[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why doesn't Japan design and make their own CPU? Why isn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9
File: 1446135022244.jpg (44 KB, 500x435) Image search: [Google]
1446135022244.jpg
44 KB, 500x435
Why doesn't Japan design and make their own CPU?

Why isn't the desktop popular in Japan?

Why don't Japanese software developers speak English, which is required for any technological field?

Is Japan's primitive tribal island culture slowly forcing them back into obscurity?
What happens if white people won't help them get with the modern times anymore?
>>
>>51776697
They do.

They'll go back to using Taiwanese VIA processors
>>
File: dr bebber.png (1 MB, 773x3726) Image search: [Google]
dr bebber.png
1 MB, 773x3726
>>
>>51776697
>Why doesn't Japan design and make their own CPU?
But they do, the SH series are still going strong, though they are barely used in anything for consumers
>Why isn't the desktop popular in Japan?
>Why don't Japanese software developers speak English, which is required for any technological field?
Because moonrunes
>Is Japan's primitive tribal island culture slowly forcing them back into obscurity?
Yes
>What happens if white people won't help them get with the modern times anymore?
Nothing, they will dissapear anyways
>>
>>51777042
>But they do, the SH series are still going strong, though they are barely used in anything for consumers
mate that wasn't designed by nip
get your facts straight, fool

>Because moonrunes
epic meme and excuse for their heavy failures
>>
>>51776697

Patents.
>>
The high intelligence and self discipline of the average japanese means "advanced" consumer tech (entertaining shinies and endless ricing) is a tad uninteresting, and supposedly insecure operating systems are perfectly safe due to good practice in daily use.

Only in america will you find people ranting about the importance of "user experience" in a twitter client.

The struggle of japanese intelligence = problem solving in conflict with apparent hopelessness brought on by tradition
The struggle of western "intelligence" = autistic nitpicking in conflict with whatever social standards have been made current by the media
>>
>>51776697
>Why don't Japanese software developers speak English, which is required for any technological field?
Because they work in JAPAN. The only English you need to know is function names and shit and that's not like learning the spoken language.
>>
Fujitsu
Nec
Toshiba
Sony
Hitachi
>>
>>51776697
Why would you do that if there were existing CPUs that worked just fine? Building a good CPU from scratch costs a lot of money and effort. American companies can reap money from consumerists so they ended up leading the way, and japan gave up in the name of pragmatism.

>Why isn't the desktop popular in Japan?
Because it's genuinely useless for most people. Japan was doing smartphones before steb jerbs made a locked down PDA that could also make phone calls. They're really only worthwhile for people that need to do a lot of local computing with live A/V feedback, like 3d gamers and video/music/photo producers. Everything else is better done with a notebook and a server.

All UNIX manuals have already been translated into japanese, including that of emacs, as have all relevant language books (ie: sicp, k&r), and documentation for the modern NeXT SDK (courtesy of apple computer). There is no need to learn english in software development if you wish to make quality software for quality systems. Why do you need english? To read the docs for some shitty novelty "start-up" type thing like node? For some "yet another X for linux!" open source crapware?

>Is Japan's primitive tribal island culture slowly forcing them back into obscurity?
Probably not. Their superior tribal island culture is causing them to accept obscurity when it is convenient.
>What happens if white people won't help them get with the modern times anymore?
Then whatever needs to be done will be done. But, get real - whites haven't done a whole lot. It's been jews all the way down.
>>
Having lived in japan for over two years, I found a certain sense of practicality in their approach to tech. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" is very apparent - if a device or piece of software does its job somewhat decently, there's zero desire to replace it unless there are seriously drastic benefits to be had by doing so. It's why you see many people and companies there still using Windows XP.
>>
File: Chad_daddy.jpg (11 KB, 211x212) Image search: [Google]
Chad_daddy.jpg
11 KB, 211x212
>>51778396
>They're really only worthwhile for people that need to do a lot of local computing with live A/V feedback, like 3d gamers and video/music/photo producers.

>Japan
>PC gaming

Did you know that: The Japanese cannot buy Japanese games on Steam?
>>
>>51778434
>Did you know that: The Japanese cannot buy Japanese games on Steam?
Probably because they don't publish on Steam. Not that that matters, I have seen enough Japanese playing Western Steam games an non-Steam games.
>>
>>51778301

*tips katana*
>>
>>51778466
Right. So I guess Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2, MGS5, MGR, Valkyria Chronicles, and maybe a handful of other Japanese console games aren't published on Steam. But you CAN buy them, however, on PlayStation consoles.

Didn't Nintendo do the same shit three decades ago?
>>
>>51778503
I was talking about PC though, because that was what he was talking about.
>>
>>51776697
I was always curious about this. How could the japanese be so cutting edge in the 2D console era and even on the jump to 3D when they don't even know what the function names mean?

