[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Future Technologies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 5
Let's have a real discussion about interesting technologies that are in the future but are not far down the road like for example electric cars or highly efficient solar energy panels.

For me, I have high hopes for the Wendelstein 7-x fusion reactor built in Germany (germanfag here).
I think fusion power is THE way to go in the future in terms of energy generation, IF it is possible.

Another thing I am really interested in is the possible use of nanites for medical purposes.

What do you guys think are the most promising / interesting technologies and how will they impact our every day life?
>>
An interesting site concerning this topic (albeit with a shitty domain name) is http://www.futuretimeline.net/latest.htm

Most of their tech posts are relatively well researched. Just ignore their stupid shit on social issues.
>>
really /g/?

1 hour and literally no one answers a topic that is for once fresh and not the same shit as everything else?
>>
>>51752400
Medical implants that monitor all your vitals, schedule medical check-ups and call the ambulance when something isn't right.
>>
>>51752400
Wasn't this thing supposed to go active sometime this fall? What's the status on it?
>>
>>51753087

This might be very useful. As long as you could also monitor your own health on your smartphone / pc, it might be really useful for those with certain conditions (think diabetes, heart diseases and so on).
Might also help fatties to slow down and put down the fork for a second

>>51753200

Actually, it is supposed to start on the 10th of December, so two days from now!

Also, nice to see at least someone is interested in thing beyond smartphones and linux on this technology board
>>
Package pipe deliver pipe to your house or 3d printing material goo pipe. Either one would work.
>>
>>51752400
Wait, we have a fusion reactor in Germany? The only thing I knew about was ITER.
>>
>>51753650

The pipe thing I cannot really see. Do you have any source for this actually being developed?

The 3D printing of stuff I can totally see happening. I guess at one point in the future the "You wouldn't download a car, would you?" commercial will have been rendered a total joke.

>>51753662

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendelstein_7-X

for english speakers:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendelstein_7-X
>>
>>51753200
ded
>>
>>51752400
A really good os. Not even kidding.
>>
GRAPHENE FUCKING WHEN
>>
>>51754120

no it isn't

>>51754251

That of course. Too bad we are stuck with what we've got now and it looks like it's only getting worse.
What would be your idea of a really good OS? Something like LCARS on Star Trek or so?

Also, since we're on computer stuff, quantum computing seems like the next big thing in terms of really high jumps in performance. Anyone got an inkling as to when that shit is going to be consumerlevel?
>>
>>51754278
Quantum computing is never going to see consumer grade, because consumers don't have any use for it at this time.
Quantum computing sounds like such a buzzword.
>>
>>51754324
>Quantum computing is never going to see consumer grade, because consumers don't have any use for it at this time.

Putting 'never' and 'at this time' in the same sentence and the same context does not really work. Of course, it is not interesting to consumers yet. Just like all the other stuff discussed here. That is the point of the entire thread.
>>
>>51754278
For the immediate future I'd like something like a mix of the best features of all operating systems. Functioning package manager but with a user repository so you never have to hunt down repos(like the aur only with more support), functioning drivers , support for all prop. programs( in a perfect world we wouldnt need this), one standard toolkit which is easily customizable ( let's call it qt6 or something), more easy control on what processes are running or phoning home and stuff like that. I really don't know that much about technology or programming( I'm here to learn about that stuff a bit) but it seems insane to me that we have all this amazing technology but can't get a proper browser or sane operating system.
Further in the future I'd like to see something like LCARS.
>>
>>51752400
I just paid for my groceries the other day by putting my phone on a box

That's pretty future.
>>
>>51753087
google is working on something similar iirc. They already developed the contact lenses for people with diabetes. Their ultimate goal is probably a swarm of nanobots in your body that monitor your health and potentially help your body repairing itself after damage etc.
>>
>>51754437

That sounds fantastic in principle, but it also immediately begs the question: Do we want tech like that in the hands of Google?
>>
>>51754425
Enjoy the botnet payment.
>>
File: 000949.jpg (44 KB, 550x535) Image search: [Google]
000949.jpg
44 KB, 550x535
>>51754472
>Do we want tech like that in the hands of Google?

