol no he's not fag
>>
>>51779450

Absolutely epic meme

>>51779625

And yet he's running his own successful, and growing, business. What have you accomplished in life my anonymous friend?
>>
>>51779261
he doesnt need employees he just hired them and bought an office (oh and asked "fans" for money to help buy it) just so he feels good being the big boss. the quality of videos doesnt reflect numerous so called experts working together its all pretty amateur.
>>
>>51779645
its not a business its a bunch of nerds playing around with money they get given for making shit videos
growing.. no
>>
>>51778889
"Thanking nvidia for sending us" cut it off there.
>>
>>51779645
manlet detected
>>
technigger edits all of his videos alone but linus needs 5 asians. why?
>>
what does an ad commercial look like
>>
>>51778889
>>51778912
I can smell the jealousy from all over here.
That, and the cumstained shirt you've been using for the past three weeks.
>>
>>51778912
Bank didn't want to give him a loan because "im a yootoob star."

They started taking him seriously when he showed back up with a load of money saying he made videos for YouTube.

Also, they were probably kicked out of their old place for what was presumed to be neighbor issues with having a bunch of people using a residential area as a business.

The servers are just hardware tech spoiling and convenience. Hardware tech reviewers get massive amounts of free shit.
>>
>>51779708
Whether you like it or not, his shitty fanbase is making him money to do that. Look at any comments on his videos. They're all braindead retarded.

I don't mind his stuff though, just hate his fanbase.
>>
>>51779080
people didn't use adblock
>>
>>51780467
He pumps out 6 videos/week on the main channel, ~3 videos/week on a second channel and then I don't watch superfun but there's videos to make there as well.

With only 4 editors that's a lot of shit to do.
>>
do you ever feel like tech consumerism is an endless pit of price tags, spec sheets, incremental improvements that make you hate what you once loved, buzzwords, and rare earth metals that are being sucked out of the ground and thrown in goodwill dumpsters?

watching things like linus or cnet makes me feel like i am stuck in a death spiral
>>
>>51779708
Not all the hardware in his videos are given to him. He buys a good chunk of the hardware he reviews, because he gets tired of the manufacturer telling him they'll send the hardware, and never do. Or because instead of getting it just to review, he may want to have it for personal use.

Also:
>not a business, just a bunch of nerds playing around with money
As if that isn't what business has been for a long time.
>Manufacturer's pay him and his company to review their products because of the size of his fanbase
>implying your opinion of the quality of the videos matters when he has millions of subscribers, which he gets paid for

Huh, sounds like business to me.
>>
>>51781117
They don't realize this because they don't actually watch his videos. They don't even check his channel.
>>
>>51781029
Very little of their revenue comes from ads.
>>
>>51781172
I always feel like these people should be doing other things with their time
like what else do you need other than graphics card and other minor reviews? Everything else is like reading the news for the sake of reading the news
>>
>>51778889
Funny thing is they have a render server. They aren't even rendering on their workstations.
>>
File: aM7cMYe.jpg (364 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
aM7cMYe.jpg
364 KB, 1920x1080
PCPerspective
OC3D
HardwareCanucks

JayzTwoCents is generally well-informed and knows his shit most of the time, but he's the most angsty borderline autism channel there is. Seriously mad-at-mom levels of angst. Also is fully grey with a family of 4 and still rents a house.

Full-on Autism would be Barnacules, which is why his son has autism. But he's still a good person.
>>
I like tek syndicate
>>
>>51781351
how did you get that text green? pretty awesome.
no a business isnt a bunch of nerds sat around, now tell me it is and base your whole point on disagreeing and nothing else?

of course my opinion wouldnt matter of an image board discussion where we are all expressing our opinions.. what the fucks wrong with you?
>>
>>51781660
>wow chiptunes sounds the same mp3 vs wav??????
>>
i unironically watch all of linus and ncix shit.

i just don't watch the ads at the end.
>>
>>51782161
The entire video is an ad. The blatant shilling section at the end is designed to distract you from the fact that you just watched a longer one without even knowing it.

>Haha, I'm beating the system by switching it off! :)

No, you're being a good little goy and doing what's expected of you.
>>
>>51782287

so the entire scrapyard wars videos were ads.

ok jew.
>>
tek syndicate
tek hardware
tek linux
tek *

barnacules and jayztwocents

pretty much best channels out there
>>
>>51781395
Well, actually most of his revenue do come from ads, the difference is that it's not YouTube ads, but the ads he get paid to put on every fucking video and stream.
>>
>>51784002
why are you so butt blasted about ads? they are literally the reason high quality content is available without paying for it, and I might even be interested in the product after seeing the ad.
>>
I actually liked Linus before he got 40 thousand employees and had to shill every second of every video, just to earn the revenue for the workers.

