[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
France to ban public wifi and TOR
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10
File: happening.gif (584 KB, 320x213) Image search: [Google]
happening.gif
584 KB, 320x213
>After the recent Paris terror attacks, the French government is proposing to forbid and block the use of the Tor anonymity network, according to an internal document from the Ministry of Interior seen by French newspaper Le Monde.

>That document lays out two proposed pieces of legislation, one around the state of emergency, and the other concerning counter-terrorism.

>In the former, the French government is considering to “Forbid free and shared wi-fi connections” during a state of emergency. This comes from a police opinion included in the document: the reason being that it is apparently difficult to track individuals who use public wi-fi networks.

>The latter piece of legislation, meanwhile, says the government is considering “to block or forbid communications of the Tor network.” The legislation, according to Le Monde, could be presented as early as January 2016.

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/after-paris-attacks-proposed-french-law-would-block-tor-and-forbid-free-wi-fi
>>
Something tells me they've been looking for an excuse for a while now and now they're striking while the iron's hot
>>
File: LEPEN.jpg (61 KB, 658x371) Image search: [Google]
LEPEN.jpg
61 KB, 658x371
>>51724726
This kuck government is on the way out anyway. Based Le Pen is taking over to exterminate the mudslimes.
>>
>>51724726

Why don't yuropoors like freedom?
>>
They didn't even use tor or public wifi anyway.
>>
>>51724894

>France
>Typical of Europe.

France is the joke of European politics. Italy too, but they're mostly harmless swingers. The French actually take themselves seriously.
>>
>I am French and I host a TOR middle relay on my Raspberry Pi
JUST
>>
>be French
>Can't use comfy public Wi-Fi
>>
File: 124769452343.jpg (20 KB, 366x380) Image search: [Google]
124769452343.jpg
20 KB, 366x380
TOPKEK

This will surely stop the number stations from broadcasting.
>>
If you've done nothing wrong, you've got nothing to fear.

If you've got something to hide, you shouldn't even be here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61ocE12lWOs
>>
How would this stop freenet from working?
>>
>>51724726
>Ban coffeeshop Wifi
>Stop ISIS

Solid logic.
>>
>>51724726
WHY DO I LIVE IN THIS FUCKING COUNTRY ????
>>
How is this related to the terror attack in France?
The terrorists communicated via regular SMS, they didn't even try to hide their conversations
>>
>>51725184
Interesting thing is ISIS has been known to use number stations as well. This is why their surprise attacks can be done. The only effective solution is better immigration control against Muslims really.
>>
File: 1444327321897.jpg (8 KB, 186x225) Image search: [Google]
1444327321897.jpg
8 KB, 186x225
>>51724948
>>51725165
Terrorists spotted.
>>
Get a VPN to some other nation, and connect to Tor through that, or use one of the various ways of disguising the connection as innocent traffic that they developed for China.

>>51725184
It isn't, but the government hates the idea that there's anything about your information that it can't see and control. States everywhere want nothing to be anonymous, everything visible to them, so that they may control you as they see fit.
>>
If watching hours of animated gifs of cats falling into baths has taught me anything, it is that freaking the fuck out rarely makes the situation better.

France, please stop freaking out like a cat that has fallen in a bath.
>>
>>51725184
It's not related. On the surface, it's a knee-jerk reaction to an event, but underneath it is a step towards elimination of freedom.

Merifats did this with the "Patriot" Act. It passed, because it rode on fear.

Tighter immigration controls is the solution. And yes, I have no issues with Muslims being "randomly" selected for searches when they enter, or leave the country.
>>
>>51724726
>during a state of emergency
Sounds reasonable

Tor banning is stupid though.
>>
>>51725360
"Emergency" laws have a tendency of not going away. The Reichstag Fire Decree and the following Enabling Act were such "state of emergency" provisions.
>>
>>51725402
PATRIOT ACT
A
T
R
I
O
T

A
C
T
>>
>>51724726
french article someone ? I'm searching it right now but if someone have a link. English article didn't linked to the article talking about tor and free wifi
>>
>>51725360
It doesn't do anything though. ISIS is not a group of retarded sand niggers. They actually use things like number stations which is impossible to censor.
>>
>>51725443
Reminder that the latest terror attack in France was organised using UNENCRYPTED SMS MESSAGES.
>>
>>51725426
silly me. Have to pay to see the full article.
>>
>>51725139
but isis could transmit a bomb via public wifi and nobody would know it's him???
>>
>>51725531
You think France wants to admit ISIS fucked them in the arse with otp communication? If ISIS had used unencrypted SMS then the government would have detected something fishy especially since France is known to monitor Syria to France communications.

