[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
64 bit ARM laptops with 8 GB RAM Does this exist already? >"One
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: 1449174156169.png (157 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
1449174156169.png
157 KB, 500x378
64 bit ARM laptops with 8 GB RAM
Does this exist already?

>"One of these days, I will actually have a machine with ARM. They said it would be this year, but maybe it’ll be next year. 2016 will be the year of the ARM laptop."
-- Linus Torvalds
>>
I haven't seen one yet, but they will be coming soon
>>
There are phones that have 4gb of ram already and the architecture on the snapdragon 830 will support upto 8gb of ram
>>
Raspberry pi laptop
Pi top
>>
>>51751949
Not 64 bit, only 1 GB RAM
>>
>>51751742
There are only Chromebooks so far. I have a Chromebook Flip and it's really nice but I think for ARM to go mainstream - Windows will have to be compiled for it
>inb4 botnet
I know it's shit but ARM needs a big company like Microshit to take notice of it
>>
>>51753702
Already happened, nobody cared because it couldn't run x86 software.
>>
>>51753721
Well that, AND Microsoft stipulated in the contracts with manufacturers that the bootloader be locked down with SecureBoot and no way to turn it off...

Like on the Asus VivoTabs
>>
>>51753721
That's the fucking point you dumbass
ARM can't run x86 software because it's x86 software and has to be compiled for ARM

You made my point for me
>>
>>51753754
(meaning you couldn't wipe Windows off it and install a real OS, like Linux)
>>
>>51753759
There are already plenty of Linux distros that you can download pre-compiled for ARM.

The locked-down BIOS/bootloader was the problem with that hardware... You couldn't install Linux on it because of that, even though Linux was already available pre-compiled for the architecture.
>>
>>51753759
Yeah. There was no confusion about that, your words were
>for ARM to go mainstream - Windows will have to be compiled for it
I was merely telling you it already happened.

Cunt.
>>
>>51753759
>reading comprehension
>>
Cortex A72 is going to be one bad ass thing. if only nigger tier chink companies would make their hardware less locked down it could really be the year of the ARM laptop.
>>
>>51751742
u w0t m8
>>
 poop 
>>
>>51753802
>>51753788
Please show me where Microsoft has made Windows available for ARM processors
>>51753783
The Arch Linux ARM is pretty good but it takes a lot of post install stuff, which is fine but for ARM to go mainstream with normies - the post install should be practically nothing
>>
>>51753848
Very well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/windows-10-for-iot/

Come on, lets hear your damage control.
>>
Windows NT has had ARM versions for a while now, it's not like it's a secret or something.
>>
>>51753880
>windows iot
doesn't count faggot
>windows rt
never seen a manufacturer use it

>>lets hear your damage control
:^)
>>
whats wrong with x86?
>>
File: Asus-VivoTab-RT-Review-001-box.jpg (202 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Asus-VivoTab-RT-Review-001-box.jpg
202 KB, 1600x1200
>>51753955
>never seen a manufacturer use it
"hurr durr i'm ignorant"
>never heard of ASUS
>>
>>51753955
Like I said, people weren't interested in Windows on ARM.
So to recap, you were WRONG that Windows was needed to make ARM popular and you were WRONG for thinking that Windows on ARM didn't already exist. No need to fight it.
>>
File: windows10iot.png (40 KB, 1317x741) Image search: [Google]
windows10iot.png
40 KB, 1317x741
>>51753955
>windows iot doesn't count
Windows 10
ARM version
>doesn't count

topkek.

http://ms-iot.github.io/content/en-US/win10/SetupRPI.htm
>>
>>51753848
>what is embedded windows
>>
File: 1448883624002.jpg (42 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
1448883624002.jpg
42 KB, 604x604
>ARM
>Laptop
Those things don't belong together family
>>
>>51753958
Nothing. OP is just an ARM shill pretending laptop manufacturers won't make $100-$200 Atom based laptops. The cherry trail Z8500 Atom is only $27. I think $100 chink tablets are already using it.
>>
Why does anyone care about x86 software?
>>
>>51753759
That's well and all anon, we all are informed enough to understand that, but your average guy will still wonder why he can't run GTA 5 on his 50$ ARM Chromebook, and defame it for not being able to.
For your average guy, ARM is a body part and i386 is a gibberish
>>
Every CPU is an ARM CPU these days. Intel CPUs use RISC at the transistor level, CISC at the assembly/machine code level.
>>
>>51756222
The trips of truth have spoken.

What really matters is that the CPU in question can run both ARM and x86 software. But more importantly x86 software.
>>
>>51754694
Because some of us want to do things other than play angry birds and used a crippled version of photoshop.
>>
>>51753955
Are you literally retarded or never heard of a Surface Pro RT?
>>
ARM is dead since Microsoft has already stopped supporting it.
>>
>>51756417
pretty much this. Also all ARM chips are weak pieces of shit compared to your modern desktop i3.
>>
>>51756222
arm and risc don't mean the same thing
>>
I wouldn't use the word "dead" for something that's in everything from literal toasters to basically every phone sold on the planet. ARM is doing absolutely fantastic, thank you very much.

>>51756222
Trips of truth. Specifically, the µop level - the instruction decoder of essentially every single major CISC chip since the Pentium Pro has decoded CISC instructions to internal RISC ones for scheduling, although very few chips give you actual access to the µops or the instruction decoder/optimiser (I think the Transmeta Crusoe did it far more openly!).

>>51756532
I've got a 16-core Cortex-A72 processor testbed here. It absolutely slays the i3s in every way, but it also generates a comparable amount of heat. But if you put it against Intel's high-end equivalent, like the Xeons, or the i7s, Intel consistently win in single-threaded performance, and AVX2 is better than the SIMD (NEON) available in AArch64.

I wouldn't bet that ARM couldn't catch up if it wanted to - it's just that desktop computers, and notebooks, are one of the few areas that ARM doesn't dominate - and a large part of that is the compelling existing software ecosystem.

I agree with >>51756417 in that because of that, regardless of performance, AArch64 is not likely to be a particularly compelling PC architecture in the near-term compared to x86-64 - unless it were to get enough of a lead to emulate x86-64, which is probably unlikely! MS tried it with the RT and that project is died with Windows 8's dignity.
>>
>>51753955
MS really screwed up with WinRT.

If it allowed desktop applications, it might have taken off, especially since many normal Windows programs could just be a simple recompile away from working. It might have rocked the Wintel boat though, and would have probably been seen to take sales away from the Pro. But I still think it could have been a real force.

No one bought the Surface because no one made Metro apps, and no one made Metro apps because Metro was kind of retarded and already had a stigma from it being seen on the desktop in Win8.
>>
>>51751742
I would gladly buy one as well if it'd get popular. ARM linux netbook, or even tablet with proper keyboard attachment - all of this with good accelerated x11 driver and functional android sdk. I want nothing more.
>>
>>51751742
i want an arm laptop with like 200 cores, and a pci-express external adapter for my video cards.
>>
>>51753721
no it was because applications had to be signed by MS

IIRC chrome never even got approved
>>
>>51756165
>i386 is a gibberish
It is gibberish though, you should be on AMD64 by now.
>>
>>51754694
Because it makes up 99% of all PC software.
>>
>>51756222
ARM is a specific architecture you fucking idiot.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.