Genuinely thought it was more entertaining and even informative when it was him, Luke, Ed and Brandon.
>>
>>51782287
the entire /g/ is a "blatant shilling section"
yet here we are
>>
>>51784025
>high quality content
I assume you're not talking about Linus though right?
>>
>>51784457
>4K videos
>Very well shot and very informative

>Not High Quality

Fuck off
>>
>>51784537
Na i'm gonna block em haha faggot
>>
>>51784068
I used to think this until I actually thought about his early videos. They were even worse.No reviewing. No opinions whatsoever. Just unboxing at 400 words per minute while trying to convince us he's attracted to his "wife" while chirping like a queen with dual earrings.
>>
>there are multiple adds in the videos now so you could potentially get an ad in an ad in a shill video that's basically an ad

Xzibit.jpg
>>
File: jelly.jpg (16 KB, 283x220) Image search: [Google]
jelly.jpg
16 KB, 283x220
>ITT
>>
>>51778780
Tek Syndicate is a pretty great channel. They actually give a shit about their community as well and don't just use them as money whores
>>
>At this point

It's like everyone totally forgot what he did before he pulled the solo gig.

Fucking kikes and jews, /g/, all of you.
>>
>>51779000
/thread
>>
>>51784025
not about linus, about online content in general, tek syndicate, roosterteeth, etc.

some people might like linus tho, I think he is entertaining every once in a while
>>
>>51784537
High definition doesn't mean high quality anon. I'm sorry you haven't realised that yet.
>>
>>51780624
Commercial for ads,

NOW IM THE STORE, THE NEWEST ISIS AD
>>
>>51778780

>Watching Tech Tubers

What are you, 12?
>>
OC3D is the only channel that doesn't suck so bad. Shame they only really make review videos if ts corsair shit or asus.
>>
>>51784867
>>51784537
I'd argue Hardwarecanucks do the best cinematography.

That said, no reviewer that gets free shit can be totally unbiased.

What you need is a some rich fuck who buys all the shit he wants and then reviews it honestly. MKBHD used to do that. It became a lot more clearly market-focused over the last year.
>>
>>51783919
>barnacules and jayztwocents
underage minecraft gamer detected
>>
>>51785693
I mainly just watch the tech talk weekly "podcast" thing, I also watch the tek from tek syndicate and wan show from LTT, fun to listen to, and they even sometimes cover news

probably my favorite tech channel is tek enterprise or tek linux, I really love enterprise equipment, managed 48 port switches, rack and blade servers n shit
>>
>>51778780
Who is this colossal looking faggot and why is he trying to look like Steve Jobs?
>>
>>51779625
he's actually like 5'6, legitimately. It's just that Luke is 6'3 or something and looks huge all of the time.
>>
I remember the good days before he was married, a little more nerdier and before luke (aka slick) arrived, he would find a room in ncix and just unbox stuff with a review of its features, That was the real linus, but all good things must come to an end, especially when they become popular.

But I give the guy credit he has come a long way and i must thank him because i did learn a lot off him!
He was main reason why i attempted to build my first pc and it was a success first time, all of this was purely from watching his unboxing videos.
>>
>>51785938
But nothing will ever come close to learning from my dad, copying games, music. Sitting under the stairs with him learning about amd athlon x2's using an anti static wrist strap connected to radiater it was just a copper wire, this was before youtube was popular. When you could only learn by buying pc magazines. Thanks dad
>>
MKBHD and Hardware Cannucks are the only consumer tech channels I watch. Their production is good without slapping ads everywhere. They got all I need for reviews, good close ups of products and they let me decide if its a good product by stating facts and experiences.
>>
>>51784025
out of all the fucking ads, linus' ads are pretty decently presented. It's obvious when he's presenting an ad, it's not obnoxious like the youtube pre-video ads are by being loud, completely unrelated to the content you're watching, etc.

I'd never support him financially because he does take ad revenue though, patreon-esque monthly donations is exclusively for ad-free youtubers to me.
>>
>>51781759
>how did you get that text green? pretty awesome.
lordy lord
>>
>>51782076
?
>>
I know they're popular and probably hated, but Tek Syndicate (especially the hardware channel) is pretty unbiased honestly
>>
>>51786813
I really like all the tek channels, specially tek linux and tek enterprise
>>
>>51786724
literally fucking retard, go back to reddit and consider suicide
>>
>>51785746
Linus Tech Tips

He's parodying Jobs
>>
>>51786813
Logan hates /g/ though, cos we all call his bullshit

Wendell is of course based as fuck, definitely the best "youtuber" if he could be considered that for what he does with Tek Syndicate
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utEGYPJyAZc

it`s just so comfy.
>>
Tech YES City is pretty good

Also OC3D TV (Tiny Tom Logan) is decent as well

Idk if it's just that I'm British, but all the American youtubers do my head in, they just all sound very stupid and unconvincing
>>
>>51778780
The problem is, tech reviews are expensive. They rely on receiving free samples and eventually this devolves into shilling.

