[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to buy a single board computer which uses Android as an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: image.php.jpg (147 KB, 650x427) Image search: [Google]
image.php.jpg
147 KB, 650x427
I want to buy a single board computer which uses Android as an OS so I can use apps like PPSSPP.

Basically I want to use it for emulating games.

Any recommendation on what SBC would be good, or what specs would be needed?
>>
Buy an android phone
>>
>android
>for emulating

what?
>>
Fgt
>>
>>51778449
>raspberry pi main use case: video games emulator
>>
Just use native emulators for like raspberry pi or something
>>
>>51778449
/g/ approbed tutorial to create and setup an emulation machine based on android
ingredients:
>cheap android phone with hdmi out
>hdmi cable
>velcro
>the phone's charger
>a bluetooth controller
>an hdmi monitor
instructions:
>put velcro on phone
>put velcro on monitor
>attach phone to monitor through velcro
>connect hdmi cable to phone
>connect hdmi cable to monitor
>connect phone to a powersource with the charger
>turn on phone
>turn on minitor
>pair the bluetooth controller to phone
>sharpie in pooper
>???
>profit
>>
Just get a raspberry pi2 then. Or, you know, do your own research. There are dozens of SBCs out there, and any released in the past two years are going to be fine for most emulation.
>>
Some ODroid variant should do
>>
>>51778449
Odroid, and PCDuino are nice. Not as big of communities as Raspberry Pi though, so you may be on your own figuring shit out. As computers both are more on par with other Android devices, than Raspberry Pi.

The good thing about PCDuino is that it is generally compatible with any add-ons or shields made for Rapsberry Pi or Arduino. It can also be booted from it's SATA port, so you have better storage options than SD cards and eMMC--SSDs are run on 5v just like the board itself. You do need a SATA to 2pin power adapter, but that shouldn't cost you more than $5.
>>
>>51778474
Is it also not damn viable for HTPCs?
>>
>>51778449
Why the fuck are you using Android for emulation instead of a proper Linux distro?
I've heard Android is horrible for emulation because of it's graphics pipeline stuttering all the time.
>>
>>51778474
Good luck emulating psp games on a memeberry.
>>
>>51779771
Do your research and get something better than a pi. It craps out and has sketchy support for everything newer than the psx and studders on the gba without overclocking.
>>
>>51779808
YES GOY!
GET A JETSON X-1!
PLAY GAMECUBE GAME TOO!

shilling aside

if you spend 200 bucks you will get an extremly decent tegra shield
>>
how about buying a PSP with a TV Out Cable. Here are your options in that category:
PSP2000 - Component out
PSP3000 - Component or Composite/SVideo Out
PSPGo - all of those, with a sexy dock and PS3 controller wirelessly (trust me, its only useful when hacked).
you can score these for dirt cheap on local craigslist or local classified, dont pay more than $40 for a base unit, and it can emulate most anything that a Raspi2 can emulate.
>>
File: orangepipc_info.jpg (794 KB, 1150x1550) Image search: [Google]
orangepipc_info.jpg
794 KB, 1150x1550
If you're right on money orange pi pc is better than a rpi.
If you can spend more get an odroid.
>>
If you got money to blow get the Dragonboard 410c, octa core 64-bit ARM processor, fast af
>>
>>51784363
the opi is a terrible emulation platform unless you stick to the android images only. The Mali GPU makes Linux compatibility something of a nightmare. I would definitely recommend a Pi2 for most uses. I own both. The Orange Pi is wonderful for a lot of things, I use it as an out of band console box for my servers, but I wouldn't use it as a retro emulation box.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.