[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Want to use W10s features >Don't want MS rooting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
>Want to use W10s features
>Don't want MS rooting around in my shit
Has anyone thought of developing a program that sends spoofed info about your computer so that Cortana still works because it thinks everything is running smoothly?
>>
>>51722035
No because the developers capable of that are all using Linux.
>>
yeah, it's called cryptolocker or something
>>
>>51722089
>>
>>51722035
Run Windows in a vm
>>
>>51722089
Yes but what if we pay you
>>
>>51722035
>>Don't want MS rooting around in my shit
what shit do they even root around in?
I don't save/do anything illegal, all I do is shitpost on 4chan and play video games all day. What do I have to worry about? I really don't care if they're selling usage stats or whatever, and I use a hosts file to block advertisements/infected sites.

I'm thinking about upgrading and the only thing I can see in my way is the /g/ bogeyman.
>>
File: 1389057478618.jpg (90 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1389057478618.jpg
90 KB, 1280x720
>>51722688
Fun fact: You can't use hosts file to block M$-owned domains
>>
>>51722754
Third party solutions?
Also, I still don't know why I would even want to block them. What gets phoned home, exactly?
>>
>>51722774
Everything
>>
>>51722788
application usage, internet traffic, the works?
Sounds a little too tinfoil to be true, but hey I've been wrong before.
>>
>>51722774
K9 web filtering may work, and haven't tried using we.msc to block m$ but I'd bet that won't work
>>
>>51722774
literally everything

the moment you start typing something it phones home
>>
>>51723040
No, it doesn't.

First and foremost, the Cortana service, which has the capability to use personal information based on your typing or voice input, is off by default. You have to specifically enable it.

Second, the information you type or speak isn't collected randomly and stored for use by Microsoft. It represents input. If you ask Cortana to create an appointment with a friend at a specific location, the service needs to be able to identify that friend from your contacts and identify that location to add to your calendar. Those names, locations, and other details are stored in your personalized dictionary. As Microsoft explains:

To give you text suggestions and auto-corrections that actually help, we make your personalized dictionary by using a sample of your typed and handwritten words.

The typing data includes a sample of characters and words you type, changes you manually make to text and words you add to your dictionary. We automatically take out things that could potentially be used to identify you, like IDs and IP addresses.

[...]

We use tiny samples of your scrubbed typing and handwriting info to improve our dictionaries and handwriting recognition for everybody who uses Windows, when you turn on typing, inking, and speech data.

That's not a keylogger, by any definition of the word.

excerpt from http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-tries-to-clear-the-air-on-windows-10-privacy-furor/
>>
File: 1449402675633.jpg (124 KB, 1174x720) Image search: [Google]
1449402675633.jpg
124 KB, 1174x720
>>51722873
>Sounds a little too tinfoil to be true

really? YOU are their product. just like facebook. i dont attack anyone that chooses to use it - do what you want but at least be honest with yourself.

multi billion dollar companies dont just suddenly decide to give away what was formerly their bread and butter free of charge for no reason.
>>
File: But that_s Wrong.jpg (5 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
But that_s Wrong.jpg
5 KB, 150x150
>>51723219
It's still their bread and butter. Giving it away for the first year of launch is a ploy to convert users from older versions of Windows and other operating systems to regain some of the market share that Crapple and variants of Gahnoo/Likucks have gained ones the years.
After the 1 year mark, they're going to slap the price tag back on it.
>>
>>51723294
over* the years
>>
>>51723114
Why is it done in the cloud though. Why can't the only things MS' servers see be encrypted gobbledygook.
>>
>>51723219
All that means is that it uses usage data to target users more effectively, all identifiable information has been thoroughly scrubbed. They do not read through personal data like emails, chat text, skype calls, private files, etc. The most uniquely identifying thing about it is an advertising ID that gets sent out, which you can disable. It is in no different to how Google, Apple, or Android handle it, with the exception that Google really does comb through your emails and chat.

>>51723343
Overhead. Encrypted traffic is slow and heavy, and if nothing identifiable is being stored then there's no need for encryption.
>>
>>51723418
Forgot to add that I'll concede that it should have been stored using a local db instead of "the cloud," but I understand that for their services to WAI the data needed to be pooled from multiple sources to ensure quality of service.
>>
>>51723294
>strawman

The fact that Microsoft sells analytics data gathered from Windows 10 OS users is not disputable. They do. Deal with it.

