[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/SQT/ ~ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: zNEUbhw.gif (1 MB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
zNEUbhw.gif
1 MB, 500x333
Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE and WAIT for a reply. You are NOT entitled to an answer.

For GNU/Linux related stuff, try >>>/g/flt

>READ THE STICKY FIRST >>39894014
>GOOGLE YOUR ISSUE BEFORE POSTING
>DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION

Redirect anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find this thread.
>>
first
>>
>>51741068
Why did you make another one of these when >>51728718
>>
File: dban-logo.gif (5 KB, 121x133) Image search: [Google]
dban-logo.gif
5 KB, 121x133
Sup /g/

I have a couple hard disks I want to nuke before recycling them.

Should I use DBAN's default autonuke (3 pass DoD), something lighter or something heavier?

There is nothing absolutely critical on the drives, but still, it's a bunch of personal data I don't want some random dudes to recover...
>>
>>51741560
>>51741136
crap

reposted the question here >>51741582
>>
>>51741560
1 run should stop anyone except fbi or nsa from recovering anything useful.

>>51741136
because that thread doesnt show up when you search SQT in the catalog. also it's 18 hours old.
>>
>>51741560
1 run on dban 3 pass should be fine. i never give up old hard drives though.

although it would be 100 times easier if you just opened them and broke the platter.
>>
>>51741623
>1 run should stop anyone except fbi or nsa from recovering anything useful.
cool, thanks.
should I fill it with zeros or do random numbers?
>>
>>51741650
>it would be 100 times easier if you just opened them and broke the platter.
I'd gladly take a hammer to the disks but I have many of them, and some of them are next to impossible to open because the screws are really tight and my screwdriver is stripping cones into them. Not worth the effort IMHO (but I AM recovering the rare earth magnets from the ones I can open)
>>
Is EXIF stripped when you upload pics?
>>
>>51741674
do you have a grinder?

>>51741653
i think random but i doubt it actually matters.

btw why dont you sell them?
>>
>>51741732
no, but a few hosting services do, but dont count on it.
>>
>>51741560
If you're recycling them, just microwave them or put a few drill holes through'em. fuck dban.
>>
>>51741758
I mean on here.
>>
>>51741732
it doesn't here, but other places like fagbook do.
>>
>>51741789
OK, just wondering. I remember people using EXIF to fuck people over a lot more a few years ago, and almost not at all nowadays.
>>
>>51741740
No grinder, and opening them would be pretty tedious (see >>51741674)

The reason I'm getting rid of them is because of SMART tests starting to fail, and me not trusting their reliability as an effect of that.

>>51741760
>microwave metal platters
no thanks
>>
>>51741911
if you had a grinder you could just cut it in half without opening them
>>
>>51741872
Last big one I recall happening was Marky, but that was almost a year ago, christmas eve/day iirc. Otherwise, most people don't know what to do with exif even if they had it.
>>
I'm using Tor, is it set to default to run as client-only ? Or do I have to change something? Because I don't want to run as a relay
>>
What sort of microcontroller gives most bang for buck? Raspberry?

Thinking of using it as a webserver/fileserver/mailserver. Possibly just a mailserver if I can find out what's wrong with my current server.
>>
Using MeteorJS and Ironrouter, what is the best way to run JavaScript when routing? I current use something like this:
Router.route('/someRoute', function() {
this.render('someTemplate');
runPageFunc('someTemplate');
}

Then in client.js, I do something like this:
runPageFunc = function(page) {
if (page === 'someTemplate') {
//run the code necessary to the template here.
}
}

How bad is this? What is the best way to accomplish this?
>>
>>51741972
just check the fucking settings, holy shit. how the fuck did you even manage to get on the internet?

>>51742050
any old scrap really unless you want the low-power of a raspi.
>>
how to get better font rendering on debian jessie?
>>
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=210-AFUL

Is this a good monitor? It's on sale at worst buy
>>
File: nope.gif (756 KB, 500x282) Image search: [Google]
nope.gif
756 KB, 500x282
>>51742405
>glossy
>6 ms
>$200
>>
Is there any difference between Malware Bytes and an anti virus?. I've used NOD32 along with Malware Bytes for years however I've been told that with how Malware Bytes is now that it can completely replace an AV.
>>
What kind of monitor should i get for a Raspberry Pi 2? Can i get just any monitor with HDMI or does it have to be one of those little touch monitors?
>>
>>51742557
I'm interested as well.
I thought MBAM only ran with manual scans whereas NOD32 (awesome AV, BTW) et al. scan files before you open them (proactively protecting you)
>>
is there a good free resource for learning C?

I have background in Python and Java, and I want to get down and dirty with some low lvl language
>>
>>51742557
>>51742593
there's 2 versions of malwarebytes you can switch from. active and passive. active is like regular antivirus but it's only good if you pay for it.

stick with nod32 and run malwarebytes full scan every other month or so.

>>51742600
MIT free online courses. Codeacademy.
>>
>>51742574
the raspi has usb ports so you can use mouse and keyboard.

any screen should work.
>>
What's my default xinitrc file supposed to look like?
>>
What's the most important about learning a language? I'm learning Python 2 right now and it's my first language. After that i wanna learn some more? What are the important things that i have to learn when i want to learn a new language after i know how to program?
>>
>>51742557
depends on which version of MBAM you';re using. generally no, MBAM does not replace traditional AV.
>>
>>51742623
>active is like regular antivirus but it's only good if you pay for it.
Good to know, thanks.
>>
Why is zsh better than bash?

What are some cool things that zsh can do?
>>
I have some plans for my home server.

