[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
College for Software Devs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: college--diploma--hat-jpg.jpg (32 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
college--diploma--hat-jpg.jpg
32 KB, 640x360
Does industry really not care about a college degree for software devs, or is it just a meme?

The reason I ask is because I pulled a prank on our lab machines at my uni and am probably going to get kicked out. I've applied to transfer to other schools, but am just toying with the idea of dropping out of college altogether.
>>
If you don't a degree you better have a really good portfolio
>>
from experience, if you can do the job and answer the basic tier questions the hiring manager has for you, then you are solid. from private welding and fabrication shop..
>>
Experience and a good portfolio > Education
>>
>>51721032
>I pulled a prank on our lab machines
What did you do?
>>
>>51721794
Made a self-replicating keylogger. They took it too seriously
>>
>>51721032
>Does industry really not care about a college degree for software devs, or is it just a meme?
Depends on the line of work and your location (as in the rate of higher education degrees per person).

>The reason I ask is because I pulled a prank on our lab machines at my uni and am probably going to get kicked out. I've applied to transfer to other schools, but am just toying with the idea of dropping out of college altogether.
Well, drop out of college >>>> never having attended college at all, from experience.
>>
>>51722014
That doesn't really sound like a prank dude. That's pretty malicious.
>>
>>51721032
you should try admitting you were wrong and a nigger so you can stay in school

you probably have some reasonable development skills so don't shoot yourself in the foot by getting kicked out
>>
>>51722247
I talked to them about it and apologized. At the very least, I'll be getting kicked out of the CS program. I'll probably get expelled though.
>>
>>51722361
Getting expelled in college means you're gonna have a hard time transfering. I wish you luck.
>>
>>51721032
>Does industry really not care about a college degree for software devs, or is it just a meme?
Most companies don't, except of course if you don't have any working experience in your resume...
>>
>>51722696
I don't have much formal work experience (i'm 19) but I run a pretty popular website. Think that's enough to get me hired at local companies?
>>
>>51722843
Yeah, easily. Especially if it looks good and you can talk about decisions that went into it. Bonus if you've made changes to attract more visitors and bring that up.
>>
>>51722875
cool, thanks anon.
>>
>>51722843
What website?
>>
>>51724043
Ever heard of facebook? It's upandcoming, but I think I'm doing a good job with it.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.