[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38
File: 1437655233521.jpg (403 KB, 1679x797) Image search: [Google]
1437655233521.jpg
403 KB, 1679x797
Old Thread: >>51709371

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here
DO NOT BUMP, You are NOT entitled to an answer.

take at least 10 seconds to google first
read the sticky before posting >>39894014

Redirect or ignore anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use >>>/g/sqt as a link to find the sqt thread
>>
gtx 960 4g or r9 380 4g, can't decide. Also which version
>>
File: 1441235288166.png (213 KB, 829x719) Image search: [Google]
1441235288166.png
213 KB, 829x719
Can someone recommend me a nice, easy to use and preferably lightweight video editor that lets me cut different clips from different videos and put them together in one?

Movie Maker is decent but it doesn't support .mkv's

Plz someone
>>
>>51717598

Get Premiere off Pirate Bay / KAT.
>>
>>51717687
Any decent free alternatives?
>>
>>51717738

Avidemux, maybe?
>>
>>51717738
shotcut
>>
File: 1442985425978.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1442985425978.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
>>51717687
>>51717755
>>51717758
Thanks all, funnily enough I already had Avidemux but didn't really know it could join videos. Will check shotcut too
>>
I see 32GB of ram as too much memory. I'd prefer 12GB for gaming. Am I behind the times?
>>
I have installed optic fiber internet connection of 300MB of download and 30MB of upload, yet Steam only goes at 1.5MB per second, this has been constant for months

is there anything that can be going wrong with my computer before I call my company?
>>
How many times can a touchscreen be touched before it can be touched anymore?
>>
Where the fuck do I download the amd gpu driver version that was the last one before the crimson shit happened?

These new drivers are so awful.
>>
>>51717598
>>51717738
shotcut is the only option
>>
When I turn my computer on, the 120mm fan in the roof of my computer case makes this "sawing" sound, but if I turn the fan speed to minimum (or stop it by hand), and let it run at normal speed again, it runs smooth. It's only after the first startup, which is weird (and it's almost 100% reproducable). On rare occations, it could suddenly start making the sawing noise again during normal operation, but the fix is the same as after startup.

Could this be due to a wobbly fan (pic related)?
What else could it be, and how would I fix it?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>51717921
Nah, I have 16 GB and never come close to using it all, even when running a couple of heavy programs simultaneously. I guess when purchasing RAM today, I'd prioritize speed and not quantity.
>>
>>51717945
I fully uninstalled the Crimson driver and installed CCC instead, and all I got was a black screen after the "Loading Windows"-logo was done (Windows 7 x64). You could try to install CCC, they are on AMD's website (look for "Previous drivers" in the "Related"-menu to the right of the page when looking for drivers, it should pop up at some point), but I had to boot into safe mode and do a System Restore (luckily, Windows make Restore Points for every install/uninstall of anything), so I was able to set it back a couple of hours and get back up and running. This was 3-4 days ago.

If you do try, let me know what you did and how it went. I want the old drivers to work as well.
>>
>>51717497
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1591?vs=1596

go with the cheapest

>>51717921
8GB is enough. 16GB if you want some to spare. anything more is just a waste unless you want to run a ramdisk.

>>51717941
run speedtest.net

also learn the difference between MB (megabyte) and Mb (megabit).
internet speeds are listed as Mbps or Mbit/s (megabit per second).
Your browser will list your download speed as MB/s (megabyte per second).

>>51717945
same place you download the latest drivers on their website. just scroll down more.

>>51718018
wobble (dust on blades create unbalance).
dirt or hair in the motor (under the center where the fan blades meet) or in the bearings.

clean fan blades with a brush. squirt some wd40 in it.
>>
how meme is cs?
I'm changing majors soon and need to know my prospects.
all I want to do is code and maybe even work with coding and creating programs in the medical field
idk what other compsci options I have that won't set me back a year or so
>>
File: Wobbly fan.png (9 KB, 760x530) Image search: [Google]
Wobbly fan.png
9 KB, 760x530
>>51718018
Ofcourse I forget the pic

>>51718103
Thanks for the tip, will look for dirt and stuff the next time I turn it off.
>>
>>51718107
https://www.google.se/search?q=cs+vs+ce
>>
File: Captura.png (360 KB, 794x517) Image search: [Google]
Captura.png
360 KB, 794x517
>>51718103
>run speedtest.net
I just ran the test
it says 2.3
this is joke
>>
Reading about email privacy PGP stuff and i'm confused, if i'm using a setup that requires public/private keys in order to read emails sent/received how does that affect emails being sent by things the account is signed up to.

If i was to seperate that account from my personal emailing account what would allow proper security/privacy on the account receiving emails from websites?
>>
>>51718150
call your ISP.
>>
>>51718218
on it
>>
im not that much of a linux guru or anything
i work in a retail store and i had to fix a lenovo notebook
i suffered through bullshit bios settings to make it bootable then i faced with the problem that i couldn't by any means make the wifi adapter work
i installed an ubuntu, nothing
started messing around and found out that with rfkill i could disable the shit that blocked it and now it works

my question is why can an os(maybe it was a win) block hardware??? whats the fucking reason for it?
>>
>>51718150
You have a bottleneck somewhere.

From computer to internet:

>CPU could be so shitty that it can't process data fast enough (this is 99,999% probably not the case tho)
>Your network card could be so shitty that it can't get better speeds than what you're getting now (check if you have a 10, 10/100 or 10/100/1000 mbit network card)
>Your internet subscription is so shitty that you've ordered these speeds (for real, people can be this dumb, not saying you are, but you could be in theory so I have to cover it)
>Your ISP could be suffering from some kind of error that they can't resolve (you should tell them to get people who actually fucking know stuff if this is the case)
>ALL Steam servers and SpeedTest.net servers could be overloaded (this will never happen), and all you can do is wait

Good luck, I'd check what speeds my network card could handle and if it's supposed to be able to handle those speeds, I'd call my ISP.
>>
>>51718018
>>51718120
I also get this sometimes.
About once every 50 startups, it makes a loud sawing noise until I restart the computer.
Never investigated though.
>>
okay, why is /adv/ so full of shitty relationship threads?

I just want to know what is a comfy score that I might want to get in SAT to have a chance of getting into one of top 100 colleges? I am an international applicant to US colleges.
>>
So how the fuck do you actually get rid of GWX ?
I've disabled automatic updates, and uninstalled and hid the update that included GWX, but the piece of shit is still around.

