[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: How frequenting /g/ has changed you. >I fell for the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43
File: 1431997418892.jpg (442 KB, 850x701) Image search: [Google]
1431997418892.jpg
442 KB, 850x701
ITT: How frequenting /g/ has changed you.

>I fell for the Thinkpad meme and now I frown on consumer grade laptops.
>I started writing my university homeworks in LaTeX.
>I realised everything by Google is literally botnet.
>>
>>51722642
>ITT: How frequenting /g/ has changed you.
I realised that there are literally hundreds of Dunning-Kreuger idiots that supposedly study computer science out there.
>>
>I realized OS X is the master race
>I used Arch and realized it's shit-tier
>>
>>51722642
You do realize if you use the internet, your ISP is a botnet?
>>
>>51722642
I used to think riced desktops were pretty cool. Now I realise they're an MLP-tier badge of autism.
>>
>>51722995
By riced do you mean computers covered in LEDS and shit?
>>
>>51723020
He said riced desktops idiot
>>
I realized that Linux is really just a meme and not God tier OS enlightenment like /g/ says.
>>
>>51723041
And he obviously doesn't know what riced means, idiot
>>
>>51723240
Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>51722642
>Google LaTeX
>Realized I can make my homework look more professional and in turn get higher scores

Thanks anon.
>>
>>51723240
And it doesn't help that desktop is a pseudonym for desktop computer.

Riced desktops (WM, IDE, etc) are acceptable to a degree. Riced hardware looks like shit.
>>
>>51723066
>shiggshigg
whatever, dude

>i realized microsoft assholes are more obnoxious than i thought
>i realized linux assholes can be just as obnoxious, but in a different way
>i realized ricing is something for people with too much time
>>
>>51723333
riced desktops are a waste of time
riced hardware is a waste of money
>>
I fell for the AMD meme
>>
I fell for the mechanical keyboard meme
>>
>>51723406
I fell for this meme too, I dont mind it but I really wish I wouldve fell for the topre meme first
>>
I suck at programming

I have no idea why someone pays me to pump out easy shit
>>
>>51722642
>Thinkpads aren't worth all their hype, but are pretty good nonetheless
>wiki.installgentoo gives better advice than consumer guides
>a shit ton of people don't even know how to program here
>worse is when they don't understand programming paradigms and concepts
>arch is great, but not having an installer option is still shit

I like what can be done with technology vs the devices existence itself and the circlejerk of superiority people have. If it functions well and is reliable/durable, I can do work, and make shit I'm happy.

>>51723334
>i realized ricing is something for people with too much time
I fell for it and gave it a try on my working machine. It really should only be built in a VM then moved over to the working machine. It's the same practice with running a server for updates. You try in VM, then launch it when it proves to work.

If it can only be built in parts, that's fine too.
>>
>>51722642
i learned that everyone hates PHP
>>
>>51723508
Arch has multiple installers and one of them is actually vanilla. I used it just to piss off the autists. I did my time in install hell back in 2004 when almost all distros were about as much of a bitch to install.
>>
>>51723362
>riced desktops are a waste of time
So, changing to a preferred browser, ide, and WM with a couple changes in configs is like choosing which applications you want to pin to your task bar. It's worthwhile to some to learn how to do it. Plus it's easy to get a good one if you just take someone else's, change it slightly then use it. If someone goes from scratch or equivalent, they're doing it wrong.

>riced hardware is a waste of money
I'm more on board with this.
>>
>>51722281
>linux is just a meme
>970 is just a meme
>>
>>51722642
What the hell is she using those top screens for? She's for sure not resolving text at that distance, and if it's scaled up she'd be better off just clipping some 7" monitors onto the tops of the two big ones on her desk. 0/10 would NOT hack with
>>
>>51723558
>Arch has multiple installers and one of them is actually vanilla.
What installer? I did it by hand since I only had the Wiki and every available installer was beyond shit-tier
>>
I learned many people on this board is not really interested in technology and most people here are no different then apple sheeple.
It made me realise there is not much else to learn here then how to shill and shitpost.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-06-23-13-54.jpg (1 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-06-23-13-54.jpg
1 MB, 1440x2560
>>51723291

You're welcome.
A couple tips: use kpfonts and setmargin=2.54cm. Professional looking, yet none of that crazy computer modern and muh huge margins bullshit.
>>
>>51722995
"Ricing, hoo, yeah. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing."
>>
I actually like apple now. because I realized that /g/ has a massive cargo cult mentality.
>>
>>51722995
Most people think the same until they actually check the guide, it's not worth the effort in most cases.
>>
>mechanical keyboard
>headphone amp/DAC
>$1 mouse pad
>zowie mouse
>Dell ultrasharp ips monitor
>duluge
>sansa clip+ with rockbox
I might have missed something but I think that's all.
>>
>>51723827
write in english motherfucker
>>
i kind of want a thinkpad x220t.

thats about it.
>>
>>51722667
just hundreds?
>>
Only been frequenting this board a couple of months

- Installed and currently use Pale Moon
- Uninstalled my antivirus

That's it. I'm poor so I'm safe from purchase-able maymays.
>>
>Fell for the Android meme, never again
>Bought a ThinkPad, while it was good value at the time I now realise that they haven't improved in 4 years and are no longer relevant.
>MDR-V6, never again

On the plus side you guys suggested an external chassis for a 3.5 inch drive and it's fantastic, so I guess you're not all autistic fanboys.
>>
>>51724869

Tell me about the mdr-v6 so I won't fall for it.
>>
>>51724837
>Uninstalled my antivirus
You are using MB right?
>>
>>51724869
Yeah, ios is such an upgrade from android..
>>
I bought an ssd
I learned to get the most out of my money tech wise
I learned to stay away and filter every general ever since they are mindless circlejerks
I learned c, perl and python even though I don't plan to work on the field.
I set up a NAS and a media center all by my retarded self

Thanks I guess
>>
I realized that everyone is a selfish cunt witch social issues.
>>
>>51723041
And so did he idiot dummy head.
fuck off to grade school
>>
>>51723960
hey you can be friends with condescending people. just head over to the current desktop thread at your convenience where good desktops and "efficiency" can grant you friends
>>
>>51725068

I run it once a month or so.
>>
>>51722642
I swtiched to Arch Linux
>>
I started to care really deeply about audio. So much so, in fact, that I started producing 4.5 years ago and now I make electronic music engineered to perfection for an audience that I don't have.

