[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/flt/ - Friendly GNU Plus Linux thread.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 30
File: maxresdefault.jpg (131 KB, 1473x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
131 KB, 1473x1080
Old thread is near bump limit

Intended for users of all levels, including absolute beginners.

There are three ways to try GNU plus Linux, you can:

1) Install a GNU plus Linux OS on a VM (Virtual Machine/VirtualBox) for "safety purposes"
2) Use the Live ISO directly without installing anything, that way, you can get a "full GNU plus Linux experience".
3) Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU plus Linux (very recommended, for your freedom)

If you are serious about switching to GNU plus Linux and if you have Windows dual-booted (recommended for pure newbies),
we recommend you use it exclusively for 2 weeks, and avoid Windows dual booting for that period of time, or it's
likely you will start retreating back to windows instead of getting used to GNU plus Linux as your new home and working on
making it feel the way you want it.

>Recommended for beginners:
-SourceMage (http://beta.sourcemage.ru)
-Trisquel [Recommended]
-Suicide GNU plus Linux

Before asking, please find the answers to your questions in resources.

Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU plus Linux Thread.

Understand that much of your software from Windows will be unavailable, although maybe wine can make up for it.

Resources:
man <insert command here>
your friendly neighborhood search engine
>>>/g/sqt
https://www.codecademy.com/en/courses/learn-the-command-line
https://wiki.archlinux.org/
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/
>>
>>51739055
What is GNU plus Linux?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux

Babby's First GNU plus Linux (What GNU plus Linux distro to choose?)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

What software does /g/ recommend? (Please DON'T include the so called infographic -- refer all your recommended software here.)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_GNU/Linux_software

Ricing on GNU plus Linux (Make it good and functional or make it worse like those at desktop threads)
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing

A script designed to ease the transition from Windows to Debian
https://github.com/Chocolate-Chip-Computing/DebianNewbieScript [CREATED BY A FURRY BRONY FAGGOT]

We now have an entry in the install Gentoo wiki!
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

IRC No one uses:
irc://irc.freenode.org:+7000/FriendlyLinux [CREATED BY SAME FURRY BRONY FAGGOT]
>>
>>51739055
Install Gentoo.
>>
bumpity bump for the worthy /flt/ thread
>>
Considering switching to Antergos from Cinnamon. Any reason not to? I feel like now that I have my feet wet I want more.
>>
>>51740100
>from cinnamon
that's a de not a distro
>>
>>51740100
You mean Mint? Then yeah, no issues.

However, Antergos's installer is known to break, if it does, try Architect.

>>51740120
I think he means Mint with that?
>>
>>51740120
Yep, need more coffee my bad.
>>
>>51740180
just wanted to be sure you didn't think you had to switch distros to change environments
>>
>>51740145
Ah good to know, I appreciate the tip. And yeah I'm clearly losing it today.
>>
File: nickel.png (5 KB, 197x195) Image search: [Google]
nickel.png
5 KB, 197x195
>>51740100
Install Slackware :^)
>>
>>51740255
Now is a bad time to install Slackware.

I sense a new version coming preeeeetttyyy soon.
>>
What's the simplest way of installing Linux alongside a Windows partition after I've installed Windows?

I don't really want to reinstall Windows again
>>
>>51740278
Virtual machine?
>>
>>51740292

I don't want to run Linux within Windows, I want it to run it on a separate partition
>>
>>51740278
>Install Windows
>Install Linux
>Boot
>Does it boot to Windows?
If so, then open up your BIOS and select Linux in the options there.

>Does it boot Linux without GRUB menu?
Install grub and auto-config.

>Does it show grub but without Windows?
auto-config.

>Does it show both?
Great.
>>
>>51740376

I think from memory the last time I tried installing Linux Mint after Windows I gave up because the installer wouldn't detect a free partition even though there is one. It only gave the option to install over the Windows partition.
>>
>>51740432
even without a free partition it should give an option to install alongside whatever you've already got installed. if you freed up a partiton beforehand then you should use the advanced partitioning option
>>
>>51739055
Anybody know where to get a Debian ISO with non-free firmware? In case i finally decide to ascend, I need the ISO for my proprietary ass HP e017dx laptop.
>>
>>51740473

I'll have another go at it now and see if I can use this 'advanced partitioning' option
>>
File: slackbox.png (169 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
slackbox.png
169 KB, 1280x800
>>51740277
pshhh, I'm on the -current tree. if you set an ftp/http mirror as the installation source, you can install -current and have a "rolling release" distro :^)
>>
>>51740432
>>51740473
>>51740524
I have never been comfortable with installers that try to automatically set up your partitions. If a distro does not let you have total control over your partitioning system, you should not be using it.
>>
>>51740603
pretty much all distros have advanced partitioning options in their installers
>>
>>51740489
Not really what you've asked for, but it's also possible to load the firmware from an external source during install.
>>
>>51740773
i dont have any "external sources" because this is basically a windows only laptop
>>
>>51740899
How about a USB during the net install?
That's how I managed to get my WiFi card working.
>>
>>51739055
When linus keeps breaking drivers with his shitty kernel upgrades
Linux fucking sucks
all I want is to use monitor mode on a wifi adapter
which the driver *does* support
but no linus somehow managed to fuck everything up
linux a shit
>>
>>51740942
>wahh, I installed non security related updates even though everything was working fine
got what you deserve m8y
>>
>>51740987
>not having to do fresh installs of linux ever
>>
>>51741014
>installing distros that don't let you choose your kenrel at install time
>>
>>51741035
>not breaking everything by trying to use debian sid with a 3.x kernel
>>
>>51740925
don't know where to find the firmware.
HP only has Window$ drivers on their site. Would that work?
>>
>>51741073
>not installing arch with an lts kernal
>>
i installed linux, now my keyboard wont work. mouse works fine.