I'm thinking of making its dedicated part a fileserver, only accessible over direct IP (which will be the most sensitive part of the server only I will ever need access to). A virtual server (on the same box) will have the web server, with the IP of the server masked by Cloudflare. This way my virtual server is contained (security) and backups (snapshots) will be easy to maintain from the dedicated part of the server (fileserver).

I used to just have it all on one dedicated server. So if there was some 0-day exploit to gain root access through some stupid script or something I would be fucked.

Thoughts?
>>
What's the best silent mouse?
I bought a Nexus, but it's still pretty loud for some reason.
>>
Tried to root my phone (Note 4, T-Mobile), followed the instructions to a T, and it is now stuck in a reboot-loop. Tried to factory reset it through holding home, power, and vol up, and flashing with ODIN (I couldn't get PDA to add the recovery file, wouldn't show up in the menu). What do I do now?
>>
>>51743120
take it back to where you bought it, tell them an over-the-air update fucked up your phone, and pray that you're still under warranty.
>>
Is it safe to use an Iphone 4s' personal hotspot for extended periods, or would is overheat?
>>
Could a 750W 80+ Gold PSU handle 2 MSI 390s?
>>
>>51743245
Not possible, I'm in Canada (still have T-Mobile service), and the place I got it is an 8 hour drive away.
>>
>>51743072
apple magic mouse

>>51743324
check reviews
>>
>>51741068
im getting a string from a file that has 2 numbers in the format "###, ###" . how do i take that string and store the 2 numbers as ints?
>>
Which language(s) should i learn for web developing?
>>
>>51743402
rubyrails
>>
>>51741068
What a gif.
>>51741732
not on 4chan. Does on facebook and maybe twitter.
>>51742405
hell no
>>51742557
Using active on MB kinda does.
Would I only rely on that? Maybe not.
Play it safe and run your AV with occasional MB scans
>>
>>51743065
I'm wondering what virtualization software I should use though. There's many to choose from listed here:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-virtualization-software.html

I'm already familiar with VirtualBox, but I don't need any GUI stuff. Maybe I should go for OpenVZ?
>>
>>51743402
Rails, mothafucka
Though, Python and its respective frameworks are good too.
>>
Seems like my HD7850 died and i don't think it can be fixed.

Now i'm looking for a gpu to replace it, which cards would be equivalent to a 7850 or maybe a bit better?

Are these okay?
Gigabyte AMD Radeon R7 360 2gb oc
Sapphire Radeon Nitro R7 370 4gb
>>
>>51742235
Install Infinality. There's a guide, although the one guide I saw for Debian involved using an Ubuntu PPA... dunno how stable that will be in the long haul, but probably should be fine.

>>51741732
It's not stripped on 4chan like others have said, it does on imgur. If you have Photoshop, just open it up and crop/resize if necessary and export it, taking care that you change the setting for "Metadata" from "All" to one of the options that don't include EXIF, probably the best option is "None".
>>
College student in his 20s who doesn't know anything about real world economics here, am I being retarded by buying expensive tech with my part time shekels instead of saving up?
>>
Fresh install of W8.1

How do I turn off auto-capitalization while typing?

Going to the typing section in PC Settings and the option is missing.
>>
What's the best 120GB ssd around now? I have an 840 EVO running windoes, but I'm gonna dual boot arch.
>>
>>51744385
850 EVO
>>
>>51744411
I'll check it out. Thanks. How easy/hard is it to upgrade an SSD with different storage sizes? I might get a 250GB, copy old system to 250GB, and install arch on the 120GB.
>>
File: 1444909928132.jpg (22 KB, 480x300) Image search: [Google]
1444909928132.jpg
22 KB, 480x300
looking to set up a family member with a way to listen to music, problem is they're tech-illiterate. Are any of the free versions of streaming services (spotify, play, etc) any good? I can't be assed to fill their android device with what they like, and they certainly don't know how to use torrent software or anything.

From what I can tell, most of the streaming apps just give you radio playlists on free versions, and you have to pay up to be able to listen directly to the albums you want.
>>
>>51744385
>What's the best 120GB ssd around now?
>best
>ssd
The cheapest one.
>>
What are some good tablets around the $200 +- $50 price range?

I have a Nexus 7 2013, is it still the best?
>>
>>51744478
Spotify allows you to listen to whatever you want, albums/playlists/individual songs/etc/ but the ads are very annoying. It's worth it to pay for, I find. Then again I hate ads, so maybe it would be fine for someone who doesn't mind them.
>>
>>51744478
If they're listening on their computer you can put ublock and it won't play ads.
>>
I got a motherboard a while ago (MSI Gaming 5? Socket 1150, Z97) back when I was an elite gamer. I was planning on putting a 4690k or something like that (4790k?) in it. Whats the best option now? Id like it to be in the $300ish range, and good enough to be snappy, and play some gaymes. Whats the best choice now?
>>
>>51744725
4690k is still an excellent option
>>
Can someone explain if there is a way to use filters on 4chanx to automatically add some threads to the thread watcher? I remember hearing about some people but I have no idea. How would you add threads with the subject "/sqt/" to your thread watcher automatically?
>>
My BIOS interface has an option to disable UEFI boot, is that enough to install Grub Manager in BIOS mode ?
>>
>>51744062
buy things that can double as support for school and work, hold off on excessive things until you're stable.
>>
File: basic network map.jpg (65 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
basic network map.jpg
65 KB, 800x600
This might be a little more complicated than /sqt/ can normally handle, but it feels kind of stupid to me. My parents got a new modem from the cable company which is capable of 100 Mbps, a significant upgrade over their old 25 Mbps speeds. There's a Netgear router hooked up to the modem by means of ethernet cord, and then a Thinkpad T410 is hooked up to the router, also by means of an ethernet cord. Elsewhere in the house, my sister's 2013 MBP, a small HTPC I recently built for them and an old Dell prebuilt are connected via wireless.

