[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people recommend Codecademy? It's total shit.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled-5.png (62 KB, 1425x906) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-5.png
62 KB, 1425x906
Why do people recommend Codecademy? It's total shit.
>>
>>51730196
I tried it, along with Team Treehouse. I wouldn't recommend it at all. It is so damn repetitive and slow.

I'm sure it's good for women and the like but for us it's wiser to just buy a beginners O'reilly book on the subject.
>>
>>51730196
It's for people with no concept of programming principles what-so-ever. Therefore it's very simplistic, easy to follow and designed around the lowest common denominator (Retards)

I never found it stimulating but I understood what their scope and what what they were trying to teach. If you think you're going to be John Carmack after you finish the course you are severely delusional.
>>
File: 1409735553580.jpg (93 KB, 580x346) Image search: [Google]
1409735553580.jpg
93 KB, 580x346
>>51730196
If you want to be taught high level programming techniques then I suggest buying an actual book on the subject. But then again you probably don't like to read, which is why you expect a free website to teach you how to code shit.
>>
>>51731223
I get what you're saying. I already know how to program, but I just wanted to learn the syntax of Ruby in the context of an interactive environment. I think Codecademy would be good if it wasn't geared towards borderline retarded people. Does anyone have any recommendations that aren't so slow and... simplistic?
>>
people love shit
>>
>>51731257
Well then, does anyone have any recommended books for learning Ruby?
>>
>>51730196
Its for people who want to get into programming but haven't been 'in the programming loop' for that long.

I come from a math background and I picked up SICP and learned very quick. I'm now trying to make a small scheme compiler for arm.
>>
>>51731262
Code academy is programming on rails, you can't deviate from the course and experiment. you are simply there to learn the functions and how they are used.

If you understand the main functions and syntax then you need pick up some beginners tutorials or think of a stupid little project like a alarm clock, 4chan scraper or a stupid mini game and just do it. The best way to learn is just to play around with it.
>>
As a person who has been trying python on and off, "code"cademy has flaws when interpreting whether or not you have done a lesson correctly or just bullshit your way through
>>
Try Codingame, problems are simulated by mini videogames and you need to find an algorithm to solve the puzzles.
>>
>>51731331

Right on. It seems like a lot of people detach coding from foreign language.

The reality is, programming is like learning a new foreign language... You won't get anywhere just shouting DONDE ES BILIOTECA
>>
>>51731262
http://www.zenspider.com/Languages/Ruby/QuickRef.html
>>
>>51730256
>I wouldn't recommend it at all. It is so damn repetitive and slow.

>5 hours course
>slow

Are you retarded or something?
>>
It's only good if user is thirsting for knowledge and used in conjunction with other resources. By itself it is useless to a person who thinks they are good enough finishing it.
>>
>>51731276
Applefags can confirm this. They love eating it, too
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.