T-thanks
>>
>>51722642
I use Firefox despite its inferior performance
I bought a Moto G
I installed Linux on my Dad's computer
>>
I bought a Thinkpad and some $20 Sennheisers they recommend in the hpg

Other than that nothing has changed. Still use Windows 10, still use VLC. still use Sublime Text and like Android (it's not laggy I don't get the meme)
>>
>>51725536
post your soundcloud then
>>
>>51722642
What the fuck is that monitor rack thing

The top screens might as well be track lights holy shit what a dumb picture
>>
File: do_you_even_g.jpg (616 KB, 1920x1440) Image search: [Google]
do_you_even_g.jpg
616 KB, 1920x1440
Literally everything
>>
>>51726157
>Windows
>Chrome
lol
>>
>>51726157
>facebook
>abp
>>
>>51726254
That's Xubuntu and Chromium.
>>
I realized muh gaymer hardware is literally just marketing. I've probably saved ~€200 thanks to /g/, I use kigston ddr4 valueram (has same unlimited warranty as their gaymer-tier ram and same functionality). I got an msi pc mate mobo instead of a gaming mobo. I got a windowless case, a decent modular psu, cheapest 1080p monitor. And a mechanical keyboard (K70 rgb, not the corsair gaming one but the regular corsair one) (mechanical keyboard are by far the best thing /g/ shills all the time) And a generic wireless mouse (not one with muh gaming laser).
>>
>>51722642

>I installed Gentoo
>I now understand GNU/Linux more than I ever did before
>I lean more towards Free as in Freedom.

Now everyone thinks I'm a hacker and I get untrusting looks from the sheeple.
>>
File: tyme.jpg (8 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
tyme.jpg
8 KB, 300x168
>>51722642
It's made me a lot more paranoid and a lot less tolerant.

> Use palememe so no +720p video
> Have to look at archaic, click-image-to-visit-website google images

> Use icecat so have to manually enable every script that is nonfree (which is all of the ones that make 4chan function
> Slightly faster than firefox

Everything is trying to spy on me.

Living without being spied on means not getting to use anything good.

Time to kill myself when?
>>
>>51726470
> Learn about NSA HDD firmware spyware
> Learn it is virtually impossible to detect and even harder to remove
> Learn that they can spy on my hard drive whenever they want no matter what
> We lost the privacy war

Time to kill myself now.
>>
>>51726659
Care to elaborate?
>>
File: depressed.jpg (23 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
depressed.jpg
23 KB, 1280x720
>>51726723
There's a type of malware that can be written to the firmware of hard drives and solid state drives.

The hacker group Equation employed it against a couple hundred targets.

Making such a thing would require intimate knowledge of the proprietary firmware that goes into consumer hard drives.

You know who has that, the capacity to make such a program, and the motivation?

The National Security Agency.

It hasn't been confirmed, but they have this fucking spyware on all consumer hard drives, and can spy on and copy information off of them whenever they please.

We lost the privacy war. It's over.
>>
>>51725327
you're welcome madafucka
>>
>>51726157
>life of a walking meme
It's you.
>>
because of /g/:
>played around with linux a lot and learned Shell Script
>use Latex for every document longer than 10 pages
>advocating free sotfware everywhere I can
>Sumatra PDF
>qbittorrent
>Firefox with HTTPS everywhere + ublock origin + self-destructing cookies
>started programming in Java
>using win7 and will switch to linux when win7 support ends
>know the interjection by heart
>>
>>51726790
Couldn't the hackers themselves have disassembled the firmware and written the malware?
I'd need some sources to read on it myself anon.
>>
That at least 90% of people here don't know how to actually program anything past a fizzbuzz, and 95% don't have knowledge higher than a 2nd year Computer Science student.

Also learned that people will keep saying dumb ass memes without knowing anything
>See sometimes suggesting Windows
>LE WINDOWS IS SHYT, USE GENTOO FAGGOT
>>
>>51722642
I started using Linux besides Windows. Perfect passthrough is all I need to fully switch on the desktop.
Spent more than $1500 four years ago on a computer.
Got into computing science eventually leading to a job.
Hate Nvidia, tolerate Intel, want AMD to stop being shit.
Linus Torvalds is my waifu.
Still use google botnet.
>>
>>51726901
>See sometimes suggesting Windows
>LE WINDOWS IS SHYT, USE GENTOO FAGGOT

What the fuck are you talking about here exactly?

Also only vtards use windows. It's a gaming OS after all. What did you expect?
>>
>>51722642

>use gentoo
>got a nexus phone without gapps
>use all free software
>bought a thinkpad
>deleted facebook
>>
I started using a trip
>>
>>51726952
>implying a /g/ user cannot enjoy video games
>>
>>51726952
>Also only vtards use windows. It's a gaming OS after all. What did you expect?

Countless programmers and professionals with actual jobs use Windows.

Microsoft Excel is an industry standard for many jobs, you can't barge in with your MUH FREE libreoffice and MUH FREE file formats. No one will know what the fuck you're talking about.

And also whenever you ask about programming for Windows they always say
>Use le gentoo faggit
which is obviously retarded when over 95% of the marketshare for desktop users is Windows. That was my point, it's just people saying memes or repeating what someone else said.
>>
File: 2014-11-23.jpg (205 KB, 1326x994) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-23.jpg
205 KB, 1326x994
>Bought a ThinkPad
>Dell Ultrasharp IPS monitor
>Ditch the Logitech speakers in favour of some Yamaha bookshelf speakers
>Audio Technica M50s
>Logical Increments guide as starting point for builds
>LaTex

I honestly regret none of it. I used to frequent /g/ a lot, but just stop by every now and then these days. People really seem to really fucking hate the M50s these days, but I got a really good deal on them a few years ago, and I like the way they sound. The ThinkPad was a good idea for the keyboard and clit alone, never mind the price point. I also run Linux now, but that doesn't really have anything to do with /g/.

In general /g/ is a pretty angry shithole (sorry but it's true), but I've definitely received some good advice from some fine /g/entoomen.
>>
>>51727037
What does marketshare have to do with programming though? ahaha
I mean that kind of talk is good and all for /v/, this is a place to talk about different things anon.
>>
>>51723609
what you describe is personalizing. that's a different story, i'm quite big on that - got my terminal and my vim set up so i can actually be productive, same goes for all the utilities i need (mostly compilers, gdb and python, but also android studio, intellij and whatever else is required for the project). i'll also always remap the capslock key to ctrl and such. ricing, however, is the unnecessary shit people do when they redesign logos for their programs so "they'll look nicer in that cool flat theme i found on ricemyass.net" or some shit like that. you know, these desktops you can't make out what OS they're build on top of - that's bullshit.
>>
>>51726881
Entirely possible, but it would be motherfucking difficult.