Now, here is the weird part. For some reason the T410s can get speeds of 100 Mbps or higher over the ethernet cord, but none of the other computers can achieve anything over 30 Mbps via wireless. Once the T410s is taken off the ethernet, it too is limited to about 30 Mbps. All machines are wireless-N capable and the router says it is broadcasting at 180 Mbps. What the hell am I doing wrong? Why is it being throttled?
>>
I need to make a google account, but it wont let me without entering a phone number.

Anyone know a good site for temporary sms? I've been trying a bunch but so far most don't seem to work.
>>
>>51744800
Your router's probably shit m8. What router do you have?
>>
What's the most reliable hard drive brand? And I should stick to under 2tb to be safe, right?

Also, I ran badblocks on my WD MyPassport and it had around 9 million bad blocks or so. Can this be fixed or is it dead? I can still pull files from it and they aren't corrupted.
>>
>>51744823
WB. I'd go with the 1TB Blue. It's the go to brand. I dont know anything about your block issue, though. I'd probably get a new one.
>>
>>51744823
WD blacks have a 5 year warranty, their shtick is being reliable consumer drives. It also depends on what you're going to be using them for, like if you're hammering them 24/7 then you may need to go enterprise.
>>
>>51744184
Ugh. install gentoo.
>>
>>51744859
I do not remember having this problem on my previous W8.1 install from three hours ago.

Dunno why the spelling options are missing from PC settings
>>
>>51744855
Likely going to use it for general storage, having all my data on it. So maybe a couple files a day, I rarely run games from it.

Consumer grade would work fine.

Why black over blue like the other anon suggested?
>>
>>51744899
Blacks are more reliable, Blues are faster.
>>
>>51744899
Blue anon here. Blue is for general use, while black is a 'pro edition'. They also have red, green, purple, etc for long term storage, eco friendly, and constant access (video monitoring). Google it.
>>
>>51744822
It's a Netgear WNDR3700. I've checked online and the thing seems half-decent, in theory it should be capable of 600 Mbps. I'm completely fucking bewildered since it's basically operating at 5% of that.

I don't know too much about the setup, I haven't lived at home since graduating university 2 years ago. But I'm pretty sure all they've done is swapped out the old WRT54G with this Netgear thing, and then swapped out the old cable modem with a new one.
>>
>>51744957
Try hooking the other devices up via ethernet. Maybe they have bad wireless cards? If not, it could be some kind of communication issue with your router & modem.
>>
Is there a way to have guests at a party add songs to a synchtube list without registering? Basically, what I plan on having is:
>guests open barcode scanner
>scan QR code with link to synchtube
>guests search and find the song(s) they wish to add, and add them to the playlist
Ever since plug.dj died, life has sucked.
Is there a way to do this?
Or, a website other than synchtube to accomplish this?
>>
>>51744977
All the machines have bad wireless cards? I doubt that. Besides, my laptop's wireless card works fine, I know that for a fact, and even IT slows right down on this network. If there was some sort of communication issue, I would imagine the T410s would be affected over ethernet, but it isn't. Stranger still, it seems only download speeds are affected; all computers can achieve 15 Mbps up speed.

>upload bandwidth is 50% of download bandwidth
>>
>>51745157
Check the wifi channel that it uses. Perhaps there's an interfering network nearby. Usually channels 1, 6, and 11 are used.
>>
>>51744918
>>51744940
Looking at 3tb blacks, they seem to have many bad reviews.

Any thoughts on greens? I'm looking at a 3tb green with almost all perfect reviews.
>>
>>51745291
Greens run at 5400RPM and are pretty slow. Do not reccomend. Get a blue. (or a fucking ssd)
>>
What piece of technology should I get my mom who is pretty much tech dumb. All she does is watch youtube videos on her phone. Chromcast?
>>
>>51745500
Tablet
>>
Any trustworthy programs that will detect all possible drives that could need updating?
>>
>>51745645
Like firmware updates for your HDD/SSD? or did you mean drivers? Use whatever came with your drive. (840 EVO, I use samsung magician)
>>
>>51741068
960 or 970, worth the extra $100 ? I missed black friday/ cyber monday fuuuuuuark. Best bang for buck sorta future proof card. Recommend some /g/
>>
>>51745691
*drivers.
>>
>>51745500
get her an iPad. the portability and simplicity she'll want, with the stupid-proofing that you want.
>>
>>51741068
i'm switching my current mobo to a micro atx for better space, by switching the mobo will i have to install windows again? if so where could i get windows 7 loader for free?
>>
>>51745727
black friday/cyber monday is overrated.
also
>we're not your personal tech advice, do your own fucking research
>>
>>51745777
but you're in the wrong thread.
>>
File: angry nah.jpg (16 KB, 474x429) Image search: [Google]
angry nah.jpg
16 KB, 474x429
>>51745777
its the "stupid questions" thread.
>>
>>51745691
What does Samsung magician do for you anyway? Recently got myself a 850 evo, but I've never touched the CD, I just thought it was cloning software or something.
>>
>>51745645
if you mean drivers, then drp.su it's free and also gpl so /g/ can't really bitch about it but watch someone go ahesd and greentext .ru
>>
File: 1364295148553.png (794 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1364295148553.png
794 KB, 1920x1080
>>51745823
>>51745837
nah

see >>51741068
>GOOGLE YOUR ISSUE BEFORE POSTING
read as "do your own fucking research"
>>
File: Adobe_Flash_Player_v10_icon.png (171 KB, 1044x1043) Image search: [Google]
Adobe_Flash_Player_v10_icon.png
171 KB, 1044x1043
Got a redirect link to download flash. Of course I didn't, because I knew it was bogus and
>2015
>running flash

but am I still at risk just for having visited the site? I'm running an Mbam scan right now and so far it hasn't picked up anything but I haven't gotten popups like that in a while so I'm kind of out of the loop on malicious programs.

