[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Windows 10
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: 1447707969255.jpg (205 KB, 600x1414) Image search: [Google]
1447707969255.jpg
205 KB, 600x1414
So Windows 10 just removed Speccy from my PC because 'it is no longer supported on your version of Windows'.

I thought /g/ was memeing, but Windows really is uninstalling shit from my PC. What the fuck do they even think they're doing?
>>
You gave them permission.
>>
if you still use windows you just don't belong /g/

you're on your fucking own, we've warned you for YEARS
>>
>>51743049
There's a new approved speccy that works with Win 10, but yeah Microsoft gets to remove programs and security features when they feel like it.
>>
>letting your own computer make you its bitch

how beta can one man possibly be?
>>
>>51743404
this

/thread
>>
File: 2015-12-07_18-38-47.png (80 KB, 688x536) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-07_18-38-47.png
80 KB, 688x536
It was a bug. Is already fixed. Move on.
>>
>>51743404
ayy lmao sysadminbro
>>
>>51744651
>speccy bug cause microsoft windows to delete it
>speccy update fixed windows

>>51743462
>There's a new approved speccy
>approved speccy

holy shit meme overload Im done
>>
>>51745350
>speccy bug cause microsoft windows to delete it
So hard to believe? Windows upgrades to a new version of the OS, and automatically detects which software ins't compatible with the new version. This has happened since Windows XP. Piriform made a mistake when they made Speccy, which made the automatic upgrade process to delete Speccy by an incompatibility.

Yes, it was Piriform's fault, because Microsoft gives developers guidelines about how to make software for Windows. That's why the issue only affected Piriform programs and other hardware related software (like drivers).

Piriform didn't fixed Windows, they fixed Speccy.
>>
>not using as many portable versions of software that you can
plus your registry doesn't get nearly as cluttered this way.
>>
>>51743049
Whatever the fuck they want.
Welcome to Windows 10.
Enjoy not owning your own PC anymore.
>>
>>51745438
anyone can make software, software like speccy wouldnt crash windows.. it either just werks or doesnt work.

windows crosses the line when they start deleting stuff automatically.
>>
>>51745726
>anyone can make software
That's not the issue here.

>software like speccy wouldnt crash windows
No, it wouldn't.

>windows crosses the line when they start deleting stuff automatically.
Windows has always crossed that line, then. Oh wait, Linux and OSX does that too.

When you UPGRADE the operating system, there are things that can't be carried away, like... for example, drivers. Because incompatibility issues. The OSes usually must delete these things because keeping them would compromise the stability of the system.

Ok, now that I explained it to you why an OS has to delete an specific software when it upgrades, what this has to do with Speccy? Speccy is not a driver, or course, it shouldn't be deleted, then why? Well... first, Windows doesn't know what speccy does, it's just a program, and Windows uses certain information to decide if it should be deleted by an incompatibility issue. It's an automatic process, and that process decided to uninstall Speccy because how it was installed in first place (Registry entries, environmental variables, folder location, etc). This is, actually, Piriform's fault because they made a mistake with the Speccy installation process. Now, they fixed that issue and the program should pass the verification process.

Again, it's Piriform's fault.
>>
>>51745726
>directly accesses hardware to read hw ids and needs admin privileges to do so
>wouldnt crash windows

This is why I ignore the vast majority of retards on /g/.

It's a fucking Windows upgrade, not an update, or did you miss the memo about this being the "last version" of Windows?
>>
Install gentoo
>>
>>51743049
So, is this part of the Win 10 privacy stuff that people were worried about? Does it actually read the contents of your folders? I have that free update to 10, but I've been holding off since I'm paranoid. Should I just do it?
>>
>>51743049

Hey fuck you OP. Microsoft can use the operating system however the fuck they want. If you want to have control over your computer, get your own OS.
>>
>>51746024
You scared about your CP?
>>
File: 2015-12-07_18-15-23.png.jpg (579 KB, 1307x768) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-07_18-15-23.png.jpg
579 KB, 1307x768
>>51746024
1) Stop being a fucking paranoid.
2) Read this: >>51744651
3) Pic related. Windows doesn't use its telemetry services to send information about the content of your files or folders. There is an indexer since Windows XP, but the info doesn't get uploaded. Read the Privacy Statement of the software you use, and learn what they take from you and how to stop it.
>>
>>51746024
>Does it actually read the contents of your folders?
Where do you idiots even get this retarded idea from?
If you're so worried about that, why not just read the terms of service, you fucking din? It's right there, Microsoft accesses the content of your files/folders that are IN THEIR CLOUD SERVICE (namely outlook and onedrive, possibly other email services as well if you add them to the mail app). Because how the fuck are they going to store your files and folders in the cloud without access to your files and folders?
It does not read the contents of your local folders, nowhere it says they can do that.

It does say windows defender has access to your files. No shit. Every anti-virus does. On every version of windows.

Also, as >>51746305 pointed out, the indexer accesses your files, like it has always done on every version of windows.
>>
>>51746305
>>51746481
Don't you have toilets to worship?
>>
>>51746616
>Le shill meme X3c
>>
>>51746634
Oh...
So may you perhaps be doing it...

For free?
>>
File: paranoid.gif (16 KB, 550x360) Image search: [Google]
paranoid.gif
16 KB, 550x360
>>51746735
>>
Windows was a mistake.
>>
>>51743049
>installing Speccy
Just run the executable, you dumbass.
It's portable.
>>
File: 1437639281365.png (547 KB, 635x640) Image search: [Google]
1437639281365.png
547 KB, 635x640
>>51746955
This, holy shit. You people INSTALL Speccy? What the fuck, do you just feel the need to look at your computer specs every day or something?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.