[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey g, I got an r9 390 and I didn't have enough power connectors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: absolute mad man.jpg (104 KB, 1192x514) Image search: [Google]
absolute mad man.jpg
104 KB, 1192x514
Hey g, I got an r9 390 and I didn't have enough power connectors on my psu to hook it up. It uses a 6 pin and 8 pin.
I only had 2 molex connectors left and needed an 8 pin, so I hooked it up like this.
So I did some burn in tests and it seems to be fine. This is fine right?
It's a no name came with the case powersupply.
>>
>>51742034
oh sorry didn't mention I did already have a 6pin on the powersupply.
>>
>>51742034
I hope this is b8, but if it isn't, get a new PSU ASAP.
My cousin tried this type of shit with a 660Ti and it fried his PSU, he was lucky it didn't take the GPU and/or motherboard with it.
>>
>>51742056
Was he lucky? I haven't heard of anyone frying shit with their psu in the past like the past 8 years or so. I'm pretty sure it's just a /g/ meme.
>>
If it's a 500+ watt PSU I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
>>51742091
If a PSU goes out and sends a big surge of power through all the connected components, you can be sure it'll burn something.
>>
>>51742101
I think it's like 480w or something the only thing was I don't have any idea how the rails are devised, I assume the 6pin is it's own rail and the molex I used are the second 12v rail.
>>51742127
Which is why modern power supplies don't do this.
>>
>>51742135
You don't know how good or bad those noname PSUs are.
>>
>>51742159
This, to a certain extent. Maybe it's just because I'm old and how bad things used to be has ruined my opinion but the words "came free with the case" sends a shiver down my spine.
>>
>>51742101
Each rail has its own maximum wattage output, its on the side of the PSU
>>
>>51742135
>I think it's like 480w or something
New. PSU. ASAP.
>>
>>51742127
This

Just finished up troubleshooting/fixing a catastrophic surge that claimed mobo, gpu, clc pump and of course the psu.
Took forever trying to figure out what went bad and how did this all happen??

>unplugging my headphone 3.5mm from the rear while powered on.

Now I'm scared to remove anything while it's powered on... why god???
>>
>>51742424
Get a ups you cheap bastard.
>>
>>51742424
What didn't it claim the HDD?
>>
>>51743510
No say. Was the first thing checked and glad to see it worked but still racking my brain as to why it all happened...
>>
>>51742443
And yes to this.

I bought a ground checker, and while I do have plug ins with grounds, turns out no plug in my house is actually grounded.
Never trust a old house with modern wiring. Check that shit /g/uys
>>
>>51743811
Lol
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.