[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long before we have e-ink displays that aren't tiny
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: e_ink_vizplex_1.jpg (24 KB, 450x276) Image search: [Google]
e_ink_vizplex_1.jpg
24 KB, 450x276
How long before we have e-ink displays that aren't tiny (12"-15") and are reasonably priced? Monochrome is fine.

Once such a thing is readily available, it should be possible to build a minimal linux laptop with that display and a cheap ARM SoC. It'd be super comfy to code on without a bright backlight attacking your eyes and if paired with a normal laptop battery it'd probably last weeks without needing a charge.

I'd really like to try building at least a prototype of something like that but all I can find is shitty little 9.7" panels that'd make for a frustrating netbook-like experience.
>>
>>51729140
bumping for this
i want an e-ink laptop too
>>
>>51729140
That's the best idea ever, family. I had something like that in my mind too, building a tablet/laptop with a BeagleBone or similar, like they did with the Pi (it's called PiTop or whatever).

Using an e-ink display might just make it the perfect device!

I don't know where you can get bigger displays, but what about using 2 of them side-by-side?

Also, IIRC, the kobo e-readers run some kind of linux which you can easily hack and install you own programs. You could try that out
>>
>>51729140

Sony makes a 13inch display e-reader, but I haven't seen it under $700.

A heavily ruggedized (think waterproof, shockproof, resistant to small calibre handgun rounds) fully wireless (wireless ac, bt, wireless charging) and a color e-paper display (think pebble time) would be awesome.
>>
There was a prototype 5 years ago. That lady from one laptop per child was involved. Forget what it was called. It had two different modes. Video required a faster refresh and more power.
>>
>>51732521
Pixel Qi
>>
>>51729140
Sounds comfy, but
>no colors
>no syntax highlighting
not worth it.
>>
>>51732808
Syntax highlighting is still possible with clever shading and font styling. Don't give up on your comfy dreams.
>>
>monochrome (say we could have black and 2 easily recognizable shades of gray and white so its actually 4 colours)
>could be a thin client laptop
>could be completely wireless (no 3.5 jack makes laptops ugly thick piles of shit)
>using modern batteries making them extra thin
>the whole laptop wouldnt be 5milimeteres think
>it would last weeks on one go

I would gladly pay even a 1000$ for this
>>
>>51733053
How many Apple products you own?
>>
>>51733091
About 9
>>
>>51733053
>liking thin technology
I can't relate but you made my day a little worse by posting desu
>>
>>51733091
I probably cant convince you that I dont have any.
Anyway the reason I would pay more for it than the actualy worth of the machine is to further the development.

Today's laptops are not latops. period. They have the horsepower of a desktop machine soldered to a shitty battery so they can run a couple of hours while the fans' hot air will burn the hair off of your legs.
Every fucking manufacturer seems to forget the original concept behind laptops: they should portable thin clients that make you able to access your desktop on the go; this would require high energy effciency, and good networking (thats why I said completely wireless), and thats it! not a single fucking thing more.

>>51733167
thinness is a good selling point for the sheeple, I dont give a flying fuck about how thin it would be.
If there would be a choice between a thin version that would last 1 week on 1 charge (say 5milimters thick) and another that is 1 month on 1 charge, I'd pick the latter even if its 2 centimeters.
>>
>>51729140
>coding on e-ink laptop
that would be soooo fucking nice
>>
Isn't refresh rate going to suck? And if it doesn't then it won't be that much better on battery than lcd?
>>
>>51733275
E-ink displays have no refresh rate. So you'd have to write a whole New driver to display X windows in an E-ink display.
>>
>>51732479

>asking a 6-year old for laptop recommendations
>>
>>51733331

I have gone through 3 or 4 laptops in the last 2 years.

A tough one would be nice.
>>
>>51733451
buy a panasonic toughbook then
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.