[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't you on Google Fi yet /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 11
Why aren't you on Google Fi yet /g/?
>>
Not available in shitrael
>>
>>51755084
>Why aren't you Google's bitch yet /g/?
Corrected that for you.
>>
Only available on ~3 phones, and they're all not ones I have.
>>
not even sure what it is
>>
>>51755204
>Steal service from everyone else's towers
>>
So I live on east coast USA, I have a nexus 6. Got invited to Project Fi. Was excited to try something other than VZW for once.

Eventually porject fi sim comes in the mail. Activated and everything... Ported over my Google Voice Number... okay so far so good. >can call
>data works well
>get texts
>cant send texts???

contact project fi support. This should be easy right? Ive heard good things.

Holyfuck. Project fi support is THE WORST support ive ever dealt with.

Its clear the issue with the texts was on their side. But I had to spend 3 days emailing back and fourth doing piddly little troubleshooting steps on my phone (clearing cache, uninstalling hangouts, etc) (meanwhile I have changed roms like 8 times, reflashed to stock, relocked my bootloader, and so many things just to be sure it wasnt muh roms)

So about 2 weeks of bullshit goes by. Still cant text. Reading on /r/projectfi ( :O muh reddit). Apparently some other people had the issue. Send the link to google like "wtf guys just do the fix you did for them"

they are like "okay our engineers will work on it"

4 more days go by. Finally get on live chat/call google fi. yell about canceling servvice. "okay sir you can cancel anytime :)" (aka DO IT FAGGOT)

"we are aware this issue is important to you! Our engineers will contact you within 24hrs

24 hrs later. Still nothing.
>wtf
>"oh sorry, ill have an engineer contact you tonight"
uhg
still nothing
canceled project fi.

4 days later I get an email from the engineer
"Hi could you please clear the cache on the app and send a bug report"

motherfuckers. Never again. The service wasnt that good. And frankly its not even that cheap. Just get an MVNO

For my next cellphone plan (after my VZW contract expires) im going to get a Dataonly plan (for like tablets and shit). and Use google Voice and Hangouts for calling and text over IP. You can get real cheap data plans. Like $70 for 10GB of data.
>>
>>51755084
>using something relatively non mainstream and implying everyone else must necessarily have some reason why they're not conforming to your usage patterns
>>
File: Screenshot_20151208-090033.png (177 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20151208-090033.png
177 KB, 1440x2560
But senpai i am
>>
>>51755084
I live in the UK - otherwise I'd be on that botnet quicker than you can imagine
>>
File: Screenshot_20151208-121740.png (135 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20151208-121740.png
135 KB, 1440x2560
I am
They keep sending me care packages (I think because I complain about customer service and coverage to my friends in Google hangouts)
They just sent me some legos, headphones, a phone case, and a power bank...
>>
>>51756280
Everyone's got those packages. I got the headphones, powerbank, and case when I joined first, and got the legos last week. Pretty nice to be honest
>>
>>51755965
>>51756280
>>51755084
Botnet/10

Kill yourselves
>>
>>51755490
>Just get an MVNO
are you retarded? it is. they lease bandwidth from t-mobile and ericsson (sprint) towers
>>
>>51755084
Because it would be significantly more expensive than my current plan
>>
>>51755490
>Like $70 for 10GB of data
That's more than I pay for unlimited talk, unlimited text, and unlimited full speed LTE
>>
>>51755490

>reddit

Deserved it faggot.
>>
>>51756280
Hold on, 60$ for 4GB of data?
I'm in France and I have 6GB of data for 10€. Why is America so expensive?
>>
>>51757263
Setting up infrastructure in America is an order of magnitude more expensive than doing so in France
>>
>>51757090
kek

>>51757291
except they're not setting up infrastructure, they're leasing bandwidth right?

We've got a couple of virtual providers here in the Netherlands, some relatively new, and they're usually dirt cheap. I'm on a ~$10 contract (sim only) for 300 minutes/sms + 500 mb internet. Don't need more since I've always got wifi, so I only use it to shitpost in the train.
>>
>>51757338
>We've got a couple of virtual providers here in the Netherlands, some relatively new, and they're usually dirt cheap.
because the setup and backhaul behind it was dirt cheap (and subsidized)
>>
>>51757120
Thanks to competition, I paid only $10 for unlimited talk, text and lte data.
>>
$30 5gb on T mobile is a better deal for me
>>
>>51755965
How is it?
>>
I am on a Verizon FiOs at my house. It is fast as fuck, but is extremely expensive and has a 10gb cap.