Thanks.
>>
Is there any way to adjust manually my laptop's brightness?
It goes at max brightness and almost minimum every 10 sec.
It's like fading , not instantly.
Only used windows 8.1 with all of the updates and adjusting brightness via windows or by laptop's hotkeys doesnt work efficiently.
Brightness is ok at bios.
Gpu drivers also ok.
Any hints?
>>
File: 1448959087820.png (111 KB, 316x325) Image search: [Google]
1448959087820.png
111 KB, 316x325
Been transferring around 60GB, transfer speeds started at around 18MB/s but for some reason they're now at 11KB/s
I just want to go to sleep, it's almost 3am and I have to be up soon. Can I speed this up somehow
>>
>>51746528
on what devices with what kind of connection? your question is super vague.
>>
Building a light desktop for my brother, mainly for email, Netflix, Word, etc.
If I want it to be useful for him for the next few years, is the i5-4460 worth the extra 60 dollars over the i3-4170? He doesn't game or anything, so I'm planning to run it off the integrated grafics.
Here's the current build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
>>
I'm going to get a new hard drive and move all the stuff I want to that one and whipe the old one so can I just put in both hard drives and copy/paste what I want to keep? I have my OS on a ssd
>>
>>51745769
switching mobos 90% of times require a new windows install. as to where to get winloader? google.
>>
>>51746557
Sorry anon I'm tired
It's just off a laptop on to my new Micro SD card which I've put in using the provided card reader. It's an offline transfer, not through the cloud or something.as I might've implied
>>
>>51746608
why can't you just go to sleep and let the transfer do it's thang and wake up to a finished job
>>
>>51746632
Don't want to wake up to an error message or something
Might do that though, yeah but I've never really been in the habit of leaving devices on overnight. Could it damage the laptops battery to keep it on charge? It's already gone to shit anyway and barely lasts an hour
>>
>>51741068
I just got done deleting some programs on a friends laptop and when we went to restart the computer, the keyboard and mouse have stopped working.
What went wrong?
I know for a fact i didn't delete anything related to the two of them.
Also if it is possible, what would the name of the program be called?
>>
>>51746564
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
thats just a generic link.

Short answer; depends on budget. i3 is absolutely fine for low end tasks, especially if it's haswell.
>>
File: ItCyQmNhzOlbNbU-1600x900-noPad.jpg (339 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
ItCyQmNhzOlbNbU-1600x900-noPad.jpg
339 KB, 1600x900
What is the god-tier order of learning programming languages? I want to focus on websites I don't care about software or operating systems.
>>
>>51746720
Whoops, here it is.
I am trying to keep costs down, as I am doing a full build--computer, monitor, kbm, speakers, etc.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/43MnP6
>>
>>51746863
pls
>>
>>51746804
>I want it to last years
>250gb hard drive

other than that, everything looks fine, except that absolute garbage network adapter. Is ethernet too much of a problem for this build?

"Up to 150Mbps Wireless Data Rates" Meaning probably a lot less for average use.
>>
>>51746990
It was one of the top rated adapters on Amazon. I just want to give him the option to place it anywhere in his house without having to worry about cables.
I chose the 250GB SSD because he honestly doesn't do that much, storage wise. He's been using an ASUS Transformer, and it's really quite a piece of shit. I suppose I could toss in a 500GB HDD.
Is the 4460 really worth an extra 60 bucks when talking about longevity?
>>
https://bakabt.me/whitelist.php
Is there a reason QBittorrent 3.1.8 in particular isn't allowed here anymore? Bakabt torrents were working fine up until now and I've been on this version for a while, and it seems weird to me that nearly every version before and after it is still on there.
I know I can just update to a newer version and fix this, but I was curious.
>>
>>51747067
Most of those reviews are from Rapserri Pi owners, so it makes sense for them. People were also complaining that a negative feature of that adapter is extremely short range, so that eliminates using it from across a house.

4460 is a good cpu even for gaming so yes it's quality. that said its hard to kill a cpu doing normal tasks, especially light browsing / video playback / word processing. Up to you.
>>
Which programming language should I learn
>>
>>51747172
Right, thanks m80.
>>
File: 1447260815471.png (11 KB, 448x264) Image search: [Google]
1447260815471.png
11 KB, 448x264
I can't figure out how to actually join a IRC channel. I've never used IRC before today. Got Limechat and Textual and can't for the life of me connect to any fucking channels. What the fuck am I doing wrong?

For example
>server: irc.rizon.net
>#/g/tech
>#/g/punk

Nothing. Just me, myself, and Irene in a fucking chat all alone.
>>
Can someone explain to me the Linux grpahics stack, and how things like Mesa, Vulkan, openGL, AMDGPU and all this other shit plays into it?

I could barely make sense of it before all this new steamOS era shit started happening.
>>
>>51747270
where did you get those channel names from?
>>
>>51747270
/join #whatthefuckeverchannel
>>
I want to learn programing to make money and phone applications. (The two aren't related, I just need money and think phone application development would be a cool little hobby.)

What should be my first languages to learn?
>>
>>51747397
iOS: Swift
Android: Java
>>
>>51747397
Understand the concepts of coding first. Git gud at algebra too.
>>
>>51747323
>>51747324
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/IRC#List_of_.2Fg.2F-associated_channels

>t-the installgentoo wiki
>>
if (!extension().compare(".obj"))

While I know anyone reading this will understand exactly what this does, I'm a bit of a freak when it comes expressive code. I'm just stuck with this aren't I ;_;
>>
>>51747414
I think I'd prefer to make for android seeing as how I never really use any apple products.

