[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Viable cheap phones (battery life, browsing)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: windows phone.jpg (375 KB, 1567x1000) Image search: [Google]
windows  phone.jpg
375 KB, 1567x1000
If I don't care about apps (seriously only have youtube and pandora), and just want good battery life with decent web browsing are Windows phones legitimate? Seems like there are some with very solid specs for under $200 with excellent battery life.

If not, does /g/ have any other recommendations?
>>
I had a Nokia Lumia 630 that fuckin rocked, it was great. Browser was fast, battery life was decent, and i never had issues with lag or freezes on it.
>>
>>51766952
I have a 635 and it's great.
>>
>>51766980
Nice, worth the switch from a crappy android phone? Mine currently will last about 2 hours with moderate browsing before it needs to be charged.
>>
good battery life because noapps
>>
i have a lumia 640 and a nexus 6p. i sometimes use the lumia because it's a more enjoyable experience for some things.

lumia isn't bad, even the cheap ass bottom-rung windows phone i used was buttery af

the no apps meme is painfully true though, which is why i had to get a lagdroid.
>>
>>51767034
also, my boss used my lumia 640 one time and said these exact words. "this phone is really nice"

he has an iphone.
>>
>>51766994
definitely, it even works the same way as android as far as file browsing goes, plug it into a pc and all the files and folders are there to be seen

Believe it or not, it does have plenty of apps, its easy and comfortable to use and it actually puts that awful windows tile thing to good use
>>
>>51767034
>>51767044
>>51767096

Thanks guys, so for the under $200 pricepoint any android contenders? I am pretty sold but want to cover my bases.
>>
File: 1350806702804.jpg (168 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1350806702804.jpg
168 KB, 1280x960
I accidentally cracked the screen of my Nexus 5, and none of the current $400+ on the market really appeal to me enough to justify the purchase.

I'm thinking of picking up a Lumia 640 and using that for maybe a year or so while I wait for future generations of hopefully more attractive phones. Plus it would be neat to see how Windows phone works.

The specs look fine enough to me but I'm concerned about the 1 GB RAM. I browse the internet a lot with multiple tabs and switching between the facebook messenger app. Is 1 GB enough without making me constantly refresh webpages?
>>
>>51767132
under $200?

um where do you live?

I just noticed in the OP that you wanted the youtube app. There isn't an official one from Google for Windows phone, but there are plenty of serviceable options
>>
My android Samsung is my primary phone but I use my Nokia Lumia 925 for streaming music and of course pictures the cameras amazing
>>
>>51767158
idk man, i don't use my phone like that

i never noticed any lag at all using my 640, 1 gb ram is fine for windows mobile os
>>
>>51767196
I just deep down really don't want to pay more than that for a phone. Last time i upgraded was when you could get free ones from verizon. Dont want to have a $120+ phone bill (have to be on verizon because of rural area)
>>
>>51767242
>verizon
damn, say goodbye to the 640 then

doesn't have cdma bands
>>
>>51767242
What, so are you actually on verizon right now and looking for a verizon phone?

Thats pretty important to know
>>
>>51767242
it would have been nice to know your carrier from the start.

the phone in your OP doesn't have bands for CDMA networks, so no verizon or sprint.
>>
>>51766994
I'd half-suggest it. I have the 640xl and it goes 2 days easily without a charge, and I use it for Netflix / Podcasts / Music / Internet pretty frequently.

The problem is that there aren't any apps you can download. Sure, there's an app store, but everything in it is absolute shit. Almost every app I've seen is made by some weird Indian dev who makes everything in the Indian language. I don't have any useful Maps apps, as the built-in one never seems to work.

In terms of what a regular smartphone should do, though, this knocks it out of the park. Incredible battery life, microSD card, and usable camera.

I'd love to get a Nokia Lumia with Android, honestly.
>>
>>51766952
>>51767242

I'd recommend looking at 2013 or 2012's flagship phones. Prices drop pretty fast, and they're still fairly usable if you're only looking for battery life and casual usage.
>>
>>51767376
>>51767413
>>51767434

fuuuuuck. Yeah I have to stick with Verizon, no one else has coverage where I am at. Well shit guys, thanks for the heads up, any suggestions now?
>>
>>51767158
Maybe see if the screen can be repaired? Not sure about the n5, but my n4 screen was like 60 bucks (digitizer included).
>>
>>51767758
as far as i can see there are only 3 windows phones on verizon right now. the Lumia 735, LG Lancet, and HTC One M8.

i can't tell you about the battery life on any of those though. I'd suggest skimming through your options on Android phones or iOS, or trying your hand with prepaid carriers that may have service in your area.
>>
>>51767132
try the Xiaomi phones
redmi note 2 is around 150$, is HUGE and has decent stats overall, there are also a bunch of other redmis with slight differences in specs and price.
You need to buy them from china though since they dont yet sell officially outside of eastasia, make sure to check vendor reviews
>>
>>51766952

in car integration is far superior on Windows phone compared to Android if that's meaningful to you. I had a Lumia 920 and now an Xperia Z4 and Android's car integration is ultra frustrating and useless compared to what I had.
>>
>>51766980
How are the newer Lumias? Considering buying one.
>>
>>51766952
Old flagship Android would be better. You'll get the apps, and a better camera. The Samsung Galaxy S4 should be around $200 now, so I'd go for that. Better screen too, + micro SD card. The Snapdragon 600 will do better in web browsing than the newer 400 or 200 will.
>>
File: nokia-lumia-630-unboxing-4.jpg (243 KB, 1148x689) Image search: [Google]
nokia-lumia-630-unboxing-4.jpg
243 KB, 1148x689
>>51766980
>>51766989
I have a Lumia 630 DS and the GPS is fucking terrible. The fix is fast, but it cannot track my bicycle rides properly and loses signal on almost ever other ride. It's really a great feeling when you do a 50 km ride and find out your phone only recorded the first few kilometers after you get back home. Fuck.

If you want to get a Lumia, get one with 1 GB RAM+.
532 is a good budget phone.
735 is a great value for the money.

I think I'm going to buy the Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 after I return this POS and get my money back.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.