[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /g/, Give me reasons why I should buy a thinkpad (T420)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: hp-elitebook-8460p-4.jpg (252 KB, 1192x1080) Image search: [Google]
hp-elitebook-8460p-4.jpg
252 KB, 1192x1080
Alright /g/,

Give me reasons why I should buy a thinkpad (T420) over the HP elitebook (8460p).
Both I can get for $150

GO
>>
>>51730015
there are none. Both laptops are very reliable. I have a T420 and kind of makes me wish I had bought a Dell Precision in it's place. Don't get me wrong, the Thinkpad is a workhorse, but the overall build quality of EliteBook or Precision just seems so much better.
>>
>>51730055
I was thinking this exact thing. I always hear on /g/
>THINKPAD THINKPAD THINKPAD THINKPAD
I know they are good laptops, but how about other manufactures?

I just need opinions about input devices (trackpoints and keyboards). Because apparently thinkpads have god tier keyboards.
>>
>>51730121
Thinkpads have amazing keyboards. I can vouch for that.

The Dell Precision has a great touch pad. Slightly large than most laptops and supports multi finger input. (Dual finger scrolling, swipe gestures to a limited extent, etc) Granted this was me looking at the M4800.

HP stuff seems to be just an all around good laptop. Not great, not terrible, but with emphasis on build quality and serviceability. One could almost call it "boring" if you get what I mean. Fast when you need it to be, plain looking, kind of like Driving a Toyota Coralla or Honda Civic.
>>
>>51730015
I have a T61 (no experience with the T420 though) and a 8460p for work, my only problem is that the 8460p doesn't have the middle click to go with the clit mouse.
>>
>>51730232
:( I had a T61 I refurbed myself. 4gb DDR2, T7500 C2D, 9 cell and 120gb ssd.

It got stolen.
>>
>>51730015
Neither.
X220
>>
>>51730015
i have a lenovo y570 with upgraded i7 2670, 8gb ram, ssd, and gtx 555m

is the elitebook 8460p more powerful?

the only issues with the y570 is the chassis is cracked (heatsink exposed) and the screen hinges are faulty, the USB ports only work if you hold the device against them
>>
>>51730232
>clit mouse
Immature keks were made.
Shouldn't be a too big issue with the middle click mouse
Just a pet peeve.

>>51730201
Yeah. Dells do give generous trackpad sizes. Which is cool, but I heard there laptops have all sorts of issues, and bad design/engineering choices. Anyhow, I will mostly use my laptop to type college papers, the hp just feels sleek, plain, and durable. Almost like a macbook, but not an overpriced piece of shit. I just can't get my fucking brain to decide which damn laptop I want.

>>51730368
Does have ips
Does have thinkpad input devices
Does have decent battery (is it better than the T420?)
It is really small
But my biggest factor is the price. X220's go on sale for 200-300. Why do that when I can go cheaper?
>>
>>51730445
More powerful, no
Stronger, better build quality, longer lasting, yes
>>
>>51730471
i agree
i bought the y570 in summer 2012 as a graduating gift to myself (and to use at uni)
it was great, until only one time i tripped over the printer USB cable now the usb only detects if i hold the plug up.
ebay has replacement USB 3 boards for only 6 bucks, i might just replace it lol, and the hinges
>>
>>51730454
>But my biggest factor is the price. X220's go on sale for 200-300. Why do that when I can go cheaper?
Are T420s not around the same?
>>
>>51730529
Op here, I was about to buy a T420 for $95. Pretty rough condition and no hard drive cover. Didn't buy it because the hp elitebook looks and feels better. I'm literally low balling a bunch of sellers on eBay. Maybe one dumbass will nudge and sell.
>>
>>51730015
as an elitebook user I say definitely go for it. The build quality on my 2560p is fantastic and it's my most comfortable laptop to type on, despite it being the smallest possible elitebook.

Also looks much cleaner than a thinkpad imo. That military grade build quality and the gaps between the keys make it a better shot than a thinkpad.

The windows drivers on it aren't great, however it runs arch beautifully.
>>
>>51730625
Perfect. I was thinking windows may be a problem. Anyways, do you have the amd dedicated graphics card? If so, how well does it run on arch? Do you think its an issue? I may play some steam games like couter strike out of boredom when I'm away from home.
>>
>>51730454
>Does have ips
No, only TN in 1366x768
>Does have thinkpad input devices
The fuck does this mean
>Does have decent battery (is it better than the T420?)
Yes, just buy a 9 cell though
>It is really small
>But my biggest factor is the price. X220's go on sale for 200-300. Why do that when I can go cheaper?
X220's are lighter than T420's. Source: I use both
>>
>>51730201
>HP stuff seems to be just an all around good laptop

Please don't pull stuff straight out of your ass. HPs have had notoriously bad cooling which cause their shit-tier boards to die out from fried video cards. Their hinge game is pretty weak too, with a lot of models having the screw that holds the hinges in place break way, causing the hinges to pull up on the top piece of the base assembly. The only company that has worse build quality is Toshiba, and I'm not sure if you could ever go lower than Toshiba's build quality.
>>
>>51730015
Have the 2170p with i5 3427u, 128gb ssd, 16GB ram, 11.6" for $200. Love it except the screen is ok and battery last 4 hours, but planning to replace both of them. Hackintoshing support is great. Only downside is the trackpad may be shit.
>>
>>51730811
Ebay listing says its ips and 1366x768. Is he lying? And thinkpad input devices = keyboard mouse trackpoints bla bla blah. How much are oem 9 cells these days?

>>51730819
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4306/hp-elitebook-8460p-everything-but-the-screen/5
Wat? No cooling issues in this review. Also, some hp models, not all, have binge issues. And hinges cost $20 max

>>51730827
Nice deal. When did you buy it? Don't need an exact date, just a quarter of a year.
>>
>>51730988
I bought it actually last month, here's a refurbished one for a similar price.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=371460688855&alt=web
>>
>>51730811
>No, only TN in 1366x768
But that's wrong. They came in both TN and IPS.

>>51730988
Can never be sure if they're lying. You can only make sure he's a trusted seller.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.