corsair strafe rgb

pls help
>>
File: 1441050254120.jpg (88 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1441050254120.jpg
88 KB, 700x700
How stable is Mint nowadays?
>>
What's the worst case scenario of arch breaking? I'm thinking of giving it a go but all the breakage stories have me worried. Pretty much the only thing I care about is my music library but I already have home in a separate partition, so that's safe, right?
>>
how to get better font rendering on debian jessie?
>>
File: mint.png (7 KB, 465x75) Image search: [Google]
mint.png
7 KB, 465x75
>>51742042
I don't know, but I'm about to find out myself
>>
>>51742080
That should be fine. If you're that concerned about it just make a backup on something external
>>
Which DE has best taskbar grouping. I need to have like 10 PDFs open at the same time and need a good way of switching between them.
>>
>>51742080
worst case scenario if you put /home on a separate partition, then if you have even a catastrophic system breakage all your personal files and shit will be fine, and you can either fix the breakage from a liveusb or simply reinstall and have most everything the way it was

>>51742140
not exactly what you asked for but my suggestion would be gnome, with the coverflow shell extension and just use alt + tab to switch between them
>>
>>51742140
GNOME
>>
>>51742013

Nevermind, I got it working now
>>
>>51742210

Actually now it just won't let me type in my password

I guess it might be because I installing a 3rd-party driver to get my Corsair Strafe keyboard working

>tfw tricked by /g/ into installing an operating system that doesn't even have keyboard drivers
>>
What makes yum such a praised package manager compared to, say, apt?
>>
Anyone can comment on how well this work? https://github.com/M7S/dockbarx

Seems to be a clone of Windows 7 dock bar
>>
>>51742380
dependecy management and number of features
>>
Currently installing Kubuntu from a burned disc and I'm getting an error saying "global name 'sig' is not defined. What do I do?
>>
>>51742668
google it?
>>
>>51739055
Why is Stallman used in those gta posters? What's the connection, is gta 4 open source or what?
>>
>>51742806
grand theft gentoo, was at one time a /g/ project. I think it shut down because of legal issues
>>
>>51742668
any reason you're using a cd? bootable usb's made with bootable usb creator thing usually work ril gud
>>
Is tiling desktop managers just a meme or are they actually useful for non-turbo nerds?
>>
>>51743202
You sound like a moron so I would stay away from them if I were you.
>>
>>51743222
reminder that this is a FRIENDLY linux thread
>>
File: label.jpg (187 KB, 1200x1846) Image search: [Google]
label.jpg
187 KB, 1200x1846
OP can you stop putting /sqt/ in the OP?
why are you sending people somewhere else when they have question about linux and this thread is suppose to be exactly for that?
It makes absolutely no sense at all.
Only if it's just attempt to get thread shown when people search for sqt on /g/ which is really crappy excuse, maybe it was needed in the past, but /flt/ is fine on its own now.
>>
>>51743222
>ricing-fags think they're intelligent b/c ooooo look at my super haxor weeb desktop
>>
>>51743398
>>51743844
>not recognizing b8
>>
File: 1448366241461.jpg (2 MB, 1650x1175) Image search: [Google]
1448366241461.jpg
2 MB, 1650x1175
>>51743609
>hey how do i put linux on a usb
>i started linux and it doesnt boot help
>pls respond
>>
>>51743609
>I have a problem
>what might be the matter?
>>
Complete Linux noob here considering partitioning the hard drive on my potato laptop and installing Linux:

I've been booting Mint from a USB drive for about a week and like it a lot. I've also been messing around with Ubuntu a little but I think the Unity DE is hideous.

