[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So my school hooked me up with a Dreamspark account with lots
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10
So my school hooked me up with a Dreamspark account with lots of free Microsoft software. I'm looking to do a clean wipe, fresh OS install and I'm stuck between two options. Windows 10 Education vs. Windows 7 Professional. Which one do I go with?
>>
Go with Windows 10 if you aren't already running 7. There isn't really any reason to still use 7 besides just 'being used to it'
>>
gimme summa dat shit fgt
>>
>>51778098
It's a trap, OP! Windows 10 Education is just Enterprise controlled by your college. Get 8 Pro, and segue to Windows 10 Pro through it
>>
>>51778098

win7. less botnet (patchable), quite usable, widely supported.
>>
>>51778098
Education is literally worse than home. Get it if you want the most botnet of them all
>>
>>
>>51778271
>>51778277
>Le botnet meme xD
That word. You keep using it, but I don't think it means what you think it means.
>>
>>51778246
?
>>
>>51778391
He want some of your free content
>>
>>51778098
Install Windows 7 Pro and let it update itself to Windows 10 Pro.
>>
>>51778098
7 Pro. It gets a free upgrade 10 Pro if you want that botnet.
>>
>>51778302
>Inigo Montoya meme
Get out
>>
Lol...you know when your semester ends or when you graduate or when they feel like you have too much activity, your school revokes your account permissions and your software will be like "WHERE'S YOUR ACTIVATION KEY???" right?
>>
>>51779151
No it won't. Sure, you'll lose access to your account, but you won't lose your product keys.

I've got systems that have keys from a dreamspark account that's been inactive for over a year and a half that are all fine.
>>
File: 1278592426696.jpg (11 KB, 155x155) Image search: [Google]
1278592426696.jpg
11 KB, 155x155
>>51778098
>using Windows

I have a Dreamspark account from my school, as well, but I refuse to put up with the fucking bullshit that is using Windows. Don't do it, OP.

I have a hackintosh for my desktop, so I can use software like Adobeshit and the like, and just run Arch on my laptop. I can assure you that it's infinitely better than a Windows environment, and once you go *nix, you can't go back.
>>
>>51780068
Not OP, but I actually believe the opposite.

I keep trying to move over to Linux, I've even got a dedicated drive for it that I swap in and out of my laptop.

I always find myself going back to Windows simply out of convenience.

I don't have to worry about much while running Windows, and the preformance boosts I get from running any of the various Linux distros out there simply do not outwiegh the benefits of the simplicity of Windows.
>>
>>51778264
>>51778568
>>51778790
I might have missed a memo or two, but why is everyone recommending 10 Pro?
>>
File: 1345341187909.png (31 KB, 178x184) Image search: [Google]
1345341187909.png
31 KB, 178x184
>>51780374
>I always find myself going back to Windows simply out of convenience.
Windows is inconvenient as fuck; the only reason you find it to be so is because you don't know how to use GNU/Linux or OSX.

Features like native package management, built in scripting languages, native *nix utilities like ssh, easy compiling of random add-in software, superior process management for stuff like killing processes, better virtualisation management (on Linux, not OSX), better filesystem support (on Linux, not OSX), better software management through stuff like $PATH, sane filestructure, access to better UI software like spotlight and kupfer, better hardware support of nonstandard hardware, and etc are just some of the innumerable benefits of GNU/Linux and OSX over Windows.

You have to either not know what you're doing, or just be a literal madman to prefer Windows to a *nix environment of some kind.
>>
>>51780533
>Bait
>>
>>51778302
>Ridicule someone for using a meme
>Use a meme to do so
>>
>>51780533
I will say that I'm not as adept with Linux as I am with Windows. If that's even the right word to use.

Those features aren't important in every day use to me though. Stability and ease of use are what I need, and Windows provides that when you're not using terrible software.
>>
>>51780608
>Those features aren't important in every day use to me though.
Again, that's because you don't know what you're doing. Windows and *nix have vastly different workflows, and the *nix workflow gives rise to conveniences that you can't understand if you don't use it. Really, you can't go back to Windows after using an OS that isn't a joke for a decent amount of time.