Some of my friends notice that I'm good with computers, by their standards anyway, and start going on and on about how it would be awesome to make an app and they all use apple products, so maybe I'll learn swift one day too.

How do people release identical apps on each system? Do they just remake the whole game with all the same values just in a different language?

>>51747415
Concepts? Sorry, what do you mean?

>git gud at Algibra
Fug, I was always shit at math. How complex is it? Is my hope dead because I'm a moron?
>>
>>51746684
>teracopy
>robocopy /z
>>
>>51747504
>Do they just remake the whole game with all the same values just in a different language?
Sometimes. There are a lot of cross-platform frameworks nowadays, though.
>>
Any store that asks you to open packs, then takes away the contents from you, is ruining the pack opening experience. You might as well just find some people to play cube draft with op.

>what is cube draft?

Somebody makes giant brick of cards to choose from, you sleeve them up and shuffle them up, then draft "packs" from the top until you have 15 cards each and then proceed as normal during a draft.

>that sounds expensive
pauper cube (commons only).

>that sounds repetitive
an switch up the cube however you like.

If you have any other irl friends that play magic, or know anybody at the lgs that's willing to try it, it's quite fun.
>>
File: c:.jpg (104 KB, 380x326) Image search: [Google]
c:.jpg
104 KB, 380x326
>>51747716
nigga u lost?
>>
>>51745940
It gives you some useless stats, but it's the only way to update the firmware. I'd download it, run the firmware update, and uninstall it if I were you.

>>51746737
Learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, and some other server side stuff. Start with HTML. codecademy.com is your friend.

>>51747222
Python. Then move on to C++ or java if you like programming.
>>
>>51747753
Yes. /tg/ and /g/ look very similar in browser tabs when you aren't paying attention. fuck me.
>>
>>51747270
On irssi:

/connect irc.freenode.net
/join #linux

For freenode you have to be registered. I forget how to register, but you 'sign in' via
/msg NickServ identify password
>>
Just built a new computer and installed Windows 10. Everything seems to work except the ethernet. It takes a few minutes to "identify" the network then just gives up and says "Unidentified Network" and the internet is unusable. The same router works on my computer in a different port and cable. What gives?
>>
>>51747885
open command prompt

>ping 127.0.0.1

what happens
>>
Building a new PC. Will my old HDD with Windows and all my shit work or do I simply need to get a new one. I know that getting a new one is better due to failure rates and whatnot, just asking if it will work.
>>
>>51747949
Windows will crash during boot because no drivers.
>>
>>51747928
Works fine. Pinging 8.8.8.8 results in "General Failure" for all packets.
>>
>>51747991
netstat? ping default gateway?

Could be a driver issue. I have encountered ethernet drivers not automatically working with new windows installs.
>>
>>51745954
scratch that, just went there again after a long time and the full version is no longer free
>>
>>51748005
I'll try installing the latest drivers. Unfortunately Gigabyte's American and European servers 404 so I have to download from Asia. Hopefully that will fix it. The disc that came with was outdated as fuck.
>>
Is there a good music player/itunes replacement that has a similar layout? Column of the artists, the albums of the currently selected artist, etc.
I dont like the players that only have a big list of all the songs.
>>
File: usb.jpg (35 KB, 370x489) Image search: [Google]
usb.jpg
35 KB, 370x489
>be nigger
>steal USB left in computer lab
>says 64gb on it but only shows 32gb
what do
>>
>>51748131
stop being a nigger and learn how to format an usb
>>
>>51748131
Stop being a nigger. And look for other partitions.
>>
Does anyone have a key code for windows 10? My computer got corrupted and the Internet drivers won't work correctly so I now need to download windows 10 to get back on the Internet with my laptop
>>
How can I add a tab after a bullet point? If you're on the line with the bullet, pressing tab simply increases the indent level of the bullet.
I want to just insert the whitespace character so as to align values, you know? Like

- Something here [tab] text
- stuff [tab][tab] moretext

And then 'text' and 'moretext' will be aligned
>>
>>51748131

>windows

>plugging in usb drives "accidentally" left in computer lab

enjoy m8
>>
so looking on predb I can see Microsoft.Visual.Studio.Enterprise.2015.with.Update1.ISO-TBE but I can't find it on a public tracker. Why isn't something this popular out yet?
>>
>>51748213
Sure, buy it from Microsoft.
>>
>>51748213
>windows 10 is free
>>
>>51748131
RMprepUSB

Always
>>
File: 1442364173883.jpg (286 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
1442364173883.jpg
286 KB, 960x640
Should I update every time there's a new update for my GPU? Every now and then I hear stories of something something doesn't work and shouldn't update. My GPU isn't new, like 2013 old.
>>
>>51748460
Is everything working fine? If yes I'll say don't bother.
>>
File: DSC_0524%7E01.jpg (752 KB, 1804x1440) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0524%7E01.jpg
752 KB, 1804x1440
When my gpu goes up to ~80oC I get "drivers stopped working" error. What gives? It didn't throttle, just threw that error at me. The card is a used r9 280x windforce.
Also should I get better exhaust fans so that they can pull hot air out faster? The 2 top fans are pretty shitty and the back one came along with my case.
Pic related. Fuck that red sata cable.
>>
is there a software that allows me to stream to a few friends with low delay (~1 sec), good quality, and game sound? i've tried teamviewer, but audio doesnt work with skype.
>>
>>51748460
i updated yesterday and my gpu died today