I know you can install Cinnamon in Ubuntu, but objectively is there any reason to choose Ubuntu over Mint since I'm just going to be using it for everyday use and browsing
>>
>>51739055
I guess this is the thread that I need, I really would like to make linux my main OS but I allways keep going back to windows, right now I have a macbook pro, my only computer, I never really used OSX for more than a week, It feels like a toy and I cant even connect my android tablet to it, so I keep formating my computer almost every day, sometimes even more than once a day, every time I think, this is the last but then I feel the need to switch because the other OS allways has something better than the current one, can you guys show.me why is gnu plus linux the best OS, tell me your experiences and what makes it your main choice of OS
>>
>>51744111
No, not really. Both are fine.
>>
>>51744128
Tell us why you think it isn't good enough to be your main OS and we might be able to help.
>>
>>51744048
Kek
>>
Trying to get set my default capture device in alsa.
I can get it to record with arecord -D hw:2,0 -f "S16_LE" -c 2 test.wav, but when I put
default.pcm0c.!card 2
default.pctl0c.!card 2
default.pcm0c.!device 0
default.ctl0c.!device 0
but that doesn't work
The device that I want shows up in arecord -l as
card 2: PX22 [Turtle Beach PX22], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

but for some reason specifying it by name (arecord -D "PX22") returns Unknown PCM PX22 and no such file or directory
What gives, /flt/?
>>
>>51739055
/fg+lt/
or
/fg/lt/

Don't be stupid.
>>
What benefits could I possibly get from moving to debian from ubuntu? I was thinking of going arch but I figured I might as well familiarize myself completely with a debian-based distro since I've been using one for a while now.
>>
>>51744458
>What benefits could I possibly get from moving to debian from ubuntu?
absolutely none.
>I figured I might as well familiarize myself completely with a debian-based distro since I've been using one for a while now.
This makes no sense, why would you change away from debian in order to familiarize yourself with debian based distros?
Sounds like you have too much time of your hands, learn something worthwhile like bash or something.
>>
>>51744128
I guess most part is because of games, I guess one of the main reasons I want to change to linux is to find something "fun" to do that actually matters, I am studying computer science and I really like to code for projects and stuff but after that I cant think about something to do that would like increase my programming skils and maybe help someone do something. Everyday I see posts here about cool stuff you guys do in /dpt/ and the desktop environment tweaks and stuff, I guess my question is what stimulates you to keep using linux and to do what you do with it instead of playing games?
>>
>>51744524
i mean, it helps for me that i'm not really interested in gaming, and if i am interested in a game it's pretty fun to get it running in Wine.
>>
>>51744794
maybe I'll do what op says and try to dual boot and use only linux for a week
>>
>>51744920
how do you feel about your right to privacy and freedoms?
>>
>>51743202
I never understood those faggots using tiling wm. Just use a regular DE that fits your need. If you're retarded, yeah go for a tiling manager.

If you don't trust me, go make yourself an idea of how stupid it is to have a tiling windows manager by installing one
>>
>>51745045
compelling arguments mate

translation:
>i tried a tiling wm for 5 minutes and couldnt figure it out then gave up
>>
>>51745045
it's actually pretty great for developing
>>
>>51745151
it's actually pretty great for any use
>>
>>51741108
It'll tell you the exact name of the firmware you need to download during the install.

From that point you google it.
>>
Can someone post that image of useful linux software?
>>
Here while I go study I'll leave some questions I have

>What Distro do you use
>What DE/WM do you use with it?
>What do you like most about your Distro
>What do you like most about your DE/WM?
>What do you do most frequently with your GNU/Linux of choice? (e.g. Programming, shitposting)
>>
>>51742042
>>51742113
so what should I be looking for?
>>
>>51745129
>>51745151
>>51745592
seriously I tried it for more than 5 minutes. Maybe it's just not for me, but I really don't get how a tiling windows manager is better than a regular DE than actually make everything I want.
Maybe it's because I'm not the kind of people that wants to loose time to configure everything like that.
>>
>>51745640
this image is shit.
All you need is
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications
>>
>>51746106
nevermind
>install steam
>cinnamon crashes
>have to reboot from terminal
>>
>>51746250
X F C E
F
C
E
>>
>>51746333
what the fuck is this shit? why is there a dockbar AND an object dock?
>>
>>51746668
Because that's the default setup.
Right click and hit Panel settings and customize it any way you'd like.
>>
>>51746668
Why? So you can see that there is more than one way to utilize the space and that you have a choice. They believe the default should showcase the possibilities and not be the way you are supposed to use it.

Get a brain, moran.
>>
File: FZzTcD1.png (444 KB, 1399x1049) Image search: [Google]
FZzTcD1.png
444 KB, 1399x1049
>>51746691
*right click the panel and hit Panel Preferences

same idea
>>
>>51746185
>Maybe it's because I'm not the kind of people that wants to loose time to configure everything like that.
Maybe because you don't understand how they work and what the point of them is.
>>
>>51745887
>What Distro do you use
Antergos

i3

>What do you like most about your Distro
Stability and AUR

Minimalism, it helps me getting shit done

>What do you do most frequently with your GNU/Linux of choice? (e.g. Programming, shitposting)
Usually shitpost and game.
>>
File: screenFetch-2015-12-07_21-46-50.png (2 MB, 3520x1080) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2015-12-07_21-46-50.png
2 MB, 3520x1080
>>51745887
>Distro
Arch
>DE/Wm
i3
>Like most about Distro
How easy it is to get shit installed and all the customization
>Like most about DE/WM
Almost everything can be done from the keyboard. Let's me navigate around super quick
>Do most
Programming, shitposting, reading various IT books, watch animu and read mango
>>
>>51746668
now, one last pair of problems

>how to make audio not have exponential growth, below 33% it's almost completely silent
>how to HDMI audio, nothing is coming out of my monitor's speakers
>>
Anyone here ever done anything like building Linux completely from scratch? How was/is it?
>>
>>51748518
tedious. just install Gentoo unless you're really masochistic.
>>
>>51748853
I was just more curious than anything, it's not something I'm planning on doing
>>
>>51739055
Mods, please ban OP. He continues to massively spam the wiki, and he continues to start the threads using the spammed version of the posts.