At least now it just occasionally comes up with an error message saying that gwx.exe isn't working instead of nagging me to install Windows 10.
How do you get rid of it completely ?
>>
I'm new to C++ and I cannot for the life of me get this function to print a certain string to this file.
 string dateEntry = "";

ofstream outfile(fileName + ".txt", ios::app);
outfile << fileName << endl << endl;
cout << endl << "Start typing bud" << endl;
cin.ignore(100, '\n');
getline(cin, dateEntry);
outfile << fileName << endl << endl << dateEntry;
system("cls");
cout << "Saved!" << endl << endl;

outfile.close()

result should be the value of fileName followed by two new lines and the user input for dateEntry. However, only the fileName string and the two new lines print out. what am I doing wrong?
>>
>>51718370
Step 1: Uninstall GWX
Step 2: Disconnect from the internet permanently

As long as you're running Windows, the update will download itself to the computer and keep nagging you as best as it can. Make a script that is ran from startup to kill the process every x seconds maybe? This will steal processing power tho.
>>
I finally bit the bullet and tried a custom rom on my htc one m8. I have CM 13 installed and i was wondering if on trebuchet i can increase the amount of apps i can place in a folder. im aware i can install a launcher like apex but i would prefer not to because i like the look of trebuchet
>>
I'm doing a fresh install of Windows 7 on a new SSD, will I have to re-download the Steam games on my HDD since they're "tied" to my previous OS installation?
>>
>>51718467
no.
>>
>>51718467
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you can make a backup of the "SteamApps" folder, reinstall Steam on the new Windows install, and paste the old "SteamApps", overwriting the new one. Then "Verify integrity" for every game, and you've saved yourself some download time.
>>
>>51718467
no

move the steamapps folder to a folder on your HDD called SteamLibrary along with steam.dll

install steam on your ssd

when going to install games, point the install directory to hdd:\SteamLibrary\

it should auto detect the game files and only redownload configs and such
>>
I am running W8.1 on an SSD with three 1TB HDDs for mass media storage. When I'm using the OS and just clicking around my entire PC will freeze for like 5 seconds while one of the hard drives spins up.

How to stop this because it's ruining my life and taking away my sanity.
>>
I installed windows 10 for an elderly neighbour. Long story short, he put a password on it and can't remember what it was. 'by accident'. He refuses to accept that he put one on, but he remembered it last night and now suddenly today the password doesn't work again. Fucking old people.

How do I get around a user password on windows 10 pro? It comes up when I turn on the PC, I have no idea how to get around it.
>>
>>51718305
>Your network card could be so shitty that it can't get better speeds than what you're getting now
Even 20 year old network cards support at least 10Mbit. That guy gets less than 3Mbit.

>Your internet subscription is so shitty that you've ordered these speeds (for real, people can be this dumb, not saying you are, but you could be in theory so I have to cover it)
what the fuck does this even mean?

>ALL Steam servers and SpeedTest.net servers could be overloaded (this will never happen), and all you can do is wait
Steam servers being overloaded for a whole month straight never happens. Max for a few days after a popular game release.

>>51718259
BTW, are you using an ethernet cable or wireless?

>>51718467
>will I have to re-download the Steam games on my HDD since they're "tied" to my previous OS installation
the steam game files are not tied to anything...

>>51718503
do this, except
>along with steam.dll
you dont need that since it comes with the steam program installation.

also might wanna go into steam settings and create a new game library at the correct place to where you moved the game files on the HDD
>>
>>517185234
power management, set drives to not turn off when inactive.

>>51718529
remove his admin power and remove the passwords. make an admin acc you can access so you can login on that and remove his passwords.
>>
>>51718529
if the install is so fresh, you could just reinstall, lol.
>>
>>51718523
set hard drives to not spin down/sleep in power settings advanced profiles
>>
>>51718572
>remove his admin power and remove the passwords. make an admin acc you can access so you can login on that and remove his passwords.
How? I turn on the computer and it asks for his password, no other options

>>51718586
Yeah that was the only solution I could think of but I was trying to minimise my time over there, the guy is leaving me like 5 voicemails a day I think he's gonna cut me up and hide me in the walls or something
>>
>>51718592
Okay two problems with this
1) I only see an option to specify a time in minutes, I guess 0 is never?
2) One of the drives has a dying controller that makes awful noise, I want this one to be always asleep unless I open a file on it, any way to do this?
>>
>>51718627
linux live cd with a password reset/crack option for windows

>>51718631
>1) I only see an option to specify a time in minutes, I guess 0 is never?
it should be, yes.
>2) One of the drives has a dying controller that makes awful noise, I want this one to be always asleep unless I open a file on it, any way to do this?
set it to 1 minute
>>
>>51718631
>One of the drives has a dying controller that makes awful noise

replace it before you lose your data
>>
>>51718631
0 is never
no, windows is not this smart, either they all run constantly or they all go to sleep. there may be a 3rd party program to do this but windows cannot by default.
>>
>>51718627
In Windows 10, the password should be the "Microsoft Account password" (aka his hotmail password). Ask him if he remembers the password to his e-mail and make him try that. Otherwise, idk.
>>
>>51718653
It's already set to 5 minutes, but this does not fix the fact that my PC is constantly hanging to allow one of the drives to spin up. I am not sure whats causing it as the OS is installed on my SSD and the only thing on the drives is movies, music and steam games.
>>
Is Firefox just an incredibly bloated piece of shit? I've noticed over the past month or so it gets incredibly slow with the most basic of tasks. Opening a thread with 400+ posts on 4chan will cause it to hang for around 8 seconds, and if I look in my task manager right now (I have 12 tabs open, Noscript, Adblock Plus, Lastpass, Ghostery, and 4chanX running) it's using 1.94 GB of memory.

Could it also be my computer? My SSD is almost out of space (9GB left on a 128GB drive, and my HDD only has 40GB left out of 2TB)
>>
I just bought a new cpu on the cyber Monday sale. I installed it and everything was fine for a bit but I got a blue screen a couple days ago after a couple crashes and now the bios screen just shows a mostly black screen with nothing but the time and date showing and when I move my mouse it reveals the background that I can't interact with. I installed my old CPU back into the computer but that didn't change anything so I'm not sure what the fuck is going on.
>>
>>51718679
Nope it's not your computer Firefox is no longer viable if you want performance from your browser.
>>
>>51718672
did windows go full retard and put its swap file on one of the hard disks because your os partition is on a ssd?
>>
>>51718690
That would make sense, how do I check?
>>
>>51718682
what surface were you standing on and what was the mobo/cpu and case on while you were working on it?
were you grounded?
did you get dust in the socket under the cpu or on the pins on the cpu?

>>51718696
open disk management
>>
So a while ago I fucked up and formatted my 2TB drive, deleting a lot of important information that I had backed up onto that particular drive. I have been trying to recover it using Recuva and PhotoRec, but I am wondering if its even possible to at this point given that I've formatted the drive at least twice since the initial fuck up due to a combination of one of the plugs on the external being a bit loose and my PC not recognizing the drive and asking to format it in order to recognize it

Should I even bother running these programs or is the original data completely lost unless I take it to some data recovery service and pay out the ass for them to recover the data?
>>
File: swap.png (24 KB, 424x610) Image search: [Google]
swap.png
24 KB, 424x610
>>51718715
Is it this? Seems to be a page file on DATA3, what should I do to remedy it? I have 20GB free on the SSD.
>>
>>51718687
Any decent, lightweight alternatives? Not really looking for Chrome because lol botnet and the adblocks on their don't work nearly as well.
>>
>>51718728
if you have a decent amout of ram (8+gb) then untick auto and tick no paging file, apply, reboot.

otherwise idk, dont put it on the ssd, youl burn it up.
>>
>>51718715
I was standing on old ass carpet that's been matted down for several years, the case/mobo/cpu was on a wooden stand, I grounded myself before working on the computer and the dust is likely because the old heatsink fan was dusty as fuck. A fella in an other thread mentioned that I should probably update my bios so I'll try that after I clean and reseat the new cpu/heatsink and airblow the connections.
>>
>>51718728
Disable automatically managed at top then pick no page file, then click set.
>>
>>51718682
Sounds like maybe a bent pin.
>>
>>51718719
if you only did a fast/quick format you should be able to get a few files if you're lucky as that basically just tricks the os into thinking it's empty so it can write stuff to it.

>>51718728
no. on win7 you open i through start menu -> right click computer -> manage -> storage -> disk management

dont know if it's same for win10

but you can pchange it from that window too. it's just a lot easier from disk manager.

