[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Inb4 /g/ is not your personal tech support, yea I know but this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20151207_042713_390.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151207_042713_390.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
Inb4 /g/ is not your personal tech support, yea I know but this shit had gone on long enough.

This piece of shit is an Asus Z97-A that won't post. DRAM LED is always lit. Only other LED that is on is the power LED. Pic is the cpu pins. They look fine to me. CPU I'm using is an i7 4790. Yea locked processor with a Z97, I know. It was on sell. RAM I'm using is 2x4gb Gskill Ripjaw X 2133 XMP. I've reseated the shit several times. No luck. I've got the mobo benched on the box using onboard video, so no chance of shortages from standoffs.

Anyone have any idea what I should try next?
>>
Also, cleared CMOS as well as tried the jumper reset. Didn't work either.
>>
Assuming you're not totally stupid (you don't sound stupid) and plugged in everything correctly, I'd say it's either a faulty PSU or the mobo is dead. Has either one worked in the past or is it all new parts?
>>
>>51733469
Everything works with my old mobo/cpu just fine. No problems with the other parts. Just this board. I have not used the i7 before so I don't know if that could be it either.
>>
>>51733490
So just the mobo and cpu are new? Any way to get your hands on another compatible mobo or cpu from a buddy to narrow it down? If not, at this point, I'd RMA the mobo.

The thing is if you have several new parts going up all at once and you can't fix the problem, you need to switch out components one by one starting with the most likely perpertrator. If you can't, gotta RMA instead. I'd start with the mobo. If you can still get your money back maybe even switch model/brand. But I had PSUs acting up as well.
>>
>>51733543
I already put in an RMA request and was approved. I just wanted to see if there was anything else I could do before sending it off. I'm the only person around this area that doesn't own a Mac so there isn't much chance to borrow squat.
>>
>>51733543
sorry, i didn't read thoroughly. yeah, dead mobo or psu/mobo compatibility issue for some reason i'd say if the i7 worked in the past.

i dunno, check again using just one ram stick at a time and try all slots too?
>>
you could try running memtest if you have a working system just to make sure it's not that. but chance is slim i'd say.

what's the psu btw?
>>
>>51733573
Tried all slots with one working stick. Nothing.
>>51733594
Memtest yields no results. PSU is a working EVGA 550 GS.
>>
>>51733621
you sir, have a dead motherboard. seriously, you did everything you could. send that shit in or try to exchange it for a different brand one if you have a good dealer and you're pissed at asus.
>>
>>51733660
I don't blame Asus for a DOA. I think it's pretty shitty when people leave negative feedback from an unfortunately common problem. But for the sake of avoiding a repeated incident, what mobo do you guys recommend?
>>
>>51733684
Maybe Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3? At first glance I/O seems pretty much identical. Don't know about fan headers. It's costs a bit less here.
>>
>>51733731
I'll consider it if you don't have anything a bit more conservative in looks. Don't care for black and red color schemes. I was trying to compliment some noctuas, hence the brass mobo.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.