It's probable the NSA just took the source code directly from the companies.

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/nsa-firmware-hacking/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/17/kaspersky_labs_equation_group/
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyberspying-idUSKBN0LK1QV20150217
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2885069/theres-no-way-of-knowing-if-the-nsas-spyware-is-on-your-hard-drive.html
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/nsa-hid-spying-software-in-hard-drive-firmware-report-says-1.2959252

Here's some articles on it.
>>
>>51727104
>What does marketshare have to do with programming though? ahaha

Who would I be programming for if not the (by far) majority share of desktop users? Sorry there isn't much money in opensource.

>I mean that kind of talk is good and all for /v/, this is a place to talk about different things anon.

What talk? Why does Windows automatically = games?
>>
>seriously considering a thinkpad for the clit to replace my old vaio
>shilling - its real
>stopped using google products entirely
>watching neckbeads be trolled is surprisingly entertaining
>>
>>51727432
Buy a ThinkPad. They're good shit.
>>
>>51722642
I've learned that the average tech "enthusiast" is just another drooling, gullible consumertard, just with more disposable income and better Google skills.

I've learned to really consider my arguments before throwing them out and better articulate them.

I've developed a somewhat greater appreciation for UNIX systems.

I've come to hate myself for liking ThinkPads.
>>
>>51722642
i've developed a hatred for the GNU/Linux operating system as well as OS X, the incessant shilling from both camps triggers the shit out of me
>>
>>51727592
sounds pretty irrational, anon.
>>
>>51727251

>What talk? Why does Windows automatically = games?

I meant the using marketshare as a measurement for anything kind of talk.
Also Windows = games ever since it is an occlusive OS that hides its innerworking from the user and alienates and limitates them by giving them just a closed source api to interact with it.
And that's besides it having just recently gotten a decent shell that doesn't work with most windows programs or the existing of the retarded registry and a thousand of other problems for programmers like that.
That's why it is such a shitty OS for development.

>Who would I be programming for if not the (by far) majority share of desktop users? Sorry there isn't much money in opensource.

Programming for? So you don't enjoy it?
You're never going to get really good at it with that kind of mindset.

Also migrating from Linux to Windows if you absolutely needed it to land a job is not that hard.
>>
>before /g/
>owned one shitty asus laptop with a dedicated GPU that was worse than the integrated
>after /g/
>have purchased five thinkpads without spending more than that one asus cost
s e n d h e l p
>>
>>51722642
I started using arch and gentoo, and ricing.

Sometimes I think it might be bad, but shit all I was doing before /g/ was shitting up /vg/ and playing WoW 10 hours a day, at least I'm learning *something* and not playing video games all day.
>>
>>51727660
>Programming for? So you don't enjoy it?

I want to make money, I do use Debian a lot of the time but unfortunately I need to write programs FOR Windows, using the windows api.

>Also migrating from Linux to Windows if you absolutely needed it to land a job is not that hard.

I would have to learn the difference between the operating systems all over again, how the kernels differ, the core utilities of it, etc.
>>
>>51727706
>I would have to learn the difference between the operating systems all over again, how the kernels differ, the core utilities of it, etc.

Depends a lot on what you're doing.
If you want to do any kind of low level development in which you need to know the kernel really well and you choose windows then you're just being a masochist anon.

Windows utilities are shit compared to linux's, too.
>>
>>51722642
>I realised everything by Google is literally botnet
This, only.
>>
>>51727807
>If you want to do any kind of low level development in which you need to know the kernel really well and you choose windows then you're just being a masochist anon

I'm sorry but that's necessary for what I'm interested in.

Reverse engineering and other stuff.

It's not like I don't enjoy Debian. i regularly use it on my thinkpad.
>>
>>51722642
Not much other than getting me to learn vim and install Arch, as well as getting me to build my own computer, etc. All positive as far as I'm concerned. If it weren't for /g/ I'd probably be one of those retard alienware "gaymurr" faggots.
>>
How has /g/ changed me?

>Now don't mind weebkeks at all, they are still faggots if they have irl weeb shrines tho

>saved me from Kingston

>gave me blessed headphone knowledge

>gave me blessed monitor knowledge

>saved me from the closed loop cooler meme

>taught me about Linux even tho I do not use it

>NZXT S340 based god

>saved me from falling for Nvidia cancer(980ti is still a great card senpai)

>convinced me to buy a mech keyboard(very nice and I got it for cheap so pleased deeply)

>saved me from the corsair kek

>asus is cancer

>Crucial is based

>windows must be used cautiously
>>
>>51727838
> If it weren't for /g/ I'd probably be one of those retard alienware "gaymurr" faggots.
Yeah me too man

I fell off the deep end a little but better /g/ than /v/
>>
>>51727833

I'm getting into RE myself but I just do it in a windows VM.
Why do you impose yourself the worst part of managing windows when you don't really have to?
>>
>>51727882
Because I want to learn how it all works, my friend.

VM isn't as efficient and I'd rather just write my Windows programs ON wangblows.
>>
>>51723521
They've never tried using HHVM
>>
>>51726157
You are /g/ incarnate
>>
File: King_of_g.jpg (423 KB, 1400x890) Image search: [Google]
King_of_g.jpg
423 KB, 1400x890
>>51727946
What about this?
>>
File: jm's head 2.jpg (33 KB, 306x423) Image search: [Google]
jm's head 2.jpg
33 KB, 306x423
>>51727978
>THAT DISGUSTING FOOT AND TOENAILS

OH GOD IM GOING TO THROW UP
>>
Before /g/ I was a casual, pretentious faggot who ran linux but used WINE to run all of my wangblows gaems while learning nothing about coding or anything.

Now I've completely abandoned nonfree software, avoid anything I can't examine myself, and have three programming languages in my queue to learn.

/g/ saved me from being a pretentious faggot. Best decision I ever made coming here.

And funny story:

> mention /g/ to brother over phone
> "what's /g/?"
> "technology"
> goes to /d/
> "Oh, /d/ is hentai. You meant /g/, didn't you."
>>
>>51722642
Just epic, dude.
>>
>>51728007
>Not literally saying "Slash G as in Game, followed by a Slash"

Lmao @ ur life
>>
>>51727038
>memepad
>osx

just take the memebook bait m8
>>
>>51722642
>>I started writing my university homeworks in LaTeX.
There's nothing wrong with that. That's how everyone doing a STEM major should write his shit. It's the best tool out there.
>>51723827
Greetings from hungary, haver. I hope that's not really, seggfej, because I'm gonna send them an e-mail.
>>
Everyone says
>install Gentoo
like it's a joke.