Giving it away free was just to get people in the door. After that they're moving from a one multiple OS company to service that spans all devices. From home devices, to computers to mobile phones. One unified platform all of which support the same apps for developers. Included in that is accurately tracking individual habits across all devices and selling that information to advertisers. I would know, I own MS stock and pay attention to investor relations information.

inb4 tinfoil
>>
File: setup1.png (13 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
setup1.png
13 KB, 1024x768
Just read it
I've always felt my typing input would be more personalized if only it sent my contact information and calendar details, as well as all other "associated" input information to Microsoft ( i.e. literally any sound the mic pics up, for speech recognition purposes)

And I can finally have my very own advertising ID that universally recognized between applications!
>>
File: 236753244_fd9f6008f1.jpg (127 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
236753244_fd9f6008f1.jpg
127 KB, 500x333
>>51723294
>to regain some of the market share that variants of Gahnoo/Likucks have gained ones the years.
>>
>>51722754
Its not like that.
If I make a program for Linux and hardcode the IPs, the program will also bypass host resolution.

Its not Microsoft giving their domains special treatment in the host resolution process.

>lrn2netwrkng
>>
>>51723517
Not strawman, bruh. You posited that Windows was no longer their bread and butter. It is.
I never said they don't sell analytics, what I'm saying is that it's not bringing in the majority of their revenue, that's what Windows and MS Office is doing. The ads and shit are just icing on top.
>>
I did the windows 10 custom installer and checked almost all the privacy choices to "off"

windows 10 has reset all my choices to "on" twice now. without any notification. I just go back to check on them occasionally and lo and behold

I cant think of any way that resetting people privacy settings can in any way "improve their user experience"
>>
>>51723602

The IPs aren't hardcoded though.
Some stuff automatically resolves to DNS queries.
"Security" feature in case your hosts file gets hacked.
>>
>>51723602
It's exactly like that. Windows has it built in that even if you use the hosts file to resolve msn.com to 127.0.0.1, the entry will be ignored.
If you're on Linux, you're not using Windows.
>lrn2readingcpmprehension
>>
>>51722089
pretty much what this guy said
>>
>>51722688
Nothing. If you're a normal person with friends and family you can use Windows 10.
Even if you have questionable videos, I doubt they can see them
>>
>>51723517
But if none of that analytic data is indentifiable, what's the big deal?

>>51723540
Perfect example of tinfoil-esque paranoia and jumping to conclusions without educating yourself on the language or specifics at all.
see >>51723114 re: Personalization
As far as the advertising ID goes, guess what? You can turn that off too and it won't get sent out, imagine that! Furthermore, the advertising ID that gets sent out, if anything, is a boon as it personalizes advertisements rather than serving you shit you might not be interested in. Either way, you still see ads in apps that have ads.
>>
>>51723605
Are you saying they passed up billions of possible revenue selling Windows 10 to regain some linux users? You're out of your mind. There's a longer term strategy. Again, investor relations don't lie. I own the stock and they've said as much plainly. I'm not going to argue what I know to be true.

Going forward the users are the value and their information are the value, not the cost of the software sold. To recoup some of that you'll notice they're upping the enterprise pricing model to a per cpu core basis. The ads and shit is not icing on the top, it's their objective as far as consumers are concerned.

Companies like Facebook, that sell nothing, are valued at what they are for a reason. You, the user, is ultimately their product. Going forward this will apply to Microsoft as well. My point still stands.
>>
>>51723638
thats called a personalized experience

Microsoft has personally fixed your experience, feel free to experience windows properly now from a more personal perspective
>>
>>51722688
>lenothingtohidenothingtofearface

ebin
>>
>>51723718
>But if none of that analytic data is indentifiable, what's the big deal?

Yes it is. Your advertising ID is directly related to all of your activity. All in one place. Microsoft absolutely can identify you. How else do you think they're able to advertise with "95%*" accuracy, magic?
>>
File: 1440284926127.jpg (67 KB, 540x960) Image search: [Google]
1440284926127.jpg
67 KB, 540x960
>>51722873
If it sounds too tinfoil to be true, it is true.
We learned tinfoils was right all the time after all shit that have been exposed the last years.
>>
Microsoft was rather brilliant when making deals with hardware manufacturers. Surely they realized the majority of users are too stupid to even consider using an alternative OS. How would they even know they exist when nearly all computers come with Windows when you buy them?

Better just use what you have and take it up the ass then learn to hack computers and use a hacker os like any non windows or apple system
>>
Ok I'm wondering is there a guide or link to a site to disable all the m$ shit for W10 or is it all pointless?
>>
>>51724178
Did you not read the thread? There's no way to turn it off. If you have to use windows use 7 or 8.1 and hide the windows 10 updates, google around for the list.
>>
haha gahneesh earned his two rupees and ran off when it got rough, pity.
>>
>>51723294
that makes no sense at all to "slap the price tag back on it", mr bate.
>>
File: Cannot_modify.png (50 KB, 1426x752) Image search: [Google]
Cannot_modify.png
50 KB, 1426x752
>>51723540
It gets worse
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.