[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Time Machine Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1
File: fander.png (453 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
fander.png
453 KB, 1024x1024
So, I've been using a mac for a couple years now and at work I'm a systems administrator for a large university campus and state-wide network.

I just now started using Time Machine at home to backup my computers, and holy shit, it's so resource efficient during the backup that I have 3 computers doing it simultaneously and not a single slowdown over the network, and the backup speed is acceptable. I'm backing up 136gb from one, 154gb from another, and 89gb from the other.

I literally have a full, encrypted, incremental disk image backup of each computer and to boot it's a hybrid of a system image, and shadow copies. Something that in Windows you need to make a separate disk image backup (and if you want that automatically you need to make scheduled tasks), and turn on shadow copies which take up more disk space, not ideal for SSD's, which these computers are. The backup medium is a 1tb 7200rpm sata 3 drive in a mac mini.

mfw
>>
Meh. Time Machine isn't anything terribly impressive technically. The impressive thing is the ease of use, not the efficiency or reliability.
>>
>>51729435
install gentoo
>>
>>51729488
Well, have you used Windows backup? The comparison is night and day. You can hardly use your computer during a windows backup because it prioritises it equally with all other processes, and the network scheduling leaves much to be desired when you can't even connect to a website or browse your LAN because it's tying up the stack.
>>
>>51729595
also shadowcopies are good to have in a work environment, but if you want to use them on a home computer that has an SSD, you're shooting yourself in the dick because the used disk space bloats up pretty quickly. Time machine is a smarter alternative, and microsoft should create a competitive product.
>>
>>51729488
and yet microsoft hasn't been able to implement anything close in twenty years.
>>
>>51729652
it's not like they aren't able to. it's just that they haven't. which is a disappointing thing.
>>
>>51729595
wow thanks, i'm ordering a macbook pro right now .
>>
>>51729680
>all mac users are stupid and i am smart :^)
>>
>>51729435

Agreed, it rocks. I couldnt believe the UI the first time I used it. Blew me away. So sweet.
>>
Mac OSX has no place in business.
>>
>>51730235
says the NEET. I'm the OP, and i'd argue the contrary.
>>
>>51730276
let me just greentext some reasons

>System Integrity Protection in 10.11 aka "rootless"
>SMB compatibility
>user accounts fully compatible with existing Active Directory infrastructure, and windows DC's
>higher upfront cost for a mac mini or MBP compared to to a shitbox PC, but lower lifetime cost due to less need for IT intervention (according to IBM 5% of mac users need support compared to 40% of PC users http://www.businessinsider.com.au/apple-macbook-needs-help-desk-less-windows-pc-ibm-2015-10)
>remote management is virtually identical to managing unix or linux boxes, so linux system admins feel right at home (i know because i am an all-rounder (windows, linux, mac system admin)
>easier for the end user to do things (as evidenced by only 5% of users needing IT help)

so what's your counter?
>>
>>51730382
oh forgot
business productivity gains because users have no excuse for computer problems anymore. they also feel like they are being cared for by being given a "premium" system to use, rather than a "budget" one
>>
Windows has had Shadow Copies for over a decade now, longer than Time Machine has been in existence and it works better too.
>>
>>51730460
>no computer problems
lol
>>
>>51730576
oh, right, only 1/8th of the computer problems of a PC* which is definitely not 0; sorry!
>>
>>51730492
did you even >>51729631
>>
Automatic security features
OS X offers a multilayered defense system against viruses and other malicious apps, or malware, with virtually no
effort on your part. For example, through a technique called “sandboxing,” OS X prevents hackers from harming
your programs. Sandboxing restricts what actions programs can perform on your Mac, what files they can access,
and what other programs they can launch.

Other automatic security features include Library Randomization, which keeps malicious commands from finding
their targets, and Execute Disable, which protects the memory in your Mac from attacks

>Library Randomization
TOPKEK
in windows you have to install third party system obfuscation software to get this same level of basic security
>>
>>51729488
You literally could not come up with any legitimate complaint or comparison.
>>
>>51730635
macs are PCs

It's OK to use the abbreviation “PC” to refer to a certain kind of computer hardware, but please don't use it with the implication that the computer is running Microsoft Windows. If you install GNU/Linux on the same computer, it is still a PC.

The term “WC” has been suggested for a computer running Windows.
>>
>>51730972
oh a different semantic interpretation of the language exists so the entire argument is kaput!

>words don't mean what they mean, they mean what i want them to mean

quit being SJW-tier and HIT ME
>>
>>51731019
i'm sorry you are so weak minded that you bought into the mac/PC dichotomy invented by marketing execs
>>
>>51731076
you literally have not provided a single counter argument to anything in this thread, and you're calling me weak minded?

bikeshedding NEETs
>>
>>51731106
i literally dropped by while scrolling to interject about your misuse of the term "PC".

>>51730972
>>51731076
these are my only posts itt
>>
>>51731076
theer is no false dichotomy when one product is objectively superior than the other one. this thread has plenty of evidence that apple mac computers are superior to their windows-based counterparts, and justification for them being in business environments.

you have irrational prejudices you've been indoctrinated into by other prejudice, cheap, irrational people. you're in the prison of your own mind, man!
>>
>>51731174
lol okay you win

i got trolled
>>
>>51730382
As if the retards using Windows needing IT support wouldn't find creative ways to fuck up their MACs enough to need IT support again.
>>
>>51731246
and how would they do that when System Integrity Protection exists? And how is it not easily fixed when Time Machine backup exists?
>>
>>51731261
It seems that you assume that those retards would be capable of not deleting their own data or even be able to use backups.
>>
>>51731288
>what is enterprise IT
>does enterprise IT set up system backups and other system configurations or not?
>>
>>51731308
>what is enterprise IT
Outsourced to IT companies, so whenever they need something they call IT support.
This includes anything related to backups.
>>
>>51731346
>you dense motherfucker.jpg
>>
>>51731346
i'm starting to think you're the retard, and not the supposed users you're referring to. it's no wonder you've never been hired.
>>
>>51731346
uh, the last 3 companies i worked at had their own in-house global IT support, software development, and network administration, and one even had security pentesters. outsourcing only affects /g/tier tek-suppo'rt jobs
>>
>>51731476
Most companies aren't global players and on the contrary so small they do not have their own IT-support. They still need it from time to time, so they make contracts with IT companies.
>>
>>51731518
so what's your argument against anything in this thread? that macs aren't a worthwhile investment?
>>
>>51731541
That switching to MACs wouldn't reduce support needs.
>>
Smart goy, smart goy.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.