>Stability and ease of use are what I need, and Windows provides that when you're not using terrible software.
Then why not just use OSX? It's still infinitely better than Windows.
>>
File: 1445294426912.jpg (28 KB, 316x317) Image search: [Google]
1445294426912.jpg
28 KB, 316x317
>>51780533
Convenient for gaming tho.
>>
>>51778098
the fuck is Education? just go with wins 7
>>
>>51780417
>not using LTSB
>>
>>51780825
>muh gayms
>>>/v/
>>
>>51778098
education is a variation of 10.

what I did was get 8.1 pro then upgrade to 10 pro.
>>
>>51780902
It's similar to the enterprise one, which is 'ultimate', sort of.
Has there ever been a real difference between any windows editions?
>>
>>51778098
>not installing 7 so that you can upgrade to 10 for a free license and then reinstalling 7 for minimal botnet
It"s like you're not even using your brain
Unless of course you know what to disable in w10 edu for muh minimal botnet
>>
>>51778098
>> free MSFT software

Enjoy Lé botnet
>>
>>51780533
>Windows is inconvenient as fuck; the only reason you find it to be so is because you don't know how to use GNU/Linux or OSX.
>
>Features like native package management, built in scripting languages, native *nix utilities like ssh, easy compiling of random add-in software, superior process management for stuff like killing processes, better virtualisation management (on Linux, not OSX), better filesystem support (on Linux, not OSX), better software management through stuff like $PATH, sane filestructure, access to better UI software like spotlight and kupfer, better hardware support of nonstandard hardware, and etc are just some of the innumerable benefits of GNU/Linux and OSX over Windows.
>
>You have to either not know what you're doing, or just be a literal madman to prefer Windows to a *nix environment of some kind.

lementine: symbol lookup error: clementine: undefined symbol: _ZN6google8protobuf8internal13empty_string_E

Using Antergos today.
>>
File: 1357950113044.jpg (51 KB, 450x562) Image search: [Google]
1357950113044.jpg
51 KB, 450x562
>>51781590
>Antergos
>literally Archlinux for people too stupid to properaly use Archlinux
The only reason Arch exists is for lazy as fuck people who already know how a linux system works and want a streamlined system put together from scratch than deal with all the nonsense that comes with a premade linux distro.

By using Antergos, you get the shitty instability that comes with a distro that is designed purely for lazy people, minus the benefits of putting everything yourself together. You are literally the definition of a special snowflake, choosing that you want a buggy system that is indended for lazy people, without actually being one of the target audience of lazy people who already know linux.

If you have to use Antergos, then you shouldn't be using Archlinux. You should stick to the popular premade distros like *debians and such, as they will be much more functional for your purposes and infinitely less buggy.
>>
>>51781725
>If you have to use Antergos, then you shouldn't be using Archlinux. You should stick to the popular premade distros like *debians and such, as they will be much more functional for your purposes and infinitely less buggy.

I find Arch Linux annoying to install so that's why I use Antergos.

Oh and this is a library problem and guess what, I'm not a fucking coder yet!
>>
>>51781740
>I find Arch Linux annoying to install so that's why I use Antergos.
Again, if you find Archlinux to be annoying, then you shouldn't be using it or its derivatives, you double faggot. Arch is designed in a way that it leaves all the choices regarding what you want your system to do up to you as a user, whether you want to make those choices or not. If you already have a strong foundation in linux systems, then that's the lazy person thing to do, but otherwise it's just unnecessarily tedious. There's literally nothing wrong with using a different linux distro.

Contrary to popular belief, using Arch and intentionally making your computer harder for you to use doesn't make you some 1337 hacker; it just makes you an autist.

>Oh and this is a library problem and guess what, I'm not a fucking coder yet!
Arch doesn't handle library dependencies nearly as thoroughly as other distros, as it assumes you will deal with them yourself in many cases.

Again, the entire philosophy of the distro is that you as a user already know what you're doing and don't want the system to interfere with your configuration in any way. If you don't like that, then Arch isn't for you. It's really that simple. I don't know how many times I need to repeat that.

