[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want an internet of things in my house, but I don't want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: downloadfile.jpg (116 KB, 1900x1900) Image search: [Google]
downloadfile.jpg
116 KB, 1900x1900
I want an internet of things in my house, but I don't want my devices to talk to things outside my home without my permission, so any products which rely on their servers to function is out.
I want to be able to tell my microwave to tell my TV when I'm making popcorn so it should load the next few episodes of my show before I even walk in the room. I want my oven to announce to the speakers in the room in which I'm currently when it's heated. etc.
Where should I start with this project, and how do I go about it?
>>
>>51772795
I want my microwave to have an app I can use on my phone to see a thermal view of the food it's heating so I can know when it's warmed all the way through
>>
>internet of things
I've seen people on here get really mad at this term, but I don't see anything wrong with it?
>>
File: 1448560492668.gif (529 KB, 252x176) Image search: [Google]
1448560492668.gif
529 KB, 252x176
Raspberry Pi, ZigBee, gpio sensors, relays, etc.

I've been researching the same as you; mine is more or less controlled lights and shades.

Control4 does this, and the boxes / controllers run Debian, but they still require to speak to the central servers, and they're hella expensive.
>>
>>51772858
I wouldn't mind my devices going through my router if it would be easier/simpler, but I just want to keep the botnet out of my toilet.
>>
>>51772941
I agree; I also used to install / program Control4 systems. They're shit.

You may want to consider making a main controller / hub for communication between your appliances.

An arduino+ZigBee+sensor+relay/servo at the appliance end, and the hub with a Raspberry Pi + web interface and php bash commands.

Don't forget about password protecting the interface.

This is as far as my knowledge goes with this.
>>
Maybe it's time to start a GNU/home project?
>>
>>51773057
Thanks fampai
Which appliances should I go for if I want to set up easy automation, e.g. microwave knowing I hit the popcorn button & letting the TV know without me needing to explicitly tell it to after.
>>
File: 20151209115102.png (7 KB, 663x376) Image search: [Google]
20151209115102.png
7 KB, 663x376
>>51773092
A lot of people talk about making logos these days but I'm doing something about it
15 seconds in TuxPaint for Android
>>
>>51772795
>internet of things
meme
>>
>>51773179
>not wanting to install gentoo on your ceiling fans
>>
>>51772795
>I don't want my devices to talk to things outside my home without my permission

That's the whole point of the internet of things.

What you want is to use your home Wifi for home appliances, so you have control.
But alas, botnet of things will become a thing and they will spy on your 24/7
>>
>>51772854
Well, it's the same thing as m2m (machine to machine) which is older and more correct.
Probably the hate is aimed at the trendy imprecise name.
>>
>>51773132

I think a microwave wouldn't make a great candidate because of the EM interference.

You would need to have knowledge of the microwave's PCB and how it functions. Or just solder directly to the button, and work from there.

Again, I'm just guessing now. But a microwave may not be a great candidate.

Try messing with a thermostat, door sensors (starts music?), Bluetooth or WiFi + MAC address connection triggers, and similar.
>>
>>51773201
>fridge notices I'm drinking all my alcohols
>tells my car when I get in it to go to work
>car won't start, locks the doors
>car calls the cops and I'm arrested
>>
File: cry.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
cry.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>51773201
>learn how to cook my own pizza
>buy all ingredients with cash from local farmers market
>go to cook my pizza
>oven is connected to the internet of things
>tfw the botnet won
>>
>>51773201
Not really. OP concern is justified.
For me it doesn't even mean that I don't want it to exit from the house, though.
You could engineer a system relying on your own server instead of a third party service. to have both the remote control aspect and being safe from the botnet.
>>
Coffee machine and toast start when alarm clock is done
>>
>>51773228
>it's the same thing as m2m (machine to machine)

No it's not.

It's Wifi.
With access points covering the entire city and free/very cheap access for manufacturers.

It allows manufactures to connect home appliances to the internet without user permission. - that is all it is.
>>
>>51773274
My argument exactly

>>51773239
>>51773057
>>51772858

Also, what happens when these companies go belly up and the IOT turns out to be "just a phase". You've got very expensive paper weights.

Create your own controller / server.
>>
>>51773297
>having to actually get up when the alarm goes off or your toast burns and your coffee goes bad
>>
>>51773274
Again, you're not understanding what the difference is between "internet of things" and "home WiFi".

"Internet of things" is, by definition, a 3rd party service.
>>
>>51773338
>internet
Network of computers hooked up together to exchange data
>internet of things
Network of things hooked up together to exchange data
>>
>>51773240
Funny you should mention your car calling the cops...
http://jalopnik.com/womans-car-rats-her-out-to-the-cops-after-she-tries-to-1746777810
>>
>>51773372
Oh, and for eveyone else, a breif look at the future of IoT.
https://twitter.com/internetofshit
>>
Some random ARM board as server (or maybe your router if its hw is good) + arduino (or even better AVR processors + pcb) for things / anything that can run linux for complicated things like tv or settopbox
>>
>>51773369
>>internet of things
>Network of things hooked up together to exchange data

INTERnet means connected to the rest of the world.

Your alarm clock can communicate with your coffee maker over a LOCAL AREA network.

IoT is to upload user data to centralized servers, so companies can spy on their users.
It's not to let devices in your home communicate between each other, that's called home automation.
>>
>>51773369
Intranet is a thing.
>>
>>51774082
THE internet is connected to "the rest of the world." OP is obviously talking about your own personal internet.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.