My proposal: A donation based review system. People donate at least a base amount and in doing so get to vote on the next item to review. Realtime bars show the progress towards the goal for each item (which would be the complete purchase cost plus some extra to account for equipment and personnel costs).

I would be willing to set up the infrastructure for that at no cost, but would need trusted people to actually do the reviews and a viewerbase willing to pay.
>>
Most of the shit on his show(s) are backed up by numbers that can be found in other independent tests if needed. I've found him mostly trustworthy. All the dumb shit he does I guess he needs to do for all the dumbass normies who fund his YT programs. Call it a necessary evil.

I think he might lurk /g/ a little but he's definitely more of a plebbit user. His memes are stale. It might do him good to bring up a few /g/ memes, but at the same time it's definitely what I don't want him to do.
>>
Check out Louis Rossman
>>
>>51786866
why so butthurt? Did Linus deny to fuck you in the ass?
>>
I've liked his channel for a long time, but within the last year its become tongue in cheek jokes and memes. I want information, not entertainment.
>>
>>51787231
>it might do him good to bring up a few /g/ memes
No. If you use any 4chan meme outside of4chan, you end up looking like an edgy faggot. Because you basically are being one.
>>
>>51778780
An Ad Commercial? A commercial for commercials? Fucking Moron
>>
>>51787231
Luke probably shiposts on /g/ but Logan and his crew actually talk about the latest /g/ memes. I remember watching a video where they had Paul from NewEgg tv and they told him that if he supports AMD they will call him a shill and told him to install Gentoo to get their approval. Then Wendell interjected for a second and said that /g/'s official meme distro is now Arch.
>>
Check out Julian Illet, he mostly does electronics stuff but is one of the best youtubers out there imo
>>
File: file.jpg (1 MB, 954x2000) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
1 MB, 954x2000
>>
>>51781637
>Barnacules
You know what? I kinda like his videos.
I really wish he kept making his programming tutorials, I mean you're still talking about a guy who worked 15 years at Microsoft.
>>
>>51789901
Are they aware people are writing Gay stories about them?
>>
>>51789999
Yes
>>
>>51789937
I actually met the guy and IRL he is cool as fuck and knows his stuff. I asked him why he acts hyper on his videos and he told me it was because it attracts more views. He acts like a retard on screen because it simply is more profitable to do so. There was a study recently done about that as well.
>>
>>51790248
>There was a study recently done about that as well.
That's fairly interesting. Link to the source of the study? I hope the depression thing isn't a charade too.
>>
>>51787231
My problem with Linus besides, the understandably necessary shilling, is his obvious bias for Nvidia and Noctua.I can't even bother watching any of his CPU cooler videos because he throws a pair of Noctuas on every cooler whether it helps them or not.
>>
>>51790299
I can't find the exact study itself but I found an article that explores the linguistic and mannerism that youtubers use in order to attract an audience.

www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2015/12/the-linguistics-of-youtube-voice/

Most of this techniques have been used in sales and entertainment but youtube makes it easier to identify said techniques because of the sheer volume it has.
>>
>>51778780
Willing to start shilling professionally,
sitting 15h/day behind the box, any offers?
>>
so how does him being more successful than me have to do anything with him shilling?
>>
>>51778780
I should immigrate to Canada desu.
>>
>>51784025
I'm not butt blasted about ads f am, I just pointed out that they still make money from ads, but it's not the usual YouTube/Google ads.

I don't really mind Linus, I enjoy his content and as long as you recognize that his opinion *may* be a bit colored because of that sponsor money, I like when he review products, even though it looks like that is becoming less important, and they're focusing on being the Top Gear of tech, which is a bit of a shame.
>>
hardwarecanucks, undisputed best tech channel, over use of same camera angles for B-roll shots, but has awesome smooth voice-overs with solid unbiased reviews.

teksyndicate, full linux autism and privacy advocate, their hardware channel is infinitely better, especially all of Wendell's videos.

jayztwocents, shitty jokes, unbiased, very knowledgeable in watercooling.

awesomesaucenetwork, annoying as fuck, dislike humor, but unbiased, and probably has some of the best cable management in his builds out of most of the tech youtubers.

paul's hardware, solid reviews, but pretty boring videos.

mkbhd, best cellphone review site hands down, amazing cellphone reviews that highlight all the important aspects of smartphone use, all while having amazing high quality video shots.

android authority, if you want more of the nitty gritty for android phones, this pretty good channel, but pretty boring.

barnacules, vlogs are shitty as fuck, stupid jokes, stupid speed up chipmunk speech, good 3d printing videos, and amazing programming tutorial (at least the ones he's released). Has some cool insight from his time working at Microsoft.
>>
>>51779261
Hi Linus shouldn't you be shilling razors?

This post was made possible by Squarespace
>>
>>51790645
>mfw his shilling about razors helped me found the supplier of Dollar Shave Club, Dorco.
Linus inadvertently helped me save more money than I would have with DSC
Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.