After installing Gentoo I realized just how much every distro is almost the same with subtle differences in configuration, and how Gentoo is really a great tool for "creating" your own distro.

After a while of using Gentoo I now have an automated generic build server that works just like any binary distro repo but software up to date and configured the way I like it so it doesn't take a millennium to install a fresh system. I also retain the flexibility to make package configuration changes for my different machines.

However I understand that initial time investment is less enticing than a distro configured OOTB.
>>
>How frequenting /g/ has changed you.

Made me made at this place with taking its own ironic bullshit memes seriously and the embarrassing groupthink
Use to post everyday. Just started coming back recently
>>
File: larrydavid.jpg (72 KB, 305x196) Image search: [Google]
larrydavid.jpg
72 KB, 305x196
>>51728059
I lmao at it too.
>>
> abandoned firefox and chrome
> Running palememe
> Running Icescat
> Don't enable rpmfusion's nonfree repository
> Fuck around with ricing, make my DE unusable three times
> Fuck around with themes, DE seems to randomly decide how it looks
> Fuck around with coding, learn very little
>>
File: memes.jpg (3 MB, 4225x3437) Image search: [Google]
memes.jpg
3 MB, 4225x3437
>>51722642
>Upgraded from TN to IPS to CRT
>Switched from Intel/Nvidia to AMD/AMD
>Learned some programming (C++)
>Audiophile headphones (hd650)
>Model M
>Second monitor in portrait
>Firefox to furry moon
>Now cripplingly paranoid: disable cookies, disable Javascript, replaced Android with dumbphone, complain about muh freedoms to professors when they want to have meetings on skype
The paranoia is the worst. I used to enjoy technology. At least the CRTs are nice
>>
>>51728086
Can you tell me a bit more about this setup? I run Funtoo and this is interesting to me.
>>
>>51728154
Damn, you are dumb
>>
>>51728128
Found your problem. DEs.
>>
>linux
>beard
>basement
>>
>>51724837
Run OSx or Linux. You need antivirus with windows.
>>
>also have m50x
>also casio watch
>arch lives to the hype
>ricing is fun (currently not using riced desktop for gaming and shitposting)
>learned c, c++, python, shell scripting, html, css, and javascript
>now hosting a few websites
>people give a shit about privacy, even outside of the community
>latex is bomb
>received FreeCAD from Linux and now I'm saving up for a 3D printer
>>
File: IMG_3062.jpg (879 KB, 5184x3456) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3062.jpg
879 KB, 5184x3456
>>51728413
I forgot the picture.

currently at uni and working as a freelancer
>>
File: 1448835542877s.jpg (7 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1448835542877s.jpg
7 KB, 250x250
>>51726976
>doing it wrong
>>
>>51726790
>Use a firewall with a white list
>???

Well, here is my case
>/a/non
>Casually play some games, but play Dota most of time
>Companies spying on me had already started to bother me
>Windows 10 happened
>It literally takes a picture of you when it installs if you have a webcam
>literal botnet
>"I need to protect my privacy, I'm going to check /g/"
>lurk
>A few months later, I'm dual booting Elementary OS+Windows 7
>Nexus has no Gapps anymore
>Use Tox
>>
>>51728158
I don't think Funtoo's portage has too many differing changes from Gentoo's but this should help you get started

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Binary_package_guide

how ever automating it is a good learning experience so I'd recommend figuring that part out yourself.
>>
>>51728487
>>Use Tox

Is tox a meme?

I used it once in a VM and I REALLY liked it. But it looks kind of sketchy. Is it really secure? Seems like an insecure 4chan meme program that probably has buffer overflows and all sorts of meme problems everywhere.
>>
File: 20151021_215810.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20151021_215810.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>51728154
>Upgraded from TN to IPS to CRT

I like the way you think
>>
>>51728154
I didn't know they still made Cathode Ray Tube monitors. I thought they'd been obsolete for over a decade.
>>
>>51722642
>have 2 memeboards
t420 memepad
meme k7xx
memelux 558B
meme502
run arch
memccas 42
>>
>>51728257
I sort of enjoy not knowing how my computer is going to look when I open it.

I've tried three DEs so far. None of them are very good.
>>
>>51728487
They have total control of the HDD. They can change your settings, log your keystrokes, and do pretty much anything.

Nothing can save us. I'm going to have to learn to make my own drives from scratch.
>>
>dual dell ultrasharp ips displays
>mechanical keyboard
>LEDs a shit
>bought a thinkpad
>looking to get into linux/programming (for fun but hopefully I can use it in the real world also)
>It's 2015, the year is 1984
>understand the importance of digital freedoms
>>
>>51728736
Open source hardware won't exist until we make open source software to generate it, then have a young person kickstart it for it to be manufactured.
>>
>>51728662
PLEASE REPLY.

IS TOX A MEME OR NOT
>>
>>51728980
Last I heard, it was a broken protocol because of the maintainer
>>
>>51728487
all i read from that post is you trying way too hard to fit in
>>
>>51728966
> open source hardware won't exist until we make open source software to generate it

I can't tell if you're making fun of me or not.

Open source hardware will be viable whenever the means to make a hard/solid state drive are available to the masses or a new storage medium is invented that can be made with consumer tools.

Open source firmware shouldn't really be that hard; it's just complicated; I'm sure a community could form around making it.

Now that I think about it, we could probably found a community that produces hard drives and solid state drives with open-source firmware; relying on donations and/or from selling said drives.

I should really fucking learn to code; I've got a world to save now.
>>
>headphone
>pen
>mechanical keyboard
>track-ball
>ips
>>
>>51728994
>Last I heard, it was a broken protocol because of the maintainer

In what way?

I used it recently in a VM, one of the clients didn't work at all but uTox worked perfectly. It feels and seems like a really great chatclient.
>>
File: constuper.jpg (76 KB, 393x315) Image search: [Google]
constuper.jpg
76 KB, 393x315
> trackballs
> mechanical keyboards
> crts

Can someone explain why they're using obsolete technology? I can understand dumbphones and such to avoid being tracked and such, but keyboards, mice, and monitors all seem fairly mundane; why use old stuff?
>>
File: ivan.jpg (28 KB, 350x250) Image search: [Google]
ivan.jpg
28 KB, 350x250
>>51729114
I'm trying to start tox to use qutebrowser, but it complains that tox.ini doesn't exist.