If you want a *nix that just works, why not just use OSX, for fuck's sake?
>>
>>51781832
>Contrary to popular belief, using Arch and intentionally making your computer harder for you to use doesn't make you some 1337 hacker; it just makes you an autist.

I like to use the AUR. I can install almost anything easily and not worry about some app being incompatible with Ubuntu 14.04 because it was make for Ubuntu 13.10.
>>
>>51781832
>If you want a *nix that just works, why not just use OSX, for fuck's sake?
Why don't yo let me learn from the experience, I don't want to quit.
>>
>>51779151
Too bad I've had dreamspark through 2 semesters already, and starting a third in January, and I'm still covered until Summer. I've been using the same Win10 product key on nearly every VM I've installed (be it on my ext HDD or on the EXSi server at the campus), plus some on family members' computers, since they wouldn't shut up about it.
You know what you're talking about good.
>>
>>51781066
Mainly application compatibility or being able to use Windows Media Center, Windows XP Mode, or Remote Desktop, for example.
>>
>>51781881
>I like to use the AUR.
If you want to use AUR, then you should understand how to handle your dependency conflicts and library issues manually. The whole point of AUR is that it provides an automated means to grab software for people too lazy to go look up the requirements of a software by hand, with the caveat that if something breaks, you're gonna have to know how to fix the fucked up install by hand.

>I can install almost anything easily and not worry about some app being incompatible with Ubuntu 14.04 because it was make for Ubuntu 13.10.
Lots of the software in AUR is actually packaged for Ubuntu, and then hacked up in a way for it to mostly work on Arch. Again, it's a hacky mess, and by participating it, you're signing up for a system that's really broken for the sake of convenience and being too lazy to manage your system the right way.

>>51781888
>Why don't yo let me learn from the experience, I don't want to quit.
Because you're whining like a little bitch about how inconvenient Arch is compared to Linux, when you obviously are not part of the target demographic. You're complaining that a distro designed around lazy power users requires you to be a power user in order to be halfway functional.

Considering that you're a tripfag for no apparent reason, I'm pretty sure that you're just one of those attention-whoring fags that wants to be speshul for using the "cool distro for 1337 hackers", yet you're complaining since, as it turns out, that's not what Arch is meant for.

Ultimately, all you are doing is making Linux and Linux users look bad to all the people who have no idea what *nix is all about.
>>
>>51781996
How inconvenient Arch is compared to Windows*
>>
>>51781574
1. you don't know what a botnet is
2. why should i care if microsoft gets data about my search terms or whatever?
>>
>>51781996
>Ultimately, all you are doing is making Linux and Linux users look bad to all the people who have no idea what *nix is all about.

Okay, whatever. I'm my own person and I'm not making anyone look bad.
>>
File: 1308362930283.jpg (14 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1308362930283.jpg
14 KB, 300x300
>>51782079
>comments about Antergos giving you errors as a response to my statement that Windows is an inconvenient piece of shit
>not trying to make people look bad
is this some kind of metabait where you portray a strawman that espouses all of the characteristics that winfags always use to stereotype *nix users, such as being an edgy incoherent attention craving tripfag?
>>
>>51782145
>>51782145
You're reading to far into this. I was implying that Windows doesn't suffer as often as Linux due to library errors.

For example, I can't open clementine-qt4,ncmpcp, or fucking vmware-workstation.
>>
>>51782179
Then learn how to INSTALL vmware workstation, you pleb
>>
File: 1358377991573.png (757 KB, 764x571) Image search: [Google]
1358377991573.png
757 KB, 764x571
>>51782179
>vmware-workstation
>on archlinux
AHAHAHAHAHAHA THIS NIGGA CAN'T BE SERIOUS

WELL MEME'D, MY FRIEND

please kill yourself
>>
>>51782196
>Then learn how to INSTALL vmware workstation, you pleb

It is installed you fucking idiot, as of yesterday's update, several applications can not launch.
>>
>>51782201
>vmware-workstation
>on archlinux
It's stable and I get better performance than Ubuntu
>>
>>51782179
>Windows doesn't suffer as often as Linux due to library errors
Again, this is only because you are using Arch while retarded. This wouldn't happen if either (a) you weren't using arch or (b) you weren't a retard. i want tripfag newshits to leave.
>>
>>51782235
>This wouldn't happen if either (a) you weren't using arch
"But Linux is perfect" ~This thread's Linux Shill
>>
>>51782217
>as of yesterday's update, several applications can not launch.
why the fuck are you using archlinux if you are getting mad about this, you fucking mong?

