[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I assume this is the place to ask since it deals with some pretty
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1
File: 41Taa5DTsKL.jpg (20 KB, 500x242) Image search: [Google]
41Taa5DTsKL.jpg
20 KB, 500x242
I assume this is the place to ask since it deals with some pretty audiophile equipment:

My Moto X 2014 isn't loud enough when I'm listening to music in my car. I don't know what it is, but when I have the volume maxed on the phone and car, its equivalent to an iPhone at about 25%. As a solution, I thought a FiiO E10K would be a good option since it's decently priced and has some pretty good reviews. It's an Amp/DAC, so would it solve my volume issue? Am I doing something stupid and noobish if I ran a 3.5mm from my phone to the amp, then a 3.5mm from the amp to my AUX in? I'm not about spending money on broken solutions, so if you have a better suggestion, by all means please let me know.
>>
>>51729572
Oh, to add, my Moto X 2014 was purchased through Verizon, so I can't root it and just up the maximum volume. Verizon locked the bootloader and I've yet to see a workaround.
>>
Except the e10k only does USB in.
>>
>>51729590
install gentoo
>>
Solution:

Don't buy placebo junk
>>
>>51729596
The E10K accepts 3.5mm, right?

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-E10K-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00LP3AMC2/ref=sr_1_1?s=car&ie=UTF8&qid=1449461951&sr=1-1&keywords=fiio+e10k

What's the line out on the back for?
>>
Turn up the volume on your stereo.
>>
>>51729618
"I don't know what it is, but when I have the volume maxed on the phone and car, its equivalent to an iPhone at about 25%."
>>
>>51729612

For speakers probably.

That DAC receives the signal from USB. Just change your receiver in your car.
>>
>>51729632
It's a touchscreen panel, so I'm looking for an inexpensive solution.
>>
>>51729572
Makes sense to me. Your phone DAC and the analog signal is just amplified twice; once with the headphone amp or whatever and then again with your car's stereo.
>>
>>51729632
Since the DAC receives the signal from USB and is also powered from USB, would it be possible to use a Y cable with two female connectors, run one into power and the other into my phone?
>>
>>51729572
>DAC/Amp
You don't need a DAC. Your phone is the DAC. Just get an amp that has an analog input and output.
>>
What about this, guys?

http://www.amazon.com/Bravo-Audio-V2-Multi-Hybrid-Headphone/dp/B00ADR2DTG/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1449462544&sr=8-7&keywords=headphone+amplifier

That has 3.5mm inputs, but it's just an amplifier. Would it be a good idea to then run that into a DAC, or what? Do I even need a DAC? To me it doesn't seem like I would because the effect it would have wouldn't be taken advantage of since I'm not listening to the music through some $400 monitors.
>>
>>51729764
>tube amp
I guess sound quality doesn't really matter that much since you're in a car, but don't do this to yourself.
>>
>>51729790
I was under the impression that tube amps were ideal since the tubes apparently make the sound richer.

What would you recommend? I saw the FiiO E6 for like $30, but that looks like it's something that's used with headphones, whereas I'm pushing this into the car. I assume the car has its own amplifier, so would the combination of the two be enough, or what?
>>
>>51729764
You don't need a DAC. Just get a portable amp (not a tube amp like what you linked to though)
>>
>>51729825
Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Black/dp/B00Z9BIODA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1449462907&sr=8-9&keywords=headphone+amplifier

In the case of the A3, there is a 3.5mm input and 3.5mm output. Unlike the E10K, (I assume) the signal could only go through the 3.5mm input.

Yay, nay?

Thanks for the help, guys. It's clear that the E10K would've been the wrong purchase for my situation.
>>
>>51729819
>the tubes apparently make the sound richer.
No this is literally just audiophile nonsense.

