[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I never got around to learning C++ even though I've been
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: cpp.png (5 KB, 219x230) Image search: [Google]
cpp.png
5 KB, 219x230
I never got around to learning C++ even though I've been programming for over 4 years.

What exactly can I do with knowing C++? Like can I fuck around and modify gnome/kde shit in linux? I don't care about video games.

I just kind of need some distant goal to motivate myself to learn it. I learned some haskell once and never used it. Don't want to make that same mistake again. Yes, I know OS/kernel level shit is all done in C++ but that's a bit too autistic and beyond my power level unfortunately.
>>
>>51717855
>OS/kernel level done in C++
No that would be C
>>
>>51717878
I think windows is c++?

Is stuff like bitcoin/altcoin all done in C++? Do you need to be elite to play around with that shit?
>>
>>51717878
Many operating systems and kernels are written in C++. ReactOS is a good example; it is a mixture of C and C++, like Windows. QNX is also written in C++.
>>
>>51718070
C++ is love C++ is life
>>
>>51717855
C is the reall shit. The techniques and skills you gain by learning it is going to last you a lifetime. Honestly, c should be mandatory learning for a coder.
>>
"C++ is a terrible language." - Linus Torvalds
>>
>>51717855
You should learn C, but it might not be worth learning C++ if it's just for hobby stuff.

Video games are really the only major software that needs C++ now. I'd only suggest learning it if you're jobseeking- C++ has reputation as a really powerful, serious, and difficult language so it will look good on a CV.
>>
not op, im currently learning c++ as a first language. why you ask? cause i have no problem understanding how it works and ill learn python or c later.
>>
Not OP but I've just started with C++ as my first language. Should I switch to C insted? I'm just trying to learn as much as possible before I start CS next year.

Not underage.
>>
>>51717855
>I've been programming for over 4 years
Are you 12?
>What exactly can I do with knowing C++?
Everything you could do in c but with less boilerplate stuff
>>
>>51719154
How are you learning C++? Do you have a book that you'd recomend? I'm currently reading Programming princeaples and practice using c++
>>
>>51719227
C++ Primer Plus. fellow gentoomen have warned about staying away from the plus version but it seems like a good book for me. mind also that i litterally learned html from looking at the code in a book and never read it.
i would be a good person and tell you to buy it but [spoiler]thepiratebay exists[/spoiler]
>>
>>51719311
Aight, thanks for the info!
>>
>>51719311
>the plus version
>implying C++ Primer Plus is actually related to C++ Primer and not a pile of shit trying to steal sales from the actual best C++ book
>>
>>51720649
>sales
>what is tpb
>>
>>51720921
I forgot that authors/publishers make decisions based on the assumption that no one will spend money on their product
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.