[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what encoder/settings do you use?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: 1305422425579.jpg (12 KB, 251x238) Image search: [Google]
1305422425579.jpg
12 KB, 251x238
What encoder do you guys use on a regular basis for audio? I'm using FLAC for archival or creation of new files and was using AAC @ 128kbps for my phone audio. But have since switched to a different platform and find MP3 more compatible with my phone (Moto G2015, AAC was working just every once in a while it would skip). Now I'm at V2 MP3.

I have a 32gb card in it so storage isn't a big deal, only have like 1000 songs on here at any given time. I'm finding the MP3 files have a slightly more defined bass section but it could be in my head.

So what you guys use?
>>
File: 1342099627151.jpg (40 KB, 329x356) Image search: [Google]
1342099627151.jpg
40 KB, 329x356
>using MP3 in 2015
I use 128 vbr Opus with a complexity of 10. It sounds better than AAC and MP3 at the same bitrate imho.a
>>
File: mental illness.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
mental illness.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>51745700
>implying there's any discernable difference
>>
>MP3
The 90's called, it wants its audio codec back.
>>
Yeah I been looking to use OPUS but poweramp doesn't support it for some reason. I had a player that did but I forget which it was. Maybe AIMP. I been meaning to do some research on it.

I had Vorbis files on here but I had a similar problem with lag.
>>
>>51745741
At 128 vbr, MP3 clearly sounds like dogshit. AAC sounds "smothered" at 128 vbr when compared to 128 vbr Opus.

Don't take my word for it though, you can do ABX tests on foobar2k to confirm.
>>
I use 240kbit vbr opus

>>51745783
poweramp doesn't support it because the dev literally doesn't give a shit, people have wanted it for years
only players worth using are GMMP and AIMP
>>
AAC 128kbps just werks for me on my phone. (HTC One M8).
>>
>>51745783
MX Player fully supports Opus playback in HW or SW mode. That's what I use to listen to music.
>>
You can just use foobar2000, there's an encoder pack that'll give you everything you need.
>>
>>51745858
I'll check into it. I need a new player anyway, poweramp has some stupid bugs that drive me nuts anyway.
>>
>>51745892
You should know though, mx player is a video player so it will lack things like an audio equalizer. I've never used an equalizer for music anyway so it doesn't really bother me.
>>
Yeah just checked that one out. I think I may go back to AIMP. It's simple and kind of has a foobar feel to it. These days, simple software is so hard to come by.
>>
oggenc -q 7
>>
>>51745831
What kind of setup do you have? For me at least I have a mid range pair of Audio Technicas and a schiit stack. I listen to FLAC/ALAC when possible, sometimes as low as 256kbit MP3 when downloading weebshit from Soundcloud.

Mobile, which is the only reason you'd use a lossy format for space saving reasons - you probably won't even be able to enjoy fully even, since you will likely be using earbuds. Do you have a real hifi set of earbuds? I'm not trying to shit on you - I'm just curious.
>>
>>51746056
>What kind of setup do you have? For me at least I have a mid range pair of Audio Technicas and a schiit stack. I listen to FLAC/ALAC when possible, sometimes as low as 256kbit MP3 when downloading weebshit from Soundcloud.
Just a pair of skullcandy earbuds. Yeah I know, not the best equipment for enjoying music but it's all I got for now.

>Mobile, which is the only reason you'd use a lossy format for space saving reasons - you probably won't even be able to enjoy fully even, since you will likely be using earbuds. Do you have a real hifi set of earbuds? I'm not trying to shit on you - I'm just curious.
Nah, though I might buy a pair of ATH-M30X soon.

You're underestimating how efficient lossy encoders are. 192 vbr Opus sounds literally the same compared to FLAC. I just use 128 vbr because I bombed all my ABX tests at that bitrate, lol.
>>
>>51746056
You do know FLAC is a placebo right?
>>
Holy crap. Just realized AIMP uses a shit ton less ram. Poweramp was hitting like 150mb and AIMP is about 20mb.

I'll try ripping an album to OPUS at 128 or so tomorrow night. I'm off to bed ugh
>>
>>51746179
If you are looking for an economical pair try the ATH-AD900X ($149) that was my first pair, open back.

I've also tried my old man's AKG Q701, probably a tad better than the AD900x, but a bit more expensive ($169)

>>51746273
I don't know, I can't really tell the difference between 320 and FLAC. If you think too hard the mind has a way of making shit up. But by principle I like having a 1:1 rip of the CD. It's better practice for archiving music.
>>
>>51746328
>If you are looking for an economical pair try the ATH-AD900X ($149) that was my first pair, open back.
>I've also tried my old man's AKG Q701, probably a tad better than the AD900x, but a bit more expensive ($169)
Oh nah man. I can't afford to spend that much right now. A good pair of M30X is the best I can do for now. Might buy something better after those though. Still, thanks for the recommendations, I'll keep them in mind after I look to upgrade beyond the M30X headphones.
>>
>>51745574
Opus on all lossy encodes, FLAC on lossless. Anything else is pure shit.
>>
>>51746328
You don't need FLAC though. A good opus rip of music (160-192k) is more than enough to listen to music with no perceptible audible artifacts. FLAC just takes up more space with no audible improvement.

That being said though you can still use FLAC if it makes you sleep better at night. Just don't ever be that anon that claims FLACs sound better than high bitrate lossy encoded music.
>>
>>51746511
Opus is designed for network transmission. lol you hipster ignoramuses make me glad this isn't real life
>>
>>51746511
What's wrong with .APE? It compresses music better than FLAC.
>>
>>51746546
>I don't know how audio compression works
>>
>>51746546
It's a general purpose audio codec. It just happens to be good at network transmission.
>>
>>51746548
Shit licensing.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.