>>51782230
>It's stable and I get better performance than Ubuntu
are you a literal fucking retard? oh right, we already established that you are. there's no fucking reason on the planet to use any virtualisation software other than qemu-kvm on archlinux. it's more stable, has better performance, and is more feature-complete than any other vm software. the only requirement to use it is that you're not allowed to use it if you are stupid.
>>
>>51782258

Shit b8 confirmed

>"But Linux is perfect" ~This thread's Linux Shill

That's not what >>51781996 said. Nice exaggeration, faggot.
>>
>>51782258
No, it's just that the problems that YOU specifically are having would not happen if you weren't so dead set on using a distro that isn't meant for you.
>>
Education is actually the best version of Windows 10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_editions
>>
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you fucking retard!!!
>>
Y'ALL ARE TOO EASY.

I've used Arch, Manjaro, Ubuntu, Debian(Pure), Mint, Backtrack/Kali Linux.

I'm well versed with this an have gotten my music playing again with clementine-qt5 for the AUR.

Don't take life so serious.
>>
>>51782318

>le ebin troll
>hay guise i wuh juz trolln u em nut dum
>>
>>51782334
So caught up.
>>
File: 1362065618351.jpg (535 KB, 641x4513) Image search: [Google]
1362065618351.jpg
535 KB, 641x4513
ITT: Arch autists can't even stay out of Windows threads now.
>>
>>51782318
>i was just pretending to be retarded
ok kid
>>
File: header_img02suma.jpg (98 KB, 720x261) Image search: [Google]
header_img02suma.jpg
98 KB, 720x261
>>51782348
>ok kid
It's okay rustledjimmies-kun~
>>
>>51782346
Indeed. I want this newshit to leave. Literally the only reason why Arch users are seen as autists is because of faggots like him who spout dumb shit without any clue what they're talking about.
>>
>>51778246
ayy me 2 u fgt
>>
>>51781725
Antergos is Pretty?
Wtf are you talki g about you pleb
>>
File: 1275524266413.jpg (2 KB, 126x126) Image search: [Google]
1275524266413.jpg
2 KB, 126x126
>>51782431
anon are you high
>>
>>51782460
>anon are you high
lol
>>
The only correct version of Win10 is enterprise with your own WSUS server. Anything else is just asking to be fucked by Microsoft.

Pro does not give you control over your updates, it just lets you delay for up to 8 months.

No clue what the fuck enterprise does, but it sounds like it's had features removed.
>>
>>51782505
>No clue what the fuck education does, but it sounds like it's had features removed*
>>
>>51778098
Windows 10 Education is just Enterprise with a watermark that you can remove. It's not 'controlled by your university', lets you set group policy settings for telemetry and update settings that Windows 10 Home and Pro can't access.
>>
>>51780658
>OSX
>better than anything
Fuck outta here.
>>
>>51784144

Where this whole "Edu is worse than Pro" or "Edu means being controlled by uni" came from?

Just being curious, since deal with 10 spying have traffic analysis and other sources to serve as basis for those arguments, but never heard of anything to support "Edu/Enterprise is bad" ones.
>>
>>51778098
W7. Botnet 10 is buggy as linkeks
>>
>>51778098
Windows 10 LGBT version
>>
>>51778271
>supported
Not in 6 months when everyone dumps it.
>>
>>51780988
>>51780417
Cuz it just werks nigger.
>>
can we stop with this arch is hard meme
I've been using antergos as my linux distro for about a year and a half and I never ran into any problems, I update my stuff every couple of week or so when I remember to and I get anything I want from the AUR really quickly

It's retarded to have to take more than 5 minutes to install a system in 2015

and as for windows, it's clearly superior for desktop/multimedia use compared to linux unless you have a really really bad machine.
>>
>>51778098
10 pro N
>>
>>51778234
Other than the fact that windows 10 is a botnet.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.