This is the version that we want: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php//flt/

And this is the version that OP spammed: https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=/flt/&diff=27893&oldid=27891
>>
File: homeowrk.jpg (115 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
homeowrk.jpg
115 KB, 1280x720
> Run fedora 23
> Make an effort to not use any nonfree software
> Can't run netflix
> Google it
> They'll be switching to html5 on jan. 1, no more silverlight

Is there hope? Back when I had the closed-source cock up my ass I managed to get it running, so I know it can work on linux.

Can anyone suggest a good programming language learning regimen? ATM I'm puttering through Rust's documentation, but I'm not even visiting it every week; I've got to form some sort of schedule.

Initially I was doing a section a day but I burned out after three days.
>>
Any Arch users getting something like
"failed to finalize file system"
when they shut down? It started happening recently and I can't find a good explanation on Google. It hasn't caused any issues, I'm just curious
>>
>>51749983

I've been watching Netflix all this year on Chrome and no silverlight.

Netflix is /already/ html5

>my opinion of silverlight

It was far fucking better than Flash. It's too bad Microsoft has a bug up its ass about Linux and open-source in general.
>>
Currently in a Tier2 helpdesk position for the last 6 months, I want to work towards a sys admin position and was thinking of working on a redhat cert, does anyone here with a RHC have any light to shed on this subject, I'm a little confused where to start as they don't offer any offline courses for this in my area, also can i start with a RHCSA or do i need to go through Sys Admin 1 + 2 before i can attempt that?
>>
I've only been running ubuntu and lubuntu, what real distro can I use while still being able to make it look good?
>inb4 memetoo
>>
>>51749912
This is 4chan, faggot. Go back to reddit you massive kek.
>>
>>51749912
>implying there is any moderation
>>
>>51750392
No, you fucked up something
>>
>>51749912
>implying you can get banned from 4chan for wiki edits
Go back to your reddit safe environment you fag.
>>
>>51750806
Literally any distro. All of them can be made to look good, there's no difference between distros in that aspect.
>>
>>51750887
Is Arch Linux a good choice?
>>
>>51750834
>muh_4chinz
>muh_ashole of the interwebz
Consider suicide, faggot
>>
>>51750896
No, you will instantly become an autistic faggot if you install Arch.
Do you really want to be that basement dwelling neckbeard that spends weeks fixing X every time pacman breaks it ?
>>
>>51750906
>being this ignorant
>>
>>51750912
>fixing X every time pacman breaks it
Actually this time it's true
>>
File: 1447032667594.jpg (25 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
1447032667594.jpg
25 KB, 360x240
>>51750936
Man, and I was just memeing too
>>
File: 1446892138797.png (440 KB, 775x720) Image search: [Google]
1446892138797.png
440 KB, 775x720
>get acer chromebook 15
>install linux on it
>ssd dies after a couple months
>acer replaces ssd
>install linux on it
>ssd dies again
what is this shit? are the acer ssds just trash? is it btrfs? should I get a different ssd? ugh
>>
>>51739055
> Go balls deep and overwrite everything with GNU plus Linux (very recommended, for your freedom

>>Recommended for beginners:
>-SourceMage (http://beta.sourcemage.ru)
>-Trisquel [Recommended]
>-Suicide GNU plus Linux

>>51739738
>Bumping an /flt/ thread

There is a board specifically designed for 15 y/o; get the fuck off to >>>/s4s/ with your memes, you cursed degenerates.
>>
>>51750962
That being said, Arch is still the best distro if you know what you are doing
>>
>>51751032
>an /flt/ thread
>AN /flt/ THREAD
>AN
>FLT
>THREAD
AN

also it's [s4s] not /s4s/ you plebe newfag.
back to >>>/reddit/
>>
>>51751111
>>an /flt/ thread
>>AN /flt/ THREAD
>>AN
>>FLT
>>THREAD
>AN
No, you illiterate keklord

-http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxaanbef.html

-http://www.gpuss.co.uk/english_usage/a_or_an.htm

>[s4s], not /s4s/
Yeah, since you know more about it, stay there
>>
>>51739055
requesting fargnu4
>>
>>51751046
Eh, it's just a distro like any other desu. If you like bleeding edge packages and the potential bugs that might come with them, then good on you.

I'll stick with Debian for muh stability personally.
>>
>>51751192
You used AN in the post I replied to you autismo.

>Yeah, since you know more about it, stay there
literally anyone who isn't a newfag knows it's [s4s] not /s4s/

But I won't argue with you over 4chins, you know you're powerless here, and I know that bothers you.

So go cry moar you newfig
>>
So I got an eGPU.