>>51718738
pale moon.
>>
>>51718747
>>51718756
I have 8GB of ram, so I'll do this, thanks a bunch because this was driving me nuts.
>>51718654
Have a new 2TB SSHD on the way from Amazon to replace it.
>>51718738
Dunno what to tell you, I use Chrome with uBlock and I have no complaints. Haven't taken Firefox seriously since the WinXP days.
>>
i switched from uTorrent to qBittorrent and it's seeing a lot less and a lot slower.

same torrents, all limits turned off, any idea why?
>>
>>51718738
>Chrome Adblock doesn't work well

I've been using plain old adblock (not ABP, Ub, or the new Ublock) and I haven't seen a single ad with the extension turned on. As long as you uncheck allow non intrusive ads you're golden.
>>
>>51718795
Did you set your connection settings properly? Could be trying to torrent through a closed port on qBt.
>>
>>51718805
it works, it's just slower and fewer files are seeding at a given time
>>
>>51718738
>adblocks on their don't work nearly as well
You're retarded
>>
>>51718795
port forward, upnp, dht, nat-pmp, utp, udp, peer exchange.

check if those are the same as the old client.

>>51718819
are you on any private trackers that dont allow certain clients?
>>
I got a job offer for 100k but the company looks shakey. Should i take it
>>
>>51717420
android phone or iphone?
>>
>>51717420
why are Mac users so cult like and conforming?
>>
>>51718908

Yes. Then post the scar once they drug you and steal one of your kidneys.
>>
>>51718923
replace "Mac users" with "consumers" and you should be able to figure it out.
>>
My old hard drive died and I'm reinstalling my OS on a new one. I'm pretty sure the old hard drive was MBR. I know my motherboard supports UEFI, so is there any reason not to make this new hard drive GUID?
>>
Whats the name of the headphones that were built like a tank?

I think it was a Sony
>>
>>51718839
all of those are on, same as in uTorrnet

qBittorrent is allowed on all trackers i'm on
>>
File: Flashing_box.gif (7 KB, 399x339) Image search: [Google]
Flashing_box.gif
7 KB, 399x339
>>51718103
Don't use WD40, it's a solvent not a lubricant. It'll dry out and reduce fan performance. Just use oil (I use sewing machine oil) to reduce friction.
>>
>>51719073
mdr v6/7506 (virtually the same)
>>
>>51719078
Have you properly configured your max connections, max upload speed and max download speed?

https://wiki.vuze.com/w/Good_settings

It doesn't matter that it's from the Vuze site, the principle is the same for all clients.
>>
>>51719122
http://wd40.com/search

>lubricate
>>
is any lubricant safe to use on computer fan bearings?
>>
>>51719124
Yes, thats the one
Thanks
>>
What would you recommend for a $500 budget 2.1 speaker setup?
>>
Does ANYONE like those website layouts where the site is split into "squares" going downwards (like a grid layout with only 1 column and every row is a full page)? I fucking hate that shit, how did that become a thing?

Here's an example:

https://www.digipost.no/
>>
>>51719133
my upload speed is 10Mbit/s, i just turned all limits off, it's not like i have a problem with too many connections, quite the opposite
>>
Installed Ubuntu and now whenever I try to load an OS from USB I get a black screen with "boot error". Is this UNetbootin's fault or does Ubuntu fuck up bootloaders?
>>
>>51719151
>confusing WD40 the brand with WD40: Water Displacement formula 40

It says right in the description, WD40 removes oil and grease, oil and grease are lubricants, you might as well spray fucking break cleaner in there.
>>
File: ou8yfiug.png (96 KB, 1920x1038) Image search: [Google]
ou8yfiug.png
96 KB, 1920x1038
>>51717420
I had to install Windows 10 and found that when I came back "file explorer" didn't list one of my hard drives, but, going into Disk Management, its still there.
Any idea on what to do? I would like to avoid having to format it.
>>
>>51719162
>fan bearings

Fluid bearings, or ball bearings? Neither should need it. If your ball bearing fan is making noise, then get a new fan. Lubricant isn't going to fix it.
>>
>>51719389
>right click
>give the driver a station letter
think that should do it
>>
>>51719258
Logitech z-623 packs quite the punch, and it's waaaay inside your budget (around $200 in my country).

>>51719291
It's just common configuration to boost performance, might as well do it right. Your max upload speed is the max your network connection can communicate. If you use ALL upload bandwidth to upload torrents, you will have NO upload bandwidth to request new clients (I know, you don't use that speed because you don't have clients, but this is why you set shit up). Max connections is set because you don't want to waste speed on looking for new clients if you're already up to good speed.

Set it up and report back if you still get shitty speeds.

Also, I'm not calling you an idiot or anything, but are you sure you're not trying to download using an almost dead torrent?
>>
>>51719427
Fuck, I didn't even see that.
Thanks so much for your help dude.
>>
What should I know about emacs before switching from vim?
>>
File: 1432976986780.jpg (61 KB, 400x220) Image search: [Google]
1432976986780.jpg
61 KB, 400x220
>>51719324
there's more than one wd40 product?
>>
>>51719395
meant gpu fan. and it seems to be a single fan
>>
>>51719442
i'm not trying to download anything (already tested downloads, it works fine)

i'm trying to seed
>>
Should I consider getting a business laptop? I'm a college student.

I found this one for 800€:
https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Notebooks/ASUSPRO-ESSENTIAL-P2520LJ/specifications/
And it seems to be pretty nice. I'm talking about the i7/8GB/1TB/1080p version. It's way cheaper than any consumer version with the same specs.

From what I found online the major differences are simply build quality and warranty.
>>
GTX 960 or r9 285?

My budget is tight enough for a new PC and I can only find these for cheap enough (180€ which is my limit for a gpu)
>>
I have $100 to burn for extras for my computer. Already happy with all the internals except no SSD. I'm using a cheap crappy keyboard tho.

Should I spend $100 on and SSD or on a decent mechanical keyboard?
>>
>>51719515
stop arguing and just fucking test what the guy told you so we continue.

it's the fucking basic principle of troubleshooting, you try shit to see if it works or not, that way you can eliminate that because you know it's not the cause.
>>
>>51719515
Ah, then you should DEFINITELY set it up right because you're probably gonna bounce between max speed and almost no speed constantly otherwise. Better to stabilize it at 85% of max rather than only getting effective 50% because the connections keep destabilizing.
>>
>>51719538
For what it's worth: I can't imagine not having a mechanical but I can imagine no SSD.
>>
>>51719538
SSD.
>>
>>51719525
I have a gtx 960 4gb version. I don't have any benchmark-worthy games, but benchmarks are widely available.

Pros : Silent, extremely little power consumption (good on a weak power supply), runs cool, Decent for 1080p games.

Cons: Sorta weak performance. I run fallout 4 maxed out at about 40 fps, If I want 60 fps everywhere I have to turn down godrays to low, and a few other things to medium. Everything still looks good though.

I'd only buy a gtx 960 if you're concerned with power consumption and thermals. If you have a good power supply and good airflow in your case, buy something else in the same price range.
>>
>>51719613
Fuck, I meant that the other way around. I would say get the SSD.
>>
>>51719538
>>51719613
Am I the only guy in here who prefers a membrane keyboard? Those clacks are the worst, and the smooth feeling of the membrane when the button hits bottom is delicious.

