[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm looking to build a moderately future proof gaming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: old_people.jpg (41 KB, 420x589) Image search: [Google]
old_people.jpg
41 KB, 420x589
So I'm looking to build a moderately future proof gaming pc for around $800 USD any suggestions?
>>
File: 2015-09-08-10-31-56-1972219044.jpg (17 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
2015-09-08-10-31-56-1972219044.jpg
17 KB, 205x246
>>
>>51722899
Google logical increments.

Then decide your budget, and do a little research.
>>
Better off buying an xbox
>>
File: images.png (23 KB, 355x414) Image search: [Google]
images.png
23 KB, 355x414
>>51723063
>>
>>51722899
Build it with emphasis on difficult to upgrade parts.Your cost priorities should be:

Motherboard
CPU
PSU
Case
GPU
RAM
HDD/SSD
Fans/Accessories

Basically, you can add things like RAM and more graphics cards later, but to upgrade your CPU you basically have to throw out the old one. This is the principle behind future-proofing.
>>
>>51722899
>future proof gaming pc
Literally impossible
>gaming pc for around $800 USD
falcon guide
>>
Since Skylake isn't /g/ approved, if I'm looking to build a computer right now, what Intel CPU should I grab?
>>
I can't bother checking out prices, but here's what I think:

i5 6600K. You get a fresh socket, the LGA1151. You can get it with another processor too if the 6600K is too heavy for your wallet, but you will regret buying a cheaper one, because later on you can just overclock it when it starts to bottleneck. The socket is new thus will have drivers available for new releases. LGA 1150 is cheaper and you could get a 4690K and save a few bucks but do it only if your budget can't go up to Skylake money. You want a Z170 board, do not buy a non-Z board. MSI Z170A PC mate is a solid basic board that covers all your needs.

If you go 1151, you can buy pretty much the cheapest DDR4, 8 gigs of it. It doesn't really affect framerates. You don't need over 8gb for gayman, don't get cuc.ked by people suggesting 16 gigs, you won't need it, it's a waste of money.

If you enjoy getting cu.cked get a GTX970. The vram problem will become an issue in a few years when textures require more vram. For about the same price or less you can get a R9 390 which performs the same but has 8gb of vram. Good if you want to get another one later on to boost your gayman performance. 390X if you can afford it.

You will want an SSD for loading speeds, 250gb costs less than $100 now, so get that for the OS and some games, a normal HDD of your choice for media such as music and videos. It doesn't matter what you pick, you can save some money by not getting shilled by WD blacks and stuff.

People will insist on a 80 plus gold PSU but you can save a buck by buying 80 plus bronze. 550W is enough for one GPU but if you want headroom in case you buy another GPU in the future, go with 650W.

That's pretty much it, now find the cheapest parts and put it together.
>>
27% Cpu
04% Cooling
10% Mobo
04% Ram
04% Psu
06% Case
32% Gpu
13% Storage
I like to use this guide as a proportion of budget for builds.
>>
>>51723410
32$ for ram and psu.

The magic of % not being linear.
>>
>>51723461
Thats enough for 8gb ddr3 and a 500w psu.
>>
>>51723707
8gb and a bomb
>>
>>51723317
>future proof
>old cpu
>old motherboard
>>
>>51723707
Yeah 8 gigs of ram and an insurance claim for a future house fire
>>
>pro tip: you can't
In 10 years all of your PC hardware will be shit. Just build the best computer you can for your budget and spend more money on the GPU if playing vydia is your main priority.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.