These sand niggers are extremely dangerous not because of their rifles or ruthless beheadings but because they are virtually undetectable.
>>
>>51724726
i thought france was snooty euromerica
>>
>>51724726
>attackers communicated using unencrypted SMS
>attackers were on terrorist watch lists and already being focused on by "intelligence" agencies
>THIS IS THE FAULT OF ENCRYPTION!!

The complete incompetence of these "intelligence" agencies and their total lack of awareness of what's going on, even when it comes to unencrypted communications by people they're specifically targeting, should come as a relief to the rest of us. Clearly they are too incompetent to spy on people
>>
>>51725765
You literally can't spy on otp encryption which is what isis was most likely using. France has a huge ego and won't admit that though.
>>
>>51725531
No it wasn't dumbass.
This is literally wrong.
They used encrypted PSN messenging.
Jesus the disinformation.
>>
>>51725811
>messenging

Why should anyone listen to an illiterate bastard like yourself?
>>
> Muslims murder 140 people
> Better ban tor while still letting them into the country
>>
>>51725800
The Paris attackers used Facebook and SMS to communicate. If they can't keep up with cleartext communications then what good will banning encryption do?
>>
File: 83c.gif (1 MB, 200x183) Image search: [Google]
83c.gif
1 MB, 200x183
>>51724786
Key word is in a state of emergency. Essentially they want to be able to switch off public wifi when they need to, as for TOR... Welp
>>
>>51725811
except that's a bullshit rumor, anon

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/how-the-baseless-terrorists-communicating-over-playstation-4-rumor-got-started
>>
>>51725888
What I'm saying is they didn't. France doesn't want to admit that.
>>
>>51725887
And letting them out of the country.

>>51725531
Last I saw there was no proof they sent anything other than the go signal over SMS. Do you have some information that I don't?
>>
>>51724726
are they going to ban burner phone internet connections as well?
>>
>>51726012
So France would rather claim that they were unable to intercept cleartext communications than to claim that they failed to intercept encrypted communications? Even though they're trying to get encryption banned?

That makes absolutely no sense. It is in their best interest to blame it on encryption.
>>
>>51725260
"hahaha"
tlelolism will kill us all i sweal
you filst mr plime ministel of Flance !
>>
>>51724726
How the fuck can you ban public wifi, wtf?

I thought you can't control the Internet.
>>
>YFW NOT LIVING IN RETARDED FRANCE
>>
>>51724726
But the terrorists used PSN to communicate.
>>
>>51725320
>tighter immigration controls
But that would be rayciss and no European communist state would want that, right?
>>
>>51726175
They don't want the public to see them as completely useless. At leat if they blame themselves for not being observant enough their is still hope in the people that the government can improve surveillance.

This is completely different from telling the public, "terrorist use uncrackable encryption and we can't do anything about it. But can you all gives us more money just cause?"
>>
>>51726214
By making it illegal.

Why would you think that the Internet can't be controlled?
>>
>retarded Muslims do terror attack
>what any reasonable country would do: ban Muslims
>what France does: ban wifi