Why? I installed it from the Fedora repositories; I thought they at least gave you the shit you needed to actually run what you install.
>>
File: m0crailLCW1qlvxm2o4_250.gif (366 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
m0crailLCW1qlvxm2o4_250.gif
366 KB, 250x188
>>51729132
>Not understand superior technology.
>Using plebian tech
>>
>>51729132
>thinks crt is a meme
let me guess, you also fell for the widescreen-monitor meme?
>>
>>51729145
Not sure what that is m8.

I ran it in a windows XP vm. Just ran the uTox.exe and it worked perfectly.

Chatted to a couple autists from le 4chin. Great client feels and looks amazing, I am looking forward to its development further tbqh.
>>
>>51727978
>using thinkpad edge
thinkpad edge is not thinkpad
>>
Can someone explain the benefit of dumbphones?

/g/ seems to love them, I'm wondering if I ought to jump on the dumbphone train.
>>
>>51729178
There's no particular benefit other than battery life. I just don't have a smartphone because I don't have any use for the extra features.
>>
>>51729150
>>51729172

> mocking me instead of explaining the benefit

Come on, guys. I'm trying to rise above the pleb technology. Help a guy out.

And widescreen monitors are all I've known. I haven't used a CRT since I was about 5.
>>
>>51729145
>>51729174
Oh it creates tox.ini when you run it. Or should.

Did you make an account? Show what dialog looks like
>>
>>51727038
What model is the hackintosh one?
>>
>>51728980
i use tox every day and while the protocol seemingly has issues and can be unstable, it does what it promises.
>>
>>51729218
Is it secure tho?

I'm concerned about exploits or vulnerabilities in the client.

Is the development being continued or has it been abandoned?
>>
>>51729194
Oh, I thought it was another botnet thing.

> Being stalked by the government using the GPS in smartphones
> Smartphones being loaded with botnet software to monitor everything you do on them

I mean, all of our texts/phone conversations are tapped regardless, but I was wondering if dumbphones offered anything in the way of slightly more privacy.
>>
>>51729207
>trackballs are ergonamic I assume? perfectly fine and less straining than a regular mouse for normal usage (don't have one myself just a guess)
>CRT's have good refresh rate, amazing color reproduction, but they're fuckheug no reason to buy one other than nostalgia/interest in retro tech, it does not offer any benefits great enough to use in place of modern montiors
>>
>>51729251
Well smartphones probably have more botnet in them since they have more software, but it doesn't really matter anyway since cell phones don't respect your privacy by design.
>>
>>51729208
> type "tox" into command line
> ERROR: toxini file 'tox.ini' not found

Same as when I tried to make the environment with tox -e mkenv.

Tried it as my regular account and as root; before I get it working, which should I be using to run it?

Actually package installed was
> python-tox-[version].noarch
>>
>>51729241
>Is the development being continued or has it been abandoned?

qtox is still being actively developed, yeah.
>>
>>51729278
fuck idk sorry man.

I literally just downloaded uTox on win xp and it "just werked" right away.
Maybe >>51729218
can help you.
>>
File: ohgod.jpg (42 KB, 202x246) Image search: [Google]
ohgod.jpg
42 KB, 202x246
>>51727978
>>
File: Frosty.jpg (135 KB, 868x881) Image search: [Google]
Frosty.jpg
135 KB, 868x881
>>51729270
Pretty much what I thought.

I was going to get a moto g with Android and maybe install ubuntu or some other linux distro to it.

Any phone recommendations?
>>
>>51729178
Much more durable, better battery life, less botnet, smaller, possibly better audio quality, much cheaper.

>>51729207
Higher refresh rates, great colors, good black levels in a dark room, no motion blur, fast response time, low input lag, and true multisync (displaying multiple resolutions "natively"). LCDs can do some of these reasonably well but not all at once - it's always a compromise when choosing TN vs IPS vs VA panels. CRTs offer fewer compromises in performance, and you can often get reasonably high-end CRTs practically for free. There's also some nostalgia involved and playing old vidya "how it was intended".

>>51729270
>cell phones don't respect your privacy by design
That's true in general, but over time, things have gotten worse, especially after 9/11. A pre-2001 phone on prepaid plan has probably a lot less botnet than a modern smartphone.
>>
>>51722642
nothing much except hating anime fags even more
>>
File: 1351531804230.jpg (42 KB, 473x477) Image search: [Google]
1351531804230.jpg
42 KB, 473x477
>>51729602
>hates weebs
>browses 4chan
>>
I dont buy stupid shit just because its cool, now if i dont need it i desire to buy it
I identify the meme i want to buy and see if its just a meme or a good product
Im slighlty more concerned about my privacy, not that i wasnt before, just a tad more
>>
File: Dis2.jpg (335 KB, 1440x1438) Image search: [Google]
Dis2.jpg
335 KB, 1440x1438
>>51729625
I know 4chan is an anime based site, but not everyone here are weeaboo degenerate. I respect your life choice, but your taste is not something I look upon.
>>
>>51729625
>>51729708
this, I like anime I think it can be great but a lot of it is just a bunch of weirdos who show off what they fap too like it's a badge of honor
>>
>>51729602
This.
Also, I realized after owing 6 thinkpads that they are shit, saving up fur a rMBP now to join the true master race.
>>
>>51729132
>mechanical keyboards
>obsolete
How stupid are you?
>>
>>51722642
How it feels being a mindless sheep?
>>
>>51726157
w2c watch?
>>
>>51728070
I don't run OSX any more, it was way too much upkeep/tinkering. I would love a MacBook but god damn are they expensive. I do absolutely love the docking station for this thing though.

>>51729214
T510 4313 with a different wireless card. Had to re-flash the bios to allow a different wireless card which was a massive pain in the ass. Like I said I gave up on running OSX a while ago.
>>
File: P_20151206_222117.jpg (4 MB, 4096x3072) Image search: [Google]
P_20151206_222117.jpg
4 MB, 4096x3072
>t-thanks /g/
>>
>>51723521
FUCK PHP FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT SHIZCO LANGUAGE WHAT THE FUCK WHO USES THIS
>>
File: Bate8.gif (994 KB, 500x317) Image search: [Google]
Bate8.gif
994 KB, 500x317
>>51725714
Switch from iphone 6 to moto g this yr too. Thanks to /g/.
>>
I bought a thinkpad, it was fine more or less, then got a macbook with much worse hardware and it's a fucking blessing in comparison. Started to use ssd independently of /g/. Android is shit. That about sums it up.
>>
>>51731404
How's the macbook a blessing in comparison?
>>
>>51731123
I have those exact same headphones.