Was also my thought

>open google search
>see ads for treatements for leukemia
>mfw

the thought alone makes me uncomfortable.
>>
>>51754437
Why not figure out how to prevent diabetes in the first place? At least type 2.
>>
>>51754513
>the thought alone makes me uncomfortable.

That is pretty alarming, yes.
Also, the nanites would need to be ABSOLUTELY hack-proof.

>>51754518
>Why not figure out how to prevent diabetes in the first place? At least type 2.

Sure, of course, but I guess there will always be diseases / maladies. Also, live monitoring of your vitals might just be beneficial on a day to day basis.
>>
>>51754425
Just using 4chan gives me the future feels

>millions of people from every corner of the world communicating at once
>anonymous posters distributing information for the hell of it
>unfiltered social commentary
>posts uploaded in less than a second
>refresh rate is however fast you can hit F5
>captcha also teaches AI how to identify objects
>>
>>51752400
Waiting on:
>full body cyborg conversion
>nuclear fusion
>brain uploading
>portable low power HUD

That's pretty much why I'm still holding on to life; a fleeting chance that one of these technologies would be made possible in my lifetime
>>
>>51754425
I'm waiting for the day I get to the check-out and it's staffed by an actual robot and not Microsoft Sam.
>>
>>51752400
eternal youth please.

also nice dubs
>>
>>51752400
High quality augmented reality is coming pretty soon if these guys http://youtu.be/kw0-JRa9n94 deliver. I'm pretty sure their tech works by beaming lightfields into your eyes, it'll be interesting to see what they can come up with.
>>
>>51754509
It doesnt go through any American company, and the app used here is managed by a respected local bank.

I'm not worried.
>>
>>51753087
botnet
>>
>>51754606
>eternal youth please
Why would you want that? I just want to die eventually. Or do you think you're that important you can't be missed?
>>
>>51754655
eternal youth != immortality man
>>
>>51754663
Aging is a beautiful process in its own right
>>
>>51754606
Enjoy your mental diseases 150 (or even less) years down the road.
>>
>>51754545
>Also, the nanites would need to be ABSOLUTELY hack-proof.

No such thing
>>
>>51754734

I know. I guess they will be injected, do their thing while under supervision and then get taken out some way to avoid tampering with people.
>>
>>51754563
I too want brain uploading. What would happen to our consciousness if we lost our biological needs and desires. Like sex for example which plays a fairly large part in our decision making. Liberate me from my libido.
>>
>>51754324
They're not being developed for consumers right now anyways. First they're still researching and then it'll be used for scientific, engineering, government purposes possibly never seeing consumer use because it doesn't have a place there. Quantum computers are no better than conventional computers for daily use stuff, ie shitposting, watching anime, playing games.
>>
>>51752400
Fast-switching, high-temperature superconductors
I want my 8.00GHz CPU already

Fun fact, high temp superconductors already exist (up to 141C), but not many people are aware of them because nobody's producing them at a large scale.
Source: http://superconductors.org/Type2.htm
>>
>>51752400
I want concrete proof of multicellular (or equivalent), extraterrestrial alien life. Sapience, intelligence optional, but preferred. Bacteria need not apply.

Also, a cure for autism.
>>
>>51753087
I'm surprised something like this isn't available to the public yet. A self regulating insulin pump would be really welcome. Just make sure it isn't wireless so some faggot can't hack you and put you in a coma.
>>
>>51753200
the electromagnetic field is already tested and works fine. in two days they first want to test it with Deuterium - plasma. germanfag here too, no idea whats the name of that isotope in english. I really hope it works.
>>
>>51754278
if i got that right, quantum computer wont have more performance. they wont have binarycode which is only 1 and 0. quantum computers process with 1,2 and 3. but im not sure about this
>>
>>51755170
deuterium is the same in English as in Deutsch, um ehrlich zu sein Familie

>>51755230

Yes, they are using superposition to achieve more states than two which of course means more data on fewer hard disks if you will.