As for the SSD, I haven't really noticed any massive change. Sure, it's quiet and takes up a lot less space, but booting is a one-time thing and programs still don't launch instantly (if anything, you'll save a second or so).

If your keyboard is uncomfy, go for the keyboard in my opinion.
>>
File: BIOS.jpg (33 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
BIOS.jpg
33 KB, 640x480
>>51718682
Tried updating the bios but I'm having trouble. It boots fine but this is what I' seeing when I get to the BIOS screen.
>>
Is it finally time to replace my i5 2500k for something newer?
>>
>>51719634
I was going to buy a really cheap r9 380 (150€), but I had some problems with that. With those being over 200€ I don't have many options, so I'd like something similar or at least 90% of that performance. I was expecting not to max out FO4 with that one so maybe I'll go for a 960.
>>
Hey /g/, here's a stupid question!

I'm in web course and for my project I'm supposed to use php includes for header, navigation and footer so I don't repeat myself.

Problem is, we're also supposed to have the individual topic php files grouped in folders and subfolders.

So some of these files will have longer or shorter path to the assets folders which contains css, images and other stuff and I'm trying to find a way to use a path inside header which would work for all files, but the only way I managed to do it was to hardcode the entire adress.

I tried googling for relative path solution which would work, some looked promising but none worked in the end.

Suggestions?
>>
>>51719634
Oh I should mention 2gb is not worth in modern games. GtaV, Fallout 4, Shadows of Mordor, and many other games right now are using much more than 2gb Vram. If you're not playing those games or any other vram intensive games atm, it won't be an issue for NOW, but lets say a game comes out next year that you want with similar vram requirements as shadows of mordor. You'll be bottlenecked and have to run low res textures, which defeats half the purpose of pc gaming in the first place.
>>
>>51719585
tanks for the help, i solved it

it was uTP
turned it off, and shit started seeding instantly
>>
>>51719696
>Those clacks are the worst, and the smooth feeling of the membrane when the button hits bottom is delicious.

You can get quiet switches. And there are some good membrane keyboards. But I prefer ThinkPad scissor switches.
>>
>>51719768
make a variable that defines the path, like /resources/, once and use it in the other files.
>>
>>51719780
Good. I'm still recommending to set up the settings.
>>
>>51719777
The issue is I can't really afford anything else right now. I'd be forced to stay on integrated intel graphics for a month if I want to get something better.
>>
What's the best time to have an ebay auction end in US time? I was thinking Sunday around 6-7PM EST is that good?
>>
>>51719806
But that variable would still containt entire path in it, correct?

I need something with relative path so it can theoreticly be transferred to another server without issues.
>>
virtualbox or vmware?
>>
>>51719952
doesn't have to.
as I said, it can be /resources/ and it would work on any domain as long as its inside the root directory.
ASP has ~ which would point to the application root, so ~/resources/ would even work when the application is inside a subdirectory.
Not sure if PHP has something similar.
>>
>>51719956
In my experience VMware has slightly better compatibility with some stuff, though I prefer VirtualBox on principle when it works
>>
>>51719835
Let me take you with me on a journey to the future, lad. Let's talk about "future-proof buys" and how they will let you save money in the future.

If you buy a 960 right now, you can play games right now, and that's okay. It's fine. But you will be in this very situation next year.
>I can't afford anything better because I spent it all last year and haven't saved enough since then
>I can't play games because I don't have enough VRAM

Now, let's say you wait a month. You're bored as fuck with the miniature textures for 31 days. However, christmas ends, you have an entirely new budget, and you can get a stunning 285 with enough VRAM to let you play games at okay settings the next two years. In two years time, you've had enough time to accumulate enough money to buy a state-of-the-art GPU the next time you need it.

This is why people who cheap out still doesn't have millions in cash. They have to replace it sooner, which in turn puts them in the same economic situation as the people who buy quality for higher prices.

Ofcourse, the riduculing of the 960 was just to make the story more powerful, it is a good card. But if your only argument is "but I'll have to wait a month if I don't buy that one", I'd recommend to wait and be more prepared for the future with a notch more VRAM.
>>
>>51719724
Changed out y GPU to an old one. I think my 290x is the culprit.
>>
>>51720000
>But you will be in this very situation next year.
Eh, for me a GPU upgrade is good for at least 3-4 years if you time it right. Yeah you might eventually have to tone down on settings a little bit, but you really shouldn't need to upgrade your GPU every year at all.
>>
>>51720000

Ye Olde version of this analogy:

>a rich person buys a nice pair of shoes for $50 that lasts ten years. A poor person buys a $10 pair of shoes every year.
>>
>>51719987
One of the solutions recommended something similar, it had to do with going to root then navigating from there, but it didn't work on my server, it's a school server and I don't know much about how it works
>>
>R9 390
>Will probably upgrade gpu or crossfire in future when I get 4k and it becomes the norm

For now though, everyone seems to say 1440>1080.

I will be casual gaming and heavily modding skyrim.

Do you think 1440p 60Hz is fine for this or should I get freesync or 144Hz?

Recommendations for <£300 or should I just get MG278Q? Is it really that good and possibly futureproof?
>>
>Used to be on AT&T and have cables
>Now on Time Warner and have to use Wifi dongle
Connection throttled every 5 minutes
how do you guys deal with this?
>>
File: IMG_20151206_030006.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151206_030006.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>51717420
My Acer V470 won't charge when I plug it in and I think the charge socket on the laptop is loose but I don't know how to properly remount it. Pic related is the socket.
>>
>>51720074
let's assume your page is on
http://example.org/anon/mypage.php

then you set your variable $RESOURCE as "/anon"

and use it with
$RESOURCE + "/myimages/anon.jpg"

(or however you concat strings in PHP)
>>
File: 1449093801675.png (266 KB, 709x1014) Image search: [Google]
1449093801675.png
266 KB, 709x1014
Recently switched to Chromium from Firefox because it was running like total garbage especially when I had photoshop open. So far all is good but how do I get .h264 support into chromium on osx? All the guides online to do it seem pretty old is it not possible anymore? Should I just download the botnet and use that thing to turn off the privacy infringing stuff? Or is chromium old news and there's a better one.
>>
>>51720110
I went a little crazy on Black Friday, and I got myself a 390 and an ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q.

I have to tell you, I've been playing 60Hz my entire 15 year career of playing video games. The sensation that hit me when I fired up CS:GO at 120Hz was
>Holy shit, it's so smooth, am I high?

The experience was just... Better.

The reason I was playing at 120Hz and not 144Hz is that AMD's drivers currently are limited to 120Hz becuase 144Hz causes enormous flickering (which was a big letdown for me). Hopefully they are working on it.

But I totally recommend the 120/144 Hz option. You won't suffer if you don't, but you would NEVER go back after tasting the forbidden fruit that is 120/144 Hz.
>>
>>51720127
Maybe epoxy?
>>
should I use bunsenlabs or crunchbang ++?
>>
File: IMG_20151206_030037.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151206_030037.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>51720175
Is that going to damage the parts at all? Also what type should I buy if I was to go through with that?
>>
>>51720246

get a multimeter and test the wires going in and the wires going out. also test the plug coming from the power supply to rule it out as the problem. might need to solder something.
>>
Is there any firefox plugin that lets me find a tab by its title? Can't really find any
>>
>>51720138
Holy shit it actually worked, so simple yet effective

Thx bro
>>
File: thumb.jpg (43 KB, 615x546) Image search: [Google]
thumb.jpg
43 KB, 615x546
>>51720000
>>51720051
truth.
>>
>>51720125
we dont, we call the ISP and complain so they fix it.