don't
>>
>>51748500
I'm not sure about the use for gaming, but we use free screen sharing software for work called join.me that might fit your needs.
>>
>>51748486
I think you have bigger problems than driver faults if your GPU is racheting up to 800 degrees.
>>
>>51748546
thanks for the suggestion, i will give it a shot, but screen sharing software we have tried results in echoing voices when we try to include game audio
>>
>>51748500
Have you tried google plus?
>>
>>51748641
yes, it does not stream game audio, unfortunately
>>
>>51748151
>>51748155
>>51748256
>>51748448
I cleared the disk then reformatted. it had 28gb unallocated but it's fine now

thanks
>>
>>51748561
It's 80 degree Celsius.
>>
>GPU is better for every crypto stuff from password cracking to coin mining
>GPU is better for rendering
>GPU is better for calculating

why is there even cpu? like oh my shit its a 8 core 4ghz and everyone be like wow that awesome while oh my shit 1250mhz gpu OH SHIT NIGGA HOW????
why not just substitute cpu with another gpu?
>>
Anyone know of a faster alternative to cURL for running exhaustive search on a website?
>>
I need more storage, I've got 250gb SSD. Found out I can buy the same SSD on amazon for under 80 bucks, should I get it and put it in raid 0 configuration or are there better options?
>>
>>51748835
GPU is a very poor CPU

>>51748878
wget can follow links if you whisper to it just so

>>51748886
ssd in raid is unusual
>>
>>51748959
>wget can follow links if you whisper to it just so
Can it also submit form data? That's really the gist of what I'm doing...
>>
>>51748959
but why? both gpu and cpu is for calculating right? if the gpu's architecture can be this strong with 1 core and a low fq while a 8 core cpu suffers to keep up why dont people change it?
>>
i have a python notebook where they do x.dot(a) all the time but when i try to do it in other files i always get 'list' object has no attribute 'dot'
why?
>>
>>51748835
Anon, what would you say if I told you that there are hybrid CPU/GPUs on the market?
>>
>>51749029
i know there are APU-s ...
>>
>>51749002
>architecture can be this strong with 1 core
But the GPU is not 1 core. It is hundreds of tiny cores, specialized for a small set of operations.

>>51749039
HSA will come when AMD climbs out of the gutter.

>>51748979
it probably can't do that, sorry.
>>
>>51748835
Because GPUs suck at anything that has many branches you imbecile.
>>
I'm trying to remember the name of a browser mentioned here a little while ago. It had something to do with oranges and I believe the name was a play on the word "Citrus". Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>51749139
Google: citrus related web browser
First result: Citrio
>>
Anyone know how to open .DAT files on W7? I've got some files and I think they're videos (VLC seems to generate runtimes for them, but has issues playing them). Word processors have their typical garbled mess, even with correct settings
>>
i seem to be missing network adapters for my laptop, and i'm lost on where to get them. i tried googling this already and nothing worked.
>>
>>51749260
Thank you.
>>
I wanted to set up a mail server at home, but I just realised my ISP blocks port 25. Is there any way to get around this that doesn't involve killing myself or installing gentoo?
>>
>ITT: lazy plebs who can't RTFM
>>
>>51741732
People are saying it's not stripped on 4chan. This is false. It has been for quite some while now. It was indeed the case that it was not stripped, but it is now.
>>
So, i really *really* badly need an IP subnet mask calculator where you can freely enter the desired amount of hosts in the network and which then shows you the whole calculation/equation process explained in as much detail as possible afterwards black on white - NOT just the blank result itself without any explanation whatsoever to go with it.

Does something like this even exist? If so, where?
>>
How do you keep subs when you crop MKVs to MP4/WEBM ?
>>
>>51741068
I'm assembling a parts list for a gaymen computer for one of my friends and I'm trying to figure out how badly, if at all an i5-4690k would bottle neck a GTX 980 / 980 ti.
>>
Is the Nexus 6P worth it?

Currently have the 6 and I love how the 6P looks but I keep hearing stories of bending and random cracking. I know they RMA it but I don't want to have to do it every month.
>>
>>51749604
I found something earlier but you can't freely chose the exact amount of hosts with that particular one and the explanation of the result itself isn't as detailed/sound as i want it to be

Just about any kind of calculator with an in-built result explanation will do really, or at least one that presents the result in a way that makes it kinda look like you could've actually calculated it for yourself or something
>>
>>51749750
i'm not sure if mp4 supports subtitles, though can always leave them as a seperate file (if the situation allows it), or burn them in (that is, make the text a permanent part of the video itself)

webm supports webvtt format subtitles (you can burn them in as well, i'm not sure if 4chan accepts webms with webvtt subs)
>>
>>51749985

thanks for the advice
>>
Anyone have a working guide to set up openstack on metal? The current release is broken.
>>
Alright.

1) I have a rooted Samsung Galaxy S 10.5 and want to change the home button behavior to open my app drawer with a long press. The only app that use to be able to do this was Home2 shortcut but it doesn't work on android versions higher than 4.4.x

Is there a working way to rebind shortcuts to apps or other things? Specifically interested in double-tap home and long-press home remapping.

2) I am reinstalling windows 7 on my desktop, do I still have to manually install AHCI drivers if my bios is set to ahci mode?

3) is it worth it to pirate windows 10 yet or is 7 still king?
>>
>>51743820
Go with kvm or if your web project is simple enough docker container.
>>
Will this work
[spoiler
]@echo off
:W
if %time%==04:58:00.00 goto :X
goto :W
:X
shutdown.exe /s /f /t 60 /c "Shutting down, 5 AM"
>>
>>51750078
probably not
>>
Is discord part of the botnet?
Looking for a replacement for skype
>>
>>51750051
Home button maps are supported by xposed framework. Or a better rom.

