[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Audiophile/Hi-Fi talk.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9
File: la9_enl.jpg (37 KB, 533x400) Image search: [Google]
la9_enl.jpg
37 KB, 533x400
The non-golden ear'ed and "audio scientists" need not apply.

I also hope everyone serious about their system has isolated their components using Stillpoints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NdpLAeZvEs

Used them on my Mark Levinson and my MBL Corona transport, and WOW. Faster decay on the drums, less bloom in the mid-range, and more air in the soundstage.

Highly recommended.
>>
what the fuck kind of audiophile are you when you didn't DIY speakers?
>>
>>51738794

DIY is snake oil garbage.

Do you have an anechoic chamber to quality test your work after assembly? State-of-art measurement gear? Was your kit engineered via CAD, to ensure the drivers, crossover, and cabinet "match?"
>>
This made a big difference in my system

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-116783-shunyata-venom-ps8-power-distribution-strip.aspx?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=152906041490&gclid=CPCfns6_yskCFURqfgodz-MO7w
>>
FLAC or die
>>
>2015
>Not owning a 9000.00 power strip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yHFqYPda00
>>
>not owning studio monitors
>>
>>51738757
this is a load of shit
"everybody can hear the difference"
loaded questions, telling people what they should hear, and bandwagon approach.
This is basic trickery seen in scams like palm reading, psychics, homeopathy, wine tasting, and any other snake oil.
watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdcG7PlkAg0
and read
http://www.head-fi.org/t/486598/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths
certain speaker systems truly sound better, but there comes a point when pissing money on stabilizers is useless.
still not convinced
http://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/confirmation_bias.htm
>>
File: 1425598526284.gif (19 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1425598526284.gif
19 KB, 300x300
>>51739679
What the fuck man
>>
>>51738943
>anechoic chamber
>State-of-art measurement gear
You don't need that shit. You can buy a calibrated measurement mic for <$50 and measure outside in free space. In fact all you need are in room measurements because that's the only place they'll need to perform

Many do use CAD, and crossover design isn't hard if you passed EE 101. Yes this includes bafflestep compensation, filtering, and constant directivity correction.

>I can't do thing
>this means others can't either
>>
>>51739703
OPs post is satire anon but you are right.
That's a really good link to the blind and abx testing, haven't seen it posted here before.

How does somebody get into making speakers and amps and DACs and selling them? I would absolutely love to be able to make cheap shit that sounds the same as expensive shit and sell it for cheap.
>>
>>51739897
>>>/diyaudio/
http://www.linkwitzlab.com/frontiers.htm

Diyaudio is like the only place that doesn't take bullshit. Head-fi and innerfidelity are absolute garbage
>>
>>51739804

>Trusting those shitty mics

In any event, I don't have time to DIY. I have money, so I can buy speakers from manufactures who build with the most exacting standards and tolerances, and I get all the great stuff that comes along with that like a warranty and customer service.

Point me to JBL Everest DIY kit?

You can't. DIY'er are basically stuck with 70's monkey coffin designs and Linkwitz trash.
>>
File: image_28.jpg (17 KB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
image_28.jpg
17 KB, 512x288
Do you placebofags really need to post on /g/?

Why not post on /mu/?
>>
>>51740146
Monthly reminder 4chan doesn't save post count.

You wont get your "cocksucker diamond" rank here bud

also
>/mu/
ayy
>>
>>51740206
That's not why I tripfag.

I seriously think all this placebo shit belongs in /mu/ though.
>>
>>51740001
>shitty.
You really don't know what you're talking about. As long as its calibrated and you know it's polar pattern you'll be fine.

Audio isn't some super sekrit black art, you can literally buy books on audio engineering and theory. I remember seeing a build log for a clone of the Bowers in the OP. Those crazy horn setups /g/ makes fun of are all diy. If you could source the driver's you COULD clone the JBL Everest's.

Your missing the point of Do It Yourself if you want a fucking JBL Ikea kit. You personally don't have the time, obviously it's not for you. Part of the point is designing state of the art equipment yourself because you like being challenged
>>
File: placebobottles.jpg (15 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
placebobottles.jpg
15 KB, 200x200
Placebo: the thread
>>
>>51740316
>Part of the point is designing state of the art equipment yourself because you like being challenged

Obviously, but I have other interests I like to challenge myself with.

In the realm of audio, I pay for another's effort in the challenging of themselves.

I get you're against "Big Audio" and their insanely high markups, but you have internet direct retailers like Philharmonic, Ascend, Rythmik, etc that make great products.
>>
>>51740359

>He doesn't have golden ears.
>>
>>51740359
Cables, overpriced amps, vinyls, 192/24 etc are placebo but speakers, no.
>>
>>51740553
Not after 20 years old you ignorant niger.
>>
File: mikro-pebbles.jpg (28 KB, 510x342) Image search: [Google]
mikro-pebbles.jpg
28 KB, 510x342
Has anyone gotten brilliant pebbles here? I ordered mine yesterday and I'm eagerly waiting for them to arrive.
>>
>>51739679

I bought one.

Dark Side, for instance, went from boring studio precision to ethereal. The instrumentation seemed to "float" through space rather than muddily hang.

The improvement is equally as striking on headphones (I have Abyss).
>>
>>
>>51738757
That video certainly rustled my jimmies, anon. I want to find this faggot and uppercut his nutsack.
>>
>>51740718

Nice. Heard them in use at show. You won't be disappointed.

They absorbed latent frequency and energy, which increases transient response and attack. Percussion heavy music is a new experience. Nearly holographic.
>>
>>51739679
>that construction

holy fuck literally looks DIY tier
>>
>>51740835
>cellfag detected
>>
>>51740146
>>51740299
It's just a troll thread you dumbass. Granted shitposting, even if it's ironic is still bad.
>>
File: the audiophile experience.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
the audiophile experience.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>
>>51740921
>Nearly holographic.
>using visual effects to describe a sound
>rocks in a fucking bag

fucking wow
i seriously hope this thread is trolling
>>
File: 1393617309066.jpg (26 KB, 251x298) Image search: [Google]
1393617309066.jpg
26 KB, 251x298
>he doesn't shop for the best match of drivers
>he doesn't build a box to spec
>he doesn't build a crossover to the best possible xover points
>he doesn't measure his speaker fr until its flat as a ruler
This site is full of fucking autist who will never graduate from bookshelf speakers, let alone Logitech speakers
>>
File: 1444262351674.png (455 KB, 698x628) Image search: [Google]
1444262351674.png
455 KB, 698x628
>>51739679
>>
>>51741056
I don't know anon. Poe's law can be a bitch.
>>
>>51741067

People without golden ears will never know that feel.
>>
How much of an increase in room response would I get if I got some cheap ''acoustic foam'' pads and bass traps from amazon? I know rockwool and rigid fiberglass DIY is the way to go but I don't want to deal with mineral wool and I can't find rigid fiberglass in my area.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.