[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beginner coder here, looking to learn my first language. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3
File: 20150702_214114.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20150702_214114.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
Beginner coder here, looking to learn my first language. What do guys recommend?
>>
>>51720759
AVS
>>
>>51720759
Ocaml
>>
>>51720759
Outlands!
>>
>>51720759
just take the cs50x on edx its a free online intro to cs and teaches you the fundamentals and a little bit of c
>>
>>51720792
>>51720810
Any particular reason why?
>>
Learn to program first. Then learning languages is simple
>>
File: 1337471258263.jpg (129 KB, 460x346) Image search: [Google]
1337471258263.jpg
129 KB, 460x346
If you want to understand what you're doing, a low-level one like C++. If you learn Java, or any other high-level programing language first, it will be harder to learn C++ from there.
>>
Assembly
>>
>>51720759
It really depends on what you eventually would like to work on, but Python is a good place to start for the complete novice. Now, let the flames and trolling commence...
>>
File: 1449070939589.png (481 KB, 811x599) Image search: [Google]
1449070939589.png
481 KB, 811x599
>>51720759
Scheme and do SICP, that's what I did anyways
>>
>>51720861
Yeah so if you could instead of being a smug tripfag cocksucker and not helping out at all, give some advice on how to learn that then?
>>
>>51720759

Just learn javascript and buy a macbook pro
>>
>>51721145
This is accurate. Python's fairly easy to learn, high level, doesn't have a lot of absolute bullshit surrounding it. It's available on pretty much every platform, has a lot of support libraries, but it isn't some kind of "beginner" language - you can do real things with it. Off the top of my head Ren`Py turns it into a game engine that's used for just about every 'visual novel' out there; and it was used for the original reference client for Bittorrent.

It's not my favourite language by a long shot, but it's today's BASIC without a doubt, except not shit-tier.
>>
Java
it will give you a very good idea of OOP
>>
>>51720759
javascript
>>
>coder
>>
>>51720759
install gentoo
>>
>>51720759
>coder

Fuck off and never come back faggot
>>
drop "coder"
start with the greeks
>>
>>51720759
Start with these:
>JavaScript
>Python
>html

Then when you learn some of the basics and shit:
>C#
>Java
>C/C++
>>
>>51720759
where was this photo taken?
>>
>>51720759
Python 3 is good for beginners. Simple syntax, popular with a lot of support, easy to read, no hassle, no bullshit.
>>
is python oop?
>>
What are some good Python courses for someone that already programs in C/C++? That is, without too much introductory stuff about logic and whatnot
>>
Any version of C.

Useful, teaches basic skills, and is still pretty widely used so it could benefit you in a job search.
>>
>>51724976
>without too much introductory stuff about logic and whatnot
Can't really help you there, but codeacademy might have some stuff on Python
>>
>>51720759
read sicp, learn lisp using guile
>>
>>51725241
I'll check there, thanks
>>
C#. It's C-like, so you'll be able to switch to other languages like C/C++/Java very easily after you learn it, it handles the low level things like garbage collection for you, so you don't get bogged down while you're still learning, and it's got a rich standard library, so you can do things like make your computer talk to you out of your speakers in literally (I think?) 2 lines of code.

If you're on Linux, I'm unsure. Java is the closest thing to C#, it can be slightly weird in places, but it's ok. Python is often recommended, but I wouldn't advise it - I've seen many beginner programmers learn python, and then have serious trouble switching to other languages, as python abstracts programming so far that potential programmers don't really understand how their code works.
>>
>>51725371
>teaching someone to be reliant on microsoft for the rest of their life
you can't be serious
>>
>>51725433
What? I specifically mention that one of the benefits of learning C# is the ease that you can switch to other languages - then I listed 3 other languages that can easily run on windows/linux/most other operating systems.
>>
Python, trust me man.
>>
>>51720759
python
python
python
ignore the C/C++ fags
java will want make you want to commit suicide within a week
>>
>>51726140
No Java is not that much harder than Python. Although I'd recommend starting with Python
>>
Start with Python if you want to code programs and if you want to make websites then you should learn HTML
>>
https://www.thenewboston.com/videos.php
>>
>>51720759
Basic
>>
Python is sometimes like pseudocode, so it's a pretty good way to start. However, I would still start on C since it gives me way more awareness on what my code is doing. Any of the two are great.
Just learn how to program, the language is secondary. Basically learn logic, algorithms, and problem solving and coding comes out naturally.
>>
>>51724956
Yes python supports full oo
>>
c++ or Java
>>
>>51727577
it doesn't just support OO - it's fundamentally an object-oriented language. It can be used in other ways (e.g. map/filter/reduce provide some limited access to functional programming), but it's standing in OOP and reaching into FP, not standing in some neutral place and reaching into OOP and FP.

Sorry if that sounds adversarial - I just wanted to expand on your answer.
>>
>>51727965
I'm not the other dude, but I like this answer. It doesn't come across as adversarial to me.
>>
C learn c
>>
>>51726480
Well in order to execute those algo u need a language to strt
>>
Start with C++ and after that any other lenguaje sólo be easy.
>>
Start with HTML/CSS (not programming). I recommend this:
https://www.codecademy.com/en/skills/make-a-website

After you get through with that work through JavaScript. Make a webpage and experiment with it as you go through this book:
http://eloquentjavascript.net/

This book also explains a lot of fundamental CS stuff.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.