[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to get more women into tech?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 16
File: gtrrewv.jpg (292 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
gtrrewv.jpg
292 KB, 1600x1200
>>
>>51740081
>cut them up
>shove body parts into tower
>turn on computer
>fap to anime
>>
>>51740081
Install kitchens at tech companies.
>>
>>51740225
This actually. Catering at the company I work for is practically nonexistent, so I wouldn't mind if some cute girls would do a bit of cooking.
>>
>>51740081
Force them to wear bad sweaters?
>>
>>51740481
>mfw China has cute women in the office acting as waitresses to keep morale up for code monkeys
>>
>>51740129
/thread
>>
I dont understand this more women and colored folk in stem. Why? theres nothing holding them back. If loads of women and brown people wanted to go into stem then they could. However, it seems that stem appeals more to white and asian males. wow thats crazy different people like different things.

shouldn't all this be based on performance and not things like sex or color? if males perform better at stem then thats just how it is. lowering/changing standards to inflate the stem population makes no sense
>>
>>51740081
Let them come and get the jobs if they want them. Just like anyone else.

tldr: who gives a shit
>>
>>51740593
I dont understand this more black and white folk in the same neighborhoods. Why? theres nothing holding them back. If loads of black people wanted to go into white neighborhoods then they could. However, it seems that being safe from lynching appeals more to them. wow thats crazy different people like different things.

shouldn't all this be based on performance and not things like color? if white people have safer lives then thats just how it is. lowering/changing standards to inflate the stem population makes no sense
>>
>>51740081
Change the definition of tech so it includes womens studies, baking, makeup ect
>>
>>51740655
>lynching
are you from the 50s?
>>
File: 1435471456759.jpg (20 KB, 380x254) Image search: [Google]
1435471456759.jpg
20 KB, 380x254
>>51740655
> A firm grasp on reality, and definitely not insane.

Wowzers!
>>
>>51740655
t. sarah sharp
>>
File: gentrification.jpg (185 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
gentrification.jpg
185 KB, 500x375
>>51740655
But that's literally the truth
there's nothing stopping black people from moving to white neighborhoods
>>
>>51740081
/g/ should stop making rape and death threats

#yesallmen
>>
>>51740700
I think they may be a skilled mafia player, it's hard to say
>>
File: 1423867191972.jpg (44 KB, 481x554) Image search: [Google]
1423867191972.jpg
44 KB, 481x554
>>51740862
The only death threats I've seen are directed towards your posts, Anonymous.
>>
File: 1414253093080.png (56 KB, 1068x1112) Image search: [Google]
1414253093080.png
56 KB, 1068x1112
>>51740655
>shouldn't all this be based on performance and not things like color?
Yes, but you have two sides of the argument:

1. All women and niggers are bad because I say so. Here look at these statistics that are definite proof of my argument, please ignore that correlation is not causation.
2. All Women and niggers have been treated like shit for centuries so now we need to treat whites and men the same way. I don't need cherry picked statistics because I have my FEELINGS.

Both sides of this argument are unbelievably cancerous, and they equally contribute to society going to shit.
>>
>>51740893
Who asked you, cis male?
shut the fuck up

#killallmen #sweetmaletears
>>
>>51740655
>>51740784
Gentrification is the process by which rich people buy up houses in shitty neighborhoods and make things more expensive.

Blacks just don't know how to save money, so they scream "gentrification" with the help of hippies and hipsters.

AKA literally California
>>
>>51740989
> pound sign memes

Where do you think we are?
>>
>>51741025
We need to make /g/ a safe space.

#heforshe
>>
>>51741008
I know right? Stupid niggers would be able to afford multimillion dollar properties if they only saved up their minimum wage paychecks foe a few months.
Dumbass
>>
Do you mean the tech industry, or just getting women to be more into tech in general? I got my girlfriend to try out Linux on her laptop and she's enjoying learning how to use commands and customize it to her liking.

