[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the general opinion on Clojure, /g/? I want to know if
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: Clojure-Logo.png (36 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Clojure-Logo.png
36 KB, 500x500
What is the general opinion on Clojure, /g/? I want to know if I made a mistake buying an introduction book.
>>
>buying a book
>>
>>51736604
I can't focus on reading online books.
>>
>>51736625
I thought I was the only one. Dead tree books are much more captivating. When you read on a computer your mind veers off and you suddenly find yourself on 4chan again.
>>
>>51736579
Clojure is not a Lisp.
>>
>>51736625
Closing everything besides the PDF viewer helps a lot.
>>
>>51736579
>Clojure
Scala is better, to be honest
>>
use kawa scheme if you want lisp and jvm
>>
File: 1432449566151.jpg (311 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1432449566151.jpg
311 KB, 640x1136
>>51736579
Even I'm currently learning clojure as my first programming language and want to get into clojurescript and om next. I'm also very exited about it.
It feels like it's the most awesome /g/ meme language.
>it's a lisp
> it's functional
> based on jvm which is used everywhere

The main reasons I'm learning clojure is I belive in rich hickey. His speeches make ejaculate. And I belive that in the next year's jvm is going to be more advanced and fast and clojure by version 2.0 is going to be one of the best designed languages ever.
>>
>>51736579
I'm reading through Clojure for the Brave and True myself. You should totally learn it OP.
>all the good points of the JVM
>lisp syntax instead of Java diarrhea
>>
>paying money to books
ahahahahahahahah what a faggot
>>
>>51737442
nice memey, tripping brosef :^) at least I'm not a poorfag trolling on 4chan for attention
>>51737309
Good idea, though I very often catch myself on having to check about some thing I don't understand and spending next 4 hours on tagging music and shitposting on online pee enthusiast forum.
>fuck non-run-on sentences
>>51737417
Any tips for reading a book designed for experienced programmers? I think I made a mistake not checking out the contents first.
>>
File: 20151207_231441.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20151207_231441.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
>>51737553
Clojure in action and clojure cookbook will set you off. And also try to learn development with om next which is awesome.
All the go and rust faggots are going to die.
>>
>>51737696
Is it okay to have these books as sort of an assistance to the main book?
>>
>>51737879
There is no main book. Clojure for brave is the one that's now free to read and gets you through all the basic and reading these books will set you to be very good at clojure. But books ain't better than trying to make stuff.
Check out 4clojure.org and when you finish it and you are ready to go.

And also my request it to spread it to as many people as possible. I can't belive such a great language getting such less shilling in /g/. Maybe it's because of no multi billion dollar company backing it.
But ll the intelligent fucks at other companies already started using clojure.
So hope it becomes very good at in future.
>>
>>51736579

I was literally going to make a thread for this but I'll ask here.

F# vs clojure. What's /g/'s opinion? I want to start learning one.
>>
>>51737345
>Scala is better, to be honest

How so? I'm genuinely curios because I hear so many great things about Lisp (even though it looks awful with all those parenthesis) and hear that Scala is quiet complex. With Java evolving and adding nice features what will Scala's niche be?
At least Clojure is dynamic and functional, LISP-like etc.
>>
>>51738290
Clojure if you want to make anything that's worthful.
F# if you wanna just play around
>>51738334
The advantage of scala is its like water and java is like milk. You can add them and it still looks like milk at the end.
But I personally think clojure is going to be the next best thing seeing the evolution of jvm and clojure. It just needs to get a little faster with more basic tutorial
>>
>>51738453

What are your thoughts on F#?

What is Clojure even used for anyway? I've seen job posts, to my surprise there are quiet a few.

Will I get past the parenthesis phobia? I honestly think it looks fugly and brings a lot of confusion.
>>
>>51738487

Will someone answer?
>>
>>51738487
>>51738656
Look anon I'm going to give you a life advice .
Learn clojure.
It's going to be hard but 'easy things are easy, hard things are possible'
It will have a huge impact on you.
It will change the way you see programming and give you more skill.
F# is not worth it because there is not much effort put into it and there is no future for it .
>>
>>51738961
>and there is no future for it .

Why do you think that?
>>
>>51738487
F# is actually kind of sexy. Would pick over Clojure (Scala over both).
>>
Scala is superior. Lisps are nice though. I like Scheme.
>>
>>51739224
>>51739377

Why would you pick Scala over Clojure or vice-versa? Do they overlap or are they used separately for different tasks?
>>
>>51740271
Always clojure. Because scala is complex as fuck.
>>
>>51741305
Agreed. I initially went with Scala a few years back and spent a while immersing myself in a few small- and mid-sized projects. Should have called it quits and switched to Clojure much sooner.

>>51738487
>What is Clojure even used for anyway?
All sorts of things. Apparently including banking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lm3K8zVOdY
>>
>>51740271
Scala has the bizzare object-functional mindset.

Some people feel it's versatile while others feel it's overly complex. Regardless, it may be useful to learn because it's a hot language for a few niche applications. Big data analytics with apache spark is one that I've encountered.
>>
>>51738199
It's because it runs on the JVM, and /g/ has an irrational hatred of all JVM languages thanks to the pain and anguish caused by Oracle Java NPAPI plugins on Windows.
>>
File: 1448735377538.png (117 KB, 763x652) Image search: [Google]
1448735377538.png
117 KB, 763x652
>>51737696
>taking a photograph of the screen
>current year
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.