My contract is almost over. I will be switching to a local cable/dsl provider. They aren't quite as fast but they have a 300gb cap, but only slows down somewhat after that is hit. Instead of charging extra. It is only $60/month vs Verizon 10gb cap at $90/month. When I got the Verizon it was my only choice. Waiting for the contract to be over so I can switch. I am going to see if the local company has a business version. I hope they do.

I am getting assraped without lube by Verizon atm. Although, hopefully, will be finished with them shortly.

I wish where I lived, had more options. Oh well....finish this bullshit CON-tract out and switch to a slightly slower speed with much more data available for MUCH cheaper.

Wish me luck, senpais.
>>
My plan costs 18€/month

- Unlimited calls
- Unlimited Sms
- Unlimited data 4G
>>
>>51757603

>I am on a Verizon FiOs at my house. It is fast as fuck, but is extremely expensive and has a 10gb cap.
>10gb cap

Man I could do 10GB in an hour on my current 100/20 connection. Honestly, I think you meant 10TB, or even 1TB, but if you've got FiOS and you're capped at 10GB, my god, you're getting fucking ripped off in the extreme, son.
>>
$30/mo reporting in, so far I haven't had any issues. I like the service.
>>
>>51755084
For someone who uses more than 1 GB of data per month it isn't worth it. Just get T-mobiles unlimited everything plan for $30 a month. After 5 GB in a month you go back to 3G so what? I'd rather it be slow after 5GB than have to pay more. And it's not even close to as bad as sprint. They are literal shit.
>>
File: IMG_0019.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0019.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
I'm on Project Fi with a Nexus 5x. I live out in the sticks so wifi calls and texts are fantastic. My only other choice is paying $50+ a month for a single bar of Verizon. It's rare that I use more than 100MB of data a month, so my bill on Fi is $21. It works well and I can keep my phone on airplane mode with wifi turned on and get days of battery.
>>
>>51757263
People make more in the US so $60 is reasonable for them
>>
>>51757966
Eurofags are lucky as fuck. I'm planning on moving out there. America is full of greedy fucks.
>>
>>51755084

1) Invite only.

2) Requires Nexus 5X or 6P.

I still have a Nexus 4. It works fine except that their latest software update ruined the ability to take pictures with flash (flash fires, then photo is taken after everything is dark again) and causes lockups about every three days.

I have no intention of buying another phone unless it has a MicroSD slot. I'm not a hipster faggot living in 4G LTE land. I want my podcasts and music on local storage.
>>
>>51755490
>im going to get a Dataonly plan (for like tablets and shit). and Use google Voice and Hangouts for calling and text over IP.

I hope you don't call much, because that's going to be latent as fuck.

I tried doing that. It's awful. Mobile phones already have a ton of latency. Using GVoice probably brought it up to about 750ms of latency.

It used to actually be pleasant to talk to people on the phone. Back when you could actually hear minor details from the other side, and have natural communication. Now it's like using a walkie talkie, always interrupting each other, "oh, go ahead", etc.

And people marvel at how Millennials are so reliant on texting, snapchat, etc. It's because the phones they've grown up with are awful for actual use as a phone.
>>
>>51759764
>People make more in the US so $60 is reasonable for them

^ this fucking dipshit
you a good little sheep aren't ya?
>>
Not in Canada and also way more expensive for what you get vs my 90 bucks 5 gig plan that's LTE+
>>
Locked into a contract until November next year. Thought about either google fi or T-Mobile + google voice. I'm hoping there will be a good deal for either $20 or $30 a month
>>
>>51759931
They get keked by terrorists. Don't go there.

On the other hand, you won't be leaving your fapcave, so you should be fine
>>
>>51760006
this so much tbvh
>>
Just read the Wikipedia article on Project Fi.

How is this not just a shittier version of Republic Wireless?
>>
unlimited 4g lte for life

t-mobile $80 1 line, 100 2 lines.
>>
>$100 for 10GB
>per month
>for a fucking phone

Holy shit what is wrong with you
>>
How do I get this for my iPhone?
>>
Why isn't it free?
>>
>>51760320
>They get keked by terrorists
Pretty sure its more dangerous in the USA with the lax gun laws and school shootings and what not. Terrorism is scary but when you look at the actual statistics its fucking nothing. Gun violence in the us however is a different story, prolly depends a lot on where you're at though.
>>
So, do you really have to have a 5X or 6P, or can you use any ol' GSM phone?
>>
>>51760859
If you live in Chicago or an area with a lot of african americans then "gun violence" (i.e. violence involving guns) is most definitely an issue. If you do not, then it is not something to be afraid of.
>>
File: 00000001.jpg (21 KB, 425x319) Image search: [Google]
00000001.jpg
21 KB, 425x319
Holy shit.
Even Jewgle Jews the Americans more then their own ISP/MSP
>>
You don't want to be using someone else's towers, you don't get prioritised.
>>
>>51760859

I have a significantly higher chance of winning the lottery than I do of being a victim of a mass murder event.

