[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Router IP addresses trick question?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1
File: router.png (116 KB, 765x371) Image search: [Google]
router.png
116 KB, 765x371
I assign 10.0.0.1 with mask 255.0.0.0 on an Ethernet port on my router, and 192.168.221.14 with mask 255.255.255.0 on a second port. Could this work? My two answers, not sure if this is a trick question:

Yes. The broadcast domains don't overlap.

OR

No, because the masks don't match
>>
Should work fine. However, having such a large subnet is retarded.
>>
>>51766622
>Could this work?
maybe, what the fuck are you actually trying to accomplish?
raw literal answer: if your router supports VLANs, yes
>>
This I would imagine would work if as long as a routing protocol was set to allow access
>>
I am taking this exact final at this exact time. I wonder who in my class you are. Did you present today or thursday? I presented today.
>>
>>51766788
Cool can you tell me the answer to "Will a layer 2 switch perform its switching function if it has no IP address?"
>>
>>51766788
I presented last Thursday, didn't come to class today. I just submitted my final and the answer is Yes to both questions. Good luck.
>>
Thanks man, take care. I'll keep in mind which Linux firewall to use. :D
>>
>>51766905
You're welcome. I wonder if anyone else will find this, I hardly use 4chan. Can I get initials? Are you taking wireless security next term?
>>
>>51766829
PLEASE
DONT
THROW
SAUSAGE
PIZZAS
AWAY
>>
I sat in the same row as you at the very end. And no, I'm not. I never use 4chan, I just found this trying to do research on the answer to your first question.
>>
>>51766963
Why don't you just tell me what order of presentations you did today?
>>
>>51766963
G.H.T., I.A.B., K.N., T.C.K., D.A.L., C.T.V.?

I don't know a lot of the student's names in the class.
>>
>>51766918
ayy lmao
>>
>>51766715
vlans have nothing to do with that question
>>
>>51766715
>people spouting terms they know about but don't understand
>>
>>51767112
check your D2L. I think I got the right person anyway.
>>
>>51767266
Actually you didn't get the correct person if you tried to Email me (I hope not) because I did show up to class today. I just lied so you wouldn't know who I was, but I did present last Thursday. Just give me your initials lol
>>
>>51766622
If the router supports VLSM then yes.
>>
>>51766622
It depends on what it is you are trying to accomplish.

First, let's assume you can assign different IP subnets to individual interfaces on your router. Something only >mid level/SMB type stuff supports (in my experience).

If you are wanting 2 separate networks, yes, mission acomplished. But devices connected to each of the ports won't be able to talk to each other unless the router, well, routes between the 2 networks you've created.
>>
>>51766622
Define work. Seriously, WTF are you even asking?

Can you assign different addresses to different ports on a router? Maybe, depending on the router. Can you route traffic between the two subnets? Sure. What the hell does the broadcast domain have to do with any of this?

>>51766829
>layer 2
>IP address
>>
>>51766622
What do you mean by "work?" as in be reachable?

The broadcast domain is irrelevant, the two ports could be in the same broadcast domain and it would still work. Same with the subnet masks. Even if the two ip addresses where in the same network it could still work (eg 10.0.0.1/24 and 10.0.0.2/24). The only thing that could not possibly "work" is if you assigned the same IP address to both ports.
>>
>>51768221
>VLSM support being an issue
>2015
>>
>>51766715
i don't know the first thing about vlans, but i do know that it has nothing to do with what op's doing
>>
>>51766829
IP is a layer 3 protocol, silly, layer 2 switches can't have an IP
>>
>>51768506
Not really accurate... Managed switches generally get an IP that is used to communicate with them for management purposes. But, it doesn't play any role in the forwarding of traffic.
>>
>>51768528
i specifically said "layer 2 switch" to avoid confusion with managed switches
>>
>>51768576
Uhm, fuck stick, a switch can be layer 2 and managed.
>>
>>51768576
I find it more precise to speak of management plane, control plane, and data plane. Your layer 2 switch would be better described as a switch possessing only a control and data plane.
>>
You could read the assign reading
>>
>>51766622
>Having a broadcast domain of 255.0.0.0
HURRRRRR!

Buy yourself a fritzbox you are too retarded to configure a router.

There are billions of information sources that you obviously fail to find or understand so better stick to consumer shit.
>>
>>51768576
>i specifically said "layer 2 switch" to avoid confusion with managed switches
Managed layer 2 switches are also layer 2 switches you mongoloid
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.