Top kek
>>
C U C K E D

U

C

K

E

D
>>
File: aaa.jpg (36 KB, 400x460) Image search: [Google]
aaa.jpg
36 KB, 400x460
>>51726337
THIS
>>
File: 1444966956061.jpg (411 KB, 1280x1256) Image search: [Google]
1444966956061.jpg
411 KB, 1280x1256
catch you all on the flipside
>>
>>51726452
Fuck off, spud. Cyberpunk is for twips.
>>
[spoiler]Isis isn't real[/spoiler]
>>
If France does then the UK will be next.
>>
>>51726548
>1984 + 31.9
>not being a part of the underground
>not fighting fascism
>>
>>51726569
No they are real. Muslims just want to pretend they don't exist so they don't look like bad guys. You sound like a Muslim yourself.
>>
>>51726214
Only thing I can really think of is if there would be a Faraday Cage that could automatically be erected around every public facing router in France. And also somehow make it physically impossible for any of the citizens to remove said cage once it's in place. Realistically, what this would probably mean would be simply to go full Egypt/North Korea on the public and shut off ALL internet access throughout the country, which would be a disgusting misuse of power, similar to turning off all electricity to a nation because someone's shithead kid stuck their finger in a light socket.

Countries shouldn't control the internet in the same way that countries shouldn't censor freedom of speech, it's good in theory but when shit hits the fan, morals and ethics go out the fucking window in the name of security. There are still plenty of ways to seriously hampers one's ability to access large chunks of the internet. Bandwidth throttling, ICANN, physical cable cutting, etc. It's hard to completely disable ALL access to the internet, but its sickeningly easy to disable MOST forms of access to it.
>>
>>51726802
Probably more along the lines of companies that offer open wifi being forced to take it down during a state of emergency, like buses, restaurants, hotels, etc
>>
>>51726802
Sheeeit

Fucking cable cutting,

gg France
>>
>>51726334
Because there is so much hardware it's too big to control, kinda like the US government can never shut down the tor black market because human will always find another way
>>
>>51727022
Possible, but it seems like the coordination effort would be insanely hard. Imagine just trying to get the word out to every bus company in the Nation an hour after an attack started.

Point of failure would be pretty high, since you'd have elderly bakers and shit trying to figure out how to turn off their routers (if they even know what, or where it is), trying to remember passwords or whatever. Users are retarded and if they're seriously trying to think up a solid game plan to fight the use of public WiFi during a time when buildings are getting BTFO and people are getting shot or some crazy shit. The amount of businesses and small mom and pop shops that actually going to be able to comply with the request in a reasonable, and more importantly useful, time frame would be absolute shit.

I suspect that assuming that the French government has any sense, they will conclude that the best guarantee they have that terrorists don't have access to the net during an attack would be by disabling it everywhere, for everyone. People do retarded shit when they think that they're doing it to be "safe".
>>
>>51726334
you can't control the internet. That's a fact. Close a door, 10 new doors open, and people trapped in the door you closed will use the windows to get out.
>>
File: th.jpg (66 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
66 KB, 600x600
>mfw a european attempts to ban radio waves near me
>>
>these retards think it's just about banning wifi in general
They're banning wifi that's not password-protected in public places, e.g. coffee shops. It's an attack on privacy.

I honestly thought /g/ wasn't this dumb.
>>
france doesn't even know what i2p is apparently
>>
>>51724726
> Attack happens
> Kill all internet access
> Only information about the attacks is gained through muslim-controlled kucktown news outlets
> Nobody able to tell what's really happening
> Nobody able to try to get help
> Hundreds die
> #notallmuslims
>>
>>51727302
Yeah that's why NK has all this great access, oh wait.

The only reason the Internet is so free is because so far they barely try to control it.
>>
Good, now the good skiddies will haveto actually have a router to get a free ip/proxy
>>
>>51724726
And what are they going to do about communication over psn?
>>
>France to ban public wifi
>article says "proposing"
Shit thread you faggot.
>>
Th... Thanks ISIS
>>
File: 1448919330745.jpg (41 KB, 620x700) Image search: [Google]
1448919330745.jpg
41 KB, 620x700
>>51724948
>>51725165
>>
>>51727697
I can't remember the last thread on /g/ where the majority of posters had actually read the posted article.
>>
File: Everything is 100% OK!.png (928 KB, 600x887) Image search: [Google]
Everything is 100% OK!.png
928 KB, 600x887
>>51727697
>>51729217
>it's just a proposal so there's nothing to get worked up about
>we don't need to fight this, there's nothing wrong
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.