>>51720246
epoxy shouldnt react with metals or plastics.
>>
>>51720291
>>51720364
Thanks. I'll try both of these and see what I can fix.
>>
>>51720000
I can't really find a 285 with 4gb of VRAM here unfortunately.

Let me put it like this:

I can get an r9 285 2gb for 170€.
Same price for a gtx 960 2gb, though it's on sale.
An r9 280 3gb for 180€
And the gtx 960 4gb for 230€.

So basically I'm going to ask, should I really wait for that GTX 960? Keep in mind I'm going to be playing stuff at 1080p, nothing higher than that.

Honestly your analogy is pretty sound in any case, I just wanna know that it's truly worth it and I'm not wasting my time and money for something slightly better.
>>
>>51720500
how much is the 380?
>>
>>51719777
>>51720000
Trips AND Quads confirm. Get something with at least 3gb vram. Christmas is in like 3 weeks anon. Hold out for 3 more weeks. It's like what, $20 more for a 4gb gtx 960? See if you get any christmas money, or hell, ask for a gpu for christmas from somebody.
>>
>>51720555
The cheapest I could find:

380 2gb: 200€
380 4gb: 240€
>>
hey /g/

I'm going to be building computer #2 here in a few months. And I'd like to switch my main OS to Debian. I used Mint almost exclusively in HS, but it's been about 6 years since I've mained a linux build.

How worried do I need to be about driver support for a standard parts build? I know that's always been the meme, but I've never really had any real linux driver issues.

So I guess my questions are:

1. What should I do to ensure my build parts will be compatible with Debian vanilla?
2. Should I wait before purchasing parts, if new graphics cards are about to be released?
>>
File: 1449430166.png (73 KB, 1024x600) Image search: [Google]
1449430166.png
73 KB, 1024x600
Tried to rice my i3 and now my fonts are all fucked up. What gives?
>>
>>51720687
280 3GB would be pretty good choice if you really dont want to wait.
>>
>>51720736
font doesnt like that font size maybe
>>
>>51720794
I don't think I changed the font anywhere though.

Where should I see that? /.Xdefaults? /.Xresources?
>>
>>51720840
>>51720794
>>51720736

Fixed it.

Antialias was set to false.
>>
>>51720634
That's the thing, I got my christmas thing earlier. I'm going to try to grab something decent with at least 3gb like you said.

The thing is I have a budget of 550€ for the whole thing without storage. A decent computer and such. I chose to go with an i5 4460 for the processor.

>>51720744
It does seem like a good deal to me even if it's maybe not as good as a 390/960
>>
>>51721034
thats a pretty expensive cpu if you can't afford a good gpu. do you have a pcpartpicker list?
>>
Can someone post the back of a 1TB WD Blue HDD?
>>
>>51721113
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XTr2Jx

The ATX case is sort of a placeholder though, not buying that specific one, just a similar priced case.

btw now that I read my post I meant to say 380/960
>>
Question: When Firefox deprecates XUL and whatever else, will ricing Firefox no longer be possible?
>>
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 1553x807) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 1553x807
>>51721484
There's nothing special about it
>>
What's the difference between vpn and using a proxy?
>>
>>51721559
Thanks, just wanted to check something.
>>
wchich one is better r9 290 or r9 380?
>>
Been having some issues with CPU responsiveness dipping down to ~30% in random intervals, not sure what the cause is besides being an old as dirt computer.
Using process lasso I can tell that chrome uses about 25% CPU but everything else in the process log reports 0.5% or less usage.
I have my cores unparked using this utility so a particular game could take advantage of it but I'm starting to think it's placebo and actually harmful. http://www.coderbag.com/programming-c/disable-cpu-core-parking-utility, could that have something to do with it?

AMD Athlon II x4 635 @ 2.9MHz
if I left out any important information or if I need to create/upload any logs please let me know, I'd like to troubleshoot this and I can't afford a new processor at this point in time.
>>
>>51721615
>MHz
My calculator haves a faster CPU than yours.
>>
>>51721615
forgot to say that I recently cleaned out and replaced the thermal paste on the CPU, about three weeks ago.

>>51721640
>MHz
meant GHz, oops
>>
>>51721615
>I have my cores unparked using this utility so a particular game could take advantage of it but I'm starting to think it's placebo and actually harmful.
This is definitely placebo. No clue if it's harmful in some way or merely pissing power down the drain. The OS will unpark cores when there's something for them to do, and park them again when there isn't. I think the only way that utility would hurt performance is if it got in a fight with the OS, where the OS parks a core, the utility unparks it, OS sees it's unparked again and parks it, etc.

Note that on Windows with a quad core CPU, 25% is 100% of one core, so Chrome is hogging as much as a single threaded task can. You should look into what's making your Chrome such a pig.
>>
Where in openSUSE is a good place to install git?
>>
File: 2015-12-06_12-23-42.png (161 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-06_12-23-42.png
161 KB, 1920x1080
>>51721615
The dips
>>
>>51721615
You don't need an utility. You can manually unpark them or use the high performance power profile on Windows.
>>
File: 1dfgd.png (49 KB, 702x458) Image search: [Google]
1dfgd.png
49 KB, 702x458
>>51721487
this is my build for reference. Add $200 usd for the gpu because pcpartpicker isn't finding it. Don't buy this hdd though, glitchy crashing piece of garbage.

I think you're doing good, but if you are on an absolute budget, an amd mobo and cpu will save you a lot of money. You also have a 600w power supply so a gtx 960's main advantage, low power consumption, is kind of wasted, so you can save dollars by going a 450w psu.

Also don't buy 1x 8gb ram. Buy 2 sticks of 4gb to utilize dual channel. Most motherboards have 4 ram slots so you can upgrade later by adding another 2 4gb sticks.
>>
>>51721829
I am not convinced that utility is anything more than snake oil.
>ProBalance dynamically adjusts process priorities to maintain responsiveness
Windows does this pretty well without any utility. GUI processes are given preference over background tasks by default on non-server versions of Windows, and the active applications gets a boost as well. In most cases, Windows' own scheduling manages things fine -- even if I run CPU burn-in stuff that hogs as much CPU as it possibly can, my system remains quite responsive.

I'm not sure precisely what it's measuring as "CPU responsiveness", but I suspect it's how long it takes between a process becoming runnable and it being executed. Short dips like that are likely due to a driver doing something uninterruptable for a moment in kernel mode, CPU speed changing, or a SMM stuff your BIOS is doing.
>>
>>51721827
How about wherever zypp wants to install it? If you're using a distro with a decent package manager, there is no reason not to use packages from it unless you require a specific version to do something.
>>
Where do saved files get saved to on virtual machines?
>>
>>51722102
Shold I be using zypp? I'm just looking at what YaST says, which is just / by default.
>>
>>51721852
>>51721824
Noted, I'll undo the parking on them and let windows handle that from now on. Any thoughts on what could be causing these dips in responsiveness? >>51721829
>>51722022
>snake oil
I noticed my machine being more responsive especially when I'm doing something like photoshop/shitposting/playing a game, but it could very well be placebo, I only installed on recommendation from /g/.
The dips in the graph indicate when my PC freezes/hangs, they directly correspond to a few seconds of complete nonresponsiveness during which time if I try to alt-tab, right click a system tray icon, minimize a window, nothing happens but once the freeze is over it all happens at once.
I really wish I were more savvy to better explain this and sound a bit less retarded.