The left one got a frayed wire, so I soldered in paperclips.

The paperclips disconnected so I actually bothered soldering in wires.

I tore apart a USB cable and took what looked like silver wires out and it sounds like a dream.

D-did I do good /g/?
>>
File: disgust.jpg (106 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
106 KB, 1280x720
>>51725714
> using firecox

Get Palemoon and Icecat.

Those two together do everything you could possibly want Firefox to do, and they do it better, faster, and freer.
>>
I installed uMatrix to my browsers.

Still trying to make 4chan work properly.

The whitelisting lasts across browser restarts, right? I don't think I can handle starting over.
>>
File: 1432100295614s.jpg (7 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1432100295614s.jpg
7 KB, 250x250
>>51723397
I didn't fall for the AMD meme
>>
File: Screenshot_20151207_010058.png (41 KB, 532x567) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20151207_010058.png
41 KB, 532x567
>>51731533
Be sure to click the lock to save your changes to the temporary scope. These 4chan settings work just fine for me.
>>
>ctrl F thinkpad
>19 matches
wew
>>
File: CIA2.jpg (4 KB, 193x199) Image search: [Google]
CIA2.jpg
4 KB, 193x199
>>51731579
memebook gonna meme
>>
File: wink.jpg (55 KB, 798x809) Image search: [Google]
wink.jpg
55 KB, 798x809
>>51731567
> Even including 4cdn

You are actually the best person I've ever met on 4chan. Contender for best person I've met on the internet.

My tactic for figuring out umatrix is to enable everything and disable things until something breaks. That sounds like it opens a security risk; mind sharing your strategy?

Have a cute anime girl for your troubles.
>>
>>51723726
Architect seems nice. Heard some people like it.
>>
>>51728698
Try a WM like awesome, IceWM of fvwm. Thier pretty simple to learn how to use and honestly probably better than most DEs out there.
>>
>>51731430
OSX is much more pleasant to use and posix-compliant, I got all the software I need and wine for few things I haven't found full alternatives to yet and I can switch to nix software at any moment if I wish without fucking around with some hobbyist os while keeping all proprietary software too, trackpad is much more comfortable than trackpoint (was skeptical about that too, I'm talking about unibody one btw) especially with gestures in mind, also it's metal, that's probably not something much people would face but I somehow cracked the palmrest on my thinkpad, haven't dropped it or anything harsh, cosmetics but still... Also cooling broke on me 2 times, got too tired changing it and said fuck it. Little things like backlit keyboard really come useful sometimes. Overall it's just much more pleasant to use and to touch and to look at and it may sound silly to most people but you really start to appreciate things like that when you try them. Only thing I can wish for is that I weren't a poorfag and could afford a macbook with modern hardware. Also fucking .ds_store. That's about my only complaint so far.
I wouldn't even consider thinkpads now as long as I'm not in situation with no hardware whatsoever and with money enough only for used old thinkpad and some ssd for it.
>>
>>51731616
i just installed umatrix for the first time a few hours ago, but it follows the same premise as noscript, just in a more esoteric and granular interface. maybe my autism is finely tuned for this but it seems fairly obvious what to whitelist and to not (temporarily or otherwise). in 4chan's case it makes sense to permanently whitelist the 1st level domain, doesn't need any explanation. permanently whitelisting the cdn is also necessary as it's going to be a point of contact for a lot of content. the tricky part was the captcha, i kept an eye on the google section while loading up the captcha to see where resources were being loaded, so that i only had to allow the necessary pieces.

in most cases on sites you don't visit often, you'll want to temp whitelist the main domain and any legitimate cdns that follow while ignoring the usual google whitenoise as well. you can get a lot more granular with your whitelisting choices if you understand what you're whitelisting specifically. most of them are fairly obvious and literal, but xhr are http requests made by forms and scripts on the page, like my 4chan X was initially broken until i allowed the requests to be made, and recaptcha could not contact the service until xhr's for its domain was allowed to be made. frames were also necessary because it uses html frames to display the selection box.

hope this helps.
>>
>>51731677
I really love how they look but then i took a closer look and the fact that it's only got a single usb port requiring daisy chaining and a lowly core M, ehhh.
>>
>>51731789
addendum, i'll only do a full whitelist on sites i want all of the options open for, when i end up on some shitty news site i don't want it accessing cookies, so i've set umatrix to delete blocked cookies after it writes them. what the cookies box apparently does is allow them to be written but not sent back to the site unless its been greenlit. what i'll do on these sites is only enable the script, leaving plugins/frames/xhr disabled as well, which should give me the majority of the functionality necessary to make the page readable if it isn't already, without exposing me to other possible bad things. in this scenario, css and images are already permanently whitelisted for the * scope.
>>
>>51729308
Nigga, he is talking about the python build tool tox and not your memeshit skypealternative.
>>
File: pillow.png (112 KB, 782x577) Image search: [Google]
pillow.png
112 KB, 782x577
>>51731789
I use both umatrix and noscript.

You've been an enormous help in getting things to work; generally I know what to enable in noscript and then I can go from there in matrix; though for some reason TvTropes' search engine refuses to work with umatrix.

Ah, well. Thank you so much for your help, based anon. Here's another cute anime girl.
>>
File: DfVE7hO.jpg (322 KB, 638x825) Image search: [Google]
DfVE7hO.jpg
322 KB, 638x825
Learned how sli works.
My droid turbo from 2014 still has the largest battery on the market.
What to look for in benchmarks.
Airflow in a desktop.
How much thermal paste to use.
A lot of you schmucks actually use iphones
>>
File: Screenshot_20151207_014116.png (52 KB, 547x616) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20151207_014116.png
52 KB, 547x616
>>51731901
i just tried it having never been there before and this seems to work (match the dark green boxes)
>>
>>51722642
i realized that almost everyone on 4chan has psychical disorder
>>
>>51722642
>mech kb
>moto g
>ThinkPad
>Linux
>>
>>51722642
I was already using linux before encountering /g/ but this the main reason I sticked with this board.

I don't have money to throw away so I dont felt for the consumerism meme yet but I am considering a 55g Topre keyboard once I get an occasion or if my current rubberdome dies and I feel like buying myself a gift.

I however felt for the desktop rice meme on my free time or during sleepless nights.I sometime post in the threads but I star away from the anime wallpaper meme.

For 10 years now I havent used windows as my main OS as I chose Debian or Debian based.
The Arch linux shill and the fact that Arch hater don't have real arguments except that implying it's difficult to install make me consider switching for it in a close future.

