[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You guys ever done anything cool with NFC?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
File: buy-nfc-tag-stickers-small.jpg (37 KB, 225x223) Image search: [Google]
buy-nfc-tag-stickers-small.jpg
37 KB, 225x223
You guys ever done anything cool with NFC?
>>
>>51731930

I paid for food at McDonalds and a Slurpee at 7-11. The NFC payment thing at 7-11 stopped working, though, and they've made zero effort to fix it in over a year.
>>
I have a tag under my desk so when I set my phone down it turns off mobile data and turns on Wi-Fi

Another tag on my nightstand silences my phone when I set it there for the night

Tags under the palmrests in my laptops turn on my phone's Bluetooth and create a PAN when I tap my phone to it
>>
>>51732130
Is this an actual thing or are you just being a smartass?

Because they are a fantastic fucking idea. Imagine selling these stickers on the web for like $20 each. Fuck id buy it. I bet theyd cost like 8cents to make aswell.
>>
>>51732130
Thats pretty cool anon
>>
>>51732168
Been researching NFC for the past few hours.
For one, certain phone OSes don't allow third party apps to modify system settings

In Windows Phone, you can't use NFC tags to turn on/off WiFi, etc. because of those security concerns. You can however open up the appropriate settings window to turn it off yourself.

You're late to the bandwagon by a few years m8
>>
>>51732168
the stickers are less than a dollar each, available all over the internet
>>
>>51732168
...it's a common thing to do.
>>
>>51732130
That is amazing anon
>>
>>51732168(me)

>>51732203
Yeah, same. I did a quick search on the tech and they seem very promising.

I can imagine a punch card system for shift workers using this.

Yeah the first thought I had would be all the security concerns but once android plugs the holes I think that it would add alot of great functionality. And no doubt apple will follow suit. Heck even if they used biometric scanners to authorize the 3rd party apps once they're deemed safe I feel like that would solve alot of problems.

>>51732223
Slap an apple logo and youi could sell them for like $50 each. I can absolutely picture this happening. Macfags in starbucks. Simply tap the phone or laptop on the nrc sticker and instantly connected to the wifi, make your order at a cafe or night club using a phone app, tap the nrc on the register, or even slide your phone over the stickers with the photos of the drink you want and hit purchase.
>>
>>51731930
I once shoved a phone with NFC up my ass, that was pretty cool.
>>
>>51732378
>Simply tap the phone or laptop on the nrc sticker and instantly connected to the wifi,
Sounds like too much work..

As opposed to just having an unsecured wifi connection ?

I don't know what planet you guys are on, but phones these days automatically connect to any saved wifi networks as soon as you are within range, there is no need for this extra step of tapping your phone while at work or some shit.
>>
>>51731930
I've been using NFC payments everyday for the last 13-14 months or so.
>>
>>51731930
Using e-amusement pass.
>>
I use NFC to share stuff to someone else's device when available. It's pretty neat, I guess.
>>
>>51731930
I once connected to someone else's portable speaker through it.
>>
>>51732378
>Slap an apple logo and youi could sell them for like $50 each.
You can't do anything with nfc on iPhones. iphones 6 onward have an nfc antenna but it's crippled for using only for apple pay. Only android/WP have open NFC API.
>>
>>51732896
>Only android/WP have open NFC API
>>51732130 here, I use BB10OS
>>
>>51732917
Go back to bed gramps
>>
>>51733006
I'm 19
>>
>>51732130
>Tags under the palmrests in my laptops turn on my phone's Bluetooth and create a PAN when I tap my phone to it
I've seen roughly this same sentence posted many many many times before. Is it a pasta or do you just post the same thing in every NFC thread?
>>
>>51731930
I used it to get on the rides faster at disney
and employees can see my name on a screen when I approach them
>>
>>51735191
although I suspect that to be rfid for the long range stuff like disney tracking me
>>
>>51732589
YOu know you can disable Wifi to make battery life longer...
>>
Does enabling NFC use up any power?
I thought it would be a waste of energy to always have NFC enabled so I can tap it on NFC tags.
But if I have to turn it on for every use, then I might as well perform the action manually.
>>
>>51732130
Do you have an open-source app for this?
>>
>place nfc tag on the inside of a small device, right where the battery is
>it doesn't work
>take battery out
>it works perfectly fine

battery confirmed for interfering with NFC tag, even when device is turned off
>>
>>51731930
i made an app in android... the protocol is fun tbqh
>>
i cloned the card of open the door in my work. and you can hack public transport in chile.
>>
>>51731930
I've seen people use it to steal money from new credit cards>>51731944
>>
>Paid in a store with it
>Connected to a camera
>Used an app to demo the vulnerabilities of the current public transport card system to get a free ride

And now I have a phone without NFC and I don't think I'm missing something.
>>
>>51732542

underrated post
>>
I was going to make a mockery of the nfc toys but I simply could not be bothered to screw around with android enough to unlock sufficient access to the nfc.
the read/writers also seem to be overpriced for what will essentially be a screwing around hobby.

I already have most of the research data including the stuff that was c&d'ed into oblivion.
>>
>>51735901

Did you know you can literally take it off and place it anywhere you want as long as it's within 10 cm from the phone? That's why it's called NFC. They just place those stickers there so they won't get lost or accidentally removed.
>>
There is an app for reading bank cards and one for passports.
>>
>>51735829
Check F-Droid. I remember one but I've forgotten the name though sorry.
>>
>>51732168
On android tasker does the job (rooted only i think) or if you are on cyanogenmod > 13.0 go to settings/profiles

On ios... Nah ios sucks
>>
>>51735314
Yeah or to prevent evilap attacks or to prevent shopping malls to track you... Holy shit im not gonna enable wifi again. Someone into microusb ethernet cards?
>>
>>51731930
Used it as a logbook and a toggle switch for my Bluetooth in my car and my wifi at home
>>
>>51735019
I post in NFC threads
>>
>>51735829
I use BB10OS, there's a built in NFC app. Not sure about Android
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.