Only if you have an unsupported board.

If you have a good win 7 pirate you might be able to get a free copy of w10 just by downloading the updates.
>>
Trying to mount an iso I might not have in proper shape.
download, install isodisk, it tells me I need to reboot before using the program to mount an iso. Reboot, try to mount iso, it tells me I need to reboot before using the program to mount an iso. Reboot, try to mount iso, it tells me...

What do to fix, or what iso software instead?
>>
Do people still use DAEMON tools lite or are there better virtual imaging for ISO installs?

win7
>>
>>51750233
mount
>win7
sucks for you.
>>
>>51750279
...is windows 10 worth it or are you a linux zealot?
pirated of course.
>>
Windows 7 64bit pro iso download anyone please?

If it has all the updates preinstalled too thats a bonus. Thanks in advance
>>
>>51750233
Having just had to install it; it installs a bit of random adware (your pc isn't protected, quick, activate now) and tries to install some video client but you can decline that.
It appears to function, and be free.
>>
does anyone have some sofware that will allow me to select a bunc hof locations from multiple drives to backup manually?

I want to pull from my documents, game saves, etc etc every 3 months and have incremental backups of them. I don't want to manually do this because there are a shit ton of locations.
>>
>>51750518
rsync script, feed it directory pairs from a listing
>>
File: vt220 terminal.jpg (295 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
vt220 terminal.jpg
295 KB, 1280x853
Can someone give me an idiot's definition of what exactly a terminal is?
I'm having a hard time understanding
>>
>>51749410
Could you give some context as to what file you're trying to open?

.dat is a generic, arbitrary extension, almost equivalent to no extension (usually found on Unix/Linux)
>>
>>51750623

It's like a primitive VNC console. A thin client allowing you to run software on a powerful mainframe.

These days, the Web and SaaS/Cloud services are in many ways the modern incarnation of the thin client dream.
>>
>>51750623
It's basically a weak computer that can't do anything by itself except connect to a different computer with more power and resources.
>>
>>51750623
Back in the days when powerful computer were fuck-huge, you would have small dumb clients connecting to the big ass computer that was hidden away.
Those were called terminals.
>>
>>51750575
any GUI retard friendly programs for windows babies?
>>
File: untitled1.png (21 KB, 604x346) Image search: [Google]
untitled1.png
21 KB, 604x346
How the hell do I find out what piece of hardware is failing on me? I think a piece of hardware in my PC burned out, after the computer turned off a couple of times when playing a new game, and after I downloaded a temp monitoring system, the temps got fairly, on most of the parts.

Ever since then, my PC has been freezing, and I have to force shutdown every time, and it's happening all the time, with no rhyme or reason. Sometimes it runs for hours, sometimes it doesn't. Last night, it froze immediately after startup.

Pic related, it's what my reliability report looks like. Bear in mind it's missing the one that happened 10 minutes ago, after half an hour runtime.
>>
>>51750453

>he has to install a proprietary program
>that installs unwanted software on the computer
>the computer that he probably uses to make purchases on the internet
>he has to do all this just to mount an iso

Winkeks WILL defend this

sudo apt-get install mdf2iso
mdf2iso
mount
>>
File: Untitled.png (237 KB, 1030x425) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
237 KB, 1030x425
how do i connect these? just use the cords that come with it for my computer?
>>
>>51750755
call my when linux is a seemless experience for the end-user that isn't a /g/eekstink.
>>
>>51750623
A long time ago, computers were these massive, hulking beasts of complex and expensive parts with not even an eighth the power of your phone.

They filled up a whole room, and thus couldn't be placed just anywhere.

The solution to this was to have little places to interact with the computer, called terminals. Terminals accessed the big computer, known as a mainframe.

The terminal merely displays information from the mainframe. The terminal/mainframe idea died out as personal computers became popular.

SSH and Telnet are the closest surviving examples of terminals. These protocols allow you to interact with a remote computer through a command-line interface, like the ones used with mainframes.

To understand the modern terminal used by Unix/Linux, it helps to remember that Graphical User Interfaces (you know, where you point and click with a mouse) are just programs that run on top of the terminal. The terminal is really the heart of input-output on these systems.
>>
File: 1449376261074.png (358 KB, 721x531) Image search: [Google]
1449376261074.png
358 KB, 721x531
>>51750769

>muh gaems

If you can't install an Ubuntu-based distribution than your parents shouldn't have been allowed to reproduce.

If you fell for the Arch meme then they also fucked up by raising a kid that cares more about impressing internet strangers over practicality.
>>
>>51750760
Almost certainly.
Most small desktop speaker systems connect via 3.5mm audio jack to your computer. The female jack connection on your computer will be green, if it has a color at all.
>>
What's a good software that will keep track of my audiobook listening? I'm running both Windows and Linux, so whatever is the best.
>>
>>51750760
keeek
>>
>>51750735
Well it's happened twice since then. Which makes it 3 times within half an hour, and I can't even recreate the problem, as even when it turned off 2 minutes after startup, I did everything exactly the same and it didn't freeze.
>>
>>51750852
>Kid that cares about impressing internet strangers over practicality
>Brags about using Linux because it makes them hardcoar
>Doesn't use the much more practical Windows 7, as an idiot could use Win7, but you need to be at least a little tech savvy to use Linux
Seems like you caught yourself there mate.
>>
>>51750735
To isolate the part, try the following:

Do a graphics rendering test.
Search logs for what is failing.
Attempt to run a LiveCD of another operating system on your computer.

If the graphics rendering test fails repeatedly, it is your graphics card.
Logs may indicate the first thing to break. It could be bad ram allocation, HDD error, or an OS-related error.
Running a LiveCD will eliminate the possibility of it being your HDD or OS.
Finally, you're not getting any unusual temperatures, are you?

