[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm just about to pull the SSD trigger /g/. Am I going to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: computer.png (270 KB, 625x339) Image search: [Google]
computer.png
270 KB, 625x339
I'm just about to pull the SSD trigger /g/. Am I going to regret it? Is it placebo meme or is the impact really that noticeable? Samsung, Sandisk or Crucial?
>>
Highly noticeable, especially loading maps for games and stuff for example battlefield 4. Me and my buddy play it and his loads 3x quicker than me because I store it on my HDD
>>
>>51719745
Tbh I don't play any current gen games, only toaster tier ones, most intense thing I play regularly is probably Dwarf Fortress. I'm more concerned about reliability, I'm fed up with shitty HDDs shitting themselves after negligible shock damage after a year.
>>
So how about it, /g/?
>>
good until it breaks after two weeks
>>
>>51719797
then ssd is the way to go.

>>51720059
niceme.me
>>
You're like 5 years late to the party.
>>
>>51720059
I'm not getting a kingston anon
>>51720071
I know, but I'm in it for the tech, not the memes
>>
Where are the shills when you need 'em? So which brand do you think is the best bet? I'm partial to Sandisk because their microSDs are god tier, but I don't know about their SSD division much. Should I go for the plus, the ultra, or something completely different?
>>
>>51719717
World of difference.

Samsung evo seem the fastest for the lowest price, but I hear they have reliability issues.

Haven't heard anything bad about SanDisk.
>>
>>51720229

>hahahah guys what do I le buy???? Xdddd I'm a retard dssdsssssshueheh

State a budget

Check a list like logical increments.

Read reviews on whatever ssds you think are appropriate.

Make a decision.

Find a good deal.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>51720428
Well pardon me for asking for tech opinions on my personal tech review site.

Budget is 100 yuros
>>
Stop talking about it and fucking do it! This is the best purchase after a decent processor that you could possibly make. Just make sure not to use it for old games. They wont work.
>Anachronox
>>
Random side question, about what size SSD would one need to store an average person's steam library? Or at the very least maybe 4-5 games that get swapped out?
>>
>>51720478
what is that, like 50 cents now?
>>
SSDs are not a meme, but "SSDs are a meme" is a meme. The only people who say that are people who
-used a 90s cloning software that didn't support TRIM, I know a lot of 90s faggots always spout "hard drive technologies never changed over time" and its why they stick with their dos based cloning shit
-bought them when the technology was brand new in 2007 and indeed sucked
-have a bottleneck somewhere else such as a slow ass cpu and sata I
>>
>>51721282

4-5 AAA games + OS + apps: 230gb

So 250 is the comfiest and best bang for the buck.

Else depends on your library
>>
>>51721463
Thanks anon
>>
>>51720478

You can go for a more than decent 250 Ultra II and save a few bucks.
>>
>>51721683
That's my current plan, I was just wondering whether the Crucial BX100 wouldn't make a better deal, or some of the Samsung drives. Does the Ultra have anything over the Pro other than R/W speeds?
>>
>>51719717

You will be shocked by how much better it is, especially if you don't have a high-speed mechanical drive. I know I thought it was a meme, and then it turned out to be real.
>>
File: Samsung SM951.jpg (67 KB, 492x437) Image search: [Google]
Samsung SM951.jpg
67 KB, 492x437
>he fell for the sata ssd meme
>he didn't get an m.2 drive

>550mb read
>>
>>51722173
Brb selling my car for a drive
>>
It's we worth it. My startup time and load time for programs is significantly faster. Plus no sound of a hdd running.

Crucial and Samsung make great ssds, you'll be happy with either.
>>
>>51723106
Good to know. Crucial BX100 or MX200, will I miss hardware encryption at all if I don't traffic cheese pizza?
>>
>>51723485
I've got a MX200 and have been very happy with it.

If you don't have a reason to encrypt shit you aren't going to miss anything. I don't encrypt anything because I live alone and don't have shit that needs encrypted.
>>
>>51719717
I fell for the SSD meme. 500MB/s read/write yet it hardly feels faster except for the boot process.
>>
>>51724668
>not even reading/writing

If you aren't doing shit that involves read/write, why the fuck did you get an SSD?
>>
>>51725901
for the memes
>>
File: ebony.jpg (361 KB, 731x949) Image search: [Google]
ebony.jpg
361 KB, 731x949
>>51725949
>for the memes
Simply ebon
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.