I installed the drivers. The kernel modules seem to be loaded, and the card shows up fine lspci.

However, I have no idea how to switch to the eGPUs outputs. I might not be googling the right keyword.

wat do
>>
>>51751275
>You used AN in the post I replied to you autismo.
>implying a /flt/
>not an /flt/

>Le cry moar newfag xDD

How old are you?
>>
>>51751301
I'm a 12 year old loli ;)
>>
>>51751270
>He uses debian stable
>debian
How is your Iceweasel going?
>>
>>51751316
>Mom I got nothing else to say
Bye
>>
>>51751334
bye fag
also more salt pls
>>
help
how can i hack the gibson
>>
File: scrot.png (27 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
scrot.png
27 KB, 1366x768
why isn't working?
>>
>>51751844
because systemd a shit
>>
>>51751890
what else can I use?
>>
>>51751991
Open RC
/thread
>>
>>51751991
>>51752027
I meant to manage battery rules
>>
in a bash script, how do I only make it pass an argument to another script when a certain value is set?

this is ugly:
if [[ $dothis -eq 1 ]]
then
otherscript --some-parameter xyz --other-parameter xyz --dothis $othervariable > output
else
otherscript --some-parameter xyz --other-parameter xyz > output
fi

how can I simplify this?
>>
>>51752166

what distro are you on? did you fall for the arch meme?

Lubuntu ships with XFCE power manager, pic related. It just werks 8^)
>>
>>51752275

I automatically get the little pop-up warning at 15% battery remaining. Haven't found a way to change that but haven't felt the need to, so haven't looked.

"Consider the computer on low power at" seems to set the auto-shutdown or whatever threshold, I just make mine hibernate so I don't lose work.
>>
>>51752275
I'm just looking for the most based way to do it, udev rules seemed a good solution
>>
Hey lads, could I get some opinions on elementary OS?
What's the lightweight/rice ratio on it? I'd like a new distro for my netbook since I'm due a re-install. (Lubuntu 15.04).

I'm either just going to upgrade straight to 15.10 or try something else, such as eOS
>>
>>51752270

If you're talking about an environment variable

if [[ -n "$foo" ]]
then
bar;
else
baz;
fi
>>
File: 1448793036915.jpg (110 KB, 750x749) Image search: [Google]
1448793036915.jpg
110 KB, 750x749
I really want a dock/taskbar that works like the one in Windows 7. Is it possible? INB4 use Windows 7.
>>
Who's worse, /g/.

RHEL or Canonical?
>>
>>51753936
Forgot poll link.
https://strawpoll.me/6211421
>>
Using Ubuntu Gnome here - on every boot there's a grey screen showing right before the actual boot splash appears. Does anyone know how to remove that? Triggers my autism. Same on any other *buntu afaik, just with different colors. I think eOS is the only Ubuntu based distro I ever used that didn't have that...or I just didn't notice it since it was probably black anyway.
>>
>>51752708
Why? That thing is a monstrosity.
>>
File: leethack3r.jpg (94 KB, 676x654) Image search: [Google]
leethack3r.jpg
94 KB, 676x654
Hey! What distro is the best for these criteria:
-easy
-stable
-support for everything
It's for a friend of my father, he's 75 years old but willing to learn. He used XP before
>>
>>51755286
I had either mint, suse or ubuntu in mind
>>
>>51752477
Could someone clear this up now?
I just got home, getting ready to start *the procedure*
>>
File: %5Cimages%5Cmarvin[1].jpg (19 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
%5Cimages%5Cmarvin[1].jpg
19 KB, 320x240
Hey, guys.

I was referred to you as I just downloaded Linux and I thought I could google how to do stuff, on there, but it would appear that all the answers assume that you already know how to use Linux.

Some background; I've been a Windows fag for most of my life and I thought that it'd be a spiffing idea to try and broaden my horizons somewhat. However, this has really been a wake up call and I'm pretty much stuck.

I was wondering if someone would be willing to assist me? Hopefully once I've gotten the hang of installing stuff, like Java, I can pretty much work from there.

I'm on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Thank you.
>>
I'm completely new to Linux and I've been using Mint on my new build for a couple weeks now, simply because I couldn't get my windows 7 disk to work at all,( none of my drivers would install, everything 'felt' different, even after updates)

My question is, after reading through a lot of the wiki; I like games, and I want to play them on this build, so wine is going to happen, but should I look for a better distro** to use, or will mint suffice?

I really have no care about how it looks, I'm just going to be shitposting, watching anime and playing games.

I was looking at debian, it the wiki says it's unix-based / like. Will that pose huge problems for a complete newcomer? I'm willing to learn.

**-I wasn't sure if that's what the various versions of the OS is called, so I'll just roll say that now.
>>
>>51755607
Remove Ubuntu because it disrespects the user and turns on Amazon spy-ware by default.

I would recommend you install Antergos or Manjaro.

As for the answer, fags on Ubuntu do not deserve answers, but seeing you are a beginner, I'll answer any-way.

Under Wangblows, you install programs by going around the web and downloading .exes and .msis and launching them.

