[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/g/entlemen. Just moved into my new house by myself and I&#
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: edge router.jpg (86 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
edge router.jpg
86 KB, 1000x1000
/g/entlemen.

Just moved into my new house by myself and I'm pretty damn lonely so I need to set up internet to further develop my autism.

Anyway I acted like a normy and googled best routers. Well I got some things like the latest nighthawk and some Asus ones. I looked at their amazon reviews and while they were top rated by users and the site glorifying the device like it was God, there were plenty of other reviews stating they were complete trash and stuff like that. I don't know who to trust.

The point I realized is that the router market advertised online are shills and gimmicks.

SO I'm looking at the Edgerouter X advanced
http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-TS-5-POE-TOUGHSwitch-Advanced-Controllers/dp/B00CXTK90W/ref=pd_sim_147_13?ie=UTF8&dpID=51AsiKlSaAL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0XXAC0BMXHQAKXVHFFWE

And is this WiFi component good enough for a 2 story house and basement? It's n and not AC. Will that be a problem or can I survive with n?
http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Enterprise-Unifi-UAP/dp/B00HXT8R2O/ref=pd_bxgy_147_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1YVFZJA80XXJ5BRZBPZP

I'm guessing this WiFi isn't dualband because all it talks about is 2.4 ghtz. Should I spend some more to get the 5.0 frequency?

Thanks for you're help /g/o bros. If there a /g/ approved guide to buying this shit I'd appreciate it.
>>
>not building your own router
>>
>not having your ISP include a router
Nigger
>>
>>51730212
I said I wanted a QUALITY router you pice of shit and comcrap will only give me shit.
>>
>>51730220
>having comcast as your ISP
Nigger
>>
I do IT for a living an can tell u ubiquiti makes some of the best WAP ever. I have never had a complaint. The only negative I can say is that some of the pro units make an actual sound like analog screech (very quiet) when transmitting data. Would only be annoying if you were sitting right next to it. But as for build quality, performance, etc...theyre fantastic.

Also the edge router life is phenomenal bang for your buck. Supports tons of enterprise class features and performance for a consumer price. Some of the earlier firmwares left a lot to be desired but they've ironed that out with the new one.
>>
>>51730230
>not realizing its still the best option in my area
doofus

>>51730273
thanks bro for te info. I just have a regular 2 story house, is the wifi AP I picked out good enough? should I get the dual band one?
>>
I have a Ubiquiti deployment at one of my sites. If you're willing to drink their coolaid, it's not bad. But I would go with their UniFi line and add their wifi. The EdgeRouter isn't really a home router.

UniFi Security Gateway, an AP or two, and either a SBC (Raspberry Pi or something) or their new controller (which I may be deploying) as the UniFi controller. It's very sturdy stuff. But it's not the same interface as many of the other routers or wifi access points out there. Their Unifi controller software requires a server to operate it, so be aware of that.

I'm also a fan of their AirVision cameras, though very expensive compared to Axis, they've got a better value in my opinion. Their PtP wireless lineup is so sexy, but I don't have any deployments that require it sadly.
>>
Just so there is no confusion >>51730273 Is not the same person as >>51730338
>>
>>51730360
thnks i wz rly cnfsd on tht one....u savfed me sum trouble....LOL!
>>
>>51729771
https://www.thinkpenguin.com/gnu-linux/free-software-wireless-n-broadband-router-gnu-linux-tpe-nwifirouter2

Don't you want to respect your freedoms?
>>
File: resized.jpg (175 KB, 1062x598) Image search: [Google]
resized.jpg
175 KB, 1062x598
OP should buy a shit router from goodwill and get a 9db antenna. and you're done
pic related, antenna $10, shit wireless N gigabit router for $5. doesnt even dd-wrt but im sure a lot of the other ones there support it
>>
>>51729771
>Should I spend some more to get the 5.0 frequency
otherwise when you are cooking your hot pockets you will lose signal strength
>>
>two story house and basement

If it's anything like my house there is literally no single router you can buy to get good signal in all rooms (without getting a fat FCC fine). Dual band doesn't help for penetration because 5 ghz is awesome at close range but worse than 2.4 at going through walls.

I use my normie cable-provided combo router/modem in one wing of the house, and a nice Asus router with ddWRT as a repeater for the other wing.

The best setup would obviously be wired ethernet to all things (gaymer fags), but normies want to use laptops and tablets.

Second best solution is to just run ethernet to one or two repeaters so the wifi only has to go ~15 feet and through one wall instead of ~90 feet and through five or six + microwave.

Third best setup is like me and have the links connected through wireless, but this starts to shit up your spectrum a bit.

Fourth best solution is to just shell out for an Enterprise^tm Grade^tm Router^tm and just hope to god that it works and your neighbors don't drown out your signal.
>>
>not using pfSense
>>
>>51729771
I've placed ERL (edgerouter lite) at work and various home solutions works perfectly you'd would need a switch because bridging is not hardware accelerated ))
>>
I've tried around 12 consumer wired/wireless routers and they've all been shit. The wireless was unreliable and even using the router as a router (not the internal switch or wifi AP) would lock it up after a few days and would require a power cycle.

Get 2 Dedicated access points and set up roaming. I use some EnGenius AP's that have been 100% stable unlike every other wireless router I've used.

Buy a standalone gigabit switch preferably with a metal case for better cooling. The built in switches in most routers suck.

For a router I'd stay far far away from any consumer class router or anything "gaming" related. Get something SOHO small business class, the uglier it looks the better quality it's going to be, A real router should have a metal case and shouldn't be designed to look like a gaming peripheral. Try to find something to run DD-WRT on as an alternative.

I run a dirty old P3 dell with IpCop along with switches and wireless AP's and wouldn't use anything prebuilt ever again.
>>
APs: Xirrus or Ruckus
Router: pfsense if DIY otherwise Microtik or Sonicwall.
>>
>>51729771
dude, your internet provider should hook you up with a modem/router which will be just fine
>>
>go search on google
>disregard every product that is marketed towars "gaymurs"
>look at reviews from enterprise/business routers
>look on ebay for a used enterprise/business router
>try to buy something gigabit and without wireless (since it ages so fast)
>????
>profit

I bought a Draytek Vigor 2130 that way, it's the best router I've ever had. I also have a cheapass tplink access point hooked up for wifi. Its more that suitable for mobile phones/laptops.
>>
>>51732844
Normies pls leave
> his wifi password is the default one on a sticker on the router he rents for $5 a month
>>
EdgeRouter X SFP would probably suffice.
It also has passive PoE built in, so you don't have to use the PoE injectors.
As for the APs, just a single AP won't give you good coverage.
2.4GHz only is enough. While it may not be Cisco/Ruckus/Aruba/etc., it's still a lot better and more stable than consumer WiFi.
If you do want 5.0GHz (>300Mbps), there are also the UAP-AC-Lites, but they're more expensive and quite hard to find at the moment.
>>
We use them for our Wireless in the office, but we don't use them in datacenters any more, having went back to our own builds running our own branch of VyOS. We set Daryl on them to get everything we'd need to build an image for the 5-port EdgeRouter, but they just passed him around their support team who had no clue whatsoever about what we were asking for.

They'll probably be fine for home use, although it's overkill. Frankly, unless you put it on display you aren't going to see a difference.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.