[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Python a good programming language?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2
File: python-programming.jpg (24 KB, 960x500) Image search: [Google]
python-programming.jpg
24 KB, 960x500
I am thinking about starting to learn Python. Does /g/ think that it's a good programming language?
>>
>>51732148
It's nice if you don't have to worry about devouring system resources or making an efficient program.
>>
>>51732148
INSTALL GENTOO AND FUCK OFF /g/ FAGGOT YES PYTHON IS A GOOD LANGUAGE FOR RETARDS LIKE YOU NOW FUCK OFF
>>
It's good for beginners. If you're looking to get a job with it, look elsewhere.
>>
>>51732154
So you're saying that Python is a 'system intensive' language? Like Java?
>>
>>51732159
Back to /b/
>>
It's good to start with, but I don't think it's a GOAT language.
>>
File: 1447311280694.jpg (24 KB, 480x687) Image search: [Google]
1447311280694.jpg
24 KB, 480x687
>>51732154
This, its good for small stuff, but making anything big in it is retarted
>>
Python is a compiled language, which means that it is much faster than interpreted (crap) languages like C++ and JavaScript. You can't go wrong with it.
>>
>>51732359
This is troll
>>
>>51732368
No shit. Ignore that bastard and go on with your life. why bring attention to him? That's what he wants, hes a piece of shit that has nothing better to do with his life than to shitpost on a mongolian barbeque forum hoping for replies. Ignore him nd he might fuck off.
>>
>>51732410
>being this mad

maybe it's time for a break anon
>>
>>51732161
Can a beginner get into php just for the sake of getting a job as fast as possible?

inb4 bait, Im actually considering this so I could get some side shekels from web dev shit until I master a real programming language
>>
>>51732423
There is a nonzero chance that learning php will taint your mind and render you useless for other programming.
>>
>>51732423
There are actually lots of jobs you can get with Python. Any job you get with PHP is probably going to be low-paying and shitty
>>
>>51732162
Not that guy, but Python can hog up your resources really easily if you have no idea wtf you're doing.
But overall it is a nice language that works cross-platform and doesn't need a compiler so you can test and distribute your things right away.
>>
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to Python: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.
>>
>>51732161
>If you're looking to get a job with it, look elsewhere.
Nah. There are loads of jobs that involve Python, especially in webdev and non-CS STEM fields.

>>51732423
Only try to get a php job if you're a hardcore masochist. It's a terrible language in a thousand ways, and it's one of the languages that's completely flooded with super-cheap Indians. You'd most likely be both a codemonkey and trying to undercut curryniggers.
>>
>>51732459
Nice meme.
>>
You're procrastinating.
>>
It's okay, but unlike many other languages which use braces and semicolons. the indentation will mess with you, but overall it's ecent practise at least.
>>
>>51732477
There may be a lot of jobs for Python, but there are a lot more for Java, JS, C, PHP, etc.
>>
>>51732499
>repurposed quote about BASIC from 1975 because Python is the new BASIC
>meme
Dumb kid.
>>
>>51732514
There are also a lot more people who know those other languages.
>>
>>51732514
Sure, but once you learn Python you're in a good place to learn more imperative languages. It's a good place to start and is also useful in and of itself.
>>
>>51732522
Python is nothing like BASIC, thanks for trying though
>>
>>51732148
>Does /g/ think that it's a good programming language?
When someone asks this, I always wonder what they mean by "good". I guess asking this question is a consequence of not knowing what you don't know. What is good when it comes to programming languages? All languages were developed to satisfy some requirement that was not fulfilled by current languages - or at least that's what the developers were thinking at the time. In this sense, when comparing languages, any language can be "good", "bad", "better" or "worse", when you compare it to some other language. It all depends on what you need to do, what kind of machine are you using, etc.
>>
>>51732522
I know exactly what it is. That mutation of the Dijkstra quote is used nonstop as a zero-effort response in any discussion about the merits of Python by people who are too stupid to articulate why they don't like it. At this point, it's a meme.
>>
>>51732557
Holy shit the autism

Thankfully autists make good programmers
>>
>>51732544
>newline marking the end of a statement
>ass-backwards syntax
>OO bullshit integrated into the core language makes unmaintainable spaghetti code like classic BASIC's lack of any way to avoid spaghetti code
>advocates lazy coding and lack of sense of resources and programmer responsibility
It is.
>>
>>51732435
that combined with what >>51732477 said sounds fairly bad

>>51732442
what should I look for if I wanted to get a python job? could you please just vastly describe the most common python jobs?
>>
>>51732601
>could you please just vastly describe the most common python jobs?
a lot of web bullshit
>>
>>51732161
Python is one of the most common languages in job announcements where I live. Java is probably the only language that is more often requested. Python is also lingua franca in science programming.
>>
>>51732606
>a lot of web bullshit
sounds fairly easy for an experienced professional, though it sounds like the perfect entry for me as an unxperienced beginner. Is this correct?
>>
Python is great, especially if you dont have much experience
If you dont know how to use SQL i would reccomend learning SQL and python at the same time
Learn python 2
Learn sqlite
It will be easy and youll be able to make CLI apps in a matter of days
When youre done, learn something that has more power, once you have a grasp on sql you will want to keep using it, so Java, I guess
Or you can keep using python and learn to use tkinter or gtk for GUI applications
make sure you run your code in the right python interpreter, python 2 code wont work with python 3
>>
>>51732690
>gtk
gtk or qt?
and why?

I'm a bit curious about why is qt considered better by far from filthy-casual-gtk, though I wont ask this question as I'm 200% sure I'd just be memed by some shitposter from /furry/
>>
>>51732171
>implying he ain't no right
>>
>>51732794
depends on your OS and it also depends on your other programming languages
You could google it, but I seem to remember that gtk is great for C and qt for C++ and Java

After a quick google I also saw that there is a gtk vs qt wiki page that answers your questions

In my opinion, save your GUI efforts for something else than python
Java and swing are a nice match if you like GUI's
>>
>>51732882
I see, thanks anon
>>
>>51732423
Can a beginner get into php just for the sake of getting a job as fast as possible?

Go for it, but PHP and JS are shitty langs tho. You seriously risk to stuck with their crap for the rest of your life.
>>
>>51732148
>Does /g/ think that it's a good programming language?

Yes. Python and Ruby are neat!
>>
>>51732148
The language is OK-tier for a dynamic language targeted at shell scripting and embedded scripting.
However, the implementation is poor craftsmanship and no other implementation changes that, yet.
>>
>>51732148
it's not a programming language, but a scripting one. However, it's really good at what it does. A little bit slow tho. Great for learning.
tl;dr: do it, OP; you won't regret.
>>
>>51732159
Well meme'd! :^)
>>
Just learn lisp.
When learning lisp, you learn about programming rather than the language itself since the syntax is practically nonexistent.
>>
It's pretty good and there are so many nice libraries that you'll always find yourself using it for something. The scientific libraries are sweet.
>>
>>51732148
>I am thinking about starting to learn Python. Does /g/ think that it's a good programming language?
I think it's a acceptable beginner programming language. You can move to greener pastures after you get basics down.
>>
Yes. Good first language. Would recommend C++ after you have grasped the basic concepts of Obejct oriented programming. (Yes python is oo)
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.