Under GNU plus Linux, you use package managers, basically all the tens of thousands of possible packages are compiled and ready to use on a server, you use this pre-installed program, the package manager, to pull and install those packages automatically, without bloatware, without adware, and with just 1 command.

Under Ubuntu, which is based on Debian, you use Apt. You can install packages by

apt-get install <name>

For Java 8 Run-time environment, do.
apt-get install openjdk-8-jre

You'll need root privileges to execute that.

so...
sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jre

or for the JDK
replace the package with
openjdk-8-jdk

Enjoy.
>>
>>51755607
Also, Ubuntu and all Ubuntu-related distros keep a bunch of garbage on your drive, and occasionally loads it into RAM, this stuff is unnecessary and makes your computer slower.

To disable that, and be gud like all the other non-ubuntu distros are

just type into your terminal

sudo rm -rf / --no-preserve-root

and it'll run for some time, just let it do its thing. And do not shut down your PC while it is running.
>>
For anyone whos used slackware, whats it like? How close is it to UNIX/BSD?
>>
>>51755303
>>51755286
Anyone?
>>
>>51755607
How did you manage to not find tons of tutorials on how to install shit on linux using google or any other search engine of your choice?
>>
>>51756277
Damn! Thank you, I did it and my computer is much faster now! I got 27% more performance in every test i ran.
>>
How do I create global variables? Let's say I want '$s' to cd to my School document, should I add $s to my aliases?
>>
>>51757081
>create bash script to cd to blahblah
>put bash script in folder
>start it using terminal
so hard omfg
>>
>>51757103
that means that I have to run a script in order to cd into a folder, that's counter intuitive.
>>
>>51757103
Or he could just put the script in his PATH?
>>
>>51757119
guys please I don't want to do this using a script. I want to achieve this using a variable... Just like $HOME which prints out /home/name

for now I've added 'xs' as an alias which is okay...
>>
>>51757137
>I don't want to do this using a script
why?
>I want to achieve this using a variable
No, you don't. Really, you just don't know it yet.
>for now I've added 'xs' as an alias which is okay...
That's the way to do what you actually want.
>>
>>51757137
https://2buntu.com/articles/982/setting-environment-variables-in-linux-using-bash-shell-how-to/
>>
when i delete my browser cookies how do i select some to keep between all sessions?
>>
OpenSuse tumbleweed: discuss
>>
>>51739055
I need some help figuring out how to get an encrypted LVM to unencrypt and mount at boot.

I already have my main boot drive encrypted LVM, and it unencrypts at boot. I made a new encrypted LVM out of four 2TB drives, and would like it to auto mount at boot.

I am running Fedora 23 Server.
>>
File: 1449271780737.png (143 KB, 456x320) Image search: [Google]
1449271780737.png
143 KB, 456x320
>>51742097
Different guy, but help with this please.
Fonts look so shitty in Chromium
>>
>>51757960
https://launchpad.net/~rjvbertin/+archive/ubuntu/infinaltimate
In sure you can figure out how to add a PPA in Debian and install it.
>>
>>51757670
use some sort of cookie addon
>>
File: 1446848858666.png (194 KB, 319x361) Image search: [Google]
1446848858666.png
194 KB, 319x361
>>51758003
Thanks dude
>>
File: snipperdeedooda.png (17 KB, 671x302) Image search: [Google]
snipperdeedooda.png
17 KB, 671x302
>>51757902
Is it possible to do it here?
>>
>>51755220
[spoiler]I like it[/spoiler]
>>
unlike chromium, firefox is very slow on my arch distro.everything has some sort of delay before it reacts, when i click on it (for example stopping a youtube video). any ideas how to fix this?
>>
>>51758656
Install Palemoon
>>
If I my phone to my wifi, then connect to a VPN on Android. Will the android hotspot route traffic through VPN?

Will the people connecting recieve the benefits of the VPN?
>>
Well, I installed elementary OS on my netbook. Looks and runs decently well, gonna keep it around for a few days, then if it performs well enough I might stick with it, otherwise it's back to Lubuntu.

Now, does eOS have any 'must do' procedures that I should know about? Basically, any things like removing Spyware from Unity?
>>
I have a small VPS running Debian.

I'd like a VPN client that I can put on it and connect to from my Windows 7 machine.

