[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where is the market for functional laptops? We have a choice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
Where is the market for functional laptops?

We have a choice between A) plastic trashpiles with obsolete hardware and 1366x768 screens, B) (admittedly well made) MacBooks and their clones - which can't be modified or repaired in any way, or C) half baked gimmicks like convertibles and tablets with cheap keyboards.

Where does a person get a non-trash, non-soldered, non-gimmick laptop in 2015 going on 2016? I understand the margins aren't there for a functional market but I don't want to spend $1500+ for good hardware and build quality saddled with "value adds" like touchscreens and pens and shit.
>>
>>/tpg
>>
Install gentoo
>>
File: asus-ux303ln-conclusions.jpg (72 KB, 780x443) Image search: [Google]
asus-ux303ln-conclusions.jpg
72 KB, 780x443
>>51771566
I use an Asus UX303LN/LB
-Trackpad never fucks up
-Drivers for everything can be found on Linux
-1x m.2 SSD slot
-1x 2.5 inch drive slots
-nVidia 740m (LN) or 840m (LB) IN AN ULTRABOOK
-6 hour battery life on Windows
-4 hour battery life on Elementary OS Linux
-1080p IPS 13.3 inch touch screen cuz why not compared to 900p TN on 13.3 inch Macbook Air
-Hundreds of dollars cheaper than a new Macbook Air and outperforms it
>>
>>51771707
You mean "Old anime laptops bought with grocery store paychecks: The Thread"?
>>
>>51771756
Same. Battery life is pretty shitty and the hinges need some re-tightening every now and then, but otherwise it's alright.
The touchpad makes me cream myself every time, there is basically zero friction.
>>
>>51771566
Go back in time, you don't belong to this timeline.
>>
>>51771832
I feel more friction on it than a macbook
The texture is like glass plastic mix, let's call it glastic. Maybe I just have sweaty fingers.

Also how do you tighten the hinges?
>>
>>51771832
I never had an issue with the battery life btw, I can always get through a long day at uni with it, 2 is pushing it.
>>
If you're looking for something repair and upgrade friendly, look at eurocom's website. They use clevo shells/mobos, which are probably the most configurable you're going to get. Absolutely amazing specs for the price, too (way better pricing than other clevo resellers like Sager). Some models are pretty bulky, though.
>>
>>51771863
>Also how do you tighten the hinges?

It's just some shitty metal tube around a pin, I just take pliers and squeeze down a bit on them.
There are a bunch of videos on youtube how to do it. Thanks Pajeet.
>>
Manufacturer refurbished business laptops. Make sure you get one with a transferable warranty and all that jazz.
>>
>>51771566
I like convertibles. Haters gonna hate.
>>
>>51771566
It fucking sucks. If you want new stuff, you have to buy an expensive thinkpad or similar, and even they are heading towards full retardedness with internal batteries, shitty expansion space, muh thinness memes and other useless shit.

Yes I'm mad. I just bought a new ThinkPad X250 because I got it for cheap, and you have to open the whole bottom cover to change the hdd. What the fuck? Thinkpads used to have separate covers for ram and hdd. Then it also has this internal battery which cannot be activated by software, so you have to physically remove the external battery if you want to use it. Fucking piece of shit, should've read more comments about it before buying. Good functional laptops simply don't exist anymore.
>>
>>51771756
Doesn't it have soldered RAM? My X1 Carbon (also an ultrabook) has the RAM soldered directly to the MOBO so there's no way to add more or replace a faulty module. I understand that the manufacturers can shave off ~50mm or so by soldering the RAM to the MOBO but it still sucks.
>>
>>51771908
Thank you and Pajeet.
>>
File: Asus-UX303LA-Disassembly-1.jpg (317 KB, 1280x822) Image search: [Google]
Asus-UX303LA-Disassembly-1.jpg
317 KB, 1280x822
>>51772040
It's removable but I don't think I'll ever upgrade. I got the low-end i5 4210U with 4GB RAM and I don't think I'll be running over 4GB of processes with that processor.
>>
>>51771982
>thinkpadproblems
>>
File: m2shitter.jpe.jpg (48 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
m2shitter.jpe.jpg
48 KB, 640x480
>>51772083
Oh wow, it even has a standard laptop HDD in there, the X1 Carbon has one of these shitters (pic related)
>>
>>51771566
Good question. And where is the market for functional smartphones? QHD on 5 inch screens... so much wasted processing power just to impress technologically illiterate people with high numbers.
>>
>>51772143
The Asus has both and a discrete GPU.
>>
>>51771566
The ASUS Zenbook UX305.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-Zenbook-13-3-Inch-Laptop-Windows/dp/B01315TIZI/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449675646&sr=1-7&keywords=Zenbook+UX305
>>
>>51772299
>core M
But yeah that thing is sexy as hell
>>
>>51772314
How you can call that bezel sexy is beyond me
>>
>>51771982
Retro ThinkPad.
>>
>>51772299
Im using this laptop and its great. I got it for 650 € and I haven't regretted it yet. The 1080p screen is perfect and the battery life lasts me for like 7+ hours of light use (uni work). I can even play WoW on this thing. Also so damn light, a lot of people in my class have said that they wish they had seen this laptop before.
>>
>>51772299
> The ASUS Zenbook UX305
>>51772299
On it right now... Accept it all cool and light and has EPIC battery life... the biggest CON is .. NO keyboard backlight... :(
>>
>>51772083
I'm not seeing the m.2 SSD, where is it?
>>
File: IMG_5834.png (3 MB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5834.png
3 MB, 1920x1280
>>51771770
More like "functional no-bullshit laptops bought with neetbux: the thread" to be quite honest with you family
>>
File: 4L_ew0IJB17.jpg (27 KB, 480x259) Image search: [Google]
4L_ew0IJB17.jpg
27 KB, 480x259
>>51771982
>tfw when your laptop doesn't have a hot-swappable HDD
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.