But >>51778396 explained it quite well.
>>
>>51778434
PS3 make tha best games
>>
>>51778434
BAAAWWLLIIIIIIIIINN
>>
Someone post the pic of 2chan saying why they don't update their computers
>>
>>51776697
>Why don't Japanese software developers speak English
why don't YOU speak Japanese?
>>
>>51776697
Japan has had several cpu designs, the sh series being the most widely used

Cell phones beat desktops in japan in the early 2000s

Because japanese are terrible at english in general
>>
>>51780067
What?
I'd like to see this.
>>
>>51780104
Because Japanese is not an universal international language(and English is).

Seriously, you can go to ANY place in the world and there would be someone speaking English(maybe barely, but still understandable), thanks to the internet. And thats great, universal means of communication is something humanity always needed.
Refusing to learn English is admitting a bond to traditional tribal culture, from which spawned all nationalistic views and beliefs - something you should be ashamed of in the year 2015.
>>
>>51780067
Anyone have this? Curious
>>
>>51776697
Despite stereotypes Japan is highly tech illiterate. They're still stuck in GeoCities and barely moving from windows xp
>>
>>51782637
>not using bloat = being illiterate

go suck gui's dick
>>
>>51779319
Math has no language.
>>
>>51782660
Geocities has the most bloat what are you smoking anon?
Go suck a 2inch dick weeb
>>
File: bat.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
bat.webm
2 MB, 640x360
>>51776697

Because if you were programming literate you would know that they already tried and it has been a huge failure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_generation_computer
>>
>>51782698
There are words in most math papers, http://arxiv.org/ looks like English to me...
>>
because japan would not make a modular piece of equipment

it must be proprietary in application, and used for proprietary purposes
>>
>>51776697
For more reasons than one Japan is not really the most technologically advanced when it comes to IT. As for making processors not only Japan most countries can't possibly compete with their own design because the whole thing is so costly and complicated that only an existing market can justify the development cost.

Besides, for the most part there's very little benefit in coming up with your own CPU other than for national pride which isn't worth billions of tax dollars every year in most countries. If you need them just buy them.
>>
File: Go_away_anon.png (684 KB, 889x515) Image search: [Google]
Go_away_anon.png
684 KB, 889x515
>>51780067
You post it
>>
>>51776697
because they're afraid if they challenge American corporate they might get hiroshimas again sensai desu
>>
>>51780067
>the pic
a decent cosplay of roronoa zoro (one piece, eiichiro oda) in case you haven't figured out.
>>
>>51781024
>Because Japanese is not an universal international language(and English is).
Then use universal piece of software / games / movies.
Most of Japanese products are designed for by Japanese for Japanese. Why the fuck go through the effort of using other people language when you don't care about them?
I use English if I want to interact with English speaking people, like on shitposting websites or when I want to write scientific papers.

You English native lazy fucks should learn Japanese if you are interested in Japanese goods, not expecting us to spoonfeed you with your "universal" language.
>>
>>51781024
Japanese learn English in school, it's a mandatory subject.

They just don't learn it to anywhere near native level and they hardly use it unless they go overseas so they forget it quickly.
>>
>>51783472
I'm not a native English speaker. You're not a native English speaker. And we are having a conversation right now. In English. That was exactly my point.

Software/games/music any consumer shit is orthogonal to this. Refusing to learn English is still retarded.

>>51783549
Yeah, that is the case in many countries. "Learning" English in school and actually learning it are two very different things tho.
>>
>>51778396

>jews all the way down

lolno
>>
>>51783597
> Refusing to learn English is still retarded.
I'm not refusing to learn it tbћ. I just use it when I need to.
If I want to watch say, Game of Thrones or Silicon Valley, I have to adapt and use the producer language. I doubt the producers care about the ambiguity, strange pronunciation or other details.

On the other side, Japanese developers (at least in my entourage) speak basic english but we wont go through the effort of writing the interfaces / documentation in English if we don't care about making the life of the people outside our target easier.

This is not being closed or nationalist.
>If we want to share the content to the most people available, like publishing papers to conferences
Then (broken) engish it is.
>If I'm making tools / products and I am not looking for foreigners to use it. However there are people out there that want to use my stuff.
Then *they* will make the effort of understanding my language.
>>
File: French-Herring.jpg (27 KB, 313x500) Image search: [Google]
French-Herring.jpg
27 KB, 313x500
>>51776697
>image code written in eastern hieroglyphs
>even comments would bewritten in weebanese
>supposedly they would use correct grammar
>animutongue is in the top 3 of moat difficult languages of the world because of grammatical reasons

it would be like a source code level encryption method....
>>
>>51781024
>thanks to the internet.
yeah, that's why everyone speaks English.
and the rest of your argument is dumb. the majority of Japanese live in Japan so there's very little reason for them to learn English properly.