I've also been slowly getting her into gaming. She started by watching me play PC games mirrored onto our TV. Now we play couch co-op of shit like Divinity: Original Sin and Gauntlet.
>>
File: 1434230307249.jpg (72 KB, 537x399) Image search: [Google]
1434230307249.jpg
72 KB, 537x399
>>51741049
> need to make a safe place
>>
>>51741025
> pound sign
> where are we

not on h£r maj£sty's world wid£ w£b it would s££m
>>
>>51741008
>property values double
>taxes increase
>rent goes up
>mom and pops and cheap grocery stores get closed down so whole foods and 5 start restuarants can move in
>everything now costs more
>job still pays minimum wage
>it's their fault because they're niggers
>>
>>51740784
>>51740655
>>51741008
>>51741050

gentrification = being outbid
these niggers sold their houses to the white people in the first place. The smart ones sell up and get the fuck out of there, the dumb poor ones sook as they get shooed away while things are getting 'less poverty stricken'
>>
make the fat autists that populate CS faculties around the world take a shower and learn how to socialize with non-autists
>>
File: 1439657587620.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1439657587620.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>51741150
> implying this doesn't affect every type of person in that neighborhood the same way
>>
File: 13342819025283.jpg (17 KB, 658x374) Image search: [Google]
13342819025283.jpg
17 KB, 658x374
>>51741150
>>51741050
>>
wtf why is the comment replying to mine with minor changes not about tech getting more replies fuck this shit
>>
>>51741226
Chill nigga, this thread took a detour
>>
>>51741213
It does, but he's specifically talking about blacks.
>>
>>51741247
Hence the post positing that specifically talking about blacks implies that it only affects blacks.

> implying
> implying
> implying
>>
>>51741226

> I are here for srs convo and (you)s
>>
>>51741050
It's their fault for ruining their neighborhoods in the first place. They should get down on their hands and knees and kiss the feet of the people who made their property worth something again.
>>
>>51740129
>forever alone
>>
>>51741320
Hello Reddit.
>>
>>51741375
>wild assumption meme
>>
>>51740784
Exactly
>tfw I'm black and I live in a white gated community
>tfw white old ladies give me cookies when I visit them and fix their computers
>tfw I have political conversations with old bros from 'Nam and WWII who are whte
>tfw they invite me to golf on the weekends

All you need is to bust your ass working hard and not be a nigger.
>>51741050
Stupid niggers are gonna be stupid niggers, even if the gubment gives them their monthly welfare to get them off their asses.

>inb4 well your just a privaleged uncletom

From the country district of Ethiopia. Dad worked hard. Mom worked hard. Lived in the lower middle class. Taught me not to be stupid with my life so I made something out of it.

>>51741293
ID WAS DA WHITEY.

>>51740081
Hellz nah nigga. Don't want no competition up in here. Let 'em chimp around in their ghetto zoos if the wanna.

Sheiiiiiiit.
>>
From my experience, a lot of the women I've talked to don't like being treated differently. All this stupid diversity bullshit isn't helping at all and is actually driving women away from Software jobs. All this affirmative action stuff also puts a lot of men into the mindset that women working the same job as them didnt "earn" the job which us bullshit. I've seen this cause some tension between male and female workers. There's also a lot micro-sexism in software jobs. The Netflix show "Master of None" did a great job of showing an example of this.

TLDR: stop giving them special treatment you doofus
>>
>>51740972
But the first part is actually valid. Correlation is not causation, yes, but the two often intertwine.

You are literally denying statistics math right now, and I suggest you back off that statement without making a fool out of yourself.

If N-(N/0.75) in N number of people X does action Z, and N-(N/0.25) in N of people Y does action Z, it is therefore safe to assume there is 50% more chance of people Y commiting action Z.

That's no fallacy, that's math.
>>
File: c1207bdfe5e1dea4[1].jpg (72 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
c1207bdfe5e1dea4[1].jpg
72 KB, 600x600
This will never be not correct.
>>
>>51741109
Stop threatening me.

#killallmen #teachmennottorape
>>
>>51741447
> Ethiopia

You know you're actually Caucasian right? And probably the best version of an African black.

That's hardly in any way meaningful to average american blacks which descend from west african slaves.

I guess you can keep preaching as you do thou, most Americans can't tell the difference anyhow.
>>
File: 1369776115313.jpg (38 KB, 450x347) Image search: [Google]
1369776115313.jpg
38 KB, 450x347
>mfw Amerikeks argue over that gender bullshit
>mfw i dont give a shit
>>
>>51740784
Gentrification: the physical, social, economic and cultural phenomenon whereby dirty shitholes of crime, poverty, single motherhood, sexual crimes and human trash are turned into actually functional and livable neighborhoods.
>>
>>51740784
good we don't need lazy poor and uneducated in these areas. I'll take the rich snob over a dumb lazy nigger.
>>
>>51740081
Stop raising them to be gender stereotypes and they'll start pursuing tech jobs at higher rates. It's not fucking rocket science.
>>
>>51740577

NO WAY.

That's amazing.