But I seem to remember that they have the potential to be extremely efficient and outperform anything we've seen so far. Only that models these days fucking suck in comparison and are nothing more than proof of concept
>>
File: 1446681638713.gif (793 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1446681638713.gif
793 KB, 400x400
I wish I knew all of the nuances associated with attempts at proper fusion energy harvesting. How do we induce such a reaction? What kind of failsafes are necessary in a system like that? How is it fueled (in the same vein, what level of fusion does it do)? I'm never going to be a nuclear physicist/engineer but this shit is insanely interesting.
>>
File: TJNiY0E.jpg (297 KB, 1600x1195) Image search: [Google]
TJNiY0E.jpg
297 KB, 1600x1195
Being the optimist I am, I hope that one day some kid will post an tutorial on the internet on how to build one in your garage.
>>
>>51755340
if im right, they put deuterium into that tube, generate a massive electromagnetic field to heat it up. it will be hotter than the sun. also, it is pretty safe because you have to put in energy all the time to keep the reaction running. in nuklear reactors, the reaction keeps itself running. thats why it is so dangerous.

the most dangerous thing that could happen, is that the reactor breakes and the plasma melts through everything. but there is no fallout or something.
>>
>>51754472
Google is by no means perfect, but when it comes to the options of making a better future I rather trust them over MS/Apple/some unnamed company that may be the NSA's bitchboy.

Also in terms of medical advances in technology go, its incredibly slow due to ethics community approval and of course if in the hands of a pharmaceutical company wanting to see how they can make it a continuous profit rather than a temporary profit.

Shit, Google might be more of a good guy about your health than a wide amount of big pharmaceuticals go.
>>
Water filter that doesn't rely on electricity or anything, just filters water instantly through the use of carbon nanotubes AKA graphene.

You could draw water from any kind of pool and all the crap is immediately filtered out leaving you with fresh water, meaning you could drink from the sea with it or drink from a disgusting fetid pool in some swamp, even from a pool of LITERAL SHIT/PUKE/BLOOD.
>>
>>51755419
Wait, what? Only a little fuel added at a time? I was under the assumption that fusion reactions require constant fuel. My thought would've been that it's just so low level that without a constant pure stream of fuel in the form of some kind of small atom it would fizzle.
>>
>>51755432
>NSA's bitchboy

but Google is so far up the NSA's ass, it's not even funny.
https://wikileaks.org/google-is-not-what-it-seems/
>>
>>51755438

Really? What about viruses? Or does it only let things the size of molecules through?
>>
>>51754563
Brain uploading for what? It is just a copy of your brain, it is not "you". It does not bring you anything after you die
>>
>>51755432
i agree. google seems to me as the most "good" powerfull company. just google, what they do for their workers and what they do for their families in case of the workers death... i really am sure that they care more about the future and technology than about making profit.
>>
>>51755463
It would only allow H2O through, the ultimate filter. That's what makes graphene so neat, it's so fucking versatile.
>>
>>51755441
no you are right. you permanently have to add energy to keep the EM field running and you also have to add new Deuterium/Tritium. but the reactor simply will stop working if you turn of the power.
>>
>>51754278
Quantum computers dedicated to pi. If every number can, theoretically, exist within pi, then so too can blocks of binary.

A quantum computer that calculates pi and then assembles and binary blocks it finds into something human readable.

>tfw knowing that somewhere in pi is the binary that when assembled will depict you being drilled in the asshole by Donald Trump
>>
>>51755530
Quantum computers will never be a thing, they'll always be a separate nifty thing that is good for shit like sheets but for most things, quantum computers are absolutely fucking useless.
>>
>>51755493
But we can't drink water this pure anon, at least not for very long time
>>
>>51755588
Consider your options Anon
>Dying of dehydration
>Drinking pure water for a while
>>
>>51755561
Actually once they're commercialized quantum processors will completely revolutionize encryption and anything involving non-polynomial time problems.

>>51755530
No offense, but that's rather silly. There are way better ways to generate random blocks of binary, say by representing pi purely in binary. Also, you can parse that information however you feel, just make an algorithm that turns a binary sequence into a picture of you getting nailed by trump.

