[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Linux 'good'?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: background.jpg (272 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
background.jpg
272 KB, 1920x1080
Hey /g/ so I'm currently using Windows (I'm a good goy you see) and I wanted to split my disk and use Fedora or Mint however I want to understand the legitimate benefits of using Linux as in is it worth the hassle of setting it up etc? On a side note I currently started a job as a junior software dev so I want to be able to do some small time projects for educational purposes so are there benefits for an ignorant person, in terms of programming, for using Linux?
>>
things are documented and work as you would expect, there is no random magic / random clicking on gui / restarting this and that for the laugh
>>
>>51758000
Linux caters to a more autistic people
>>
>>51758088
Thanks for the insight lol.
>>
>>51758000
>Why is Linux 'good'

Are you white, OP?
>>
>>51758402
and no, Indian or Arab does not count as white.
>>
If you're only doing general purpose software development, Windows is fine really.
>>
Because once you write a few scripts to automate stuff and use cron you can just do whatever

And then when you start learning things like puppet, chef, salt, or ansible you can just add boxes with zero effort

It's probably not worth it unless you really want to spend a lot of time to streamline everything

You're going to want to look into using version control though
>>
File: Frithjof-Hoverpod.jpg (126 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
Frithjof-Hoverpod.jpg
126 KB, 640x478
>>51758000
Linux/bsd/*nix is good because the windows terminal and it's tools are complete shit.

The best thing you can do is to just make the jump and start learning. Get comfy with the standard cli tools, understand piping, and learn a terminal editor (vim/emacs/nano or similar)
>>
>>51758000
Nice trips bud.

Linux has no malware on literally everything like Windows does.
Get a system that Just Werks™ like Linux Mint or a *buntu (not Ubuntu though, it's botnet) and watch as you get comfy as fuck. If you are into
>gaymin
you should headback to >>>/v/ with your *buntu system installed.
>>
>>51758000

Is it worth the hassle? It depends...

Do you like to tinker? Do like to customize things? Are you curious? Are you technically minded? Does studying and learning come naturally to you? Would you categorize yourself as "not mainstream"?

As for the benefits to a software dev...let's just say if you can't get Linux to work, you probably won't make it very far.

You better learn it, quick.
>>
>>51758000
>tfw you will never be a qt 3.14 girl playing vidya while in a spaceship
>>
>>51759439
You break it down in terms of personality I mean "Are you curious?" Well fucking yeah given I'm a human and what not though what exactly should I be curious about in this case?

All I want is a comprehensive breakdown as to why Linux may be advantageous over Windows in terms of just sitting there and writing shit programs that have 0 functionality but I learn a thing or two - other than that I don't care for games I just want it for multi media purposes etc.
>>
>>51760073
Complete control
>>
>>51759061
this desu senpai
>>
after setup, it's stable as a fucking rock. programs that work and aren't updated never break ever.

problem is, ubuntu updates have a bad history of doing exactly that.
>>
>>51760073
>All I want is a comprehensive breakdown as to why Linux may be advantageous over Windows in terms of just sitting there and writing shit programs

1. The source code for the entire system and pretty much all the applications are available, so you have a huge body of work to study from if you want to see how a certain thing is done.

2. The entire terminal environment acts as an IDE. Read more here: http://blog.sanctum.geek.nz/series/unix-as-ide/

3. System logging is much more usable and readable than Windows's god-awful event viewer, and programs that fail often spew a stream of debug info on to the terminal from which they were spawned. These make diagnosing problems with programs much more straightforward.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.