>>51782637
it's like the military, if it aint broke don't fix it.
>>
For Japan only eroge is important
>>
>>51781024
Literally marxist
>>
>>51778301
this fucking idiot
>>
File: g_btfo.png (173 KB, 1239x712) Image search: [Google]
g_btfo.png
173 KB, 1239x712
>>51776697
>>
File: lymmhr.png (201 KB, 1239x712) Image search: [Google]
lymmhr.png
201 KB, 1239x712
>>51780067
This one?
>>
>>51783760
Wew lad, you really think that its easier to learn japanese than english? You can learn english in one year if you really want it . ( no im not an english native speaker)
>>
>>51778468
Stop playing phantom all the time anon he is only good at killing but shit at actually winning in dirty bomb
>>
>>51785594
japanese isn't really that difficult if you don't mind being illiterate
>>
>>51785663
>japanese isn't really that difficult

This is subjective to each person and how much interest they show in learning it. While not fluent, I can get by in Japan with ease. Reading is slightly more of a challenge but being in the environment excels your learning that much more (where and what fucking train am I taking?)
>>
>>51783879
This case is that it's broken but they don't fix it.
>>
File: 1284632602470.png (11 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1284632602470.png
11 KB, 300x300
>>51784083
>>51784163
>that fucking cocksucker (>>538712) apologizing to the japs
EVERY FUCKING TIME
>>
>>51776716
VIA still makes processors?
>>
>>51784163
anyone translate the block of moonrunes?
>>
>>51776716
There was a time I had a system with via processor 750mhz I think. You could overclock but couldn't increase voltages. Got it to 870mHz or so and temps never changed. It would ideal at 28c or so and 31c at full load. All in all I liked it.
>>
>>51786458
I want a VIA system but no one sells them in aus :(
>>
>>51785594
Re-read my messages : I'm not saying that Japanese is not difficult. My point is that if you want to use japanese stuff (software / games / anime / whatever) but there are no option if you don't speak Japanese, you have no right to complain.

If you want english, there are a ton of stuff online for you to use.

If you think that because English is widely use online, everybody HAVE to propose an engish version of their stuff for you, then I suggest you to consider doing sudoku.
>>
>>51786156
>>51785970
>>
>>51781024
this nigga knows what's what
>>
>learning Japanese is difficult, but learning English should be easy for them

A new low for /g/
>>
>>51786634
English is actually very easy if you notice Japanese and English sound very similar except for the fact Japan wants to continue to use moon runes. Kurisumasu > クリスマス > Christmas and so forth. There's no need for the arbitrary runes
>>
>>51786517
They sell the embedded ones on some industrial stores
>>
>>51781024
Exactly the kind of world view you would expect from an autist that lives in his mom's basement with no real-world experience.
You probably believe that nationalism and strong family ties are bad because your parents are so disappointed in you.

Commit sudoku, please.

I bet you buy AMD too.
>>
>>51786733
they could at least introduce spaces like south korea did (best language in the world)
>>
>>51786517
The one I had was a c3 I do believe. Came in a budget xp based desktop from USA. It was a great performer for its price and time. Also it ran so cool. I'm not sure if it even had a fan on the heatsink.
>>
>>51786156
Here you go.

ただいま4chanのテクノロジー板から到着しました
そこらの荒らしが糞スレを立てご迷惑をおかけしまして申し訳ありません

どうしてもこのサイトの名無しさんと交流したがってるらしいです。
もし何かコメントか良いネタがありましたらそこらにお伝えしますんでよろしくお願[い]いたします。

I just arrived from 4chan's technology board.
There's been a shitposter creating shit threads here, and I deeply apologize for the inconvenience we've caused you.

It looks like they absolutely would like to mingle with you Anons1 from this site.
If you have any comments or interesting stories to share, I'll tell them.
Thank you very much.

1The faggot used 名無し (Nanashi/Anonymous on 2ch) instead of としあき (Toshiaki/used on Futaba Channel) ; note that the guys over at Futaba absolutely abhorr being called Nanashi
>>
what a jelly thread WOAH
>>
>>51781024
now im gonna say if you go to eastern EU almost no one ON THE STREET knows english

and they you will say i ment countries that are relevant to the world
>>
>>51778466
What? there are tons of Japanese games on Steam now.

And there are Japanese accounts as well.
>>
>>51781024
Thank you white privilege
>>
>all these autists pretending to not be native English speakers
Topkek well memed my friends
>>
>>51788357
Lol dont blame me for knowing english but not being a native speaker, my mother tongue is portuguese and i probably know more english than portuguese , english is so fucking easy.
>>
>>51788357
german here.
>>
>>51787613
Why do the rest of their names say nanashi then? Moreover nanashi is the default name in the futaba source.
>>
>>51776697
Jap housing is super-small so a desktop computer is usually not viable, contrary to a laptop (before) and merely a phone or tablet (nowadays). For the same reason, vidya is arcade -> consoles. As such, there is no incentive for japan to work on that kind of tech.
>>
>>51776697

Would the CELL B.E. processor qualify as Japanese in part? IBM made the bulk of it both doing design and manufacturing, but Toshiba and Sony helped in great part, right?

It could definitely have been used a lot more than it was.
>>
>>51778379

I thought all jap schools taught engrish as a second language, especially to techies? I realize the written intelectual base of japan must be huge but still.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.