[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will/Is the steam machine a good alternative for gaming? I would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: gspyvk6puhn4ibeozkft[1].jpg (85 KB, 1020x562) Image search: [Google]
gspyvk6puhn4ibeozkft[1].jpg
85 KB, 1020x562
Will/Is the steam machine a good alternative for gaming?
I would rather run a Linux system proper (freedom), but I still enjoy playing games.
>>
>>51747772
Yes. Don't support the console industry when Steam machines are an option. Consoles are just locked down personal computers with proprietary everything. Who wants to deal with game discs anyways? Also, cloud save files are legit.
>>
why would you run an operating system that literally only limits the games you can play, forces you to use steam, and offers none of the benefits of just using windows?

fuck off back to /r/pcmasterrace where everyone will jerk off to valve
>>
>>51748220
>Implying steam machines are not exactly the same thing as a console

>>51747772
Just get a PC and hook it to your tv. Use a wireless keyboard/mouse/controller. You'll get something way better than a steam machine.
>>
>>51748375
>>Implying steam machines are not exactly the same thing as a console
They're not. Are you fucking stupid? I'd like to see you install a torrent client, a web server, or a video editor on your xbone
>>
They seem like a good trade off between those who don't want to invest loads into a GAYMING PC and don't actually use PCs (rather use laptops)
>>
>>51748418
Why the fuck would I do that when I already have a desktop?
>>
>>51748375
>>51748645
>>51748552

Do you guys not realize it's just an ITX desktop? The only difference is the OS, which you can stick on nearly any other PC. Or, stick windows on the steam machine itself and just have a tiny windows PC.
>>
>>51748645
You wouldn't because it's not possible. The point is that Steam machines are literally desktops and not consoles like you suggested.
>>
>>51748645
you just proved his point you idiot
>>
I think steam machines would be a good alternative in the long term, they still arent worth it

Maybe when steam os gets more games and best optimization
>>
I have to admit that steamboxes are tempting to me because I don't have a desk or a monitor (just my laptop) and it's the first hint of decent non-Windows desktop gaming we've seen. Literally the only reason I haven't build a gaming desktop is because I'd have to run Windows to make proper use of it, and that's a galaxy-class crock of shit.
>>
>>51749452
The more popular SteamOS becomes, the more all the game developers will hop on board. Once it starts to get exclusive titles the console and Windows game market is dead.
>>
>>51747772
Honestly Just stick with Linux. There are plenty of games in the form of emulators, Wine-compatible software and PlayonLinux, so unless you're planning on playing Skyrim or some shit, I would just stick to that
>>
>>51747772
>steam
>freedom

Lmfao senpai
>>
>>51751179
I think it's keep laptop free and have the botnet contained in it's own box.
>>
>>51747772

As much as I love Steam and want to support it, I just can't see the point of it yet.

I'm building my first PC since 2000 for gaming/htpc. I can't BELIEVE how easy it is now compared to back then (even then, wasn't that hard). I had limitless options to cut costs when I ordered on Cyber Monday (can reuse this HD, can wait to upgrade RAM, etc) with limitless options to future upgrade. This machine will play entire Steam library where steam machine will play only some of them.

I just can't see the reason yet to buy one; even though I WANT it to succeed. Unlike most of you faggots, I don't care about what's best. Just want more competition to force companies to drive down prices/improve quality.
>>
>>51747772
Freedom? What a faggot. As long as you are using SteamOS, you still have massive DRM and loads of proprietary software you fuck around with. That is not freedom my friend.
>>
File: beautiful 234234234.jpg (27 KB, 285x325) Image search: [Google]
beautiful 234234234.jpg
27 KB, 285x325
>gaming on linux
>drm on linux
>wanting a pc in the living room
>buying additional hardware instead of using the computer you already own
>buying a console that has no exclusives
>>
>>51751156
You know SteamOS isn't locked to Steam right? You can still use emulators, play games from GoG, and set up Wine. It just has a nice interface for use from the couch and the proprietary drivers preinstalled.
>>
>>51753430
to access emulators you have to enter the desktop mode, which is just your average linux distro. so why would i buy a steam machine instead of a proper mid tower pc with dual boot and the steam client for windows?
>>
>>51753618
Only to install them, once that's done you add them as third party applications in Steam and set it back to big picture.

Steam Machines aren't really intended as an alternative to a desktop system, fighting Windows head on is still too difficult. That's why Steam Machines are aimed at the console market, its a softer target. Steam Machines are Valve's concept of what the Xbox should have been.
>>
ayylmaoware alpha is actually a pretty good pc for what it is: an extremely tiny pc with fair gaming capability. and it's windows

steam on linux isn't worth it yet
>>
>>51747772
>freedom
>Steam
>>
>>51751156
skyrim runs fine with wine/pol
>>
Valve seems to have it in their head that everyone is dying to play PC games with a controller on a couch. If you are one of these people get a Steam machine, otherwise just install something like Mint or any other distro that gives you positive vibes on your desktop.
>>
>>51747772
Alternative for gaming over consoles? Only if you don't care about console exclusives. Also,
>Steam
>Freedom
>>
>>51752417
>linux
>no exclusives
pls, what about Tux Racer?
>>
>>51748220
Steam machines are just consoles with consumer available parts
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.