[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Been toying with Linux a bit lately, and the latest forced Win10
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: ubuntu vs linux mint.png (80 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu vs linux mint.png
80 KB, 640x400
Been toying with Linux a bit lately, and the latest forced Win10 update bullshit has convinced me to make the jump and banish Windows to a virtual machine for the rare occasion I need it.

I'm currently trying to decide between Ubuntu and Mint (Cinnamon version). Aside from the obvious UI differences, what's /g/'s opinion on them? What are they like to use long-term, in terms of updates, stability, package selection, just-werks, etc.? I already know about Ubuntu's Amazon crap and Mint's search engine crap and how easy both are to disable.

I'm not completely tech-illiterate, but I don't know that much about Linux and I'm not really interested in making it a hobby, so I'm mostly looking for as smooth and hassle-free an experience as possible.
>install gentoo
No.
>>
They're the least free distros that exist. Better than windows, at least
>>
>>51744232
both are fine, both operate like a windows box, you will be fine either way. Install gentoo
>>
It depends if your favorite colour is red or green desu senpai.
>>
get mint or xubuntu
they just werk and you can always change later
>>
Both are fine. You should know that Mint is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. In other words, finding help for either of them should be a breeze. Good luck. :^)
>>
>>51744293
>>51744318
>>51744426
>>51744484
Thanks. So not really much practical difference, then?

I thought Mint might suffer in hardware compatibility since it's based on an older Ubuntu release with an older kernel, but I haven't seen any issues so far, so I guess I'm overthinking it.
>>
>>51744582
I'd say that you are. Really, unless you have some special or super old/new hardware, you should be fine.
>>
Consider Elementary OS if you want a different experiece. I'm new to Linux and I'm really liking it so far.
>>
>>51745024
this

I've been using ubuntu before it was mainstream (2006?)
then switched to debian, then back to ubuntu and now I'm using elementayOS, it does feel different and smoother than the previous distros I've used.

I don't get why lots of fa/g/g/ots in here hate it so much, it werks great for watching anime and furry shit they like.
>>
Just fucking install Fedora.
You don't regret it.
Fucking install it you cunt.
You're fucking welcome.
>>
>>51746701
Fedora is a hipster distro, full of bugs.

Stop shilling Redhat's shit-tier distro.
>>
>>51744232
I lost count of all posts on /flt/ about noobs crying over something their Mint install broke.

Get Xubuntu.
>>
Debian, Xubuntu, Ubuntu-MATE, Mint, and openSUSE have all ran flawlessly for me. Only distro I've had teething problems with is Antergos, and since that's based on Arch it's no real surprise
>>
>>51746963
Hm. What kind of things does it break? Applications? Drivers?
>>
>>51744232
There's a containment thread for your kind, search for /flt/ next time.

>>51744426
Do this.

>>51745024
Don't do this.

>>51746701
Definitely don't do this.
>>
>>51744232
I prefer Ubuntu over mint simply because of the lower resource use
>>
>>51747308
i dont know about resources but ubuntu really is completely fine as a first distro. im using it now coming from arch and it has been pleasant. i also installed linux for my moms laptop; mint, opensuse, arch, all of them had a shitload of problems that those fuckers would call me down to fix. i said fuck it and installed ubuntu and haven't had an issue yet
>>
>>51747037
antergos and manjaro have nothing to do with arch other than being based off it. their flaws are their own old man
>>
>>51744232
I would recommend Xubuntu. It's essentially Ubuntu, but with a much lighter desktop environment (xfce instead of unity).

Though if you have to choose between Ubuntu and Mint, I would say Mint.
>>
They are pretty similar, the current version of Linux Mint being based on Ubuntu 14.04. So if you have any problems, generally Ubuntu and Linux Mint will have the same solutions. I currently use Linux Mint and haven't had any serious issues. My only concern will be what is going to happen for the next major release of Linux Mint because they likely won't base it on Ubuntu anymore (because they are against SystemD).
>>
OP here. Seems Mint has made the decision easy for me. Pic related after waking from sleep. Oh well. Ubuntu seems to work fine so I guess that's what I'll use, at least for now.
>>
Why not just try Debian and have a phone or tablet ready to help google things that need fixing?
>>
Go opensuse
>>
What's better: crunchbang ++ or bunsenlabs?
>>
>>51744255
Least free distros:
-Zorin
-SteamOS
-Mint
>>
File: 1304376955947.png (457 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1304376955947.png
457 KB, 600x450
>>51745024
>Recommending the memeOS

>>51746650
>I've been using ubuntu before it was mainstream
Hipster faggot
>>51747205
Almsot every distro will break unless you are really careful. For stability you can use debian stable but most of the softwares you know of will not work.
Pick Xubuntu or Ubuntu MATE/GNOME
>>51749354
Debian
>>51748686
AYY
>>
>>51748686
What video card do you have? Instead of skipping to the next distribution where the same issue might occur, check to make sure you have proprietary drivers installed. They're generally more reliable for newer hardware.
>>
I'd say use Ubuntu. The default ui has a big of a learning curve especially if you are coming from Windows. The main reason I recommend Ubuntu is for software and community support. It's also a good first step into the linux world.
>>
>>51749988
AMD HD6850M laptop card. I was using fglrx. Same setup has no problems in Ubuntu, at least so far.
>>
>>51744232
Get ubuntu anon, much friendlier and it's capable of more things than mint is.
>>
Those shiny logos are gross af

Material design isn't that bad actually
>>
>>51744232
install Ubuntu and fuck off.
>>
Im on win10 1511 and even after changing the windows update registry value to notify before download and install, the update window dialog says the policy is changed (red letters stating "controlled by x") yet when I click chexk for updatea it STILL downloads and installs them. What the fuck.
>>
>>51752009
You agreed to it, if it bothers you stop using Windows
>>
Mint is shit. It's basically ubuntu with "mintified" packages. There's only reasons to use mint:
>you fancy the cinnamon desktop
>you have jews, like the main developer

otherwise mint offers nothing that justifies using it. what you want is an official ubuntu flavour, that follow the official ubuntu release schedule & doesn't fuck around with packages (too much).

>xfce or mate
if you miss the feeling of good ol'l win7, then this is what you want

>unity (ubuntu vanilla) or gnome
if you think win8 interface was the tits

>kde
if you're a hipster who think crApple looks nice
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.