[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm building a new desktop for some light programming and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: compare.png (28 KB, 727x749) Image search: [Google]
compare.png
28 KB, 727x749
I'm building a new desktop for some light programming and vidya. I've done research and looked at benchmarks and I've came up with a couple builds that I might want to do. Having some trouble deciding between them. The dual xeons have much higher benchmarks, but I'm afraid vidya games won't use all the cores or something.

Just trying to get some opinions.

First Build:

CPU: Dual Intel Xeon W5580
Mobo: Supermicro X8DTI-F
RAM: 16GB ECC Reg DDR3
GPU: GTX 970

Second Build:

CPU: AMD FX-6300
Mobo: MSI 970 Gaming
RAM: 8GB DDR3
GPU: GTX 970
>>
>>>/sqt/
>>
>>51726565
Both terrible fucking ideas.
>>
>W5580 instead of X5650 or above
Why

But the Xeon one would be much better.
>>
Just get an i5 4440 and call it a day
>>
>>51726663
I'd be buying the xeons, mobo, and ram second hand if I went with the xeon build. Looking for price to performance mostly. Can get two W5580s for the price of a single X5650

Both builds are going to total about the same
>>
>>51726663
Also

https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+X5650+%40+2.67GHz&id=1304&cpuCount=2

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+W5580+%40+3.20GHz&id=1276&cpuCount=2
>>
>>51726736
Come to think of it, it might be more cost effective to just get a single X56xx and a mobo that would actually let you OC it.
They go 4.0+ easy.
Or buy one now and the other later.

Although why 16GB? That won't be triple-channel.
>>
>>51726565
Sweet Jesus if you're going for dual W5580's just get an HP DL370 G6 on eBay for like $250 and be done with it. You can rock 3 GPUs in that bad boy with the right (or home made) power adapters.
>>
>>51726663
Anything Westmere is pricier than the Nehalem stuff, even at equal performance.
>>
>>51726913
But still cheap.
I got an X5675 for $100.
Not to mention eventually the power savings will make up some of the difference, being 32nm vs 45.
>>
>>51726816
I looked into that. The drawback for me is that the single xeon mobos that can overclock are quite a bit more expensive than the dual core server ones.

Also I'd honestly never even thought of that. Should I drop down to 8GB of ram?
>>
>>51727032
>Should I drop down to 8GB of ram?
No, it means that since anything LGA1366 is triple channel, you should get go triple channel for best performance (i.e. 3 matched channels).

How much are you looking to spend on the whole thing and how flexible is your budget?
>>
>>51727069
Oh got it. So maybe 12GB of RAM in that case?

Budget is probably around $500 (before purchasing the GTX 970 down the road)
>>
>>51727160
Do you have to fit a case/psu/other stuff into that $500 or is it just CPU+Mobo+RAM?

I waited for good deals to pop up so I got 3x8GB UDIMM ECC for $130, X5675 for $100, and some EVGA x58 board for $120. Not sure if ECC UDIMMs or RDIMMs are cheaper.
If you're going 2 CPUs, then you'd want a multiple of 6 DIMMs.
>>
>>51727403
Yeah that's everything added together before the GPU.

I was going to look for UDIMM ECC due to the fact that RDIMM is (arguably?) slower
>>
>>51727480
RDIMM is generally only necessary when you go above 2 DIMMs per channel.

The board you quoted has a lower memory capacity if you use UDIMMs though.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.