Finally, I now look in my univ' garbage to look for cheap pieces and build myself a PC for free.
You'd be impressed by how often people throw away a full prebuilt computer when in reality you just have to change the PSU
>>
File: noend.jpg (111 KB, 500x454) Image search: [Google]
noend.jpg
111 KB, 500x454
> Developed disdain for windows users
> Started going further to the linux side
> Use only free software when I can
> Use umatrix and noscript
> Will spend hours just getting my porn to work
> This is what I am now
> I love myself
>>
>>51732158
>Not simply downloading the HTML5 video from porn sites
>>
>>51732211

[spoiler]forgot I could do that.[/spoiler]
>>
File: 1449255383272.png (669 KB, 1000x1450) Image search: [Google]
1449255383272.png
669 KB, 1000x1450
Memes I have fallen for:

>T420
>970
>2500k
>Fractal R4
>Cooler Master Hyper 212
>SSD
>ATH M50
>Xubuntu
>Python

Th-Thanks.
>>
>>51732211
what tool are you using?
>>
I realized that I want to become the little girl.
>>
>>51722642
>Confirmed that linux is garbage no matter how much people shill it on here. Great if you are NEET and a weeb tho.

>Frown upon consumer grade laptops like you said when i cand get a good HP/Lenovo/Dell device for like 200-300 Euro

>Begun to think Apple isn't all that bad

>Realized people are complete autists when it comes to building a PC

>Got a bit paranoid about being constantly spied on by Google or Microsoft when in fact i couldn't give a shit less considering i am living in Romania
>>
I'll type them in order:

>Built own PC
>Bought a T420
>Bought Koss PortaPro
>Started lifting, well this is from /fit/
>Installed Archlinux
>Bought a T430
>Now using Archlinux as only OS
>Currently learning LATEX
>>
>>51732356
>2500k
what? why? that cpu is a beast. i'm still using it and running at 4.5ghz no problem
>>
Came here for the watch threads, and kinda go sucked into the Dankpad meme and tried Linux.

Though it was mostly an alright example, plus i was into programming and PC building even beforehand.
>>
>Used Falcon guide to build my own PC
>bought a T60p 4 years ago
>1$ mousepad
>Mech Keyboard
>Switched to Loonix entirely instead of mostly being in windows
>love C
>learning D
I'm sure there's more, but I don't really attribute all of this to /g/
>>
>>51722642
It hasn't. I fell for /g/ memes before I even started frequenting /g/.
>Have had Thinkpads for the past 15 years
>Have had IPS monitors since they first became a thing
>Mechanical keyboards since Model M
>>
>>51728007
>learning languages

Learn how to engineer. Faggot.
>>
File: Bridget.png (671 KB, 761x899) Image search: [Google]
Bridget.png
671 KB, 761x899
Oh boy here we go again™

>Installed a 17 bay rack on my room
>Consecrated a computer wth an i5 and 16 gigs of ram to PFsence and enabled everything from caching, antivirus to mdns. (mfw this actually was a good thing because 30 PC network with inept university students living with me)
>Got into programing
>Got back into hardware into and circuits out of whim
>Learn proper networking.
>Have 4 servers at home (1 NAS - 1 HTTP - 1 Virtualization - 1 Seedbox/Plexbox)
>Started my own second hand hardware shop on eJewbay
>Did not buy a thinkpad
>Installed Linux, BSD and OSX on their proper platforms( IDE, Servers , shitops [by that order])
>Bailed out on the social network meem and crawled back into the usenet/IRC channels.
>Currently learning how to use LaTex
>Studiying for degree.
>Actually not killing myself right now.

And thats not all, but fuck me if i'm going to mension it all.
>>
>>51732691
>all memes are bad
>>
>Bought meme watch SNK803
>Bought Kingston SSD because fuck you guys it's cheap as shit
>Bought Corsair mech keyboard because I now have money saved from SSD
>Eat straight butter
>Shill free software even though I don't use it
>>
>>51727978
>CRT fags
This is a meme?
>>
>>51734271

>>>/vr/ the meem is stong
>>
>>51732245
[spoiler]spoiler doesn't work on /g/[/spoiler]
>>
>>51723827
why is hungarian so different from the rest ?
Shit is so hard to understand.
>>
>>51737965
dude its fucking basic english alphabet with some extra letters that are almost the same only sound a bit different....
>>
>>51724589
The DAC part is the biggest meme.
>>
File: 1449436781522.jpg (16 KB, 252x317) Image search: [Google]
1449436781522.jpg
16 KB, 252x317
>didnt fell for the cherry mk meme
>didnt fell for the topre meme
>about to fall for the novatouch meme
>>
File: 1360420208204.jpg (484 KB, 3888x2592) Image search: [Google]
1360420208204.jpg
484 KB, 3888x2592
Long list...
-I realized that /g/ has been /v/ 2.0 (with tech support) for years now
-I have a different perspective of Google, (not only because of the le buttnet meem)
-I wouldn't buy a laptop or prebuild unless it's reputable "enterprise grade"
-I spend hours researching serious tech related purchases
-started using one of the big two editors for a variety of tasks
-use multiple distros
-avoid purchasing and using technology that tracks me where I can
-next build is a high end passthrough for Windows on GNU/Linux
>>
>>51733024
>>Started my own second hand hardware shop on eJewbay
waste of effort. Have fun getting scammed by both customer's and jewbay. Remember the customer is always right even if they have broken or stolen parts from your product when you sent them a complete working item.
>>
I'm thinking about learning c++ even though it won't land me a job
>>
>>51722988
i work for european mid sized ISP and we are not botnet.
>>
>>51723827
Szia, nehéz volt megtanulni a LaTeX-et? Én is megszeretném tanulni.
>>
I bought an SSD.
I use Arch Linux.
I use Firefox and DuckDuckJew.
I use Deluge.
>>
>>51722642
>servers under bed
>multiple beige boxes
>changing/fixing hardware on the carpet
confirmed that this was drawn by a cyberpunk know-nothing faggot.
>>
>>51739061
oh yeah, and i've got that network administraor job thanks to /g/ and falling for some memes that led me to run some servers for me, then my friends, amd then for some small companies and then i got contract. without cs degree.

true story.
>>
I've grown out of it now, but you guys had a really good hold on me for a while.

