[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck Dell
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: 2015-12-07-012711_1371x894_scrot.png (192 KB, 1371x1265) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-07-012711_1371x894_scrot.png
192 KB, 1371x1265
Dell is literally putting mobile CPUs in desktops and pricing them as if they wern't and even going so far as to labeling them as a "gaming PC"

My little cousin came to me telling about this awesome desktop he bought on Cyber Monday for gaming. It was prebuilt so I already assumed it was shit but i figured since he got it at a discount the price/performance ratio couldn't be to awful.

THEN I LOOK AT THE SPECS AND IT HAS A FUCKING AMD A-10 8700P APU. A MOBILE LAPTOP CPU/APU

What /g/ think about this? Even though this is one of the latest and most powerful mobile/laptop AMD CPU's, how will it or can it perform in the desktop world compared to other actual Desktop CPUs?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-3656-desktop/pd?oc=ddccz301hw10&model_id=inspiron-3656-desktop

or

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-3656-desktop/pd?oc=ddccz303hw10&model_id=inspiron-3656-desktop
>>
>>51731362
its not that uncommon.

there was a model of alienware made years ago that had an Intel i7-3690k, 32gb of RAM, a 500gb HDD, and an Nvidia GT555 1gb

sold for like 2100 dollars or some shit
>>
>>51731526
Forgetting about the price, how do they perform? Because i can only imagine a laptop CPU performing awfully on a Desktop.
>>
>>51731563
Considering how people game on laptops it should be fine for most games but you might want to upgrade the GPU.
>>
>>51731563
my brother uses a lenovo with a mobile i5 5200U dual core and an 820gt-M as his main computer. He only plays simple games so it's enough for him, but it was overpriced for the specs.
>>
>>51731633
>>51731588
That interesting. I'm just in awe at the fact that Dell has an Inspiron desktop model with an intel i5 Desktop CPU and it is priced $100 lower then a different model Inspiron Desktop with an AMD Laptop/mobile CPU.
>>
I actually has
>AMD Radeon R9 360 2GB DDR5

though, not just the APU
>>
at least it looks cool
>>
I hope Apple sues Dell for copying them.
>>
Dell is beholden to their shareholders. They're not your friends.
That APU will perform better in gaming than nearly all of Dell's other offerings. It's not their job to hold your hand and tell you that if you added a $80 discrete card to a cheaper build you could get 2.5X the performance.
>>
>>51731766
>AMD Radeon R9 360 2GB DDR5

>$100 GPU makes it justified

no
>>
>FX-8800P
>8 core
I think I'll be nice and contact Dell about that wrong info.
>>
>>51731362
Maybe now your little cousin will actually grow out of video games instead of spending all his money on a "gaming pc"
>>
There are actually a lot of mobile chips that perform just as well as desktop chips.
There has always been an i7 quad core model of mobile chips available, which perform at parity to their desktop counterparts.

I can't speak for AMD though.

GPUs are where it seems to matter most.
>>
>>51731362
>R7 graphics

can bet you its probs a shity R7 340 or some crap, Prebuilts always have a "decent CPU" lots of ram, big hard drive and a shitty gpu if its a "gaming" machine.
>>
>>51732035
R7 refers to the integrated.
>>
>>51731563
>how do they perform
like shit

its an overpowered processor, its a fucking 6 core, 12 thread processor

way too much fucking ram

and a shit GPU
>>
>>51732061
No, it's a 4 core with 12 CU graphics.
>>
>>51731362
>buying prebuilt desktops
What did you expect?
>>
The whole trend started with MacMinis and NUCs. You're about 10 years late discovering this.
>>
>>51731837
and the intel probably has the intel onboard gpu.
$100 justified.
>>
>>51731766
Oh, true, they both have the 360. So that's actually far better than you normally get out of a prebuilt Dell usually wants $1000 for an Alienware with a HTPC card. Same with boutiques like CyberpowerPC -- the under $600 level is full of GT730 and 740's.
>>
>>51731362
They used to sell their prebuilts with desktop CPUs about a year ago. Only recently did they realize that most people don't need/care about desktop CPUs and wouldn't notice if they got switched. So they started selling mobile CPUs on desktops and even replaced the PSU with a power brick to save on cash even more.
>>
>>51732648
>every computer needs to be as big as a refrigerator
>>
>>51733071
>he's too poor to move outta the slums know as Europe.
>>
>>51731563
if anything it would perform great because they can actually cool the cpu properly
>>
>>51733112
My NUC performs fine, and doesn't have fans as loud as lawn mowers constantly blowing.
>>
Not a gamer...bought their Inspiron desktop with a core i3 4170 for $350 off the business site right before thanksgiving.

Wiped Windows and installed Ubuntu Mate on it. Kraken benchmark score of 900 and Octane 2.0 of 33,000.

It kicks ass.
>>
>>51733112
It's still going to be TDP throttled. Its turbo is not set up for it to exceed 35W.
It's not a horrible processor, but with the FX-6300 and 860K being under $100 it's an odd choice.

https://cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=2567&cmp[]=1781&cmp[]=2362
>>
>>51731362
Other company have been doing this for a decade stop shitting on dell everytime.
>>
>>51731956
Not a single mobile chip perform at the same level as their desktop -counterpart-. Counterpart is the key word here.
>>
>>51731526
What kind of moron would fall for that kind of stupid shit? Besides the fact that it is horribly overpriced there is no logic behind having 32GB ram for gaming and using only one 500GB HDD (both space and performance wise).

It's funny how Dell somehow sometimes actually manages to put together decent machines and then someone completely fuck up on the next series.

It's one of the reasons I never recommend Dell to anyone, It's just too much hit and miss with their products.
>>
>>51731526
>i7 cpu
>way, way too much fucking RAM
>mobile phone tier GPU

Yep, that's a prebuilt
>>
What have we learned on 4Chan today boy's? Don't buy prebuilt computers. kek
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.