Too bad in the western world that would be PETRIARCHY OPRESSING WIMINZ!

Oh man.
>>
>>51740593
You simply don't understand modern social justice. Modern social justice is not about providing people with an equal playing field. It instead considers an even playing field a very bad thing because it knows that even an equal playing field will not produce the results they want.

You see what they actually want is for women and people who aren't white or asian to be ether equally represented or more than equally represented. To them it's not the means that matter, to them it's the ends that matter. They don't believe in fair methods of evaluation if they produce what they see as the right results. To them no method is wrong as long as it produces the results that they want.

Usually these methods include hiring quotas based on race or gender and generally just lowering the bar for the groups they think should be better represented.
>>
>How to get more women into tech?

That is in fact very simple.

Get more hunks, pretty boys, and studs into tech. If women notice there''s plenty of high value males in an environment(working or otherwise) they will flock there like catholics for their Saturday mass.
>>
>>51741581
>Listen up you MALE PIG! They feel INTIMIDATED by the MAN representing STEM and don't want to sign up!

Or something along those lines
>>
>>51740577
>>51741747
adding that to the list of things I will do once I'm CEO of this company I'm working at
>>
>>51740081
We could start by getting more tech into women
>>
>>51741629
>caucasian
Really now? Never knew that.
>best version of an African black
Pfft I already knew that. Us Ethios boast on and on about that shit.

I guess every other one does too. Except when we say it, it's right.

>That's hardly in any way meaningful to average american blacks which descend from west African slaves. I guess you can keep preaching as you do thou

What do you mean?

>most Americans can't tell the difference anyhow

You'd imagine that they would right? But in my experience with Americans (especially white ones), most of them know if I'm Ethio or not.

Probably because I have a huge forehead and tired ass looking eyes like every other Ethio.

Or they've had other experiences with other Ethios and know how non-nigger they are compared to """"african"""" Americans from West Africa.

But what really gets me is how we call blacks that live in America "African Americans".

I know they have ancestors from Africa and all, but does that really make them African?

They act, talk, and think MUCH differently than actual Africans.

Whites in America descend from Europe, but we don't called them European-Americans do we?
>>
Why does it matter?

Why isn't there a similar, well funded movement to get more men into nursing?
>>
>>51741931
I would say promoting fitness in STEM majors would work (simply put, unfit bodies are never aesthetic), but unfortunately the Fat States of Fatmerica are so fat people are starting to embrace fatness and feminists would cry about fat shaming and fitness obsession and HAES and this fitness promotion triggers me and blah blah blah.
>>
>>51742266
>Whites in America descend from Europe, but we don't called them European-Americans do we?
That's actually how white supremacists call themselves, "European American pride activists".
>>
>>51742272
Nursing isn't even that shit tier
>>51742334
Most of them act like them and speak their languages.

Afri-Ameris don't even know 3 countries in Africa.

Meaning if I were to call whites in America "European-Americans", I wouldn't be that wrong because they do act and think like Euros.

Not only that, but they also indulge in their culture a lot.

I mean, where have you seen a African America festival for Ethiopian music (excluding Ethiopian concerts hosted by other Ethios).
>>
>>51742266
> Really now? Never knew that.
Yup. Technically speaking, you're black but not a nigger:
> Wilson et al. (2001), an autosomal DNA study based on cluster analysis that looked at a combined sample ofAmharaandOromoexamining asingleenzyme variants:drug metabolizing enzyme(DME) loci, found that 62% of Ethiopeans fall into the same cluster ofAshkenazi Jews,NorwegiansandArmeniansbased on that gene. Only 24% of Ethiopians cluster withBantusand Afro-Caribbeans, 8% withPapua New Guineans, and 6% withChinese.[12]

Do long as you're not mix with caribbean or sub saharans, chances are you're mixed with caucasoid genes and it makes up most of your gene pool. I suggest you research into the matter, it's interesting stuff.

Americans can't even tell the difference between an Irish and an Italian. America divides shit very simply to white and black, with asians floating around too. And they are forcing that backward mentality on other nations aswell.

Don't get lumped into groups you don't necessarily belong to. That's just detrimental in the long run to your identity and theirs .
>>
>>51742456
>nursing isn't that shit tier

Who said it was? So yeah, why isn't there a movement to get men into nursing? Shouldn't 'equality' be pursued in all fields, not just the tech industry?
>>
>>51742224

L-lewd
>>
>>51742779
No I was I agreeing with you anon. Fuck my English. I meant: Nursing isn't even that shit tier. My mom was a nurse.

