[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your excuse not using based debian 4?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: scrot.png (198 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
scrot.png
198 KB, 800x600
everything works from here
>>
My privilege level is 3.1 megawhites so I'm worried Debian will refuse to run and format all my drives instead.
>>
>>51754570
My excuse? Everything works. Simple enough.
>>
This daily Linux distro debate shitshow is fruitless and banal.

You want everything to just work right off the bat--for whatever reason? Use Ubuntu, Mint, Voyager, Debian, etc...

You want ultimate control over everything in your system? You know what to do.

Either way you're supporting free and (for the most part) open-source software.
>>
>>51754570
Everything does -not- work. And if it does for you then you're not doing anything with your computer.
>>
>>51754570
I use Stretch, for software compatibilty.
>>
because I use linux from scratch, it's nice to know exactly how every binary was compiled on your system.
>>
>>51754570
those were the days anon
>>
>>51754570
Mad nostalgia.

On testing now, with MATE because I have trouble accepting change.
>>
install gentoo
>>
File: Botnet-tan.jpg (69 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
Botnet-tan.jpg
69 KB, 640x426
because I already use the world's most advanced operating system that is future proof and can run any software I want.
>>
File: 1448720921695.png (270 KB, 373x503) Image search: [Google]
1448720921695.png
270 KB, 373x503
>>51756586
>my autism bucks keep the ramen and chocolate milk flowing
>what to do with all this free time? let's waste time compiling obsolete software and wasting electricity

You are a waste of oxygen you mouth breather
>>
>>51754570
What? Debian 4? Isn't Debian like version 8 or something now?

Does Debian really turn your mentality to "older must be better, so let's just go even older"?
>>
>>51754570
Sid here, I like to live dangerously.
>>
>>51754570
Etch was a good release, but Jessie is so much better.
>>
>>51754570
what would happen if you downloaded etch and changed the sources to stretch or jessie? Would it shit itself?
>>
>>51757593
How's it been, stability wise?
>>
>>51757935
Well my current debian install is half a year old, but it started out as a jessie install (back when jessie was still the testing distribution, and not the stable one). Then I updated it to stretch, and last week I updated it to Sid, because some software, like filezilla, aren't available for testing, and also because other anons told me that there is no reason to use testing, and linked me to this: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html (basically it doesn't recommend testing to anyone, only stable and unstable). Ofc you can install apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges to list known bugs before you update your software. Nothing, except deadbeef broke (it crashes instantly after starting), however that wasn't installed from the repos, it was downloaded from the author's site. I guess I'll look at the error messages or try to compile it from source.
>>
>>51758084
Yeah I was linked to that the other day when getting a fond ribbing over using testing. It makes sense but I still feel dubious about it.

I noticed the lack of software too, thought it was a bit weird and just installed stuff from websites. Never thought to check if what I wanted was available in sid.

Screw it, I'll give it a go.
>>
>>51758084
>I updated it to Sid, because some software, like filezilla, aren't available for testing
Apt-pinning is also an option though.
>>
Nostalgia'd, gnome was the shit back in the day, fuck this gimped mate ugly thing
>>
>>51758367
Really? I think it's yummy. How's it different / ugly? Maybe I'm misremembering what GNOME was like a decade-ish ago.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-08_20-44-03.png (59 KB, 823x513) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-08_20-44-03.png
59 KB, 823x513
>>51758270
Maybe you have more experience than me, but I didn't know that stretch lacks the security and volatile channels, so you only need to change the first to items in your sources.list. I first changed all of them and apt gave me errors. Pic related.

>>51758340
That tutorial is really nice, although I don't regret my decision desu. If something fucks up, I don't care, I usually have a less than two weeks old backup of my system, so I just put that back on, and I have the most recent packages (that you can get on debian).
>>
Does Debian automatically remove old kernels like Arch does after an upgrade?
>>
>>51758969
I think they keep the last one around (you can boot into it in advanced mode), but you can manually remove it, and they only keep the last one, so you aren't gonna have like 20 kernels accumulated on your machine.
>>
>>51759080
OK so if I run Debian testing or unstable I don't have to worry about a fuck ton of kernels? Or is it just Stable that remover them? I want to run Debian but I'm concerned with system maintainence.
>>
>>51758969
Normally you get a notification that you have old packages that are not needed anymore. By running:
apt-get autoremove

you can remove the packages (and old kernels)
>>
>>51759359
OH, >>51759080 here, I always run apt-get autoremove after updating my system, as >>51759893 suggests, I just forgot to mention it, but I guess you'd do that anyway (I mean it's a basic thing to run
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get autoremove

to update your system on a desktop computer).
>>
>>51754570

Goddamn why is GIMP so fucking disgusting, its like the furryness of the splash image offsets any potential benefits.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.