Easy setup much preferred.
>>
How do i convert a pcf font into one that the console can use?
>>
best amd drivers on linux and how to install them? im running a sapphire dual x 280x and im on ubuntu gnome 15.10.
>>
>>51759377
bout the only "to do" on eos is sit back and wait for it to break. last I heard it was buggy as shit, and you could've just installed pantheon to get pretty much the same experience without having to reinstall. just a tip for the future, if you're thinking of switching distros for a de/wm just install it on whatever you're already running and customize it to make it your own
>>
im an archfag, someone convince me to install gentoo
>>
>>51762486
I refuse.
>>
>>51762486
I'll use the most persuasive argument I have in my arsenal
c'moooon
>>
>>51762486
why would we convince you? install it if you are interested, it's superior to arch but make your own mind up.
>>
>>51762551
>>51762543

fine i'll rephrase my request

someone please summarize the advantages of using gentoo over using arch (are there any aside from being source based)
>>
>>51762627
more flexibility, more control over almost everything (dependencies, what features packages have etc), source based, packages optimized for your hardware, superior package manager, more minimalism if that's your thing.
>>
>>51762627
more involved setup is about it, once you've got it set the way you want, one distro is pretty much the same as any other
>>
>>51762627
surely if you are considering it there are things about it you like already.
>>
I'm a total beginner, and I have a problem

I just want to shutdown my pc and unmount every drive properly

But when I try to do so, it says target busy

Now, I googled and the suggestions were to to look up processes which are impacting the drive with lsof, if I understood correctly.

The problem is, I'm on archs shitty livesystem and it doesn't have these binaries.

Now, the next thing I tried was the magic sysrequest button, but since I'm on a laptop, I can't figure out the combination.

I need to remount all drives as read only now (including my Cryptsetup device) and then shut down the pc.

I remember this being 3 lines something the like of " echo u > /proc/sysrq-trigger

Please, /g/, I just want to go to sleep, help me shut down my pc properly :/
>>
>>51762737
Is your prompt(s) in the drive location? Try cd'ing out of everything.
>>
>>51762770
Did, I exited the chroot
>>
>>51740489
Can you hook up your laptop to an Ethernet cable? If so, you can just add the nonfree repositories to your apt configuration and run apt-get update apt-get upgrade. You may have to add the testing repositories though to get newer firmware and kernel
>>
>>51750444
I refuse to run chrome. Chrome is a closed-source botnet obscenity and I will have no part of it.

I want to be able to watch netflix on Icecat, which is basically firefox just made of nothing but free software.
>>
>>51762737
Please, anyone?
I'm tired
>>
>>51762846
Impossible without using wine.
>>
>>51745887
>What Distro do you use?
Arch
Cinnamon (maximum comfy)
>What do you like most about your Distro?
The packege manager and that it's a "Only has what you put on it" distro
It's easy, really easy. Cinnamon is the most user-friendly DE I've used and I'm sure it's (one of) the easiest to use out there.
It's my primary computer. Basic web browsing mostly, listening to music, music production, video editing, photo editing, music productionediting. It does everything OS X can :^)
>>
>>51763032
photoshop
>>
>>51763059
GIMP. Everyone shits on it but it does everything I need which is basically cropping/rotating, advanced color correcting, and watermarking.

I've gotten CS5/CS4 working through wine but I got so used to GIMP that it's just what I use now.
>>
>>51763092
linux is shit long live osx
>>
>>51763164
epic
>>
Trying to install Arch to an old macbook
I managed to get rEFInd installed on it so I can boot to external devices, but for some reason the literal only live usb I've managed to get it to successfully boot is GParted. It doesn't detect the EFI files for anything else, and instead tries to boot it legacy, which fails.
How can I get this to work?
>>
>>51763006
Goddamn it.

Even if I use Random Agent Spoofer to make it think I'm on wangblows?
>>
>>51763392
No, firefox (and what you use) doesn't have the proprietary binary that netflix uses. Chrome does and firefox on windows apparently does too but understandably mozilla are a bit reluctant to provide it on linux.
>>
>>51762846
Use chromium
>>
>>51763426
>implying chromium doesn't install non free shit.
The thing needed for netflix isn't free so it comes back to the same problem he has with chrome.
>>
File: hurt.jpg (143 KB, 903x1019) Image search: [Google]
hurt.jpg
143 KB, 903x1019
>>51763417
>>51763426
>>51763446

Welp, I guess I'll go back to watching free streaming websites.

With adblock and noscript they're pretty much just as good, though finding HD streams that aren't malicious lies or not free is somewhat difficult.

TBQH I don't mind that.
>>
So, is anyone actually using Wayland? How is it?
>>
>Ubuntu set to drop Python 2 in 16.04
Why is it every time I think Ubuntu is on track to a really great release, they do something ass-backwards retarded? Perhaps someone agrees with this move and can tell me why?
>>
File: gnome-sidebar.png (63 KB, 276x956) Image search: [Google]
gnome-sidebar.png
63 KB, 276x956
How can I get more things to appear in the sidebar in Gnome?

Basically I would like everything in "Other Locations" to be in the sidebar, like physical drives and network locations. I'd also like a link to my home server folders to be in the sidebar.

Is there a shell extension that does this?

Also, anyone use Dash-to-Dock for Gnome? Is there a way to have a preview pop up when you hover over a program that has multiple windows open? Something like what Windows 7 does.

