[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DAW Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: bitwig.png (235 KB, 1592x896) Image search: [Google]
bitwig.png
235 KB, 1592x896
Haven't seen one of these in a while.

What DAW do you guys use?
For how long?
What kind of music?
>>
I'll start. Pic related.

>Bitwig
>A couple of months
>Mostly electronic: goa / minimal
>>
>>51774129
How are you liking bitwig?
>>
how is this program compared to fruity loops, also where do you guys get your soundpacks and vst's?
>>
>>51774207

It's the only thing remotely usable on Linux. Don't let those Ardour shills tell you otherwise. I had to crack it myself because poorfag
>>
>>51774225

Bitwig is more comparable to Ableton, it's made by people that previously worked for ableton. Interface is more simple but I like it. Best of all is that it runs on linux.

It comes bundled with a couple of VSTs, but supports 3rd party ones just fine (torrent it bro)
>>
>>51774129
>What DAW do you guys use?

Ableton

>For how long?

7 years

>What kind of music?

Techno
>>
>>51774233
>Don't let those Ardour shills tell you otherwise.

shiggy
>>
>>51774129
Reaper
Couple years
Everything

If you're not using Reaper, you're not worth this board.

Every action can be programmed, you can program your own JS plugins with ez etc..

Ableton is for people knowing jack shit about music but thinking they do.
FL is for people trying to make music, but they don't.
Pro Tools is for oldfags
Same as Cubase
And the rest is trash
>>
>>51774373
>Reaper

>doesn't even run on linux

ISHYGDDT
>>
>>51774397
Whyd you want to run it on linux?
Linux has no driver support for any interface at all.
>>
Cubase

15+ years

Score / classical
>>
>>51774409

>Linux has marginal support for some interfaces.

ftfy

captcha = cactus. fuck yourself with a cactus.
>>
>>51774409

>implying JACK isn't the greatest thing invented
>>
Cubase

any style of music

not so long with a daw ive been playing guitar since I was tenager
>>
>>51774373
I think reaper is one of the bottom tier daws
>>
>Use/used logic for 5 years.
>Switched to reason about 6 months ago.
>glitch

>>51774409
>Linux has no driver support for any interface at all
>I have no understanding of what I'm talking about.
>>
File: project.jpg (285 KB, 1152x825) Image search: [Google]
project.jpg
285 KB, 1152x825
FL Studio v10 (last one without the grating-looking font and with legacy patterns)

>For how long?
About 4/5 years

>What kind of music?
All kinds of music because it's my job, but I'm in a future bass vibe when I get do things for myself.

>>51774373
wew lad
>>
>>51774233
>It's the only thing remotely usable on Linux
What about Renoise?
>>
>>51775746

sucks
>>
anyone here use modular synthesizers?
>>
>>51776501
pleb detected
>>
Cubase 6
>For how long?
~5 years
>What kind of music?
Basically anything instrumental
>>
I got a question guys.
A friend of mine was teaching me music production (he focused on dubstep, brostep, DNB, and trap) but i moved away and he isn't one for phone calls, text, skype, or really anything that isn't face to face.

So first, what is a good program that is versatile at making many different kinds of music (more than just hiphop and electronic?) He was teaching me ableton, but i dont remember shit. But i do have ableton live 8.2.2 already installed if it is decently suitable it saves me a download.

Second, what/where are some good tutorials for beginners, mastering, side chaining, setting the frequencies so everything sounds right, etc.
I really don't know shit about what i just said other than some very basic understanding of the out come after listening to my friend explain it. Except for side chaining, i have nary a fucking clue what that shit is.

Any and all help would be appriciated, and yes i am a fag, newfag, pleb, or what ever else you wanna call me.

Also, what kind of specs are well suited for music production?
>>
Fuck that whole game of what music is supposed to be right now. It’s so fucked up even listening to what sounds like people trying to get super good at a video game or something. It doesn’t even sound anything like self-expression, it’s like… I’m awesome within these predefined parameters that are presented to me. Which I guess most artists feel is what’s exciting about a genre. They see a few people doing a similar thing and then everyone just jumps on it and goes, “I’m this now!” It’s like if a bunch of people wore the same fucking outfit from the Gap, you know? What is the difference between that and being awesome at World of Warcraft or something? Not much. It’s almost the same thing if you think about it.
>>
>>51774373
>>51774373
I've used Reaper before.
It is awesome, and easily the most Rich DAW but it's also intimidating and it has a steep learning curve.
I'd rather use Ableton/Cubase and focus on my music performance to make it sound better that trying to find every workaround and feature in Reaper.
>>
>>51777207
ableton is fine. torrent some vst's and lurk youtube tuts and forums and youll be on a good path. i just started too
>>51777967
soapbox, lel
>>
cubase pro 8

just started a month or so ago

edm stuff, just soaking it all in atm
>>
>>51779445
You bought cubase just to soak it in?
>>
>>51779413
>soapbox, lel
it's pasta
>>
>>51779445
yeah, and other stuff too.
>>
- Cubase 7.5
- 3 years almost full time
- Orchestral, some rock, and I'm starting to produce electronic things now. (and now I'm really enjoying the things one can do with synths... it's just amazing)

I find automations in Cubase very annoying regarding electronic music though. I was thinking about trying other DAWs.
>>
>>51777967
I have to agree with you, but I think these people simply lack talent. They are not creative, they can just copy others.
>>
>>51774129
Bitwig
>For how long?
6 months
>What kind of music?
Rap, DnB, EDM/house

Used Ableton for 3-4 yrs prior to switching to Bitwig and so far I'm pleased with that choice. The only downsides are the learning curve and the limit on how far you can zoom in on the piano roll
>>
File: Screenshot-2.png (10 KB, 1092x75) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-2.png
10 KB, 1092x75
Do you think the successor to midi will ever be released?
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.