>>51721567
>Proxy
Low security, only encryption is SSL.
Anyone can intercept traffic.
Restricted to proxy's geo-location
Greatly reduced speed
Generally only useful for web browsers.
Generally unreliable, proxies come and go with the wind.
Free
>VPN
Encrypts all traffic with at least 128 bit
Not even ISP can monitor traffic
Not restricted to a specific geo-location.
High speeds than proxies
Works in all OS environments and applications.
100% reliability and uptime.
Usually expensive
>>
>>51722102
>>51722132
alright, I just went for it. thanks!
>>
File: bash.png (42 KB, 677x476) Image search: [Google]
bash.png
42 KB, 677x476
Any recommendations for a decent git bash for windows? I have been using the default one for quite some time, but I would really like some more customizations. Any opinions on babun?
>>
>>51722190
>The dips in the graph indicate when my PC freezes/hangs, they directly correspond to a few seconds of complete nonresponsiveness during which time if I try to alt-tab, right click a system tray icon, minimize a window, nothing happens but once the freeze is over it all happens at once.
Use this: http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon
Hopefully it will tell you what the hog is when latency goes sky high. My immediate suspicion is a slow/dying sector on disk is being read -- it takes the drive a while to get back to the OS with the sector's contents, which causes everything else that wants to do anything with that disk to wait in line.
>>
I have an ASUS Z97-A motherboard with 2x4GB sticks of memory.

Can I buy a third stick that is 8GB and put it in to get 16GB total? Does it have to be the same brand or speed? I know it has to be DDR3 but that's it.
>>
>>51722330
Thanks, I'll use it and see what it tells me.
>slow/dying sector on disk
That makes sense, my HDD is older than the CPU and I've been meaning to swap it out with a newer/better one I had laying around.
Should I make the plunge into win10 or stick with win7? I'm not overly concerned with muh data
>>
>>51721956
Aight, I checked and funny enough that mobo + that processor cost almost the same as what I picked, so there's no saving there (slightly cheaper mobo, slightly more expensive processor). I guess the power supply could make a bit of a difference.

Anyways I already ordered all parts except ram and GPU (didn't pay in advance though) so if they finally arrive after a week of not having a clue about their whereabouts, I'll have to keep them. I'd like to follow your advice on the RAM; the issue is that this mobo that I got a recommendation on happens to have only 2 slots, too. I think maybe in the future I would like to upgrade to 16 so I'm really out of options there.

Thanks for the help. Being honest I just expected to be able to play new games, rather than max them out. A Phenom II x4 955 and a 6850HD aren't good enough for FO4.
>>
>>51722349
No.

You can stick in another 4gb of the same speed; the slowest stick will override the specs of the faster one to synchronize them as best it can, but it may just fuck everything up if it can't get them synchronized.
>>
>>51722349
You'd do better to get 2 more 4 GB sticks for dual channel.

Brand doesn't matter apart from that if you buy a shitty brand it's more likely to be defective or break sooner. You should get the same or higher speed and same or lower CAS latency. Any DDR3 will work, but all memory in your system will work at the speed and latency of the slowest stick.

Note that if you buy faster RAM than what you have in it now, the new RAM will run at the speed of your current RAM. There are 2 situations where it actually makes sense to buy faster RAM and add it to a system with slower RAM:
- You think you might eventually replace the existing sticks with faster bigger ones.
- The faster RAM costs less due to a sale or market oddity.
>>
>>51722485
Alright, if I get 2 more 4GB sticks of the same brand and speed that should be fine though right?
>>
>>51722288
I really like posh-git
>>
How sturdy are the connectors on the backs of SSDs and HDDs? The way I've got my trays set up, the drives are right on top of each other, and the tri-connector power cable has to bend a fair bit to reach all three drives, and I'm worried that it might be putting too much stress on the connectors.
>>
>>51722505
yep
>>
>>51718364
2200 minimum
>>
>>51722413
>Should I make the plunge into win10 or stick with win7? I'm not overly concerned with muh data
On a 2010 CPU I would probably stick with 7. I know you're going to see MS fanboys saying 10 is faster than 7, but that doesn't line up with my experiences putting it on old/slow machines. 10 boots faster yes, because of hybrid shutdown and other optimizations, but once it's up and running 7 is more responsive, smaller footprint, and less background task load.

>>51722569
Works fine. I might worry more if you're moving it around all the time.
>>
I have this string
156 photos 41 minute(s), 12 second(s) of video
. What is the regular expression to get each number in a group?
>>
I don't usually visit /g/ but I posted that I use utorrent and a shitload of people told me it's shit.

Never had any problem with it personally, everything worked fine and the downloads are fast but what am I supposed to be using?
>>
I have Debian wheezy installed and want to upgrade. Should I upgrade to the new stable jessie first or directly to stretch (testing)?
>>
>>51722747
uTorrent is just inferior, but works just fine if all what you want to do is download.

Lastest versions come with shady adware and ads which most people find annoying.
>>
I'm using Xfce/openSUSE.
How could I adjust the behavior of window snapping to be more like that of Windows?
(Basically, by default pulling the window to the top of the screen snaps to the top half instead of going fullscreen, and the fullscreen button on the right corner itself sometimes takes several clicks to go from a side snap to fullscreen instead of immediately going fullscreen.)
the config menu looks pretty bare bones.
>>
File: 00t0t_lrxZiE2S0I7_600x450.jpg (17 KB, 337x450) Image search: [Google]
00t0t_lrxZiE2S0I7_600x450.jpg
17 KB, 337x450
Thinking about either purchasing either these: https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/eld/5301246985.html

or these: https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/eld/5302114893.html

I am willing to replace the surround for the prodigy speakers and the cabinet seems to be in a little better condition than the heritage. my father is vouching for the prodigy model but i am leaning towards the heritage model. anyone have any opinions towards either? and i do not have any means of testing either speaker.
>>
I want to use SCP so I can use a ps3 controller with my bluetooth dongle
the instructions state it's very important that you let your computer download the default drivers for both the controller and dongle before using SCP
in addition to the default drivers, my dongle requires I visit the manufacturers site and download an additional driver manually for it to function

should I download this driver as well or no, the instructions aren't clear on this because it is not one of the drivers that my computer automatically downloads for it
>>
where is the guide to stop windows 10 from being a nosey neighbor
>>
>>51722797
I should clarify I meant maximize instead of fullscreen, and I just discovered the Alt F10 shortcut, but I'd still like to know how to customize anyway.
>>
>>51722706
\(\d\+\) photos \(\d\+\) minute(s), \(\d\+\) second(s) of video

+/- some \'es depending on the sort of regex -- mine is good for use in vim.
>>
I'm trying to use Google Photos to organise some photos that aren't private, etc.

It's just a massive pain to try and add un-organised photos to albums, since there's no way to filter the main page. You either see everything that's ever been uploaded, or just your albums.

Is there any way, probably through a plugin, to hide all photos that have already been placed in a photo album from the front page, so I can only see those that still need to be labelled?

In other words, is there a way to get Google Photos to function more like something like Google Drive, or any other program that's similar to a regular desktop. Files inside folders aren't visible from outside those folders.
>>
>>51722785

I don't remember any shady adware when I tried to install it but my memory might be wrong.

So what does /g/ use then?
>>
>>51722883
I said latest versions, old versions are just fine.

https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software#BitTorrent_Clients
>>
My Nexus 5 is stuck in a bootloop.
Is there a way to fix this without reflashing and unrooting?
>>
Is my Mobo supposed to have lights on it?