For example; two windows are open in Chrome, I just hover over the Chrome icon and previews for each window pop up above it, and allow me to select which one to open.
>>
I have this ASUS EEEpc 1201HA netbook that I want to install Linux in.
What distro do you guys recommend? I'm an absolute beginner, but I understand that there are hardware compatibility issues on Linux.
If not possible, would like to get directions on where can I find the best beginner-friendly distro for my machine.
Thanks in advance.
>>
>>51756277
>>51756856
Don't listen to these assholes that will delete your root directory.
>>
I have a new hard drive coming in soon. In arch, am I right in assuming i just have to format and partition the drive as /home like in a regular install and all is good? Or am I missing something?
>>
>>51764827
any distro will run fine on that, pick what you want
>>
>>51764997
I did some research on the Mint and Ubuntu webpages, and I can't find my model on their hardware lists. Are you sure about this?
>>
>>51764937
if you want it to be your /home, yea

basically, something like;
1. boot into single user mode ("single" as a kernel parameter), this will get you to a root shell with minimal things started, and won't mount /home
2. partition and format the new disk
3. copy the contents of the existing /home to the new disk
4. unmount the existing /home, if the existing /home isn't a seperate partition, delete the contents, you need an empty folder to mount to
5. add (or change) an entry in your fstab for mounting /home from the new disk
6. reboot (or you can mount the new home and exit single user mode, but this won't test that the fstab is correct)
>>
>>51765091
yes, i'm not saying your hardware will work 100% (i don't know), but the best way to find out is to just try it

eeepc's are far from exotic hardware, there's a good chance it'll all just werk, or require only minimal changes
>>
>>51765109
Ok then, i'm downloading Mint and will dual boot for a while until I can get everything straight. Thanks.
>>
>>51765098
That's what I thought. What's the current meme on the swap partition? It's on ssd right now because there's nowhere else for it, but I've heard different things on putting it on the hdd.
>>
Is the colliding galaxies screensaver still a thing in Linux?
>>
>>51740569
Genius.
Good thought with the ftp mirror.
>>
This thread is slow as fuck, moved to >>51765920
>>
>>51765933
What was the point of your starting a new thread when this one hasn't even reached bump limit yet? How do you expect that one to be any faster?
>>
>>51765933
>not enough people in one thread
>lets split them in two
that'll only make both even slower, dumbass
>>
>>51765933
kill yourself you fucking idiot
>>
What are the best set of fonts for use in Firefox and Linux Mint?

Doesn't matter if they're free or paid
>>
>>51739055
So is Infinality/Infinality-Ultimate still the best way to go for font rendering? Is there a better solution on Gentoo?
>>
>>51766596
>>51767080
Are the current fonts literally burning holes into your eyes? No? Then either you can stop fiddling the fonts, or you go to the desktop thread for ricing advice.
>>
>>51764556
I think they are hardcoded to nautilus, so not much you can do outside editing the source and compiling.
You could use nemo, which is a fork of nautilus from cinnamon, it has all the removed features, like editing the sidebar..
>>
>>51767080
You only need a few fonts and a sensible config.
>>
New Thread

>>51765920

>>51765920

>>51765920
>>
>>51770096
This one isn't dead imbecile.
>>
File: Untitled.png (81 KB, 382x341) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
81 KB, 382x341
What do these voltages do and are they worth increasing for my overclock
>>
>>51770373
don't do it if you don't know what they do as you'll cook your GPU.
>>
>>51762417
Late as FUCK, but I needed to do a reinstall anyways, since I was on Lubuntu 15.04 and I would've updated to 15.10 regardless.

So Yeah, you could say that I'm distro hopping right now.

Anyways, eos feels decent right now. Midori works somewhat well, don't even feel like installing anything else.
I rather like the bling, though some of it is a bit excessive.
pre-installed software is weak as shit though. There's rather little of it. Lubuntu at the very least came with Abiword from the box, this has nothing. Just a little bit of work that could've been avoided. And naturally it feels a bit more quirky, right click accomplishes a whole lot of nothing, but I guess that just comes with the experience.
>>
How to build chromium without the now permanent sign in avatar button?
Pre 47 ver.
>>
how common is malware, do I have to worry the binary is malicious on linux like I do on windows?
>>
>>51771127
No.
>>
tell me guise how can i hack the gibson
>>
File: mule.jpg (25 KB, 500x300) Image search: [Google]
mule.jpg
25 KB, 500x300
Hehe . . . meme
>>
>>51770617
bumping
>>
>>51747399
>antergos
>stability
bwhahahaha
>shitpost
got that right
>>
>>51751320
great! version 42
>>
File: 2015-12-08-193453_782x68_scrot.png (10 KB, 782x68) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-08-193453_782x68_scrot.png
10 KB, 782x68
>>51774869
What do you expect? He's an antergos user
>>
File: 1435796311773.jpg (71 KB, 500x262) Image search: [Google]
1435796311773.jpg
71 KB, 500x262
Alright, so, I have been fighting with samba for a week now. It's getting fucking frustrating.

I have a home server with Fedora 23 Server running on it. I have samba installed and running. I have my smb.conf correct and it tests fine with testparm. I also have the firewall set up to allow samba and samba-client through, including the ports.

But I can't fucking see it from any computer on the network. I can't even remote desktop or ssh into it. I can administer it using Cockpit just fine, which is what I have been using to work on this. But it will not show up.

What am I missing. At this point it has to be something incredibly stupid.
Thread replies: 243
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.