>>51755521
How efficient is this compared to, say, the theoretical efficiency of a liquid thorium reactor?
>>
>>51755634
They're already commercialized
The bitch is they always have to be cooled and the shit you use them for is extremely limited.
>>
>>51755653
Nah, you mean that D-wave bullshit? That's like selling Babbage machines to accounting firms. Woo! You can do 50+43 almost as fast as you can in your head!
>>
>>51755634
they dont know yet i think. they dont know if they "produce" more energy than they loose in the process.
>>
>>51755686
Well damn. I wish we'd look into LTR more before we start trying to venture outside of fission.
>>
>>51754745
But that defeats its purpose
>>
>>51754563
You do realize that brain uploading is merely copying your memories right? You would still exist in your organic body, except you will have a robot following you around thinking its the real you.
>>
>>51755465
This, we still haven't debunked dualism

>>51755298
>More states than two means more data on fewer hard disks.

It would also mean having to convert everything between ternary and binary, since binary computers would by no means become obsolete.
>>
Walking vehicles when?
>>
>>51753683
He was probably thinking of Rohrpost
>>
>>51756545
aren't walking vehicles terribly inefficient? also I can't see that thing in the pic lifting anything really heavy without the legs sinking into the ground
>>
>>51754278
For an OS I think Synthesis OS is some good inspiration
>>
>>51754345
Aussies made one using silicon
>>
>>51756545
1994 to be exact. That's an actual photo you know...
>>
>>51752400
>Wendelstein
Sounds like a waste of space that could be used to house refugees
>>
>>51752429
http://singularityhub.com/ also has some nifty articles
>>
>>51758326
http://www.technologyreview.com/
http://www.sciencedaily.com/
http://scienceblogs.com/channel/technology/
>>
>>51758282
we don't need space for refugees, silly. operation "soylent sand" will take care of that problem as well as world hunger ;^)
>>
>>51758440
>implying anyone who doesn't eat pork could possible taste good
>>
it always annoys me when I see all those projects and their estimated time till production. science is getting slower and slower with each year passing.
takes decades for any new technology to get released. If I had the fucking cure for cancer in my hand right now it wouldn't save a single patient until many years from now.
All I want is to do disgusting experiments on humans in my underground lab, is that too much to ask?
>>
>>51758466
zey will eat what we will give zem to eat!
Dr. Klotzenpotzen's patented fattener will make zem tender and jewsy. jaja very good.
>>
>fusion
Just 10 more years until we're 20 years away from a 30 year plan to bring us fusion 40 years from then.
>>
How much longer until AI waifus. Literally the only thing I care about.
>>
>>51758744
if the feminists have their way, never, or rather you'd have to go to another country to get one, manage to sneak it back home, and not let anyone know about it
>>
>>51754634
>beaming lightfields into your eyes

no thanks
>>
>not putting all your hopes and dreams on polywell fusion
>>
>>51752400
I've read an article on this reactor a few weeks ago, I remember a comment making note that this type of reactor (previous iterations) has not yielded a net gain in energy generation yet - is this true OP?
>>
>>51756545
Walking vehicles are impractical. The closest thing to "walking" vehicles we'll get is a tank something like link related w/ adjustable height

http://img12.deviantart.net/7a74/i/2013/068/9/2/mammoth_tank_i_by_chaoshour-d39k9us.jpg
>>
>>51758744
When will we have automatic boob/pussy feedback devices to go along with the Oculus Rift? That'll be a good stop-gap until we get robo-waifus.
>>
>>51755530
No one knows if pi contains all finite strings of digits in its expansion. And even if it did, it's not particularly interesting. There are much simpler numbers with this property. And again, they're not interesting either. I don't see why you'd need to take a detour via numbers instead of just enumerating the possible strings directly. There's nothing special or magical about numbers.

And why do you think you'd need a quantum computer to compute digits of pi? Is there a quantum algorithm that is faster than the traditional ones? Post source, plox.
>>
>>51758247
I'm aware also bump
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.