The only thing inside my case that lights up is my gtx 970. Mobo is MSI Z97 PC Mate
>>
>>51722805
You probably should since you're using wireless, but I know I didn't have to because I just used wired USB and was able to disguise my controller as an Xbox 360 controller to use Microsoft's driver as intended.
>>
>>51722983
yeah that's what I did with motioninjoy/ds3 for like a day
then I went out and bought a dongle and got nothing but trouble trying to get the driver from motioninjoy so now I'm trying SCP and really don't want to screw it up
but as I watch further into the tutorial video apparently some dongles just straight up don't work with motioninjoy/SCP

which is pretty dissapointing
>>
>>51722909

Fuck, somehow missed the wiki post on the front page. Sorry and thanks for not being an ass. Good stuff.

I should probably stop using chrome as well.
>>
>>51722864
Thank you.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1 MB, 1182x1048) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1 MB, 1182x1048
Should I buy this used Diablo 3 Steelseries mouse for $26
or a refurbished one on Amazon for $35, $40 for the new one.

I mostly just play csgo and i really need a nice thumb button for quickswitching.

im also poor.
>>
File: pc parts.png (77 KB, 794x714) Image search: [Google]
pc parts.png
77 KB, 794x714
Guys, my AM3 (not plus) mobo and Phenom II 970t are just not cutting it anymore. Also i need a better case. My RAM, GPU, and PSU are fine though

How do these parts look? I have up to $600 to spend, so is there a better heatsink than the Meme 212 EVO?
>>
>>51723029
I wish I knew enough to tell you more but a while ago I got it to work using this tutorial:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller
>>
can someone post the smoking gpu gif
>>
File: fuck this.jpg (40 KB, 723x592) Image search: [Google]
fuck this.jpg
40 KB, 723x592
How the fuck do you add search engines to chrome? Why the fuck couldn't they just have an add to search button? This shit shouldn't be this fucking complicated.
>>
>>51723113
nevermind
it seems the problem might be with the dongle itself
it was working fine before motioninjoy, so their shitty drivers might have fucked it up, but I only used it for a few minutes before that so it could very well be the dongle itself
either way the dongle/default drivers have become corrupted and it's a somewhat seperate issue from what I originally thought
thanks for help, I'll check your link if I ever fix this dongle
>>
>>51723077
meme 212 evo is the best cooler for under $50. I haven't shopped for anything over $50 though since i don't overclock.

Also, most cpu's stock coolers are actually pretty decent these days (if you keep at stock clock speed).
>>
>>51723068
Okay i'm deciding to buy the diablo mouse instead, i like the light up feature, and theyre basically the same thing
>>
Should I keep windows 10 or reinstall windows 7? Just got a new laptop.

I really don't like windows 10, but everyone is telling me not to "downgrade".

I've already had 1 legit bluescreen, and my graphics card has been crashing and recovering frequently just by browsing the internet. I haven't updated any drivers yet because I assumed that the fucking OS would be stable enough to not CRASH WHILE BROWSING THE INTERNET.

If I keep Windows 10, I'm going to reinstall it because fuck all this broken shit.

Regardless as to whether I stick with 10 or go back to 7, I'm planning on running a virtual machine with Gentoo installed on it.

Input is very appreciated, I'm really angry and at my wits' end.
>>
Mint 17.2
Sometimes my cursor goes crazy and stays like this until I reboot my system. It works thou, just looks like crap. Pic related, amd drivers installed.
>>
>>51723156
Because they want you to use Google. I forget whether it provides a way that search engines can offer to add themselves like in Firefox.

What you're seeing is for adding custom ones that don't have pre-made plugins. It's easy enough -- perform a search with the search engine, copy the URL of the performed search, paste it there, and replace what you searched for with %s.

Alternately, add them with a sensible browser that makes it easy to do like Firefox, then import search engines from Firefox in Chrome.
>>
Is there a list of Windows Updates for W7 to avoid?
>>
Should i get a cm HAF XB EVO or corsair carbide air 540 or some other non cube atx case? Would prefer cubes tho because leg space is sparse under my desk.
>>
which is the best antivirus? I have been using Avast, but for my new computer I dot want to because I read Avast installs shit and is just all around trash.
>>
Good 1440p monitor that's <£250?
Is MG279Q really that good?

R9 390
>>
>B comes from BCPL
>B as in BCPL
>C comes from B
>C as in B*C*PL
If C hadn't have taken off, would P have been the next high level language?
>>
>>51723269
Thanks a ton anon. I appreciate it.
>>
>>51723227
>I really don't like windows 10
Then use 7. If it eventually becomes necessary to upgrade to 10 (hopefully after they've made it work properly), you can do so using the "Media Creation Tool" in 7, either to upgrade in-place or to create an iso file / USB stick to clean install it.

In my experience even with Threshold 2 it's a fucking mess that you shouldn't touch yet on your primary computing device. I recently helped a few people either fix their machines or downgrade to 7 after 10's forced upgrades hosed them.

>>51723266
GPU problems. Try a different driver version, or take the performance hit and use the open source 'radeon' driver because fglrx is a steaming heap.
>>
>>51723311
Sure, I've got a text file with 7&8 updates combined.

--KB#-- ----reason---- -for- ----------official description----------
971033 Activation BS 7 Description of the update for Windows Activation Technologies
2952664 Telemetry-base 7 Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7
2976978 Telemetry-base 8/8.1 Compatibility update for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8
2990214 GWX internals* 7 Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 7 to a later version of Windows
3021917 Telemetry-perf 7 Update to Windows 7 SP1 for performance improvements
3022345 Telemetry 7/8.1 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
3035583 GWX app 7/8.1 Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1
3044374 GWX internals* 8.1 Update that enables you to upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10
3065987 Breaks shit?+ 7 Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: July 2015
3068708 Telemetry 7/8.1 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
3075249 Telemetry-UAC 7/8.1 Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
3075851 Suspicious^ 7 Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: August 2015
3075853 Suspicious^ 8.1 Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: August 2015
3080149 Telemetry 7/8.1 Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry

(to be continued -- these are all the updates, notes and how to block GWX coming next)
>>
I went through the codeacademy course for Python and it was pretty simple to me for the most part. Now I've tried building stuff, like a simple keylogger but I don't have much knowledge on how modules work. What are some good resources for Python at an intermediate level. I would prefer an actual book I can use as reference, but anything helps.
>>
>>51723474 part 2

Note: I've seen a number of people defend the telemetry updates as collecting valuable data that will be used to make Windows better and more stable. If that were the only effect of these updates, I'd be all for them. However I have a few gripes. All the tasks they create specifically state that they only collect and report any data if the user is opted in to the CEIP. I am not, yet I have caught these tasks doing *something* that eats 100% CPU for a while (while on battery nonetheless). I had disabled them because of this, only to find them re-enabled after one of the above updates came down the chute. Also, I just got done reinstalling 7 on a laptop for someone after one of the enhanced telemetry updates failed to install correctly and hosed Windows Update in a way that none of the standard repair methods could fix. Therefore I'll count any telemetry update as toxic.

I've marked some telemetry updates with a very short mention of what they track and report. The 'base' one adds telemetry in the first place. 'Perf' measures and tracks performance to determine if your computer is good enough for Win10. UAC adds tracking to UAC authorizations, presumably to help them reduce the amount of UAC prompts -- again, a legit goal but if the tracking is going to cause trouble...