Best of luck.
>>
>>51750897
thanks anon i appreciate it
>>
>>51750154
Not sure on Discord, but I believe the current /g/ standard is Tox as a Skype alternative.
>>
>>51750653
>>51750677
>>51750690
>>51750815
Interesting, thanks
>>
>>51751013
Is the graphics rendering test a stress test? If so, I've ran them before with no problems. I didn't run it for long though, only 10 minutes. Should I leave it until it automatically stops? I've also ran a memory test, but that came back all aces.

At the moment, none of the temps are higher than nominal.

I'll try the LiveCD. Is there any specific one I should try?
>>
File: cisco.png (108 KB, 1343x637) Image search: [Google]
cisco.png
108 KB, 1343x637
The following answers should be correct.
Why is it getting dropped ? Shouldn't it be unicast & flood ?
>>
>>51751065
If your stress test includes some sort of graphics testing method and isn't purely CPU testing, then that's fine.

Most Linux distros work well for LiveCD. Ubuntu and Linux Mint are known for working well out the box, try using their GUI's as well as just idling in a black terminal (activated in Ubuntu through one of the F1-F12 keys).
>>
>>51751073
>Shouldn't it be unicast & flood ?

Given the state of the CAM table, yes.
>>
>>51751145
and under what logic should the frame be dropped ?
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-06-23-19-29.png (129 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-06-23-19-29.png
129 KB, 1080x1920
My K53sc laptop temps are ridiculously high even when idling. I took it apart and cleaned it recently and it seemed to be alright, but now its gone to exceeding 90°C. Should I reseat the CPU/GPU with some fresh TP?
>>
>>51750968

> need to convert one file to another?
> web search "free gif maker windows NO VIRUS"
> top 10 links are cnet and sourceforge-tier malvertising peddlers
> download a random-closed sourced program
> make sure to check the "botnet lite" setting during install
> spend next 20 minutes frantically googling "how to remove SMM malware"

> this setup is somehow preferable to entering 50 characters into the terminal and pressing enter :^D
>>
>>51751169
>under what logic should the frame be dropped

Unless I'm missing something, the question says only to consider the source and destination addresses as well as the CAM table. If that port is on it's own vlan (the only port on that vlan) it would be dropped as the switch doesn't flood to the source port.
>>
>>51751169
It shouldn't, default behavior is to flood all ports when the destination is unreachable. I can't think of a case where it would drop as part of intended operation.
>>
>>51751222
No VLANs here.
>>51751224

Thanks both of you, I will try to report the error somehow.
>>
>>51750760
Don't trust >>51750897 it's bullshit.
You need an amplifier, which usually connects with this cable http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Audio-Cable-Splitter-1-Mini/dp/B00004Z5CP to your computer and any speaker wires to connect speakers to the amplifier.
>>
My dad's old pc running windows xp doesn't shut down.

It goes to the 'Windows is shutting down' screen and stops there while the cpu fan remains spinning and the hdd spins down.

I tried shutting down from safe mode too and it didn't work. Any ideas on what to do?
>>
>>51751624
Try the power button
>>
Hello /g/

I'm just want ask a quick question on monitors.
What are some recommend around $150-$250 Au?
Pretty much good enough for 1080p gaming/normal use with my 380.

thanks
>>
what would cause some games to suddenly become unplayable (too few fps)?

what changed:
>moved parts to a new case with better cooling
>added an SSD and put windows on it

i'm still running windows from my original hard drive. temperatures now (61 max gpu, 54 max cpu) are better than they were before
>>
Im looking at buying a laptop and the model ive seen that ive liked the most so far is available with an i5 or i7. The price difference is about 100€.

Is the difference worth the price?
>>
>>51752039
If you have to ask, probably not.
>>
Such a good question, left unanswered:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130821014130AApsvlj

> What is a good alternative to the Raspberry Pi without GPU?
>I am looking for a small computer that will run linux distributions like CentOS

>The best would be that the GPU is bad and CPU powerful
>>
>>51751809
maybe a lack of wattage. what is your psu wattage and are you still using the older drive? if you are using a prebuilt this might be a problem since they would spend the least they can to get a machine up and nothing more
>>
>>51752076
from your post i assume some fag actually said that. i really hate yahoo answers and its userbase. not so much the people asking questions, but those 'answering' them. it goes like this
>sensible question?
>>why would you want to do that? (why the fuck does it matter you stupid shit? you don't know, so fuck off)
>>there is no option i am aware of (as in im in the same situation as op but think my input is so fucking important)
>>i dont know (seriously what the fuck)
>>you would be better off not trying to do x (nigger fuck you the most i hate you)
>nobody bothers to even open the thread past this point to answer it
I MAD
>>
Is there a site where I can search computer cases based on features/number of drive bays etc? I've been looking to build a computer and I'm pretty tired of searching for what fits in what.

No I don't want light up aliens, I wanna be able to put my stuff in there.

I ordered an Antec one which seemed good at the time when I was thinking of getting a GTX 970 but everywhere I go people are saying that the R9 390 is better and it won't fit in the damn thing.

I'm so tired of dealing with this.
>>
>>51752230
it's an evga 600b, self-assembled. I forgot to mention that the new case has 5 fans compared to 1 from the last one.
yes, I'm still using the old drive. I haven't done anything but put windows on the ssd yet
>>
File: cpuid mon.png (163 KB, 1048x1020) Image search: [Google]
cpuid mon.png
163 KB, 1048x1020
>>51752350
>>51752230
forgot pic
>>
>>51752330
newegg, pcpartpicker
>>
What's the best graphics card in the region of $200-$300 USD?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.