Hell yeah it should. People nowadays look down on blue collar jobs.

Some women just want to shoot for the jobs with bank pay without trying to do the hard work.

When they see how hard it really is, they bail, then complain how it was "patriarchal".
see
>>51741581

>>51742568
I'll be sure to look into it. Now that I think of it, a lot of Ethios are great at school.

Maybe we get it from that?

>Do long as you're not mix with caribbean or sub saharans, chances are you're mixed with caucasoid genes and it makes up most of your gene pool.

I don't even like other black women to be honest. Not even other Ethios.

There is one black girl in mind because she so based and all, but that's another story.
>>
Statistically speaking men are pretty much doing everything better than women so I'm not really sure why you would want them doing important things. Granted not women are the same and some are in fact genius ,but the ratio is same as decent black people and shitty black people.
>inb4 sexist
>inb4 racists
>>
>>51740972
"Correlation is not equal to causation, but correlation does wiggle it's eyebrows suggestively at it"
>>
More equal the opportunity more prominent is biological predisposition.

See: Sweden STEM 20:1 M/F, Healthcare 1:20 M/F.
>>
>>51743114
Moar
>>
File: correlation.png (17 KB, 459x185) Image search: [Google]
correlation.png
17 KB, 459x185
>>51743152
>>
Anyone remember how in 2008-2011 time frame, atheism was THE topic of discussion around the internet? It was all atheists all the time. A lot of that died down because the hardcore atheists got associated with fedora wearing neckbeards. Suddenly, everyone started calling themselves "non-religious" so as not to associate themselves with the fedora wearers.

The same tactic can be used to get women in tech. Anyone who opposes it is a virgin neckbeard who wears a fedora and must be a closet homosexual if they hate women so much. Describe anyone who makes jokes about women as edgelords. Create memes with 13 year old boys on Xbox Live crying about a girl joining the game. When it comes to Github, anyone who protests the code of conduct or vocabulary changes needs their profiles scrutinized. One should add comments suggesting that they are only focusing on such trivial change requests because they're too incompetent. Real programmers would be more worried about the guts of the code to worry about trivial changes. Point out that gender neutral language is more technically accurate. The anti-trans crowd always likes to talk about chromosomes and acts all high and mighty about their "technical accuracy". Point out how gender neutral language is simply more technically accurate since not all users and developers are guaranteed to be male.

Feminists have done a great job getting the media on their side, but a very poor job of getting the tech community at large on their side. It needs to be less about treating women like victims and men like monsters. Instead, they need to focus on creating an image where anti-feminists are frustrated virgins in trench coats and fedoras. An upstanding, successful male supports more women in tech. They can even turn the misogyny on its head and use the "hey, I could use more babes at work" type of argument and anyone who disagrees is a faggot.
>>
>>51740081

But I am into it (: It kind of is my hobby (:
>>
>>51743629
Pls be in lOndon
>>
I love threads like these. Let's me see the disgusting mindsets that people in tech have and I have a general idea of of the type of people I'll be working with when I graduate.
>>
>>51743654
I'm from Ukraine
>>
File: 1416974531198.jpg (45 KB, 499x533) Image search: [Google]
1416974531198.jpg
45 KB, 499x533
>>51743669
Go on... What mindsets and posts specifically?
>>
File: Lol_cool_story.gif (2 MB, 308x214) Image search: [Google]
Lol_cool_story.gif
2 MB, 308x214
>>51743943
> A bunch of reasonable posts
> DISGUSTING

Wew
>>
>>51744036
I'd add your post to my list as well.
>>
>>51741416
Reddit.
>>
File: image_5.jpg (19 KB, 650x360) Image search: [Google]
image_5.jpg
19 KB, 650x360
>>51744049
Are you serous
>>
>>51740081

The women who want to be in tech are already in tech, and they have as much chance to grow as anyone else (maybe more because of quotas).

We need to stop trying to force our daughters into industries they have no interest in .
>>
>>51743943
>a black guy said niggers
>Disgusting
Bu..but I thought blacks couldn't be raycis
>>
>>51744329
>implying blacks don't hate other blacks more than anyone else
>>
>>51741447
>mfw you're white and live in a trailer park and making all this up
>>
>>51744119
Shit post causing a loop.
>>
>>51740577
Proofs?
>>
>>51743669
If you weren't working with people in tech in high school, or college, what makes you think you'll be working when you graduate?
>>
>>51743943
So even though my posts calls /pol/ a bunch of retards, just because I also call SJWs an equally stupid bunch of retards I have a "disgusting mindset"?