>>51729866
The problem is the impedance. Honestly, I'm just assuming that car speakers are around 8 ohms like most speakers. But headphone amplifiers are typically designed for much higher impedances and I don't think these will work well with car speakers that presumably have much lower impedance. I'm not sure what exactly would best fit your use case, but there should be some cheap speaker amp out there with the appropriate inputs and outputs.
>>
>>51729819
>richer
Eh, Given i don't listen to music over tubes, i can't say for sure, but as someone who fell for and loves the Vinyl meme, I notice it sounds better, but it's biggest charachteristic is that it just sounds different... from what i hear theres a warmth to it because of how it works

also

>Tube amp in a car
>tube
ISHYGDDT

The #1 thing i want banging around in my car is really hot glass tubes that produce high current electricity

seriously, I can see if you had money to kill for home, but not in the car senpai,

As a beta-male equivilant of an audiophile - i've never been a fan of having Audiophile quality in a car...
>>
>>51729908
>tubes
Yeah, I don't really get some of the stuff I read only. Audio seems to be like cooking: some people have this "special gift" that allows them to sense beyond others.

>impedance
Yeah, I noticed on the A3 page that it is "[s]uitable for headphones ranging from 16 to 150 Ohms." I don't know what the impedance are for the speakers in my car are (2013 or 2014 Hyundai Veloster). Does it matter since the car (possibly) has its own amplifier? Again, I'm not good with audio, so I'm just taking shots in the dark.
>>
>>51729971
After some research I found this:

"Inspection of the wiring connection between the battery and the speaker
1. Before replacing the speaker, inspect the wiring connection between the battery and the speaker is normal.
2. Check the supply power to the speaker and the resistance, then inspect the sound quality.
■ Specified impedance : 2 ~ 4Ω"

(http://www.veloster.org/forum/35-hyundai-veloster-audio-electronics/11333-car-speakers-question-whats-impedance-stock-speakers.html)

Does this mean 2 ~ 4Ω across all speakers? I find it hard to believe, which means that all the speakers combined should be like 10 ~ 16Ω, right? In that case, would the E12 be able to do the job? It doesn't specify a suitable impedance, but I would assume the better model would cover a larger range.

http://www.amazon.com/E12-Blanc-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00B6QXWIY/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1449464066&sr=8-17&keywords=headphone+amplifier
>>
>>51730095
Well shit.

"It's best for use with headphones between the range of 16 to 300 Ohms."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAiqSRu0Hdg
>>
Fiio e7k or fiio e10k for use with a laptop only?
>>
>>51730095
Nope that means 4 ohm impedance with both speakers. Adding speakers actually decreases impedance. You definitely would need speaker amplifiers not headphone ones. Speaker amps have very low output impedance which is what you want (the load's impedance should be higher).

I haven't found anything that seems perfect, but this should work as long as your cigarette lighter can supply 12v. The downside is that the outputs are speaker wire, but it's possible to strip an rca cable or something to make a connection.
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PHA25-8-Inch-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B004V9G3GQ
>>
>>51730189
Fiio e7k or fiio e10k for use with laptop only?
>>
>>51730189
I really appreciate you taking a look at some products for me. Adding a connector to something isn't a problem, I enjoy soldering.
>>
>>51730189
You seem like u know your shit man can u please lmk if the fiio e7k or fiio e10k would be better for use with a laptop only
>>
>>51730151
>>51730214
Shouldn't really matter. Whatever is cheaper.

>>51730222
Yeah most speaker amps are designed with the intention of running speaker wire to a stereo setup. I don't really know if there would be anything perfect for your use case out there, but it should be possible to jury rig a fix.
>>
>>51730259
http://www.head-fi.org/t/738324/use-of-fiio-e07k-vs-e10k

http://www.head-fi.org/t/745657/does-the-e07k-sound-better-than-the-e10k-im-confused

http://www.overclock.net/t/1544412/fiio-e10k-olympus-2-vs-e07k
>>
>>51730285
Thanks homes
>>
>>51730272
I guess I'll just wait it out and upgrade my phone. Hopefully to something that I can root. I really wish the E12 or A3 would solve the problem. I had no idea that car speakers were oriented towards lower impedance.
>>
>>51730272
Oh and thanks again for all the help!
>>
Fiio E10 only allows USB in? Then get the E7, it has 3,5mm aux in. I'm happy with my e7+e9 dac/amp combo, i use it with my entry -level audiophile headphones.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.