[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people pretend to like AMD?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: amd.png (45 KB, 2000x770) Image search: [Google]
amd.png
45 KB, 2000x770
Why do people pretend to like AMD?
>>
go on
>>
I pretend to like AMD because I do.

Shit just werks. also 3/10, made me reply.
>>
They make competitive GPUs at good prices, and have been pretty consumer friendly because of their position in the market.

I just hope Zen is good enough to give Intel real competition again.
>>
>>51749239
why do people pretend to like you?
>>
If amd wasn't here to lower the general price of cards, because competition would have not exists, nvidia would have already raise the price of their cards by 20% at least I suppose. Same for Intel with the low cost cpus of amd
>>
>>51749239
Performance/price is usually better.
>>
Their CPUs and GPUs are sturdy as fuck. Just werks
>>
>>51749496
but they do like me anon, my fat dick in your mouth makes all the boys come by.
>>
I'm still on an i7 930 that still handles everything I throw at it after 4 years.
I really want Zen to be good, I'm ready to hop off this wild ride.
>>
>>51749239

I like AMD because they've been a tremendous value and they simply deliver. Intel engages in a ton of wildly confusing "marketing segmentation" moves. It starts with trying to dump binned processors, but then it becomes an active attempt to confuse the consumer.

For example, in the Core2Duo days, they had one variant with no VT-x support. You had to dig and dig to find that. You thought you were getting a Core2Duo with features associated with the line, but nope, turns out you get a hobbled one just because they wanted to cover OEMs desire for a specific market $10 lower than the next one.
>>
>>51749239
because my 6300 just werks, does video render at decent speed while shitposting.
>>
Nvidia/Intel user here.

If AMD's retroactive recording software (Nvidia's Shadowplay) could record in 21:9, I would use an AMD GPU.

Until then, Nvidia has my money.

Intel CPU is better suited for my job anyway.
>>
>>51749239
memers
>>
>>51749239
Because they prevent nVidia from being full jew.

They are not the competition we need, but the one we deserve.
>>
>>51749239
Lesser of two evils
>>
maybe the feel bad for them.
or it's just basic 4chan contrarianism.
>>
File: speccy yo v2.png (45 KB, 903x579) Image search: [Google]
speccy yo v2.png
45 KB, 903x579
>pretend
>>
I don't pretend. They offer good enough performance at a great price. It does what I need.
>>
Because we need competition if we want to keep prices on a reasonable level. If AMD were to go bankrupt and NVidia got a monopoly on GPUs, they could pull whatever the fuck they wanted as there's no other option for people anyway. We'd see shit like $500 GTX 970s.
Same with CPUs, Intel hasn't had to make significant performance improvements and yet they can keep raising prices because AMD can't compete in the high-end segment right now anyway. Consumers that want that amount of CPU power simply have no other option.
>>
>>51752927
i'm jelly of your 290x silicon lottery win.
>>
>>51752980

Its not a win, its a loss. That voltage translates to a +180mv offset which really means I should have it under water.
>>
>>51752927
>tfw my 290 can do 1150/1500 on +30mv
Vapor-X a best
>>
>>51753003

I forget if the vapor-x 290 comes with an offset at stock, I know the vapor-x 290x runs at something like +30mv to hit the 1080 base clock (same for the msi lightning).
>>
>>51752993
nah man, that's not a loss at all. alone to able to get that clock speed regardless of voltage is pretty good for a 290x. i can't get my tri-x over 1150 on air. just not happening without melting the whole pcb.
>>
>>51753020
It translates to 1.133v total.
>>
File: 290x raijintek.jpg (115 KB, 800x592) Image search: [Google]
290x raijintek.jpg
115 KB, 800x592
>>51753024

Does your 290x look like this though? Ironically this used to be a tri-x and would hit 1200mhz but the temperatures were housefire tier.

I actually tried to refit the tri-x cooler yesterday and found out the screw cylinders (for want of a better term) that hold the heatsink to the gpu core had actually cracked and won't hold the screw, thus rendering the opriginal cooler completely useless. For laughs I might have up the fan shroud to fit onto this monster heatsink just because.
>>
>>51753052
i've been looking around for better air coolers but seems like none are an improvement over the tri-x heatsink. i re-seated it and applied new paste wich made it way better. is your aftermarket heatsink really better than stock? wich one is it?
>>
>>51753093
Looks like a Raijintek Morpheus to me. Thing's massive.
>>
File: 290x temperature vs power draw.gif (26 KB, 537x781) Image search: [Google]
290x temperature vs power draw.gif
26 KB, 537x781
>>51753093

This anon is right >>51753103

The key thing for the morpheus is good fans. I have two SP120's on there for now but i'm looking to replace them with some of those vardar fans from EK.

This is what the morpheus does with the fans at 7v (i.e silent).
>>
>>51753137
do you have a pic with an overclock? or would you like to replicate my settings, yo i can compare? that would be super nice. i'm running +19mv 1100/1400 as my standard daily setting
>>
File: 290x stress test 2.png (542 KB, 1811x965) Image search: [Google]
290x stress test 2.png
542 KB, 1811x965
>>51753174

Try this picture on for size - the far right number is the maximum.

Ignore the actual fps result - I cranked everything I could to max to torture the card.
>>
>>51753212
woah okay, that's very respectable for air. so would you say the morpheus was the right choice or would you have rather gone with slapping an aio onto it in hindsight?
>>
>>51752978
this
>>
File: 1410749862811.jpg (1 MB, 1845x1923) Image search: [Google]
1410749862811.jpg
1 MB, 1845x1923
because i'm not a good goy
>>
All this people having a good overclock on their 290(x) and I have to be happy with 80 degrees C on stock speeds with my Gigabyte Windforce 290. Can't even replace the fucking thermal paste because 1 single screw is stuck.
>>
because my two r9 290xes let me generate about 3000M tripcodes a seccond
>>
>>51753236

AIO's don't cool the vrms which are just as important as the core (i.e you still have to air cool the vrms).

I prefer the morpheus as it is less hassle than something like G10 hybrid cooler thingy simply because you have more options for fans.
>>
>>51753324
you can often undervolt a card at stock speeds since they just apply a safe value wich should work for all chips. yours could be able to run with less.
>>
>>51753363
yeah okay. i gathered a few things online wich i would need to do aio properly. i'd have to order from 5 different shops, 3 different countries and pay around 120€ to have all the proper parts. it really is a hassle.
>>
>>51753376

Hmm I never thought of that. Will try that one day, probably when summer comes and it will hit the 95 degree mark yet again.
There's one thing I can't wrap my head around really. I removed every single screw except for the stuck one, but my temps didn't change when I put it back in. Shouldn't it at least run hotter than before?
>>
>>51753445
Assuming you didn't pull the cooler loose, you should be fine.
>>
They dont use cheap, illegal, underhanded businesses practices like intel does. They are actually constantly working to improve for you, the consumer, and most people shit on them for it.

On the other hand, intel actively works to holf advancement back for thr sake of profit.

I try not to support the greedier of two parties in any event.
>>
>>51753455

I didn't really try to pull or twist it, but I did run furmark to heat up the card so it would be easier to get the cooler of. I didn't account for that goddamn screw though.
>>
>>51753482

This indeed. If Intel can save 1 dollar on making your CPU like changing the TIM to shit-tier quality, or making the membrane underneith the chip less thick and thus causing bendgate 2 they fucking will.
>>
>>51749239
Cause they own one.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.