[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: myhc_30431.jpg (24 KB, 490x270) Image search: [Google]
myhc_30431.jpg
24 KB, 490x270
Post question, answer question and give advice.
>>
>>51736326

Anyone know F#? Should I learn it, will it impress HR?
>>
>>51736345

Learn about automatons and grammar.
>>
>>51736354

I already did that. I'll graduate soon with a CS degree.
>>
>>51736359

Honestly I think I'll choose Clojure. It seems it has some industry adoption, much more than F# and it works on top of the JVM. But I much rather preferred ML style though.
>>
>>51736359

>CS degree

I'm so, so sorry.

just kidding mate, I'm very so so so so so sorry.
>>
>>51736425
>I'm so, so sorry.

Why? The degree is very useful and school has helped me learn a lot. Without the scare of exams I wouldn't have learned the more difficult stuff.

Also, I payed around 2000EUR in total for everything.
>>
>>51736326
Front end web dev here. CSS , HTML, jQuery + JavaScript. (+ photoshop)

Been doing this along with a bunch of design work for going on 2 years now, designing sites, banners, logos etc. I really want more though, in my country PHP is in high demand and well paying. As a backend language I know that if, memes aside, you use it correctly its totally fine. I see alot of hate here for PHP specifically, and any kind of web dev in general.

Honestly I like the mix of dev with design, but I'm feeling more and more pull to get that backend under my belt. Holding a 9-5 job then going home and learning more is brutal. I've got a few ideas for phone apps, is PHP worth it? Do I just grind away my nights learning it or go for something more fresh like Python?

TL;DR: Is there a light at the end of my tunnel? Is PHP going to die out in the next few years? Python looks like fun.
>>
>>51736486

I hear PHP is getting better and better due to community effort. If it's in high demand (it is everywhere) and you like it, there's no reason not to learn it due to its shady past. There are also good frameworks.

>I've got a few ideas for phone apps, is PHP worth it?

Unless you plan on doing web apps or working with some multi platform stuff (which I don't recommend) you can't use PHP.

I'm doing android at the moment and I can tell you it's sort of difficult, at least getting started with. Of course if you've done iOS in the past then it might not be difficult.

PHP and Python aren't going anywhere but you kinda need to pick your platform. You can either go with the PHP ecosystem or with the Python one. Doing both is not worth it since in the web sphere they overlap and you might as well get really good with one.
>>
>>51736486
>PHP
>phone apps
You can't write phone apps in PHP, as in "you can't write the code that will actually run on the phone". If you want to just create some simple app that will talk to a server that does most of the work, then yeah, PHP for the server-side can be OK.
>>
>>51736525
Yeah, I kinda needed someone to confirm. Thanks man.

>>51736667
Yes, since backend is the only thing I miss I guessed at using the LAMP stack for my databases and PHP scripts to get data. The visuals and interactivity I'm already pretty good at.

I love you senpai.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.