[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thermal Paste General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: pic_disp.jpg (429 KB, 1731x1298) Image search: [Google]
pic_disp.jpg
429 KB, 1731x1298
What are you using?
When did you last refresh?
What application method did you use?
>>
>>51716187
le toothpaste
>>
>Now that I know I'm retarded, I'm going to recruit more retards so I don't feel as dumb.
>>
Semen
>>
>>51716248
This desu
>>
Arctic silver five
When i built my rig around half a year ago
Pea
>>
Mayonnaise.
3 days ago.
The french fries leftover method.
>>
When I got my Thinkpad T410, I opened it and found that the previous paste was all gone.

Cleaned it up and used some of the Cooler Master paste that came with my 212 EVO. Did a spread method for both the heatsink and the CPU. Very good results so far.
>>
>I can't afford a decent watercooling so I have to use thermal paste

are people on /g/ really that poor?
>>
>>51716187
>what are you using?
the shit that came with my Scyte cooler
>when did you last refresh
when I built my pc
>what application method
pea
>>
>>51716187

I'm using something I don't remember the name of.

I last refreshed almost a year ago I think.

I just fucking put some shit on there and was like yeah, looks good.

A better question would be why did I refresh?

I checked my cpu temps and they were fucking high.
>>
I haven't changed mine since I got my pre-built PC. Still using a stock cooler.
>>
>>51716187
i used artic silver i guess its a meme paste. but it works good. i just use the pea method. why do people lie and say amd stuff runs hot.
>>
>>51716366
yes, anon. only the poor would consider using thermal paste between their cpu and air or water cooler.
>>
I use Coollaboratory liquid pro between my 3770k 's die and his lapped IHS and between the lapped D14 base.
For "classic" thermal past for the GPU, i used IC diamond, but its pretty hard to spread and tiny diamond can mark/scratch the die so i now use MX-4, a very good past too
>>
>>51716508
exactly.

and what the majority don't know is that thermal paste will slow down the electrons and slow down your cpu by 13 - 21%

just buy a good cooling fan and enjoy your faster cpu without this waste of money paste.
>>
>>51716718
i've personally found that entirely removing all cooling apparatus gives me a measurable 20% performance boost and, as a bonus, also gives me a completely silent system.
the lower classes will never comprehend this feel.
>>
About half a month ago after I RMAed my motherboard, which I bought only 4 months ago.

Gigabyte Z170
>>
>>51716366
nice baiting attempt
>>
[spoiler]why don't they build cpus with the heat sink and the backplate of the cpu as one piece of metal? wouldn't the best solution to have the cpu and heatsink as one unit?[/spoiler]
>>
>>51716187
>When did you last refresh
When will you stop being fucking retarded you stupid moron?
Fuck off, OP.
>>
>>51717175
>I'm a retard and doesn't understand how CPU sockets work.
>>
>>51717175
No, that would be fucking stupid.
>>
>>51716187
Dow-Corning TC-5022
Never since it's still working
Pea drop in the center as specified by the manufacturer
>>
>>51716778

That's because you can heat up your CPU faster (rev up that shit lol), electrons containing CPU data travel faster on high temps also it's comfy on winter.
>>
File: tp.png (9 KB, 586x454) Image search: [Google]
tp.png
9 KB, 586x454
>>51717225
>>51717228
no seriously, pic related, why do we not do the one on the right? surely its the most efficient heat dissipation?
>>
>>51717270
Yes, but how do you decide which fucking cooler to build? Will there be for example 100 versions of the Q6600?
30 different liquid coolers attached to it + 80 different air coolers?
That means you'll have to manufacture 100 different CPUs in order to supply the world with one single CPU type + heat sink bundle.
Also, liquid coolers can break way faster than the CPU. So throw away the CPU when the cooler breaks?
What if you buy the air cooled version but you decide to OC and you wanna switch coolers?
Or you just realize you dislike the cooler and want to switch? There would literally be no other way than to buy a new CPU.

Your idea is not bad at first glance, but when you think about it its fucking retarded.
>>
>>51717344
>30+80 = 100
I fucked up but I hope you get the gist.
>>
>2015
>not spreading paste like it is mayo on a sandwich
>>
File: temp.png (6 KB, 306x55) Image search: [Google]
temp.png
6 KB, 306x55
>>51716187
Whatever came with the 212+
Still using the original application from 4 years ago
Pea method

It could stand to be dusted though.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.