Field still to fucking long. More to come.
>>
>>51723474
>>51723496
part 3

*The two labeled "GWX internals" are updates for the Windows Update client, and supposedly contain other "improvements" apart from stuff to make the Win10 upgrade work. They may or may not be beneficial for users not interested in Win10, but they're not saying.

+This update serves only to let sysadmins block their users from taking the Win10 upgrade. Googling its KB number brought up a number of people who had issues installing it or after installing it. If is succeeds, you get no benefit. If it fails, you have a problem. So why install it?

^"Suspicious" updates are things related to Windows update that have intentionally vague descriptions. Likely involved with Win10 upgrading or telemetry in some way, but they're being incredibly tight-lipped about it. May contain other bugfixes and legit improvements as well, but who knows.

As an added protection against GWX nagware, and to nuke anything it's already done, grab GWX Control Panel from http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/ . All options are fairly obvious. You may need to reboot after making changes for them to take full effect.
>>
File: 155Cyndaquil.png (669 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
155Cyndaquil.png
669 KB, 1280x1280
Any recommends on a cutie notebook laptop with a screen size of around 10" or 11"? Not doing much on it apart from internet browsing.

Probably going to run windows 7 or ubuntu on it.

Was looking at the discontinued hp mini line but am not sure.
>>
So after the latest big Windows Update for Win10 it's been automatically adding folder to my taskbar file explorer pin and quick access tray. How do I disable this? I remember there was an option for it before the update, but I can't find it anymore.
>>
>>51723532
>Was looking at the discontinued hp mini line but am not sure.
Avoid HP like the plague unless it's their business lines like EliteBook. They're built super cheaply, will break very easily, and regularly develop serious heat issues.
>>
File: 12.jpg (53 KB, 440x524) Image search: [Google]
12.jpg
53 KB, 440x524
>>51723547
Here's a shitty screenshot of what I'm talking about.
>>
>>51723474
>>51723496
>>51723525
Excellent, thanks for the info anon.
>>
File: Ub6zBAF.gif (799 KB, 434x360) Image search: [Google]
Ub6zBAF.gif
799 KB, 434x360
Gigabyte Gigabyte N960G1 GAMING-4GD
vs
Gigabyte Radeon R9 380 G1 Gaming 4GB Video Card
>>
Is the 380X a decent card, or is it too soon to tell? There's hardly any reviews out for it yet, but it fits perfectly into my budget.
>>
Does Comodo AV have realtime scanning
>>
>>51723587
BTW, the activation one (971033) is perfectly safe and harmless if you have legit Windows or a fairly recent version of Daz Loader. It blocks older hacks like RemoveWAT and maybe some older Daz versions.

The telemetry and GWX ones are the ones to seriously avoid. I only list and refuse the "suspicious" ones in protest of the utter lack of any description of what's in it.

For newer updates, read the official "more information" page and/or google "kb" and the number as one word. If a significant number of people are having issues caused by the update, or the description says it does something you don't like, block it.
>>
>>51722706
>>51722864
I just realized the string is not always in that format.
What would be the regex for this?
156 photos 41 minute(s), 12 second(s) of video
501 photos 53 minute(s) of video
36 minute(s) of video
29 minute(s), 58 second(s) of video
>>
a program that sets the wallpaper on your smartphone to a random (among the highly rated) cover page from a random chapter on exhentai.org

with a new one every day or perhaps every time you open it.

does such a thing already exist, if not, how difficult would it be for someone with no knowledge of coding to make it? how expensive would it be to commission it?
>>
So i fell for the IPS meme

colours are cool but the bottom third of the screen has a yellow tint to it.. is this a fault I can claim warranty on? Its subtle but noticeable and annoying when reading documents / webpages
>>
File: Screenshot (342).png (13 KB, 651x591) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (342).png
13 KB, 651x591
How do I get around this
>>
File: fucking pee en gees.png (184 KB, 950x596) Image search: [Google]
fucking pee en gees.png
184 KB, 950x596
Alright, this shit has bothered me for TOO LONG.

I have ImageGlass2 as my picture viewing program, and it works fine except for the ONE fucking file format that I use the most: png. All png files still open in Windows Photo Viewer when I doubleclick from file explorer.
I've cornered the issue, but let's get some things out of the way first

Windows 8.1
Yes I've changed the default program. I've changed it back to windows photo viewer and then to imageglass2 again.

What I've come to notice is that the top action for png files is "Preview" instead of "Open" (like it is with all other image types). This makes me think it doesn't care what default program is used to _open_ the png files, but just has a default _preview_ program (which is good old shitty windows photo viewer).

So how the fuck do I either:
1 - change the behavior of png files to OPEN instead of PREVIEWING
>or
2 - change the default PREVIEW program to ImageGlass2
>or
3 - fix it in some other way
>>
File: linksys-li-EA6400-2-a.jpg (22 KB, 730x259) Image search: [Google]
linksys-li-EA6400-2-a.jpg
22 KB, 730x259
Hey /g/ I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread so I'll just ask my question here in case it really is stupid.

I am unable to get full internet access anytime I visit my parents and am unable to connect to their router through my work laptop so I can work while visiting them. Also my 1st gen moto x will only half connect to the router; it occasionally says "authentication problem" for my phone. My grandpa has the same problem on his phone. The router is kind of a piece of shit but I'm the only one who has problems connecting so they don't really need to fix it.

The router is a Linksys AC1600. My work computer connects fine to any other wireless netowrk I've used and is a Dell Inspirion 13 7000 with a Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 3165 adapter. The computer troubleshooting says the adapter is experiencing driver or hardware issues but the latest firm is installed and the laptop was just bought less than a week ago.

The AC1600 is a piece of shit though. I cannot access the IP address to see if I can correct something with the router but they want an email, username, and password to access it. My father is old and when he installed that router he did not record those credentials and as far as I can tell there is no way to reset to password.

If I need to I'll buy a new router but I've never had great success with buying the right one and the top rated ones being sold I think are over doing it for just a home router, right?

Any ideas? Thanks /g/ bros
>>
What do you guys think about buying used GPUs?

I'm thinking of buying a 280x for cheap which warranty is about to expire pretty much. It works perfectly as of now.
>>
how the hell do I get a vm install of windows 8.1 to recognize usb drives?
>>
the past 7 posts are all unanswered questions. should have known this thread wouldn't get anything done.
>>
In Chrome, is there any way to have two audio separate windows open playing sound, and have one window play through the right audio channel and the other window through the left channel?
>>
>>51724432
settle down bruh, I just got here, asked my question and now I'm lurking for questions I can answer correctly. why don't you tell us which unanswered question put the bug up your ass?
>>
how often should I replace the thermal compaste on my laptop's processor
>>
>>51717420
>>51717420

Is using an IDE to learn coding as a beginner a bad way to learn?

Can one move from using an IDE to manually writing and compiling at some point?
>>
>>51724587
I'd say it even helps you learning.
Intellisense suggesting you stuff and telling you what something does instead of having to look up every class or method is a massive time saver.
>>
>>51723894
\(\(\d\+\) photos \)\?\(\(\d\+\) hour(s)\)\?\(, \(\d\+\) minute(s)\)\?\(, \(\d\+\) second(s)\)\? of video

And the captures are:
\2: photo count
\4: hour count
\6: minute count
\8: second count
>>
>>51724637
>2 4 6 8
non capturing groups or named groups would make this less confusing to use
>>
>>51724459
no
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 38

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.