By the way, I lived in the SF Bay Area for several years. Petty crime is pretty common in SF. Violent crime is fairly common, too, but guess what? If you're not involved with gang activity, your chance of being a victim of it is virtually zero.

Check out the death-by-firearm statistics for Thailand. For a country with extreme gun control, it's *shockingly* high. But it's almost entirely focused gang activity. As a foreigner, unless you get involved in illegal gambling, buying drugs, and child fucking, you're never going to even know.
>>
>>51760887
It's not just guns, the us just have a high murder rate in general. I don't mean to be incendiary, just saying the whole terrorism thing is blown out of proportion. Neither I nor any friends of mine nor my extended family have ever been hurt by terrorists , I've never witnessed a murder or anything yet on my third day of my stay in NYC a junkie knifed her dealer dead in front of my hostel (Brighton beach, shady area, but still)
http://www.businessinsider.com/us-vs-western-homicide-rates-2014-11?IR=T
>>
>>51755084
Because it's 1) Ridiculously expensive, and 2) I live in Europe.
Based on what I've heard, if they get Google Fi going in Europe with the same pricing as in Murica, it'll crash and burn from being way the hell too expensive compared to... Just about every other option. Almost every single provider in Europe has better and cheaper plans than Project Fi by a lot.
>>
>>51761007
>Check out the death-by-firearm statistics for Thailand
Thailand isn't in europe,

Anywho I agree that gGun laws aren't that big a factor but the NRA and the military industrial complex sure did a good job flooding the nation with arms
>>
>>51755084
>not in my area
>don't use Android
>have no issues with current carrier
>>
>>51755084
I just de-googled my phone why would i want to allow them to see my texts and calls?
>>
File: fi.png (131 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
fi.png
131 KB, 1440x2560
>>51755084
I'm on Fi. I was on Sprint beforehand. So I have the same, if not better, coverage. I live in Boston though so coverage is generally pretty good because it's a metropolitan area.

I have no complaints. Glad I finally got off of the family plan I was on. Now I can control how much data I use.

I have a 2GB plan. Have used less than 1GB and I only have 3 days left before the month is up. End up paying less per month than I was before. All is good. Hell, it may even force me to put my phone down should my data use gets close to the limit for the month.
>>
>>51761114
>Thailand isn't in europe,

Wow, you get a gold star for figuring that out. Retard.

>Anywho I agree that gGun laws aren't that big a factor but the NRA and the military industrial complex sure did a good job flooding the nation with arms

Uh. American consumers did a good job of flooding the country with guns.

You're not very bright, are you?
>>
>All this talk of data caps
jesus h christ america
>>
>>51761345
There's a reason why people I the us tend to own more gu s per person thatn almost anywhere else. It's to do with history too but if you think the NRA and friends had no part in this you're not thinking straight
>>
File: 1449106225735.jpg (69 KB, 498x482) Image search: [Google]
1449106225735.jpg
69 KB, 498x482
>people would rather have their traffic monitored by Verizon or AT&T over google

but why

Anyway I would probably use Google Fi if I had a 5X or 6P.
>>
Asus zenfone 2 with dual sim, unlocked, $300 on amazon...

T-Mobile for the main one and at&t prepaid backup with no data just call and text

I never have an issue with service. Total bill is about $30/mo
>>
File: received_443378425868294.jpg (29 KB, 539x960) Image search: [Google]
received_443378425868294.jpg
29 KB, 539x960
>>51757090
>126gb
I can't even manage to use 5gb/Unlimited, even with torrent downloads and video streaming..
>>
>>51761461
>if you think the NRA and friends had no part in this you're not thinking straight

The NRA doesn't significantly drive gun sales. They started as essentially a club, and now they're a lobbying organization defending the industry.