>Thinkpad
>Audiotechnica
>Linux
>Model M
>Terrorist watch
>>
>>51739147
>servers under bed
this, fuck i sold old ibm blade few weeks after, then loudness was incredbile, not to metion powerusage of 120 w 24/7 Fuck you and your meme ibm blade servers.
>>
>>51722642
>Never thought Linux could replace Windows
>Never doubted Java/C# as a useful language
>Slammed an NVidia card into my PC and never thought about it again
>Studied computer science at uni and learned computer architecture
>Own some Apple products
>I game until my eyes are red and love every minute of it
>will probably upgrade to Zen when it comes out
Damn it feels good to be able to think for myself instead of listening to dickheads on the internet!
>>
> Thinkpad(s)
> Homeserver
> old mechanical keyboards
> Debian GNU/Linux
> MacBook
>>
>>51739511
>Thinking you could run an enterprise server as a home server
I bet you probably fried your iPhone in the microwave when /g/ told you could.
>>
>>51728085
As a stem major my profs would *make* us use LaTeX for homework
>>
>>51738616
I only ship to my own country and I have a warning that if the client is too stupid to read He doesn't get jack shit back.
Saved my ass 12/13.
>>
>>51739945
No matter what you do, it's still a gamble because there is no way to prove the buyer is lying about the item and jewbay has an unwritten policy to always side with the buyer because screwing a seller is much less damaging to the company.
Like you said, having the right conditionals written and selected on the listing and only shipping minimizes the damage but unless you list everything as for parts/not working you should expect to lose some money. Also, dat 10% + jew tax
>>
>LaTeX
"The easiest way to do something is probably the wrong way"
>>
I setup FTP and charge people £5 a month to get movies, password changes monthly - some people share the password but I don't really care thanks g
>>
>>51740456
This is what I don't get
Why would you use Latex in the age of advanced word processors? Isn't it just academia masturbation at this point? I'm genuinely curious what makes it better in 2015
>>
>>51728662
>>51728980

Sorry for taking so long to respond.
Tox does what it promises to do. You can have 100% private conversations. It has some costs, though. Due to not using a server to store user data, you cannot send messages if the receiver is offline. If you try to send big files (>50MB), theres a big chance it can break halfway and you'll need to start again.

For conversations, its pretty great.
>>
>>51722642
I learned that any site that tells me the specific way to make my password is most likely storing it in a plaintext file.
>>
>>51741245
>You can have 100% private conversations
not if my PCs compromised therefore it isn't 100% private shill
>>
>>51729012
Could you explain how? My privacy concerns happened far before I started browsing /g/. I just thought I was fine as long as I didn't use Google Apps.

Windows 10 happened, I thought it was possible to debotnet it and I tried to. When I learned even the LGBT Edition tries to phone home, I started searching /g/ to see how they were dealing with it. My plan was to come here, create a thread and ask a bunch of things (I actually asked in the first Windows 10 threads), but then I just lurked more.
>>
>>51728736
So what if they log it? They need to send it somewhere, and for that they need to use the Internet. Explain how a white list based software firewall or a hardware firewall doesn't solve this.
>>
>>51729327
Android itself is fine, just use a ROM that is based on AOSP and don't install Gapps. Install Fdroid to get the programs you neee.
>>
nothing yet really, just being a complete jew about what I buy. My DT 770 Pro 80 ohm headphones were bought from a facebook musician page for 50 bucks, my sansa clip was bought at the advice of /mu/ many years ago, built my pc around 2012, can't remember if I got help from /g/. I'm a poorfag, so I haven't fallen for the mechanical keyboard meme yet. Been thinking about getting into Python.
>>
>>51740745
If you care about your documents looking professional, your best bet is learning how to use latex. If you need to write documents with a very specific format, latex templates are much easier to use than the template systems in things like libreoffice. It's useful if you want to use complex math expressions beyond simple one-line algebra equations. In practice, once you have a few templates for the kinds of documents you write regularly, it is actually a faster workflow than a WYSIWYG editor, with easier access to more powerful features.
>>
>>51741676
Interesting. So there is value to learning it for certain areas of study where formatting needs to be fine tuned. How do people stumble on Latex in their professional careers? Is it a requirement for certain papers or is it simply a better way to reach a final product that could be painstakingly done on a WYSIWYG?
>>
>x201t
>mechanical keyboard
>Dell U2515H
>400 dollar and 200 dollar headphones
>800 dollar and 300 dollar bookshelf speakers
>3 amps 3 DACs
>chromium instead of chrome
I got more stuff than I realized
>>
>thinkpad
>piles of old thinkpads
>funtoo
>sicp
>mechanical keyboard
>bookshelf speakers
>expensive headphones
>usb dac + amp
>csci degree
>home server
>vps
>self-built computer
>NEET
;_;
>>
>>51741942
>/g/ taught me to consume but I never picked up that I need to do something in order to afford it
>>
>>51741779
Some teachers require it for lab reports in college. Though if you use it without being asked, it's a toss-up as to whether you look like a model student or pretentious.

If you write longer documents (more than 5 pages) that will be physically printed, latex is almost always a better looking, more readable choice. Seriously, if you look at something written in latex vs. a ms Word like program, 99% of the time the document prepared in Word looks like dogshit in comparison. If you're job involves writing math at any level above high school, you'll end up embedding latex in your work at the very least.
>>
>>51742003
most of this stuff is dirt cheap and has lasted me years though
>>
>>51722919
Same.
>>
>>51742046
>mechanical keyboards
>dac +amp
>home server
>speakers
c'mon mate. /g/ stuff is a fucking black hole for your wallet.
>>
>>51742036
I see. Thanks for that long introduction and explanation. As a data sci meme major that is going to be facing a lot of technical reports in the near future it's probably the right thing to get familiarized with Latex now.
>>
>>51742081
pretty sure i've spent plenty more on food and alcohol
>>
>>51726275
what's wrong with abp?
>>
>>51742175
it's not some special snowflake version that blocks everything and does not succumb to whitelists
I'ts not a DNS level adblocker
>>
>>51742251
so it's okay for the averagy joe?
or is it 'botnet'?
>>
I now have a trackball and use it everyday despite not liking it all that much more than a traditional mouse.
>>
>>51742299
it's fine unless you want to be autistic or ideological (practically synonyms) about your use of an adblocker
I think abp stopped blocking certain ads though at one point under pressure and then the developer dropped the project
I forget what all the drama was about but I'm sure you can find it out or some fucking fairy on here will correct me
>>
>>51742299
>>51742418
It's because of the acceptable ads whitelist. By default, ABP doesn't block ads in its whitelist which is based on certain guidelines and these ads are considered non-intrusive.

However, my personal problem is that in those guidelines, it never specifically says ads cannot track you which is ridiculous to me. How can an ad be acceptable if it's datamining you?
>>
I lost the little hope I had in humanity
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 43

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.