[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
programming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
should i learn javascript then c# then c++ or should i learn python? (pic not related)
>>
Just learn Swift for everything
>>
>>51746822

Depends what you want to do. Whats your aim?

If it just for shits'n'giggles, from that list I would go python, c#, c++. Dont bother with javascript, it'll rot your brain.

But really I'd recommend c, python, c#, c++
>>
>>51747131
so c would be a good start then python?
>>
>>51747131
I'd say learn javascript but learn it later. It gets to a point where you can learn a language in a night, I learned LUA in about 4 hours last week.
>>
>>51747261
Perfect, after that start learning about the concepts of object oriented programming and maybe try some c# out or c++ (probably going to be suggested way more than c#).
>>
If you learn C first, you're more likely to get concepts like memory management. It's more difficult sure, but you take the pain now and have an easier time later.

The thing about really high level, extremely abstracted languages is that they make programming easier. This may not necessarily be a good thing for new programmers.

I'd say C -> touch C++ -> C# or Java -> JavaScript
After that you can learn a few hipster languages, but it's unlikely you'll care since by that stage you'll be able to develop C# or Java code that's just as neat as someone with half the experience programming in hipster languages. That's really their only advantage, neat code without too much skill.
>>
>>51747261

Yes if you actually intend to become a professional programmer, learning c will stand you in good stead no matter what other languages you eventually learn.
>>
>>51747280
>I'd say learn javascript but learn it later.

I'd say only learn it if you need the job. Its a poxy language.

>It gets to a point where you can learn a language in a night, I learned LUA in about 4 hours last week.

True, once you've got a few years, its just another language. But then the language aint the problem, it s all the associated api's etc that take the time.
>>
>>51747351
The thing about JavaScript is that a lot of employers won't hire you unless you have a website, FOSS works and an internship, and you can't develop an impressive website without JavaScript.

Then again, if OP fits some sort of quota OP only needs a degree. Such is life in the industry most targeted by SJW.
>>
thanks all 4 ur opinions i will start at C and go on from there
>>
>>51747463
>The thing about JavaScript is that a lot of employers won't hire you unless you have a website, FOSS works and an internship, and you can't develop an impressive website without JavaScript.

Wow, things have changed. I've been a professional programmer for 25years and no one has ever asked me for that stuff. But then I only go for engineering/defence/medical type software jobs so maybe that has something to do with it.

>Then again, if OP fits some sort of quota OP only needs a degree. Such is life in the industry most targeted by SJW.

You mean the web dev industry?
>>
>>51747261
try berkeley's cs61a. its all webcasted.
good luck anon
>>
File: trash man hacking.jpg (215 KB, 1920x824) Image search: [Google]
trash man hacking.jpg
215 KB, 1920x824
>>51746822
Start with C. If you cannot learn it then you do not have what it takes to program.
>>
>>51747280
Learn Haskell or an ML in a night, I fucking dare you, cunt.
>>
There is no "learning languages". You learn paradigms, and the languages come naturally after that.
>>
whats more important, learning OOP concepts or a specific language
>>
>>51750196
concepts are way more important than the language itself when learning to program. You can give anyone a wench but they won't know what to do with it unless you teach them the basics of using the wench. You naturally learn the language you are using to learn the concepts.
>>
>>51746822

1) Python
2) C# or Java for employment
3) C for fundamental understanding
4) Whatever else. This includes Javascript, which is a somewhat hideous language that, IMO, is not great for beginners. Understanding how to use it well probably requires that you learn some other things first, otherwise you'll be doing a bunch of cargo-cult BS copying others without understanding why and never improving.

C++ is not on the list because, as a C++ programmer, I consider it a dead language. The exceptions being trading platforms, games, and a few other high-performance applications, but most of those "high-performance" applications are kidding themselves and the industries just haven't actually learned to use other languages properly.
>>
>>51750196

Neither. Thoroughly understanding a platform is more important than syntax or specific language methodologies.

OOP isn't terrible, and OOP isn't great. It's just another way to structure software. Sometimes it makes sense, sometimes it doesn't.

You want to learn OOP?

1) Encapsulation. Data and the methods manipulating that data are kept in the same class.

2) Access restrictions. Some methods and data are public, others are protected (i.e. can be accessed by a child class), others are private (i.e. can only be accessed by the class in which they're declared).

3) Polymorphism. A virtual function call does a lookup in the virtual function table. This magic means that BaseClass::OnSomeEvent() can be overridden by ChildClass::OnSomeEvent(). Existing code that had a reference to a BaseClass can now be passed a reference to ChildClass and ChildClass's OnSomeEvent will be called automagically.

4) RTTI which allows you to discover and describe types at runtime. This can be a fantastic thing, or completely useless since most C++ stuff has it turned off by default. It allows for some slick magic relating to streams.

So, there you go, you just learned OOP. If you can actually wrap your head around #3 you'll be ahead of 90% of self-proclaimed OOP C++, Java, and C# programmers.
>>
>>51750150
God, you sound like such a cunt.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.