Americans like guns and they buy them, period.
>>
>>51761376
The Internet is not something that you just dump something on. It's not a big truck. It's a series of tubes. And if you don't understand, those tubes can be filled and if they are filled, when you put your message in, it gets in line and it's going to be delayed by anyone that puts into that tube enormous amounts of material, enormous amounts of material.
>>
>>51762204
Except that the US government has given tax breaks to these big ISPs to upgrade their "tubes," yet these companies have done nothing to upgrade our network infrastructure at all.
>>
>>51755490
>reddit
Deleted all the information you stated from my brain.

There isn't anything wrong with fi.
>>
I could, but would end up paying a shitload. I will easily eat up like 50GB and it'd be an issue.
>>
>>51755490
Don't sign up for a beta service if you're not willing to live with bugs.
>>
>>51756280

>>51759764 and >>51757291 are both wrong. It's because here in the US almost all of our ISP's and cell service providers are owned by or affiliated with media companies. The fucking jews ruined cable & satellite and they want to do the same to the internet too.
>>
I got invited but I don't have the money to pay the early termination fee for verizon or the money to buy a Nexus just yet
>>
Because I live in Ireland where I can get unlimited 4g for €20 euro a month.
>>
>>51755490
>10GB of data
>70 burgers
America is truly a third world country. I can get unlimited data, calling and texting for $25. Do you enjoy getting raped in the ass by your providers?
>>
>>51755084
> why haven't you downgraded your quality of cellphone service yet, /g/?
>>
>>51755084
Costs way too much for higher data tiers. Plus Sprint and Tmobile coverage around me blows donkey dick.
>>
>>51757437
100 bucks for two phones on tmobile. Unlimited text, minutes, and all the days I can consume.
>>
I bought my Nexus 5X and ordered a Fi simcard and was ready to set it all up, but google Fi is apparently incapable of transferring my number. I've tried several times and it just something went wrong. Customer service says I'm doing it wrong, but I'm copying my AT&T information down exactly.
>>
>>51765244
Have that same plan, fucking great.
>>
Doesn't offer unlimited data.
>>
>>51757124
>>51762419
>my blind hatred of plebbit is so irrational that I read right past the part where the guy says that he found the only correct solution there
>>
I don't even know what that is.
>>
It's limited to a few phones I have no interest in buying.
It uses the two worst networks.
The only thing it has on Ting is wifi calling.
It's only cheaper for a select few people.
>>
My $35/month T-Mobile plan I'd cheaper and better for my needs
>>
>>51765865
*is, typo
>>
>>51755084
because southern california has pretty good coverage anyway so I don't need two networks
>>
>>51756987
Yeah well in America if you want "affordable" then you have to deal with shitty mvno. Otherwise get keked from major ass rape carrier.

>>51764769
no i dont enjoy it.

>>51762672
you are still paying for the service. I gave them over a week to fix and issue that they apparently have fixed before. just sharing my experience

>>51760006
Ive been using it for months, talk on the phone every day, never had a problem with latency. If anything its better than my regular phone service was.
>>
>>51757603

>10GB cap

There's something suspect about this.
>>
Because a friend of mine added me to his family plan for $10/month. I get everything unlimited.
>>
>>51756969
>imblyig every ducking cellular network isn't a botnet already
>>
>>51757263
|
|>
|
>>
>>51755246
>hi im 12 and what is mnvo
>>
>>51755084
>Why aren't you on Google Fi yet /g/?
Because Mordor.
>>
File: 2015-12-09_09-54-37.png (240 KB, 865x456) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-09_09-54-37.png
240 KB, 865x456
>>51756280
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH FUCKING AMERIKEKS!

Here in Russia i can have UNLIMITED 4G + 300 minutes calls to other operators for as little as 8.14 USD.

And 300 minutes + 3gb for 2.7 USD
2.7 USD vs 60 = KEK'D
>>
>>51757411
explain
>>
>>51756987
>sprint
Sprint is baller as fuck in DC.
>>
>>51760006

Fucking hell this so much.

Talking on a phone these days is awkward. We really should just start saying "Over" So the other party is clear it's their turn to talk.

Pretty much the exact reason I detest phone calls and would prefer everybody to just use LINE.
>>
>>51757338
>We've got a couple of virtual providers here in the Netherlands, some relatively new, and they're usually dirt cheap. I'm on a ~$10 contract (sim only) for 300 minutes/sms + 500 mb internet. Don't need more since I've always got wifi, so I only use it to shitpost in the train.

America is bigger, has more white space between cities, federal/state/municipal regulations that pretty much all carriers must traverse, diverse backhaul and a laundry list of other things that complicate things. You might as well ask why Russia or Africa doesn't have cheap service that covers 95% of their land.
>>
>>51757603
>I am on a Verizon FiOs at my house. It is fast as fuck, but is extremely expensive and has a 10gb cap.