Fuck off.
>>
>>51744526
I'm currently interning as a Jr Sys Admin fortunately in a diverse company. I'm just not used to being around autist neckbeards who solely work with people who look and think just like themselves.
>>
>>51744610
Most people here are idiots. Leave while you still can. Don't let /g/ ruin your brain.
>>
>>51744610

95% of people on this board don't work. It's mostly just students and NEETs who watch anime all day.
>>
Most people care about results more than hurt feelings.
>>
File: faggot.jpg (153 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
faggot.jpg
153 KB, 2000x1000
>>51741539
>Correlation is not causation, yes, but the two often intertwine.
http://tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

>You are literally denying statistics math right now
I'm not denying anything.

>If N-(N/0.75) in N number of people X does action Z, and N-(N/0.25) in N of people Y does action Z, it is therefore safe to assume there is 50% more chance of people Y commiting action Z.
lol

>That's no fallacy, that's math.
You don't draw conclusions from observations. You make hypotheses and test them. What you're doing is not math, it's not even a fallacy, it's just stupidity.
>>
>>51744767
Shouldn't there be a time, T, between the alleged cause and consequence, and the timeframe should be fine grained enough to calculate a meaningful standard deviation for the set of T?
>>
>>51744350
Everyone knows this already. They kill each other in droves.
>>
There's a female programmer at my company. One day this new hire who was some MRA type went to her desk and said: "Hey little girl, why don't you go make us a sandwich and leave the programming to us men?" He talked other kinds of shit too, and a crowd gathered around them. She just smirked, said "watch this" and pulled out a second keyboard. She started typing on both of them at the same time, so fast that we could barely keep up. She wrote an operating system in Assembly in just five minutes and it booted on the first try. We were all stunned into silence, except for the new guy who got mad and said: "Time to teach you a lesson, bitch!" and lunged at her. She casually unleashed a deadly barrage of martial arts attacks, instantly severing his spine (keep in mind this guy was built like an NFL quarterback). The whole office broke into applause. He was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics, and our CEO announced she would become his successor effective immediately, before castrating himself and jumping off the roof with a smile on his face. The whole office broke into applause. She said: "If any of you boys want to learn some coding, my door is always open," tipped her fedora, turned around 360 degrees and walked away. I was so impressed and so in awe that when I got home I told my girlfriend that we're buying a strap-on.

This really happened.
>>
>>51745012
>I was so impressed and so in awe that when I got home I told my girlfriend that we're buying a strap-on.
Every time.
>>
>>51745012
I don't believe you. The coroner would have pronounced him dead.
>>
>>51745012
And her name? Terry Davis
>>
>>51745012
>and it booted on the first try
My sides
>>
>>51744610

haha. sys admins is like the worst job in tech. kek. enjoy working with talentless hacks.
>>
>>51740577
they weren't waitresses they were morale cheerleaders or some shit
>>
I'd rather get tech into a woman, if. u know what I mean :)
>>
>>51740593
meritocracy = racism.
check your logical thinking privilege.
>>
>>51740691

yfw "STEAM"
>>
>>51740655
>capitalism is okay
>except when it isn't
SJWs want competition in the workplace for high wages, but they don't want competition in the housing market for exclusivity?
do you even antimony?
>>
>>51740081
Become one.
>>
>>51741581
Some things to note about this.

More women than men get degrees. It's something like 4 degrees to men for every 5 degrees to women.

30% of computer science majors are women. However, this is measured as a proportion of each gender in the introductory class. Over half of CS majors will switch to a different major at some point in their education. This means that proportionally, more women drop CS than men do.

Women study easier topics by far. The higher the average grade of a major the higher the proportion of women in said major. This makes women seem more intelligent until it is noted that the most difficult majors in terms of average GPA are STEM fields and the easiest majors in terms of GPA are social studies like sociology and gender studies.

To address the OP, there is nothing to be done. Women have the momentum when it comes to getting "into" "tech". All fields will be dominated by women in the near- to mid-term future. This is because women are earning the almost vast majority of degrees. This is in principle because women are, in some manner, [trigger warning] privileged.
>>
>>51745012
>keep in mind this guy was built like an NFL quarterback

Not knowing QB's are built like pussies. Literally the least athletic player on a team, aside from passing ability.
>>
>>51740081
Integrate sandwich making with tech somehow.
>>
>>51745012
>booting on first try

yeah ok then
Thread replies: 113
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.