[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi! I see a lot of people spamming "install gentoo"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 219x230) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 219x230
Hi!
I see a lot of people spamming "install gentoo" under any thread, but is it really worth considering for average user ?

Average --> basic understanding of computer science, able to code in 1-2 languages.
>>
File: kek.jpg (29 KB, 535x455) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
29 KB, 535x455
>average user
>basic understanding of computer science, able to code in 1-2 languages.

[spoiler]Also no.[/spoiler]
>>
>>51769607
install gentoo
>>
Nah, you have to be pretty smart. I think the average IQ of Gentoo users is 151 or so. That data is from 2011 so it might be lower now.
>>
Any serious answer ? Cmon if i want some sarcastic smart ass comment i go to /b/
>>
>>51769667
install gentoo
>>
I spam install gentoo but I personally use arch kek
>>
File: IMG_20151204_222608~2.jpg (95 KB, 522x395) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151204_222608~2.jpg
95 KB, 522x395
>>51769667
Kek'd
>>
>>51769679
arch IS gentoo
>>
>>51769667
>>51769607
your typing style and namedropping /b/ tells me you're about 13-16 so I would say give it a shot, but don't expect yourself to get it first try
>>
>>51769689
I speak bad because english is not my first language.
>>
Is it worth sitting down when peeing? I'm an avarage pisser and piss 3-4 times a day
>>
gentoo is a meme distro
arch is superior in everyway
thank me later

oh snap i just exposed /g/
>>
It's good as a learning experience, I wouldn't use it for any kind of main operating system. I don't want to play about with something I'm meant to work on.
>>
File: 1416617292661.jpg (31 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1416617292661.jpg
31 KB, 640x480
>>51769717
>arch is superior in everyway
>>
File: Botnet-tan.jpg (69 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
Botnet-tan.jpg
69 KB, 640x426
she is waiting for you anons. don't disappoint her.

install botnets 10 today. its like having a waifu micromanage your lifestyle and steal your information.
>>
>>51769695
Nah, that's because you are bad with languages.
T. Anon
>>
>>51769856
Still not answering my question, i bet here nobody understand shit about computers
>>
>>51769909
Just fucking install it and see if you like it
>>
>>51769607
>>51769909
What's your use case anyway? What do you want to do?
>I want to audit all of my program's code and install them after that
Install gentoo
>I want to get into kernel dev
Install any linux
>I want to code
Install any linux
>I want to be superior at desktop thread
Install gentoo, dl 9 TB of anime
Gentoo's good if you want to get a small improvement in program efficiency, want to use emerge or feel superior in neckbeard circles.

And it's I, not i, faggot.
>>
>>51769909
It doesn't matter if you know some HTML and read a few cs articles on Wikipedia. What matters is how well you know Linux. If you're a winbabby you won't even get as far as setting up the kernel.
>>
>>51769655
Bait.
>>
Maybe you should try it OP. What have you to lose?
>>
>>51769972
I'm a winbaby and I set up gentoo as my fisrt experience with Linux.
>>
>>51769607
lurk moar
>>
>>51769854
L-lewd
>>
>>51769607
>average
>can code at all
Yeah no.

The average computer user is effectively computer illiterate. Hell the average computer user struggles to put their pants on right.
>>
>>51769717
>use abs
>want to disable shit
>edit every PKGBUILD
>>
>>51769607
Gentoo is a distribution of Linux.

It differs from others in that it offers barely any precompiled software, which means you have to compile everything yourself. Unlike Debian, Ubuntu, Arch and Fedora which offer precompiled software that you can just download and run.

This means that users of Gentoo are forced to compile all their software ultimately giving them a tiny tiny tiny bit more control over what they want their computer to do, compared to users of other Linux distributions.

But you can also choose to compile your own software on Debian. Arch, Fedora and Ubuntu. So the possible advantages of Gentoo are basically a subset of the advantages of these other Linux distributions.

Basically, Gentoo appeals to the minimalism autists of /g/ because it forces you to be minimal. Other distributions allow you to be minimal too, but also allow you to not give a fuck and just start being productive.
>>
>>51769667
it's a fucking meme, don't install it, literally almost all distros are better
>>
>>51769909
USE-flags, portage, openrc, evdev, eselect.
Gentoo is the best linux distribution ever made desu senpai. You will learn more about linux just by installing it than using ubuntu for 2 years.
>>
>>51769607
>but is it really worth considering for average user ?
I use arch and gentoo every day, and gentoo is a pain in the fucking ass, even compared to arch.
You don't need to know how to program, but you need to be comfortable with the terminal, able to edit config files, troubleshoot, and read outdated wiki pages.
>>
genstall intoo
>>
>>51769607
>average PC knowledge
>basic understanding of CS and able to code

>taking the gentoo meme seriously with that knowledge

It's bait hidden in bait.
>>
>>51769960
>a small improvement in program efficiency

Is it even worth it, considering the time you have to waste on getting it to run? I assume you would have to run it quite a while non-stop to make up the time you lost when you didn't pick a distro that could be installed with a few clicks
>>
I installed arch
>>
File: nv68[1].jpg (269 KB, 809x609) Image search: [Google]
nv68[1].jpg
269 KB, 809x609
>>51769854
I-I want Touko-chan to look through my hentai collection!
I want Touko to watch me masturbate!
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.