Where the fuck do you live that FIOS has a cap? Last month I used a little over 12TB. The bills are bitchy but they just say that I use more than the average of 175gb for my area.
>>
>>51759931
GTFO communist scum.
>>
>>51755084
Did you get the lego phone holder too?
>>
>>51767795
я eбaл. Haшёл чeм гopдитcя.
>>
>>51768124
Deb.
>>
>>51761065
Look at gun violence by race. It's predominantly an urban black issue. No one wants to talk about it since "facts is racist" but Bloomberg did attempt to talk about it once and it was quickly whitewashed out of the media. There is very little gun violence outside poor urban centers.
>>
>>51755084
>data isnt unlimited
What's the point in it?
>>
>>51761461
Wow. You're determined to pin this on the NRA like they're some sort of Scooby Do bad guy. The market and politics have far greater affect on sales than a bunch of lobbyists. The only thing they're actively attempting to get people to buy are memberships.
>>
>>51767795
I pay $75 for unlimited voice, text, and web so I don't have to live in Russia. How much do you pay a month in dash cams?
>>
>>51768263
>dash cams
Wat?
You mean fines? Nothing, i don't have a car. There is too many fucking cars.
>>
>>51768276
>You mean fines? Nothing, i don't have a car. There is too many fucking cars.

No I mean dash cams you autard. Russia is know for their dash cam footage but turns out you're a poorfag without a car so the $3 month cellphone service makes sense.
>>
>>51768371
Gtfo cunt.
>>
>>51755490
>hurr fucking durr my rooted snowflake bull shit doesn't work well with new beta software

AM TECH SUPPORT AND I AM FUCKING TRIGGERED

fuck you and your bullshit douche rooted shit. I deal with you people every fucking day and you act like because you had basic reading comprehension to follow tech blog #678's fischer price tier rooting guide on your already open phone you are a tech savant and refuse to listen to anyone.

>reflashed to stock and relocked bootloader
fuck you I KNOW you fucked that up somehow. Every single rooting dickhead I have ever dealt with ended up admitting it was his own damn fault several days in. AFTER they tell me a million times im worthless at my job

YES IM MAD.
>>
>>51755084
i be in london
>>
>>51767988
except they do, I used to live in africa and you could have unlimited texting & calling for ~$3 a month. This was back when data wasn't a thing yet, but I visited again recently and prices for that were decent as well.

You're just getting kekked and enjoying it.
>>
>>51755084
>Why aren't you on Google Fi yet /g/?
I use the walmart t-mobile plan.

$30 a month for 5gb 4G LTE, 100 minutes, and unlimited text. I hardly ever talk on the phone so I never really use my minutes and I have four extra gigs of data that I can use under tmo than I would under fi.

Plus I didn't have to buy a nexus. I can use my 640 or my vzw moto e
>>
>>51767914
I've got 5 companies competing for contracts in my city, and my city is quite crowded that laying cables and setting up base station is relatively cheap. Of course the price is gonna drop.
>>
>>51757338
>I'm on a ~$10 contract (sim only) for 300 minutes/sms + 500 mb internet. Don't need more since I've always got wifi, so I only use it to shitpost in the train.

Damn thats pretty expensive, southern neighbour of yours here. I get 2hours/1000 sms + 4gig for around $16 with pay as you go sim not even contract.
>>
>>51767795
>Windows XP
>>
>>51768903
How do you survive with 5 gigs of data? I easily use around 10-20 gigs a month...
>>
>>51769115
Easy, I use wifi at work or at home.

I only really use my data for gps, music, and email.
>>
>>51768799
You're smoking Nigger shavings. Africa does not have service over 95% of its landmass for that low cost. It exists around metropolitan areas and is different in each country. If your phone works in Johannesburg there a no saying whether it will work in Timbuktu or Cairo.
>>
>>51768390
Hahaha BTFO.
>>
>>51755084
TOPEST TOP KEK EVOR
in paris you can get
>jihad (hidden joke)
50gb of data for 4€
with a pretty good coverage...
>>
File: naugthymuricans.png (25 KB, 285x260) Image search: [Google]
naugthymuricans.png
25 KB, 285x260
>>51770983
here fgts.
>>
>>51755084
>10$ for text and calls + 10$ for each gb of internet data
>good plan
Choose one and only one.

I pay 5€/month for 2gb internet, 200 sms and 200 min calls and each extra gb is 5€.
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.